Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Guest Concert Review #2

HOT AUTUMN NIGHTS
 
I understand. It isn’t Autumn until the end of this month. It wasn’t really a hot night either, weather wise. But it was a beautiful summer full moon evening that turned *HOT* inside the Westbury Music Theatre.  

Gary Lewis and the Playboys, The Association and Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone broke the silence of the evening and created an element of fun that only comes from the flow of energy from a stage to an audience.  

Dressed all in black, The Playboys come down the ramp and take their places, because first to mount the Westbury turntable is Gary Lewis. The first time I ever saw Rich Spina was here in Westbury when HE was a Playboy. My seat was near his keyboards as he set up and he caught my attention as he scanned the audience just before they were announced, obviously looking for faces he knew. Now he has been coming back as a Hermit for many years.  

Gary is very comfortable in his skin and his place in music history. Although he was Cash Box Magazine’s Male Vocalist of the Year in 1965, and is strong in vocal projection, his easy attitude and American magnetism is what has increased his popularity through the years. It makes sense to start with ‘Count Me In.’  Gary has had his quiet years and his toxic years, but never count him out. ‘Save Your Heart For Me’ is the song that every teenager lamented during their family vacations. The time you used to look forward to in the summer, and had so many favorable memories of, now became a burden as you had to leave that boyfriend/girlfriend to the temptation of others while you were out of town. Gary grabs his guitar and talks about the recording of this next song and how, surprisingly, he received his draft notice following its release. The song was ‘Sure Gonna Miss Her’, and he was gonna miss her more than he first suspected.

Do you remember the debut of ‘Everybody Loves A Clown’ on Hullabaloo? As I recall, the set was a playground scattered with children, all with deadpan faces. I never quite understood why this was chosen, except as pure ethereal art. Or maybe the movie ‘IT’ was coming out for the first release? And from clowns to diamond rings, we progress to the song that kicked The Beatles out of their #1 spot. I never know whether to cheer or moan when this happens. Gary, I am happy for you and Louis Armstrong, who experienced the same event, but The Beatles were the reason I decided I would accept growing up. 

Gary’s keyboard player takes the lead on Van Morrison’s ‘Brown Eyed Girl’, while the audience accepts this Playboy take-over; clapping to the rhythms.

Green Grass
My Heart’s Symphony
Just My Style

‘Just My Style’ brings that bass vocal response that brings forward the popular bass line of the 50’s and early 60’s harmonies. Twice The Playboys start up a Foreigner song to try to startle Gary. After yelling, “Bring it on!” to the intro of ‘Cold As Ice’; he sings the first verse and throws his hands up exclaiming, “And that’s all I know.” Yeah, but you startled your band and won the audience over with your confidence. And your vocals on that song had power. It is not your typical Playboy song, but … just … maybe?  

If this show were an Oreo cookie, then the center would be The Association, all in white suits (a night in white satin?) and one trendy Panama hat. There are currently six members touring, with two originals (Jules Alexander and Jim Yester), a “new kid” (who joined in 1972, Del Ramos brother of Larry), a son of an Associate (Jordon Cole, son of Brian) and two more (Bruce Pictor and Paul Holland) to make up the half dozen.

I like Jordon’s readmission of the reed flute that we hear on the originals. Yes, keyboards can imitate, but there is something about seeing him play this instrument in his suit and hat that says classy. 

So let’s open it up with ‘Windy’! I always wanted to be her. I mean listen to her description:

She smiles at everybody she sees.
She tries to capture rainbows.
She has stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies.
And MY DREAM … wings to fly.  

From there we have to go to ‘Everything That Touches You’. Romance still lingers in the air as we jump to ‘Never My Love’. Let’s take a look at these lyrics: 

You ask me if there'll come a time
When I'll grow tired of you
Never my love, never my love
You wonder if this heart of mine
Will lose its desire for you
Never my love (never my love)

When you consider the soothing, sensual harmonies of this group, how could they NOT have been a hit!? And tonight they sound better than I’ve ever heard them. There is a mic problem for Jules Alexander, but the minute he jumps on with Del Ramos, it’s as if history is being made again. I am wowed!

Jim Yester says they opened The Monterey Pop Festival with ‘Enter The Young’, and they sing it now. This is a new one for me to hear live, because NO, I was not at the Monterey Pop Festival. I missed so much!

“As I look around the audience, I see there are many people here around our age. So I want to thank you for staying up late to watch us.” Jim Yester, I slept in late this morning so I could be awake tonight. And then I go home or to my hotel and CAN’T SLEEP because the excitement and adrenaline are still active.

‘Cherish’ is the word that every woman wants to hear. And then ‘Along Comes Mary.’  OK, I really always thought there was a Mary. I am the original Snow White, and did not connect the dots (or the joints) that this song referred to anything controversial. I am also the one who took more than a few minutes to understand why the summer after high school, a car was following my boyfriend and I because, as he explained: “I owe him money.” It’s really much easier being naïve than terrified.  

ENCORE with Windy again and the crowd applauds enthusiastically in appreciation. Thank you to all Associated.  

AND NOW, IT’S PARTY TIME!! 

This does not come from me, but from the combination of the audience cheering and The Hermits running down the ramp, onto the turntable, whooping and hollering. And who follows them? (Oh, come on! This was an easy question) Peter Noone runs down (yes, runs) the ramp high-fiving the audience. Yes, the seats ARE more expensive next to the ramp.

It is obvious the audience expects to have fun. And to our delight, tonight there are two new jokes. No, I will not repeat them. Go hear them for yourselves. Just remember “Peter: pamphlets and potato.” The new three P’s, replacing Alex Trebek’s “Price, Price, Price.”  The banned is again off the stage, performing from the pit. I miss not having them on stage, but as I have previously pointed out, Peter visits them from time to time, with Vance, Rich and Billy rushing the stage, armed with guitars, during the ‘Henry VIII’ intro. Something new tonight is the stage is frozen in time. It does not move during their set. Peter points out that he didn’t know this was possible, and appears to be surprised. LOU CHRISTIE! SEE? THE STAGE DOES HAVE BRAKES! The question came up as Lou was walking on the mobile stage last weekend threatening to get sick. I like this new idea for solo performers. They usually move around as they work, so it is not necessary to have the stage turning. A group who is locked into stationary mics needs the 33 and a third rotation to be accessible to all who paid to see them.

There is nothing I can say about tonight’s show that tops previous narrations. The audience was in the palm of their hands. They are experts, and have a true professional as their leader. 

The set list:
Into Something Good
Wonderful World
Love Potion #9
Dandy
A Must To Avoid
Leanin’ On A Lamp Post
Just A Little Bit Better
Silhouettes
Listen People
Ring Of Fire
Traveling Light … reworded
No Milk Today
The End of the World
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat
Mrs. Brown (the one with the lovely daughter)
Henry VIII
There’s A Kind of Hush

They are not the solo act tonight so the expected standards need to be played, and no surprise entries. Exceptional, as always.

Having just been here last weekend, several staff and audience approach me in recognition. It is interesting that all want to know if I am enjoying myself at this show. Of course I am! I wonder what would/will ever happen if I said, “No. Not really.”

It is almost impossible for me to tell a lie. Always remember that, people.  
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano