Thursday, February 21, 2019

Thursday This And That

Just in case you happened to miss the complete media blitz of the past 24 hours, it's official ...

Queen will open The Academy Awards Oscar Ceremonies on Sunday Night.

(What made them change their minds?  Who knows ... perhaps the opportunity to be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world in the year of the Queen Comeback?  Perhaps the honor of opening the ceremony?  Perhaps some assurances that their film "Bohemian Rhapsody" is going to be honored in some fashion throughout the night?)

All I know is that this promises to be the most rockin' Oscar Ceremony ever.  (Add Lady Ga Ga into the mix and this year's ceremony might just prove that the Oscars don't need a host after all!)

Has there ever been any ceremony like this before ... for such a sophisticated event???  We can't wait!

And what a great spot for Adam Lambert to find himself in.  (Queen continued to perform for years after Freddie Mercury's death with Paul Rodgers out front on lead vocals ... but between the success of the biopic, and all the accolades afterwards ... plus a brand new US tour just months away ... 2019 just may be The Year of Queen!)  kk

I thought Adam Lambert's performance of Blue Suede Shoes on the Elvis special the other night was the highlight of the program.  He can just flat out sing ... any style.
And Carrie Underwood just may have the most beautiful voice ... and most beautiful legs(!) ... in show business today.
I thought the special was very well done.  Sure, it dragged in spots ... and I agree that Blake Shelton was the least exciting performer of the night ... but I enjoyed it.  And SO good to see Mac Davis perform again. Keith Urban rocked.  Definitely a fitting tribute to the King.
Dave
Lambert and Underwood prove again the impact that American Idol has had on the music scene over the past two decades.  The continued success of Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson drives the point home even further.  We haven't watched it in years ... and I know their new season is about to start ... but there is no denying the talent they have showcased, bringing us vocalists we may never have discovered otherwise.  Check out the YouTube clip of Adam Lambert performing "Believe" at the recent Kennedy Center Honors in front of Cher ... it'll bring a tear to your eye ... much as Carrie Underwood's reading of "How Great Thou Art" would have brought Elvis to tears had he only been able to see it.  (I say that only because most Burger Kings and donut shops don't have tv screens on the premises.)  kk


Hi Kent,
I didn't watch the entire Elvis Tribute as I didn't know it was going to be on and I stumbled across it, so I caught a few acts, tuned out and clicked back.  
My overall view from what I saw was it made me realize what a real talent Elvis was.  Not only did he have incredible talent and innumerable classics, and not only did he have some great material, but also when some of the other artists performed his songs it was karaoke, and to me again, it just showed me what a great artist Elvis was.  Some of the artists I saw did a great job, with others performing his material, it was "just a song."  
Due to Elvis' personal problems, his later career left so much of us with almost a parody of his earlier work, and a false impression of his overall career.  Yes, he had drug and  weight problems, made B-movies, recorded inconsistent material, and had poor career management ... but, when I saw some clips of his overall career performances, it made me realize again what a huge talent and influence he was -- and how much I had forgotten.  
Yes, there was some good performances on the show, and others could have just as well have been on American Idol.  Personally, I liked Kelsea Ballerini's version of "Can't Help Falling In Love."  I liked that she wasn't trying to mimic Elvis' performance ... in fact she made it Country, and you have to admit Elvis definitely had a Country side. 
Yes, I can say Jennifer Lopez was all choreography, and John Fogerty doesn't have the timbre in his voice he delivered on "Born On The Bayou' some 50 years ago -- but I am not the one drawing huge checks today from Planet Hollywood and Wynn-Encore.  
We all have our personal opinions -- let's face it, like chili, music and performers are subjective and so is their ability to replicate their work years later.  
Burton Cummings said one time:  "A song is a photograph" and let's face it, the vocal cords, the artist, the tastes, and times change.  Some artists are able to replicate their work for years, and with others that isn't always the case.  And, you don't realize the difference until you listen to the original "photograph."  
Let's face it, some music is timeless and endures the changes in time and tastes, some not as well.  Some artists have the challenge of their original material later in life, that made them a star.  Singing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" is a little easier to sing when you are 80 than singing  Elvis' "Hound Dog"  or Frank Valli's "Sherry."  And, I am not taking away from Tony Bennett.  
This Elvis Tribute showed me what a one-of-a-kind, iconic talent Elvis was, and some of the less-than-stellar performances validated that fact. 
Peace, 
Tim Kiley  
I've seen hundreds and hundreds of live shows over the years ... and I can say without a moment's hesitation that NOTHING was ever as electric as the first time I saw Elvis take the stage.  It was just a charge that went through you ... partly because of who he was, partly because of all he had done, partly because the music we know and love may not have existed without him, as he inspired SO many that came after him ... but mostly because he just commanded the moment.  I can feel it again just writing about it!
When all was said and done, I saw Elvis a total of three times ... all during the "comeback" years ... 1972 and 1976.  Even the two 1976 shows couldn't compare with that very first time ... but I will never forget it.
I've told the story before that I only watched the Elvis TV Special back in 1968 because I had read in some magazine that Ringo Starr was going to join him on stage to play drums.
I watched the show to see Ringo!!!
I had no history with Elvis ... was too young to appreciate him the first time around ... and, other than a few albums that my mother had (all soundtracks), I had no real feel for his music.  (I remember sitting in the folded-down back of the family station wagon, in my pajamas (!) watching "G.I. Blues" at the drive-in with my parents because my mom wanted to see it.  As such, it's probably still my favorite Elvis soundtrack today!)
But seeing that '68 Special was an education and a revelation.  I was COMPLETELY blown away.  No joke ... I went out the very next day ... rode my bike up to Kral's Record Shop in Cicero and bought the 45's for every song he sang that night, just so I could hear the originals.  Each and every track became an immediate favorite, especially "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "One Night."
It was nothing short of magic ... and I have been a fan ever since.  (The '68 Comeback Soundtrack CD is playing in my car right now!  And it still sounds great fifty years later.)
He was one of a kind.  (kk)

>>>There’s a great book called “Swingin’ Chicks of the ‘60’s” that’s been in my collection for some time now.  (Unfortunately, it’s long since out of print so commanding some pretty ridiculous prices on Amazon) kk  
There are also several "Used" copies available on Amazon for around Five Bucks (conditions vary, of course.) So, I'll give you Six Bucks for yours!
CB ( which stands for "Chicks 'n' Babes!" )
No way I’m parting with mine ... it’s been required bathroom reading material for years now! 
kk
 
Kent,
In today's FH, you mentioned the film "Green Book," along with the Don Shirley Trio. 
Thought you might in be interested to know that WATER BOY made it to #1 here in OKC back in September of 1961. You know, looking over this survey from top to bottom, I noticed that Jimmy Dean's record made it's initial appearance on the survey at song position #15. #28 was one of the earlier songs by Tony Orlando. You'll also notice that at the bottom of the survey is Dion's RUNAROUND SUE. That song now a days is being used in the background of a commercial of which I don't remember. (I believe it's a car commercial but don't know for sure.) 
Speaking of car commercials with our songs being used in the background, you'll notice that song #23, MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC (the old Teresa Brewer tune), is by the Sensations. Their song of LET ME IN is also being used in the background of a car commercial. 
Larry 
I saw the "Runaround Sue" commercial for the first time the other night ... and yes, "Let Me In" has been playing for awhile now.
"Water Boy" did pretty well here in Chicago, too, peaking at #7 on the WLS Silver Dollar Survey ... pretty surprising for a song that you wouldn't think would "fit" into the Top 40 sounds of 1961.  (Then again, "Take Five" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet premiers on this week's chart, too.  It definitely was a different time!)  kk