Friday, January 17, 2020

January 17th, 1970

1970:  January 17th – Singer Billy Stewart (“Summertime”) dies in an auto accident along with three members of his band in Smithfield, North Carolina



Also on this date, The Doors record their “Absolutely Live” album in Los Angeles

And The Sporting News names Willie Mays the “Player Of The Decade” for the 1960’s.




THE FRIDAY FLASH:
It’s finally happening … for sure this time …
Two years after we first told you that Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman would be touring together again, it looks like they’re FINALLY ready to announce tour dates.
This will likely be the last time it happens and, incredibly, they can’t bill it as a Guess Who tour as the name is currently owned by other former members of the band (who shall remain nameless here … because who else other than Burton and Randy could you POSSIBLY associate with The Guess Who to begin with?!?!)
As soon as the tour dates are announced, we’ll give you the run down here.  (No official word yet if a Soundstage taping is still in the works … but that would certainly be the icing on the cake and a GREAT way to commemorate this awesome reunion.)
Stay tuned for more details!!!  (kk)

Kent,
I thought you might be interested, as well as some of your readers, what was taking place here in OKC 50 years ago as far as the music being played on our local top 40 radio station. The playlist was somewhat shorter; however, there were ten records listed at the bottom as being HIT BOUND. There were still listed at the very bottom PIC ALBS. Some, if not most, of the albums listed had nothing to do with the current format. For example, the survey I sent you has listed an album about the music of Glenn Miller, an orchestra leader, as you know, from the 1930's-1940's. The printing was more legible than that of WCFL.
But Kent, I've got a question to ask you ...
Has it really been 50 years since these records were being played on our favorite top 40 radio station?
Kent, please say it ain't so.
Larry Neal



And, speaking of the 1970 charts, we may be able to add some more street cred to this year’s WCFL Chart feature … 

Long-time FH Reader Clark Besch has put us in contact with Tom Konrad, who worked for WCFL back in the ‘70’s, and actually designed their new “street sheet,” which we will be featuring throughout the year.  (Incredibly, Tom now lives in Belgium!!!  That’s a long way from Berwyn, IL, where I grew up when these surveys were first distributed in stores!!!)   He may be able to offer some insight into the compilation of these charts as we move forward with our Fifty Year Flashback Series! 

By the way, Jack Levin, whose WCFL Survey collection we mentioned here a few weeks back, now has his complete WCFL Survey collection listed on eBay (444 charts in all … plus “a few goodies and surprises” thrown in), with a minimum bid of $4000.  (No bids yet, apparently, but you can check out all the details right here):

Robert Feder is reporting that Amy Louise Williams, the woman who was driving the car that resulted in the death of our FH Buddy, Chet Coppock, passed away on January 5th.  No official word if her death was related to the accident as well, but Feder says Williams “underwent numerous surgeries after the accident near Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, on April 6, 2019. The car she was driving veered across a highway median and struck another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction. Her injuries included two broken legs, two broken femurs, four broken ribs and a broken arm.”  (kk)


I will have to admit that up until the 1990s I had never heard of Rush or listened to any of their songs purely by circumstance. In that time period, one of my best friends, who had gone into the business of managing rock tours, began working on the Rush tours. At the time, his knowledge of Rush was comparable to mine.
For a period of time he went out on all of their tours up until the point in time when the tours started getting bought out by the large national entities. Prior to that, he worked for some pretty big name acts all over the world. Needless to say, I was seventh row, center, the seats reserved for friends and family of the bands, at some pretty decent shows. I don’t think I paid to see a show until I bought tickets to The Cornerstones of Rock show.
Well, Rush came to our town on one of their tours and my high school aged son and myself were invited to the show. Although I was completely unfamiliar with Rush, I was impressed by the economics of their tour. They appeared to sell out all of their shows with little advertising. I actually enjoyed the performance, even though I knew none of the songs.
The performance was interesting as well. There was about a 1,200 square foot area to the left of the stage full of computers, controls and electronic equipment. There was a handful of guys working away in there during the entire show.
After the show, my son ended up getting some of their cds and we did listen to them. There were some songs I liked.
During the following tours, we attended several more shows that came close to town. In the mid-90’s, my friend took my son and the son of another friend on a Rock Field Trip. They travelled with my friend and the band on a three night tour of the Midwest and we picked them up at The Mark in the Quad Cities. Needless to say, they were pretty impressed.
During his tenure with the band, my friend was most impressed with Neal Peart, mostly as an individual and not as a musician.
Neal was an incredibly interesting guy. In the early days, he was an avid cyclist. They would plan their tours so that the weather was in sync for outdoor activities. Whenever possible, Neal would get off the bus, maybe 50 - 100 miles from the show, and ride his bike the rest of the way in. Later, as he got older, he switched to motorcycles, which were trailered behind the bus, and he rode as much as possible to the shows with a friend. Now keep in mind that these were in the days where your phone didn’t tell you every move to make.
Sometime around 2004, I received an iPad for Christmas. I decided to download a Rush album to my iPad so that I could become more familiar with them, as my friend worked for them. They had a new album out called “Feedback” and, not knowing what it was, that was the one I got. It turned out to be one of the best and most interesting albums that I ever bought. It basically is an album of covers. The songs are all absolutely great songs from the mid 60s. As it turns out, these guys liked the same kind of stuff that we did.
The album starts out hard and heavy with their version of “Summertime Blues.”  Basically, in this version, they take the other covers of this song such as The Who and Blue Cheer and meld it into their own unique version.
After that the album settles down a little as follows ... Heart Full of Soul, The Seeker, For What It’s Worth, Shape of Things, Mr Soul (With an Eight Miles High riff inserted in the solo), Crossroads and Seven and Seven Is.
For years, this has been the only album I had on my iPad. This is my go to album when I need an immediate 60s fix and I don’t have the patience to be surprised by Pandora.
Interesting enough, I had my friend over one night after that and we were listening to music. Although he works in the music management business, his mind is more closed than mine. He is strictly a Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, Small Faces, Faces, MC5 kind of guy.
I played the album all the way through. When it was done, I asked him if he knew who it was. He said he had no clue. I said, “Well, you work for them.”  And that’s what a huge pleasant surprise this album is. It also gives you a completely different take on the band Rush, a take I would never have had if my friend did not work for them.
In addition to his interest in bikes and motorcycles, Neal Peart had a pretty unique collection of cars. Seemed like a regular guy.
Robert S. Campbell


Hi Kent ...
I am afraid I don't have any Tommy James memorabilia.  "Hanky Panky" was as greasy as "Louie Louie" and "Wild Thing," too.  I agree with Sam ... maybe next year for the Hall of Fame induction. 
Anyhow, sounds like you had an amazing time seeing the Beatles cover band "Fab Four."  I will check them out hopefully in June by me in Morristown, NJ.  
Keep Rockin’ -
Sandy

Ronnie Rice has just been booked at The Metropolis Theater in Arlington Heights, IL, for a show on Friday, April 3rd.
It’s being billed as “Ronnie Rice and Guest” … (Skip Griparis perhaps???)
I saw Skip do his solo show there a little over a year ago.
Beautiful theater if you want to join in on the party!  (kk)


The Peter Tork Memorial Monkees Convention has been booked for Saturday, February 8th at The Best Western Plus Hotel in North Haven, CT.  It’ll run from 1 – 8 PM (with an early bird noon VIP option so serious collectors can have first access to the vendors / dealers marketplace.)  There will also be an after-convention party at the hotel, which is included in the admission price.  (Tickets are limited so there is no guarantee that tickets will be available at the door … use the links below for purchase your tickets now … or email MonkeesFanConvention@gmail.com for more information.
 


More tomorrow in Forgotten Hits ...

And be sure to stop back on Sunday to see this week's WCFL Top 40 Chart ... from exactly fifty years ago!  (kk)