Thursday, July 25, 2019

Thursday This And That

Hi Kent, 
I remember my friend Ken Ferino calling me up a few days before the Led Zeppelin show and asking me if I wanted to join him.   We agreed to meet over there and get tickets the day of the show.  No ticket service and the price was either $3.00 or $5.00.  There were no seats.  You either stood, sat on the floor or found yourself in one of those strange pods. The Kinetic Playground was either an ice skating or roller skating rink before it became a concert venue.  I went on Saturday night and Zeppelin played three sets.  I lived in Chicago and got home at 4:30 in the morning. 
The third set, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant asked if they could play some Everly Brothers songs, but the crowd still wanted to hear the songs from the first album.  What a shame!  Jethro Tull was an impressive live band.  That summer I also saw BS&T, Jefferson Airplane, War with Eric Burdon and even Iron Butterfly at the Kinetic Playground.  As a result, I've never been able to enjoy a rock show in a stadium.
Robert Campbell, thanks for rekindling the memories.
Tom Carroll 
Scroll back to Monday's post if you happened to miss Robert's 1969 Led Zeppelin review.  (kk) 

Hi Kent, 
I have a few corrections to your blog from Sunday July 21, 2019 ... since I assume you always want it right! ;-) 

>>>July 19th – With keyboardist and lead vocalist Stevie Winwood already recording and touring with the super group Blind Faith, The Spencer Davis Group announces that they are breaking up.  Winwood will go on to form Traffic … and then have quite a successful solo career as well.  (kk) 
Traffic was formed in 1967 when Winwood, still a teen but already a veteran of the Spencer Davis Group, hooked up with Jim Capaldi, guitarist Dave Mason, and saxophone and flute player Chris Wood. When Blind Faith quickly disbanded after just one short tour, Winwood reformed Traffic and recorded what became "John Barleycorm Must Die,” released in 1970. 

>>>July 20th - In Spring Hill, Tennessee, Jimmy Buffett marries Margie Washichek at the St. Joseph Chapel.  (kk)
Jimmy Buffet was married in St. Joseph Chapel at Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL in 1969. I am a graduate of Spring Hill College, attending between 1971-1975.  Spring Hill is a Catholic college founded and run by the Jesuit order. 


St. Joseph Chapel - Spring Hill College - Mobile, AL

Me - 1974
Mike Stineman
Thanks, Mike – We ALWAYS want to get it right … and our calendar information comes from a variety of sources, sometimes as many as twelve different ones at any given point in time … so I’m not even sure where the Jimmy Buffett information came from.  I scoured the internet Sunday Night looking for SOME type of validation for your Mobile, AL, reference and came up empty … so I’m just going to have to take your word for it since you went there and I’m sure it was at some point a topic of discussion.  (Thanks for sending us the cool 1974 pic!!!  I love it!)
As for the Steve Winwood / Traffic mix-up, I have amended this copy to read that he “re-formed Traffic” after the break up of Blind Faith.  I really should have known better about that one since we covered the formation of Traffic during our 1967 FH series a couple of years ago.)  kk

WLTL celebrates Mick Jagger's 76th birthday on Friday, July 26, 2019, from 12 – 2 pm CT with two hours from The History Of Rock And Roll. Hour one features The Rolling Stones in the 60s, then hour two continues into the 70s.
Hear the stories from Mick Jagger along with a timeline of Stones music. Plus, Elton John and others add their comments about the Stones.
WLTL streams online: http://www.wltl.net/listen1.html 
Thanks,
Mike Baker  
The Forgotten 45s

Howdy Kent ...
First off, I love all of those terrific baby pics.  So adorable!  Thanks for sharing and congrats to all of the Grandparents!
I am enjoying the Moon Landing pictures, some of which I have not seen before and even the ones that I have seen, I still find it all so mind boggling ... we actually landed and walked on the moon 50 years ago!!!  It never gets old!  I like the 50th anniversary commemorative patch, too.  I want to get one for my grandson.
Amazing pictures of Mary Wilson, Nesmith, Dolenz, Mathers and Dow.  It's fun to see them now and what they look like.  It makes me feel like I am not alone in my journey.
I was thinking of seeing movie "Yesterday," but decided against it. I had seen "Slum Dog Millionaire" and you are right ... the script writers don't seem  to have developed the lead character into the portrayal of much of a personality, which is so unlike the Beatles themselves.  This seems to be how the movies of this genre are.  Although I would have liked the music, I feel it would be a let down. 
However, I enjoyed "Rocket Man."  That movie had a lot of substance and was overseen by Elton himself. WTG, Elton ... You have a hit!
Thanks so much for your dedication to your blog.  It is always of interest and rocks big time.  
Sandy

The other day we told you about John Stewart’s recording of “Armstrong” shortly after the moon landing fifty years ago.
Well, FH Reader Gary Strobl just sent this one-of-a-kind photos from photographer Henry Diltz’s personal journal.  (Where ELSE are you gonna see this kind of stuff?!?!)

Check it out below ...

Hello Kent,
Here is Henry Diltz's journal entry for July 24, 1969.
John Stewart & Chip Douglas recorded "Armstrong" at Bell from 12-6 and then they added strings that evening at Harmony.
GB:  Gary Burden
CD:  Chip Douglas
CF:  Cyrus Faryar
JS:   John Stewart
MS:  Michael Stewart
RK:  Russ Kunkel


Listen to the tune here:  1969_482 - John Stewart - Armstrong - (45)) 
This is the original version.   
Keep up the great work!
Live, Laugh & Dream,
Gary 

Thanks for helping us remember all those Forgotten (?) Hits.
Love and peace ...
Michael Bowers 

And … going for the “win” … why, it’s Chuck Buell!!! 

Hello, Kent!
Thanx for sharing my Sad Supreme Story I experienced some years ago in which I was the Victim of the Vanishing Supremes LP.




You suggested to co-author Mark Bego that maybe you two could get Mary Wilson to sign a copy of her new book, "Supreme Glamour," for me as a consolation!

Well, if so, perhaps that would stop all those Famous Supreme Forgotten Hits from reverberating throughout my head, like ~~~

“Where Did My LP Go?”

It’d be nice to have it ~~~

“Back in My Arms Again!”

But I’ve pretty much given up hope that ~~~

“Someday We’ll be Together Again!”

Even tho ~~~

“My World is Empty Without It!”

But to you, Kent, and your suggestion ~~~

“You Keep Me Hanging On!”

If I did get a signed copy of Mary’s book, that would definitely be  ~~~

“The Happening!”



Chuck Buell
 

How can we possibly NOT give this guy a copy of Mark’s new book?!?!?  He won a copy of Mark Bego’s cookbook … and then shared the results of several of those recipes with our readers … so this would be a REALLY cool way to say “Thanks.” 

But that doesn’t mean that YOU can’t still win a copy!!!
Drop me an email at kk@forgottenhits.com and show “Supreme Glamour” in the subject line and we’ll enter your name in the drawing.
I believe we’ll have somewhere right around half a dozen copies to give away (and this is a VERY nice coffee table book to boot!), so don’t miss out on YOUR chance to snag a copy. (Very special thanks to David Salidor, Mark Bego and Mary Wilson for this awesome Forgotten Hits promotion!)
kk