Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Sunday Comments ( 06 - 28 - 09 )

You guys flooded me with comments this past week ... and I LOVE it!!!
Too much for just ONE Comments Page ... so please check back often this week for more postings.
Meanwhile, let's get this show on the road!!!

re: MICHAEL JACKSON:
The coverage has been virtually non-stop ... it's of Elvis proportions (and maybe even a little bit more so ... as one of the interviewees continues to point out, Elvis never sold 25-million copies of one of HIS albums!!!) We can't keep up with the news developments ... that's what TMZ and YAHOO and MSN.com are for ... but here are a couple of YOUR thoughts and emails on the phenomenon that was Michael Jackson:
Kent ...
It isn’t very often that I’m shocked at the passing of one of our musical heroes, but when I heard about Michael Jackson I was devastated. I’ve known Michael since he was 12 years old and he recorded a song I co-wrote, “Little Christmas Tree” (Clinton / Wayne).
I met him and his family at the Tokyo Music Festival in 1974, and had a chance to tell him how much I liked his recording of my song. I also told him that he was one of my biggest dance influences, which made him smile considering I was three times his age. When I told Michael that I was a song-plugger and I couldn’t go out dancing late at night like I once did, he said “Artie … why don’t you build a dance floor in your office?”.
As soon as I got back to Hollywood, Warner Brothers Music built me a four foot circular plywood dance floor, but a few months later when I went to run A&Ms publishing company they constructed a six foot mahogany one for me! To this day I’m proud to tell everyone that it was Michael Jackson’s idea.
The last time I was in touch with him was when he was about to do the “Thriller” album. He was holding onto one of my songs for over a year, and even made a few suggestions to improve the bridge, but in the end he didn’t record it. I was still grateful for the opportunity.
From now until the end of time millions of words will be written about him and his influence in music, dance, and fashion, but the most important gift he has given the world is everlasting hope and inspiration.
Thank you Michael and R.I.P. ROCK IN PERPETUITY!
Respectfully,
Artie Wayne
http://artiewayne.wordpress.com/about-artie-wayne/
They're all here, “BILLIE JEAN”, Beat It”, THRILLER”, “Black and White”, “I WANT YOU BACK”, “Man In The Mirror”, and 20 more! Rare Clips, Home Movies, rehearsals, and private videos from Michael Jackson, “The King Of Pop!”
Like most of the world I was thrilled with the Jackson Five and Motown’s ““SOUND OF YOUNG AMERICA” when they hit the music scene in the late ‘60s with “I Want You Back”, “ABC”, and “The Love You Save”. When Berry Gordy, Jr. brought the group to Hollywood under the supervision of Suzanne DePasse and Skip Miller I had the rare opportunity to get close to one of the biggest acts in the world, as well as one of the biggest Superstars ever to emerge, Michael Jackson!!
Here are the TOP, BEST, AND GREATEST VIDEOS of MICHAEL JACKSON.
http://artiewayne.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/top-best-and-greatest-michael-jackson-videos/
Regards,

Artie

I still haven't gotten over the shock ... Michael Jackson is dead. I wasn't sure how to react. I mean, I loved his music growing up ... everybody did ... and we listened to it all the time ... it always made us feel good. But I'm so much older now ... and I'm supposed to be a mature adult ... I couldn't see myself as one of those weepy fans they kept showing on tv ... but I certainly felt SOMETHING. To paraphrase Michael, perhaps it really was a "state of shock"!!! Not knowing what else to do, I put one of his albums on ... and within minutes, I felt better. His music ALWAYS made me feel good ... and now, even in this time of grief and bewilderness, it was doing it again. Soon, I found myself up, moving around the living room ... and, before I even knew what happened, I was dancing! I'm not kidding you, I was dancing around my living room to the music of Michael Jackson. It was magical!!! I danced the entire night, listening to Michael's music ... Thriller, Off The Wall, Bad ... even some of the earlier Jackson Five stuff. I'm 55 years old!!! I'm not supposed to be dancing around my living room listening to Michael Jackson ... but I was ... and I danced until 3 am, non-stop. Michael's music did what it ALWAYS did ... it made me feel good. Did I feel foolish? Yeah, a little bit ... but more than that I felt happy for all the great feelings he gave me throughout his career. Michael, we'll miss you ... and, without a doubt, there were times when we wondered what the heck you were doing ... but we'll ALWAYS have ... and LOVE ... your music. Wayne

In a way I keep waiting for the hoax to unravel, as it would not surprise me either if it was some kind of publicity stunt. However, I don't think Michael would be that dumb, because nobody would ever believe what he would say and if he had little credibility left before this, he'd have absolutely nothing if this were indeed a publicity stunt. However as we all know, death is always a great career move in entertainment.
Jack (Rock And Roll Never Forgets)
Reports in the 48 hours after Michael's death show that his record and downloading sales were up nearly 750% ... death is, in fact, big business. Sadly, he won't see any of the money ... and OTHER reports claim he was over $400 MILLION in debt!!! Add in the lost revenue from the tour that never was ... which had the potential to put Jackson back on top ... and this becomes an even sadder situation. I also don't understand the need for Lisa Marie Presley to make such a big point out of saying that Michael always believed he would die young ... just like her father. (If his philosophy was "Die Young, Leave A Beautiful Corpse", he pretty much missed the boat on that one ... after an estimated 50-60 plastic surgery procedures, Jackson's face fell pretty much into the "hideous" category at this point. And seriously ... what man is going to go through the pain and process of 50-60 plastic surgeries and NOT get the penis enlargement?!?!?) kk

re: ANOTHER PASSING:
As if losing Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson this past week wasn't enough, now comes word that Seeds front man Sky Saxon has passed away ...
Seeds Frontman Sky Saxon Dies in Austin
Sky Saxon, lead singer and bassist of '60s garage rockers the Seeds, died Thursday in an Austin, Texas hospital. He had been in the ICU since Monday suffering from an undisclosed illness -- doctors suspected an internal organ infection -- until his wife, Sabrina, announced his passing via Facebook. Influenced heavily by the Rolling Stones, Saxon -- born Richard Marsh -- founded the Seeds in 1965 in California. The next year, the psychedelic rockers released two albums, 'The Seeds' and 'A Web of Sound,' and had hits with 'Can't Seem to Make You Mine' and 'Pushin' Too Hard,' their most successful song. In 1967, the band released two more albums: 'Future,' a psychedelic rock album, and 'A Full Spoon of Seedy Blues,' which was credited to the Sky Saxon Blues Band and featured liner notes by the legendary Muddy Waters. After some lineup changes and a few more commercially unsuccessful albums, Saxon dissolved the band in the early '70s. He joined a California commune, the Source Family, adopted the name Sunlight and occasionally performed with their trippy house band, the Ya Ho Wa 13. In 1989, Saxon reformed the Seeds to tour with other '60s acts like Big Brother and the Holding Company, and Arthur Lee and Love. They toured again in 2003, and Saxon kept busy musically, releasing an album last year, and recording with the Smashing Pumpkins. Though he fell ill last Thursday, Saxon still managed to play a short gig on Saturday night at Austin rock club Antone's.Earlier today, Sabrina Sherry Smith Saxon wrote on her Facebook page, "Sky has passed over and YaHoWha is waiting for him at the gate. He will soon be home with his Father. I'm so sorry I couldn't keep him here with us. More later. I'm sorry." No other announcements have been made.
-- submitted by Clark Besch
Naturally, we heard this news from several folks on the list. The Seeds topped the chart here in Chicago with their garage band anthem "Pushin' Too Hard" ... in fact, they knocked The Monkees out of the top spot when they dislodged "I'm A Believer" from the top of the WLS Silver Dollar Survey. I had the pleasure of talking to Sky once ... I had hoped he would join our list and participate but he told me that, as interesting as it sounded, he just KNEW he wouldn't read it and keep up ... and told me not to bother adding him to the list. Sad news to see another one of our key players leave us ... but we'll feature BOTH of The Seeds' biggest hits today in Forgotten Hits as part of our tribute to this man. (kk)


(click to enlarge)


re: MIS-HEARD LYRICS:
The subject of mis-heard lyrics has come up a number of times over the years in Forgotten Hits ... and have even inspired books on the subject ... (the book "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" immediately comes to mind ... those Jimi Hendrix lyrics ... which he actually SANG from time to time, by the way, alternately pointing at his bandmates Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell ... and "There's a bathroom on the right" from John Fogerty's "Bad Moon Rising" may be the two most oft-cited examples) ... and, of course, there are countless others ... but almost ALWAYS the lyric is being misheard by the LISTENER. (To this day I still hear "Pretty Little Love Song" every time The Marshall Tucker Band's hit "Heard It In A Love Song" come on the radio ... and Fred Winston helped sustain his late '70's radio career by singing "Bald-Headed Woman" to the Bee Gees' tune "More Than A Woman"!!!)
Anyway, now comes word (from Forgotten Hits List Member Steve Sarley) that even some of the best known recording artists misheard the lyrics to some of their biggest hits from time to time!!! He cites two excellent examples below:
A couple of interesting notes I found about errors in lyrics: (By the way, I wouldn't mind hearing Bonnie & Clyde)
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Currie10.html
A very public example of this kind of thing occurred to Georgie Fame who was a song writer and singer (and still is) in the 1960’s. Georgie Fame and his band, The Blue Flames, were very popular and, when they released a record, it was played all the time everywhere. This song was about the bank-robbing duo, Bonnie and Clyde, and included a verse about them stuffing their loot into a canvas bag. Unfortunately, when Georgie Fame wrote the words to the song, he got a word wrong. Instead of referring to a "burlap" bag, he used the word "dewlap". (In case you don’t know, dewlap is the loose hanging bit of skin under the throat of oxen, dogs, turkeys, etc ( you know the bit I mean.) I couldn’t listen to that song without picturing the villains stuffing bank notes into a cow’s mouth and that definitely ruined the dramatic impact for me.This error did not go unnoticed by the rest of the world. Georgie Fame admitted in an interview that somebody had told him, before the song was recorded, that "dewlap" was not the right word but he brushed them off and didn’t bother to check. Once the song had been recorded and released, it was too late to do anything about it. This failure to check (even after a warning) became about as public as a mistake can be. If nothing else, it proved that people do notice these things. From Wikipedia on The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."
The song has spawned a handful of
cover versions.
The most successful English-language cover of the song was a version by
Joan Baez released in 1971, which reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US, as well as spending five weeks atop the adult contemporary chart[3]. Baez's version made some changes to the song lyric; The second line "Till Stoneman's cavalry came".. Baez sings "Till so much cavalry came". She also changed "May the tenth" to "I took the train". In addition, the line "like my father before me, I will work the land" was changed to "like my father before me, I'm a working man", changing the narrator from a farmer to a laborer. In the last verse she changed "the mud below my feet" to "the blood below my feet". Baez later told Rolling Stone's Kurt Loder that she initially learned the song by listening to the recording on the Band's album, and had never seen the printed lyrics at the time she recorded it, and thus sang the lyrics as she'd (mis)heard them. In more recent years in her concerts, Baez has performed the song as originally written by Robertson.[4]
Later
Steve Sarley

I never understood why Joan Baez never changed the gender of the narrator's voice when she recorded this Band classic back in 1971. LOVED the song ... but it bothered me even then! One of Joan's best vocals, too ... funny how when it came to some of their biggest hits, Joan Baez and Bob Dylan BOTH stepped up their vocal prowess for "The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down" and "Lay Lady Lay". (kk)

I like "The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde", too ... always loved that '50's / Fats Domino-like piano intro!!! ... so I'm happy to feature that one today. (Maybe with the new Johnny Depp / John Dillinger movie coming out, this one'll find its way back to the radio again!) kk



re: CARL PERKINS:
Kent,
I received this from an e mail friend and thought it would be of interest to you ... this is a picture of the boyhood home near Jackson, Tennessee, of Carl Perkins ... the King of Rockabilly .. who wrote Blue Suede Shoes.
John Rook

Pretty humbling, isn't it ... to see the early beginnings of guys like Carl Perkins and Elvis and Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis ... they truly did come from nothing ... how could they NOT have been affected by the overwhelming fame??? (kk)

re: DWIGHT TWILLEY:
Yeah, Dwight Twilley! Was on top of him early in ’75 with “I’m On Fire”. One of my fave late 70’s Twilley classics was “Looking For The Magic” from ’77. Great piece of potent Power Pop there! If Radio was any good at all in that time, songs like that would have been big hits!
Ken

"I'm On Fire" is one of my favorites from the '70's, too. (And I liked Phil Seymour's solo hit "Precious To Me", too!!!) Glad to have Dwight onboard ... hopefully we'll have more of his new music to share with you soon! (kk)



re: NUDE BICYCLISTS IN SAN FRANCISCO:
Kent ~
What I found amusing about the nude bike riders is ... HELMETS? That's the ONLY thing they thought to protect? LOL
Red :D
LOL ... yeah, that IS a little bit strange, isn't it?!?!? (kk)
Check THIS out ... even Moms TO BE were out there pumpin' the pedals!!!

THOSE PICTURES FROM SAN FRAN WERE KILLER. THE CHICK WITH THE CAT EARS WAS TOO HOT!!
MICHAEL G. BUSH

See, I figured if I ran nude photos on the website YOU'D be looking for the pussy!!! (Cat Ears?!?!? Aww, c'mon ... it was SORTA funny!!!) kk



re: BUBBLEGUM MUSIC:
>>>What is the origin of that term? Nowadays, very few people will admit to liking that music because it was not hip. I was enough of my own person not to be influenced by lyrics. (Dwight Rounds)

I REALLY do not remember it being referred to as "Bubblegum Music" until late 68 or even early 69! Only when the charts got plastered with Buddah 45s later in 68 did the term come into use, IMO. By March 69, the great (IMO) "Bubblegum is the meaning of life" various hits LP come out. If you check radio airchecks, you will likely not hear the term until 1969!
WLSClark

And I seem to remember the term being used quite a bit ... so now I'm not sure!!! (lol) I was hoping one of our 1910 Fruitgum Company guys might shed some light on this ... but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. (Speaking of The 1910 Fruitgum Company, check out the New Jersey newspaper article below!!!)

>>>Did the Ohio Express or 1910 ever perform live? I know the Archies never did. (Dwight Rounds)

>>>I believe that all of the bubblegum bands had "touring acts" that went out on the road to help drum up record sales. These weren't typically the same folks on the record (although I believe The 1910 Fruitgum Company WAS a "self-contained" unit ... in fact, Floyd Marcus recently shared some of his early concert experiences with us.) This wasn't all that uncommon back then for some of these "ghost" studio groups and artists ... it generally helped beef up record sales and most of these guys were "faceless" entities in the first place. (kk)

They did perform LIVE, whoever they were! In late 68 / early 69, my mom was putting a dance together for the fledging Dodge City, Kansas YMCA. Somehow it came to me and my brothers (aged 10 to 18) as to which group of two choices the Y was given to get for the dance. The 1910 Fruitgum Co. OR the Ohio Express. I took the challenge very seriously, weighing the success of each group to that point. We chose the Ohio Express for $1000. Because my mom booked the band, I got to go to the dance and I had to admit that they were not very bubblegummy sounding at all, so I am guessing it was an imposter group as mentioned above. WLSClark
Remember when you used to be able to WIN a band's concert at your High School ... by collecting chewing gum wrappers?!?! Remember those big chains the girls used to make??? We actually had contests like that here in Chicago ... and the kids REALLY got into them, too!!! We were pretty fortunate ... over the years, my High School hosted concerts by The Association, The Turtles and (naturally) The Ides Of March ... and this was in the late '60's and early '70's when these artists were at their musical peaks! Anybody else out there got some High School Concert memories to share??? (kk)

Speaking of The 1910 Fruitgum Company (who we've given QUITE a bit of press to lately!!!), I want to thank regular FH Contributor Gary Renfield for sending me an article from his local paper, "The Home News Tribune", which (believe it or not) featured an article on the group on the FRONT PAGE of their June 22nd issue!!! In an article titled "Linden Man Back Singing Bubblegum Music", written by staff writer Rick Malwitz, he tells about an upcoming hometown appearance by the band (hey, we know ALL about our Home Town Heroes!!! lol) ... and gives a brief history of the group, too, augmented by some memories of founding member Frank Jeckell. Here it is: (Thanks again, Gary!!!)

Remember the '60s? Remember the music?

"It wasn't a time when things were so cool -- the Vietnam war, race riots. We thought we were a bright spot compared to the darker things," said Frank Jeckell, creator of the 1910 Fruitgum Company, a group that came to define "bubblegum music."

When Bob Dylan was singing about war and oppression, the 1910 Fruitgum Company was recording its signature song "Simon Says."

Sit back. Relax. Pop that bubble gum:

Simple Simon says,

Put your hands on your head,

Let your back bone stiff,

Simon says,

Put your hands on your head

Simple Simon says,

Bring them down by your side.

This was never to be confused with Barry McGuire's "Eve Of Destruction."

"People saw 'Simon Says' as fluff. It WAS fluff," said Jeckell.

It also rose to No. 2 on the hit parade and made it to the Top 10 in the United Kingdom, Japan and Italy. It is still played in nursery schools.

The 1910 Fruitgum Company, originally five guys from Linden, will return to its roots Tuesday, with a performance at the Raymond Wood Bauer Promenade on North Wood Avenue, a free event billed by the Recreation Department as a "Welcome Home Concert."

Since Jeckell reformed the band in 2000, it has performed in Las Vegas, California, Texas and elsewhere.

"We get people in all age brackets," said Mick Mansueto, who organizes the tour schedule. "From teens to people in their 70s who remember this from when they were young --- happy music, nice good music."

Often people at their concerts bring their old 45 rpm records to have them signed.

In addition to its own material, the 1910 Fruitgum Company also plays hits from their youth, songs originally recorded by groups including the Turtles, Freddie and the Dreamers, and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Jeckell's first band was Jeckell and the Hydes. In the winter of 1966-67 Jeckell, then a 21-year-old student at Union County Technical Institute, formed a garage band with four Linden teenagers -- Mark Gutkowski, Steve Mortkowitz, Floyd Marcus and Pat Karwan.

One day, Karwan's father was at a diner on Route 1 when he struck up a conversation with the father of a record producer. The producer heard them sing and signed them to a contract.

They recorded "Simon Says" in Janaury, 1968, and by March it shot up the charts.

"It was amazing. A million people are trying to make a hit recording, and here we were," said Jeckell.

The band was flown to California to appear on Dick Clark's American Bandstand. They were later an opening band for such groups as The Beach Boys and Sly and the Family Stone.

They enjoyed brief fame but no fortune. The record contract for "Simon Says" gave them just 3 percent of the revenue.

"We didn't read the fine print. All the costs of making the record, from A to Z, came out of our share," said Jeckell.

Bottom line: They didn't make a dime.

Then when they signed a management contract for their tour, they got 60 percent of the revenue. But again, they had to pay expenses.

Though he did not get rich off the brief fame, Jeckell said, "I wouldn't trade the experience for anything."

Not all members of the group were impressed with what they had done with "Simon Says."

"They wanted to play (Jimi) Hendrix and Cream. 'Simon Says' was beneath them. They were horrified when it became a hit," said Jeckell.

Within a year the group disbanded. Jeckell went on with his life, graduating from Newark State College (now Kean University) and working in information technology.

In 2000, Mansueto was fishing around for a group to revive. He looked up Jeckell and gave him a call. Jeckell was interested, and a new group was formed using the name 1910 Fruitgum Company.

Jeckell is the only original member. He and Mansueto have been joined by Glenn Lewis of Rahway, Bobby Brescia of Somerset, Oscar Dominguez from the Bronx and Phil Thorstenson from Hamburg.

The name was owned by their record producer who balked at giving it over to Jeckell.

"He said, 'I own the name. How dare you?'" said Jeckell, who used the name anyway. The producer backed off.

As for the name: The story Jeckell tells is that he was fishing around in his parents' attic and came across an old suit with a gum wrapper in one of the pockets.

The story's not exactly true, but it stuck. Like bubblegum.

re: CLASSIC ROCK vs. OLDIES:
>>>I was disappointed that no one else commented on the difference between classic rock and oldies. (Dwight Rounds)

>>>I was a little surprised by this, too. Sad to report that I did not receive one single reply on this topic when we first mentioned it a week or two ago. I thought the list might want to weigh in on this topic and hoped that some of the jocks on the list playing and/or programming these formats would weigh in on this, too. If this changes, we'll be sure to let you know. (kk)
Well I missed the first thread of this subject, but I'm assuming you wanted folks definitions?
For me, when I was younger, I really didn't have any distinction. Oldies were anything not current. Now I tend to think of Oldis as anything pre Beatles and Classic Rock is the music after that. I suppose I do this because it seems to be how radio does it.
Still lovin' what you do, Kent.
BSpro

I had meant to respond to this question, but I got sidetracked. While Classic Rock & Oldies have a huge overlap, they are not the same. The classic rock era really begins with the rise in popularity of FM radio. I seem to recall when WCKG first introduced the genre to Chicago, they promoed it as the music that made FM radio great. In Chicago we had WLS-FM and WGLD that were playing obscure album cuts by then obscure performers. Ron Britain had the Subterranean Circus on WCFL. These were not songs that were heard on your local top 40. Perhaps you could give it a starting point of 6/1/67, the release date of the Beatles Sgt. Peppers LP, however there were other Beatles LP cuts earlier than that, along with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan & Simon & Garfunkel to name a few. Oldies music is more the songs that we heard on the local top 40 from the beginning of the rock era in 1955 to whatever the cutoff point is these days, plus later songs by artists that are perceived as oldies acts. These songs do not include LP cuts. Although Stairway To Heaven is now some 38 years old, it's not an oldies song, it's classic rock. Satisfaction is both. Most of the early Beatles tunes are oldies. It's not until you get to Rubber Soul & Revolver that you would encounter their songs that could be considered classic rock. One hit wonders are almost all oldies. Oldies also includes artists that are not rock and roll. Many of the pop crooners of the 50s did not sing rock and roll, but the songs are considered oldies anyways. That's my shortened definition of the two. I'm sure others will expand upon it.
Jack (Rock And Roll Never Forgets)

I am saddened by BOTH classifications, personally. "Classic Rock" to me is when FM came into top ratings nationally, which puts it in early 70's. I consider the music to be underground or progressive or early heavy metal, but later than what I would call psychedelic music. "Classic Rock" seems to have started in the 80's and was mainly considered 70's FM tracks (usually hits and not obscurities). Today, many of these stations have made the 80's a main staple with the 70's more backup material now.
"Oldies" to me, is a term that has been with us and radio for ages. AM radio had oldies weekends in the early 60's (at least!) and the end of year airplay was usually "oldies" of the previous year. "Oldies" then, was 40's, 50's. Believe me, we heard "Come On a My House" and "Buttons & Bows" (followed by "Anyway You Want it" by the DC5!!) on WLS in the 60's!! In the 60's, "oldies" was ANY song that was not new on AM. I have obscure songs like the Searchers' "Take me for What I'm Worth" being played by Ron Riley as he says "Here's one we have not played in many moons", playing it in late 66, long after it charted. In the 70's, often the oldies weekends played 60's hits, stretching a distance between current and "oldies" songs more than the 60's weekends. In the 80's, all those oldies channels ballooned and the oldies became late 50's rock n Roll through the late 60's, usually featuring Motown WAY too much. As the format grew older, a trend towards 70's additions eventually grew to no 50's songs at all and then to its' current era with little 60's and mostly 80's and 70's and some 90's. A sad fact, but "oldies" have been around "forever" and "Classic Rock" only since the late 70's or early 80's. My thoughts, anyway.
WLSClark

re: RECENT AND UPCOMING SHOWS:
The Dick Dale Concert in Santa Cruz, June 21, 2009:
I'm glad I went, Drumsticks on the bass. Jazz trumpet. A duet on the skins with his drummer. Sang some. Cut up with the crowd ... He made that guitar sing throughout besides all those other bells and whistles ... .I don't gush much about concerts, but if his tour comes close to you, I recommend showing up for your consideration. The next concert dates are listed on his myspace page. I've also added some Dick Dale trax to my current freeform playlist that will be in heavy surf and summer mode 24/7 until September. To lose the commercials and help with artist royalties plus my expenses, the portal to subscriptions is the "support" banner on my myspace profile or VIP button on the player...
Thanx! ~JBK, etc., etc ... Yes, you can turn me on! I'm on the radio! Surf City Sounds Plus: http://www.Live365.com/stations/johns805?play

Here is a copy of the setlist from a recent Bachman - Cummings show:

Running Back to Saskatoon

Albert Flasher

Ain't Seen Nothin Yet

These Eyes

Clap For The Wolfman with intro

Above The Ground (title cut from recent Cummings solo release "available worldwide in 2 months")

Everybody's Cryin' Mercy (upcoming Bachman release)

Your Back Yard (Cummungs)

No Sugar / New Mother

Let It Ride

Undun

American Woman with traditional intro and harmonica

West Is The Best (Bachman solo)

Hey You

Bus Rider

Highway

Break It To Them Gently

No Time

Encores:

Share The Land

Takin' Care of Business
Dan
We'll be there!!! The line-up STILL hasn't been posted on the Schaumburg Summerfest Website yet ... but I have it on pretty good authority that THIS is where they'll be appearing. (Let us know if you're coming up, Dan!!!) kk

Join Sam Lit Saturday Nights from 8 pm at the Savoy (formally the Woodbine Inn) Rt. 73 Pennsauken NJ, 2 miles past the Tacony-Palmyra bridge. Largest dance floor in the Delaware valley. The Savoy holds over 1000 people. The food is sensational. Great Food, Drink & Dance every Saturday Night with Sam Lit. Get off your heels and on to some wheels. Make it to the Savoy, this Saturday Night from 8pm. Broadcast Live over HyLitRadio.com

Hi Kent:
Our North of Memphis band just got a call from JAM and we will be headlining at the Park West on Friday 8/14 ... one of our regular members is harmonica virtuoso Howard Levy, who has been touring with Steely Dan. He will be joining us.
I don't know if you would be interested in hearing this since it's not an oldies thing, but there are a ton of great musicians on this band.
As soon as I get more details, I will forward.
Quent Lang

Yes, please do ... I've heard good things about you guys and am always happy to let other music fans on the list know where they can catch you performing live! (kk)

Next Thursday, July 2, 7 - 8:30 pm, we'll be playing outside in Deerfield - Starbucks Plaza on the corner of Deerfield and Waukegan Rds. (675 Deerfield Rd.) Kick off the holiday weekend with a bang!
Bring the kids to this free outdoor show.
BLUE TRUTH - features Jimy Rogers on vocals, and Gary Gand on guitar, Joan Gand on keys, Graham Nelson on blues harp and vocals, Joel Treadwell on drums, Steve Nevets on bass and vocals.
Because of your continued support, Blue Truth continue to have the most FUN live shows.
It's a BLUE TRUTH PARTY!!!! You’re the best friends and fans a band could ask for!
www.bluetruthchicago.com
Full schedule, music, lots of photos, and more!

K-TEL:
K-Tel Records has come up a number of times over the years here in Forgotten Hits. Sure, we all bought 'em ... but most of us were disappointed by the chopped off endings of most of the songs. Well, now comes word that a K-Tel Reissue Series is coming to CD. Collectors' Choice Music now has FOUR titles available: Music Explosion, Disco Nights, Superbad and Superbad Is Back. They advertise these as: This K-Tel comp 'is' the sound of '70s AM radio — only with much better sound quality than your radio brought you back then! (I wonder if they've solved that whole "brief versions" problem for the CD releases???) Anyway, if you're interested in reliving THIS part of your youth, you can find these CDs here:
Click here: CCMusic Results for k-tel

re: HELPING OUT OUR READERS:

>>A friend of mine asked me if I knew where Bobby Keys was. Of course, I had no clue, but I told him I would find out, betting you or someone in your vast blog audience would know. How about some help on this? (JR)
>>>I'm happy to help put the word out ... but can't promise you any results. Bobby Keys has played with just about EVERYBODY over the years ... let's see if we get any nibbles on this one. (kk)

He has a myspace that he allows people into. Perhaps you can find it there. Carrie

Don't know if that's an option you've already looked into or not, JR, but it sounds like it's worth a shot. Good Luck! (kk)

re: THE DIAMONDS (and DIAMOND DAVE SOMERVILLE):

I'M VERY GLAD YOU HOOKED UP WITH DIAMOND DAVE. I'VE WORKED A LOT OF SHOWS WITH HIM OVER THE YEARS & HE'S A VERY COOL, CLASSY & GRACIOUS GUY. WE'VE SHARED A FEW MEALS ON THE ROAD & HE'S ALWAYS A POSITIVE PRESENCE.
ALL THE BEST ...
MICHAEL G. BUSH
I've had a couple of conversations with Dave now and he REALLY seems like a genuinely nice guy ... would love to catch his show one of these days if he's ever out this way. (The CD I mentioned, "On The 1957 Rock And Roll Greyhound Bus", is a REAL fun listen ... gives you the complete essence of the show. You can pick it up from Dave's website:)
Click here: Diamond Dave Somerville .com
He's now on our mailing list and I hope we hear from him from time to time. (The last couple emails I sent him asking him questions from some of our readers went unanswered ... hoping he'll become another one of our Fly-On-The-Wall Sources that make all these memories so interesting!!!) kk

re: LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS:
I listened to the Sirius-XM Satellite Radio interview of LITTLE ANTHONY of the IMPERIALS ... great stuff ... great stories ... He had plenty to say ... (wouldn't leave in fact) ... STILL A 'FORWARD' WORKING GROUP !Later, I walk into work ... singing (badly) a few bars of ... TEARS ON MY PILLOW while I was walking around ... Next thing you know ... someone else is singing it ... then another, and another ... half the people there (older ones) joined in ... THERE ARE SONGS ... AND THEN THERE ARE SONGS !!!
RENFIELD
Jersey Jock Dave The Rave was recently telling me about the Little Anthony Concert he MC'd right before he was inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ... said you wouldn't believe his show ... does all of his own hits ... and then all kinds of CURRENT stuff, too ... VERY contemporary sounding band and a GREAT performance. Would have NEVER figured that! The Artist Spotlights on XM were always VERY well done ... one of the things I miss about not being able to listen to it anymore. (Although I have to admit that while in San Francisco I finally had to turn it off ... what on earth was EVER the appeal of Cousin Brucie?!?!? It was actually PAINFUL to listen to this guy!!! OK, THAT ought to get me some hate mail!!! lol) kk
>>>VERY contemporary sounding band and a GREAT performance. Would have NEVER figured that! (kk)

YES ... that's what the hour long interview was about ... and how he got the sound for 'tears' ... gives a producer credit ... he was in summer school while the song was number 1 and the other band member with him was working in a butcher shop while they were at the top of the charts ...
RENFIELD