Thursday, May 30, 2019

Thursday This And That

Very special thanks to Lou Christie, who sent us a beautiful wine glass set (for absolutely no reason at all ... other than the fact that he's just an INCREDIBLY nice guy, who really appreciates his fans and his supporters!) along with a beautiful hand-written card that says "Cheers!  Thanks for helping to keep our music alive.  Lou Christie."

There are so many of our favorite artists from the '60's and '70's out there still making it happen ... and we tip our collective hats to you for bringing it home night after night.  I have met SO many nice, appreciative artists over the years, thanks to Forgotten Hits, and Lou Christie's right up there at the top of the list.  Thank you, Lou ... not only for the glasses (which Frannie insisted we try out IMMEDIATELY!!!), but for all the great music and memories, too!  We love ya!  (kk)

I have seen Deacon Blues several times and always enjoyed their tribute to Steely Dan.  It is always delivered with the utmost respect.  (To quote Bob Stroud, "This isn't 'Louie Louie' they're playing here ... it's STEELY DAN!!!")
I can only suspect that you caught Steven on a bad night as he has always been spot-on whenever we've seen them.
(You were a bit harsh on him, don't you think?)
I would encourage you to check them out again.  I do not think you'll be disappointed.
Lou

Believe me, I was expecting the very best, based on all the great things I've heard over the years ... but I cannot emphasize enough how distracting it was watching Steve carry on his own agenda while the rest of the band was playing their hearts out.  It literally ruined the show for us.  But this is a solvable problem, which is why I offer the advise as constructive criticism ... I'm not going to tear down ANY artist just for the sake of tearing them down.
I say analyze  your show ... talk to your fellow band members and most faithful followers ... discuss the points I've taken issue with and see if just maybe there's some room for improvement that would make the experience far more enjoyable for all parties concerned.  'Cause honestly, it was PAINFUL!!!  (kk)

The thing I love most about Forgotten Hits is the fact that you tell it like it is.  You are not going to patronize an artist ... you are ALWAYS going to call 'em as you see 'em.
I love Deacon Blues ... have been following them for years ... but your points are well taken and I have noticed some of these issues, too.
That being said, I would NEVER have the balls to point them out!  (lol)  But that's what we've got you for.  Forgotten Hits has ALWAYS put the music fans first ... and your knowledge and insight seems to be right on the money more often than not.
So I thank you for your candor and your honesty.  It is exactly what we have come to expect from your publication.  Don't ever change.
Rick
We will ALWAYS call 'em as we see 'em ... and that's a promise!  But NEVER without at least SOME attempt to offer ways to improve these weaknesses. Deacon Blues is a very popular attraction here in Chicago and my hope is that when we see them again I can write a far more positive review after enjoying a far more pleasurable experience.  (kk) 

kk ...
Another death to report.
Preston Epps has passed.
Frank B.
Preston Epps scored two Top 50 National Hits in the late '50s / early '60's, first with "Bongo Rock," which peaked at #13 in Music Vendor (#14 Billboard) and then with "Bongo Bongo Bongo," which just missed The Top 40, peaking at #41 in Music Vendor (and #78 in Billboard.)
HI KENT! 
Got some cool stuff for ya! 
THE BOX TOPS  "outa the box" Newsline
BIG! ... 
CITY WINERY NASHVILLE ... BOX TOPS IN CONCERT, AUG 30
BIGGER! ...
2020 ... Florida MINI TOUR with HERMAN'S HERMITS, STARRING PETER NOONE, with special guests THE BOX TOPS!
JAN 30 - Barbara Mann Center - FT MYERS, FL
FEB 1 - CAROLE AND BARRY KAYE Auditorium in BOCA RATON
FEB 7 - Thrasher Horne Center - Jacksonville, FL 
FEB 8 - Peabody Auditorium - Daytona Beach
(on tour with my old boss, Peter Noone ... it's gonna be fun hangin' with them!)
BIGGEST! ...
AUG 31 - SEPT 1 - TEXAS INTERNATIONAL POP FESTIVAL -  50th ANNIVERSARY
We play on SEPT 1 at 7 pm ...
Othert acts performing for this very special event include ZZ TOP, CHICAGO, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, EDGAR WINTER,
JOHN MAYALL AND MORE!
Thanks!
RICK
Congratulations to all the guys!  Job well done!
Keep me posted on the City Winery gig ... quite often they coordinate their own tour, having the performing artists make the rounds and do shows at all their locations.  Who knows ... you just may be headed back to Chicago sooner than you think!  (kk) 
While mowing for the second time this weekend yesterday (this weather has GOT to stop!!), I had my MP3 player on and on came two faves ... "Taxi" and "Hold Me With Your Eyes" ... and that made me wonder ... 
WHAT IF ... Harry Chapin was still alive?  
After he re-wrote his classic 1972 song "Taxi" as "Sequel" in 1981, he would be a shoe in to rewrite it again today as "Uber"!!!

"It was rainin' hard on Lake Shore,
He needed one more fare, then call it a night.
He pulled up to Grant Park and
Kent got in at the light.

It took awhile but he glanced at the
license and my name.
He said,
"HEY, You're RONNIE RICE!!"
OK, so it needs work, right?

The other was ... 

WHAT IF ... a certain WLS DJ had flipped the NC6's "I Will Always Think About You" over and said THIS side is the side to play:  "Hold Me With Your Eyes"?  Would Ronnie have been a star for the band if that had happened?  I am glad it didn't, but what a GREAT A side it could have been!!!
I guess I missed a few spots on my lawn so I will have to go back out again!!!
Clark Besch   

Kent: 
Many thank you's so much for running the photo of Debbie Gibson and I in "Forgotten Hits."  
It was great to catch up with Debbie, and that was without a doubt the best concert I have seen in a long time!  It was two and a half hours of non-stop hits, seamlessly presented.  
New Kids On The Block came out of the stage floor to a massive ovation, and the music from that point forward was endless.  After presenting several of their hits, the stage lights went down and, at the other end of the arena, a different stage came to life, and there was Debbie singing and dancing to several of her own hits, on a circular platform that looked like a giant CD.  Then the same occurred with Tiffany, Salt 'n' Pepa, and Naughty By Nature, each alternating with NKOTB.  What a great evening, embellished with confetti guns, streamers, pyrotechnics, and special effects galore.  
If you can catch one of the shows during this current "Mixtape" tour, it is a journey through some of the most memorable music of the '80s and '90s.  To see and hear Debbie Gibson singing a duet version of her hit "Lost in Your Eyes" with NKOTB's Joey McIntyre was a real highlight.  And, to think that I first met her when she was 16, and singing at The Roxy roller rink.  You go Debbie!  
What an evening of brilliant fun!  Coming to a town near you.
Cheers,
Mark 
kk ... 
I like THIS --- 
Haven't made up my mind about THAT.
QUESTION #1 = You were talking about the high price of Sam's book. I was wondering --- Sam, is that an autographed copy or is it extra for your autograph?
Kent, Since you're the middle man, you should know.
QUESTION # 2 = Kent ...
How did you come up with #3333 for your countdown? 
Why not #2222 or #1111, or maybe #4444?
FB
First of all, if you'll pay $899 for a copy of Sam's book, I think we'd BOTH sign it for you!!! (lol)
As for The Essential 3333 Classic Rock tracks, it's because Classic Rock was born when the LP became the music vehicle of choice in the late '60's ... 
And since LP's played at 33 1/3 RPM's, I just figured the Top 33-Hundred ... plus and extra third would give us the Top 3333.  (Now I know that some of you out there will argue that an extra third would have made the count 4444, but I was basing my math on "hundreds" ... so 33-Hundred plus a third of the next hundred.  And I stand by that argument because it is a well-documented fact that at least five out of three people have problems with math.)  kk

VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
Chuck Buell sent us this one ... and it's a keeper!
I'm still not really clear what it even is that they're advertising ... but this clip along with Satchmo's vocal made my day the other day.  Enjoy!



Chuck also sent us this closing smile ... (which many of us computer-challenged participants can relate to!)  kk