Thursday, January 9, 2020

Thursday This And That

Bouncing back and forth between our 1970 Calendar Of Events and our current stream of ongoing events makes things a bit more challenging and confusing this year … but it’s what we’ve committed to … and I’m sure we’ll all adapt eventually!  (lol)

Here are some of the topics that have been on your minds recently … 

HELPING OUT OUR READERS:
And this is a BIG one, folks!!!

I received this email from Carol Ross, Tommy James’ long-time manager, who is looking for material to include in the movie currently being made about Tommy’s best selling book, “Me, The Mob And The Music.”
Now I know of a few of you out there that can probably bury me with stuff … so let’s touch base before you start unloading everything so that we can zero in on more of what she’s looking for.

But here’s a copy of her original email to me, right after the first of the year …

Hi Kent,
I wish you a very successful 2020 with great expectations ...
I am hoping you can be of some help to us.
Our producer for Tommy's movie needs vintage photos, trade publications with TJ chart positions, posters from the 60s with TJ ... really, anything Tommy James ...
We are gathering what we have but I am sure there is a lot more stuff out there ... let me know - will greatly appreciate your assistance.
Thanks ...
Carol


DON IMUS:
Rewound Radio ran the expected tribute to Don Imus on Saturday, January 4th (unfortunately prior to our new Comments Page going out this morning.)
Not as many comments as I was expecting from our readers, however, on this guy … a broadcasting legend.

Hello, Kent ...
Received this a few hours ago from a friend of mine in Sarasota, FL, from today's Sarasota Daily Herald.
Mike
====================================
from today's Sarasota Herald-Tribune (1/3/20):

Imus always went too far
From the early days of broadcasting a century ago, the business had its outlaws. They built radio stations in border towns just across the Rio Grande and cranked their signals far beyond the 50,000-watt limit mandated by the U.S. government. They filled the air with stemwinders, spellbinders, conspiracy theorists and purveyors of quack remedies.
North of the border, radio created mass culture. Suddenly everyone was dancing to the same music, falling for the same crooners, tuning in at the same hour to the same dramas and comedies and political speeches.
South of the border was the land of rebels, titillaters and scandalizers. John Romulus Brinkley, a medical charlatan of epic proportions, opened the first Mexican megastation, call letters XER, across the river from Del Rio, Texas, in 1931. The million-watt signal was so strong it could be heard in the barbed wire of nearby ranch fences and as far away as Canada.
Speaking for hours on end, Brinkley rambled about topics ranging from the federal government’s machinations against him to the value of goat testicles for treating sexual dysfunction. There was music — XER was country music’s incubator, hatching the likes of Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter family. There was wild, passionate Pentecostal preaching. There was peddling of sketchy merchandise, including, for a time, autographed photos of Jesus.
Most of all, there was a voice, hypnotic and compelling.
For Don Imus, outlaw radio was the best kind. As a young man in the early 1960s, Imus didn’t tune his receiver to some cookie-cutter Top 40 station playing a rote rotation of 2 ½-minute pop hits. He dialed in XERF, a direct descendant of Brinkley’s border blaster, where a charismatic broadcaster known as Wolfman Jack did his strange and edgy business. The Wolfman’s music was good, but his talk was the thing. He howled. He rasped. He said things Mom and Dad would not approve of, speaking to the entire body: ears, brain, spine, gut, libido.
Imus, who died a week ago, was a radio revolutionary. What he perceived, earlier than most, was that the rise of television during his adolescent years meant that domestic radio was going to lose its role as the maker and arbiter of mass culture. The time was ripe for the outlaws.
During a career that filled a half-century, the I-man applied the lessons of outlaw radio to the evolving technologies of modern communication. He made radio interesting — not like a seminar is interesting, but like a bank robbery is interesting. Like emergency surgery is interesting. Like climbing a cliff with no rope is interesting.
He broke every rule, written and unwritten. He swore on the air, mused about his genitals and asked female callers whether they were naked. He trafficked in racial stereotypes and epithets. He spoke disrespectfully of authority figures. He got suspended, got reprimanded, got fired and got rich on his way to the Broadcasting Hall of Fame.
The essence of outlaw radio as practiced by Imus, by Howard Stern, by Rush Limbaugh, by Art Bell is authenticity. A man - it’s always a man - sits at a microphone and bares his soul, his body, his lust, his fear, his paranoia, his insecurities, his resentments, his biases, his megalomania, his mean streak, his sentimental side. The revelation is different for each broadcaster, but whatever it is, it must be real — and the assay of authenticity is his willingness to go too far.
The I-man was always willing. 
David Von Drehle
David Von Drehle was an editor-at-large for Time Magazine, and is the author of four books.

kk …
We all know that Imus was not a modest guy. 
And he wasn't above patting himself on the back. 
I've been listening to some old clips.
He said to an interviewer "There's only one person who has more Marconi Awards than I have … Paul Harvey.  What is Paul on the radio for, three minutes a day?  Give Me A Break!" (Paul Harvey would give his news observations once an hour.)
“Two important events in radio history: 
1 = Marconi invented the radio.
2 = I was on the radio.” 
Humble man.
FB

Speaking of broadcasting legends (OK, maybe I’m being a little kind!), Bob Sirott is back on the air as of yesterday morning on WGN Radio here in Chicago, weekdays from 5 – 9 am.  (I’m kidding, of course … I’ve been a fan since forever and it’s great to have him back on the air, albeit in a bit of a more “grown-up” role than we would have liked … but still, this guy just oozes personality from back in the day when personality was a VERY important ingredient in radio.)

This one cracked me up …

When Robert Feder asked him …
What’s the best advice Larry Lujack ever gave you?

Bob Sirott replied …
Lujack once told me: “Robert, you haven’t really made it until you’ve been fired, divorced, and sued.” I can check off two out of three and I think I’ll stop there.
I also liked these exchanges …

RF:  When can we expect you to bring back the BS Love Counselor and BS Horoscope?
BS:  We’ve scheduled that for the 12th — of NEVER!

RF:  What do you think Wally Phillips would say if he heard you were hosting mornings on WGN Radio?
BS:  There goes the neighborhood.

And, while we’re on the topic of broadcasting legends, here’s the latest on The Dick Biondi Documentary … which Pam Pulice assures us WILL finally see release in 2020!

Happy New Year, Kent and Frannie!  
Thanks for everything you do to keep this community vibrant.  It’s unlike anything else I know of and it’s due to your passion and extraordinary dedication.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful people who have supported our mission to bring the Dick Biondi story to the world, including you Kent.  The highlight of 2019 was our big fundraiser, captured in this awesome video filmed by "In A Nutshell TV Show’s" Delores Weissman.  Part 2 (there are 4!) features a  rare performance by Carl Giammarese and Dennis Tufano, backed by the fabulous Meteors, Jimbo rockin’ the house, Live Auctioneers Actor Joe Farina and the great showman Ron Onesti, our superb emcee Scott Mackay, and a special appearance by radio and television star Bob Sirott.  There is a salute to the great Bobby Darin by Dennis Tufano singing Mack The Knife.

Here’s the link: 

Watching Delores’s video rekindles the good vibes and the incredible talent that made our fundraiser so successful and allowed us to get to ACT 3, our final act of the movie.  
We’re almost there!  We intend to push to make 2020 the year we give birth to this dream.  We are blessed to be part of this amazing community!  
With love and gratitude,
Pam Pulice
Director 
www.DickBiondiFilm.com 

ANOTHER KILLER COUNTDOWN:
I missed this when it began airing the Day After Christmas on Sirius / XM’s ‘60’s Channel (A – because Frannie went into the hospital that day and B – because my subscription to Sirius / XM expired that day!!!)
For about a month prior, The ‘60’s Channel asked their listeners to vote for their favorite songs of the ‘60’s.  You were allowed to pick ten favorites from the early ‘60’s … and ten more favorites from the late ‘60’s.  Forgotten Hits Reader Frank B (by way of Forgotten Hits Reader Jay Siegel of The Tokens!) sent in the final list … and there are some REAL surprises here,
including the #1 Song, “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers!  (And "Hey Jude" doesn't make its appearance until #32!)
Sure, many of the typical suspects are way up there ("Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones came in at #2 ... and we've seen it top many of these types of lists before) ... but for every expected triumph ("Oh, Pretty Woman," #4, "Downtown," #7, "My Girl," #9, "Yesterday" (#10) there are more than a few surprises by how highly some '60's classics ranked that may be some of OUR favorites ... but that seldom receive the type of respect they deserve.  ("California Girls," 5, "Cara Mia" by Jay and the Americans, #6, "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, #13, as just a few Top 20 examples.)
There are a few '70's songs that don't really belong on this list ... so I can only assume that they received enough votes by listeners to force the station to bend the rules a little bit.
And, for the record, Jay Siegal's Tokens just missed The Top Ten, coming in at #11 with their '60's (and all-time) classic, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."  (kk)

kk …
I got this countdown from Jay Siegal (Lead Singer Of Tokens). 
If I keep playing these JUKEBOX COUNTDOWNS, I'm going to have to go back to work in order to pay for it!
Today I played, off your list, #40 - 21.
Next Thursday, it’ll be the top 20.
Frank B.

Also from Frank B ...
 
Now THIS is a countdown I can get excited about.  (It would've been better if they used the real Drifters.)  My favorite group the Platters made four appearances.
FB


The announcement of your top 3333 countdown put me into a tizzy.
Can I define Classic Rock?
Can I keep within my own definition?
Do I nominate my faves only or try to be open to looking at songs I truly do not like, but which may be deserving?
What about my students’ faves?
I chronically dislike some of their choices, and others I have come to enjoy through new eyes.
So, I decided to watch the nominations.
I mean, 3333? There is bound to be at least one I like! (sarcasm at its best).
Once it came to final voting, I did put votes in through other people. HARD!! I heard dissention from the readers as well as agreement. But it was all informative to we educators (and their bright-eyed pupils … ok, corny!) Some of the same-old songs we overhear and some that I did not even remember.
The point that was clearly made is NOT that the songs we hear constantly are not worthy, but that there are SO many more choices that we could be hearing.
For me, I return to my vinyl records when I want to hear what I don’t hear on radio. This is not everybody’s available option. Well done job to everyone who had any role in this, as confusing as it may have been.
I woke up to a rainy morning recently and felt gloomy and dull. I remembered a conversation with one of my granddaughters about being able to listen to ANY type of music, including seasonal, whenever we want. I put on some Classic Christmas records and felt enlivened and had a great day. I texted my son to tell her and she replied: “Music can just make anything better! It’s just so important!” Isn’t it though?
And yes, there is a direct genetic line there.  She is the one who could find The Beatles app on her father’s phone at 6 months old.
She is now 7 years old.
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

We're still waiting for the official, print-out version of Rewound Radio's Year-End Countdown of Listener Favorites ... what say you, Allan Sniffen?  Something we can print at home and share with our readers sometime soon???  (kk)


THIS AND THAT:

We got a kick out of the 1974 ad for Jim Peterik's appearance at a club near where we live here in Nashville. I never visited the Frontier Club. It didn't last long at all, but I hope Jim had a pleasant engagement there. 
David Lewis

Everybody's talking about this performance from "America's Got Talent" ... a new interpretation of the Queen Classic (and, according to you guys out there, The Most Essential Classic Rock Song Of All-Time) "Bohemian Rhapsody by 13 year old Angelina Jordan, including the members of Queen themselves!  (Hmm ... I wonder how long it'll be until she's up on stage performing this with the band!!!  Hey, let's face it ... they discovered their current lead singer, Adam Lambert, in a singing competition as well!!!  Certainly she deserves at least a moment in the spotlight, backed up by the band's full endorsement!)
Of course they'll have to learn a whole new arrangement in order to do so.

Check this out if you haven't already seen it ...
 


From FH Reader Tom Cuddy …

Singer-Songwriter Jackie DeShannon Discusses the ’50s L.A. Music Scene – Variety

He also sent us this Happy New Year Brian Wilson clip to share …
Here’s a new video than Brian Wilson sent out to his fans.  Some media outlets have picked up on it as well.  In the video, he’s included photos taken with some fellow artists he admires, including Russell Thompkins, Jr., the Zombies and Jeff Bridges.
Tom


Kent,
In addition to the artists that passed away in 2019, I received an email from a friend of mine that said Norma Tanega passed away recently. She had a big record locally back in 1966 here in OKC with a song called WALKING MY CAT NAMED DOG ... I always did like it Don't know if it charted in Chicago or not.
As for that commercial featuring SUNSHINE LOLLIPOPS AND RAINBOWS, I have always thought it was a Lesley Gore sound-a-like but I could be wrong.
Larry Neal
“Walkin’ My Cat Named Dog” is one of those songs I could go another entire lifetime without hearing and not be bothered in the slightest!  (lol) 
It DID chart here in Chicago … but only got to #35.  (Somehow it reached #18 nationally in Record World … #22 in Billboard.)
Tanega died on December 29th at the age of 80.  (Actually one month shy of what would have been her 81st birthday.)
She recently had another fluke bit of musical success when her recording "I'm Dead" was used as the theme song of the FX television series "What We Do In The Shadows."  (It was also used in the movie of the same name.)  She also stayed on the media radar due to her paintings and brief affair with singer Dusty Springfield. 
You'll find an interesting article about her here:
https://www.dailybulletin.com/2020/01/02/norma-tanega-cat-named-dog-singer-dies-in-claremont/

I've only seen the “Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows” commercial that one time so it's hard for me to weigh in on this with any certainty …
There were times like it sounded just like Lesley Gore and other times like it didn’t … so I really can’t say for sure.  (I always did like that song, however.)
It clocked in at something like 1:37 … one of the shortest hit records ever.  I can still very clearly remember the day I bought that 45 (with a picture sleeve) at our local record shop in downtown Brookfield, IL.  I remember it so clearly for a couple of reasons …
Every week my brother Mark and I would ride our bikes “into town” to stop at the drug store, buy a couple of comic books and have a soda at the soda bar that was still installed there … and then head down the street to the record store (I cannot remember the name of it to save my life … but it was a REALLY small Mom and Pop operation) to pick up the latest WLS Silver Dollar Survey and buy one new 45.
I remember this particular day because, as I scanned all the entries in that week’s Top 40, I asked my brother, “Which ones of these records do you think will make it to #1?” … to which he replied, “Well, they all will.”  (Yes … it was one of those slap your forehead moments!!!)
“No they won’t!” I said … “Only a few songs ever make it to #1.”  (I would have been 12 years old, going on 13 at the time.)  THIS was the 45 I decided to bring home with me that night … so I stuck it in my bag with most probably the latest Superman and/or Batman comic I also bought that day.  (I couldn’t help but think how STUPID my brother was to think otherwise!)
Then we rode back to the drug store to get our sodas.
When we sat down at the counter, I ordered a Cherry Coke.  (This was back in the day when they had to actually MIX a Cherry Coke at the counter.)  My brother paused for a minute, looked around and then said, “You know what … I think I’ll have a 7-Up.”
At that moment, the man sitting next to him said, “Good choice, young man,” and paid for my brother’s soda!  I was dumbfounded … until I happened to notice that he was wearing a 7-Up uniform and had most likely just delivered this week’s supply to the drug store!  (I couldn’t help but think how STUPID I was at that moment!!!)  lol 
When we got home, I immediately put my new 45 on the turn table and was SHOCKED to see that the song was over in 1:37!!!  I just spent $1.29 on a record that only lasted a minute and a half!!!  I had to play it three times just to make it feel like it was worth as much as many of the other records in my collection.
But then I did something else that I’ll never forget.
I flipped the record over and played the B-Side.  (Now you ALL know how important B-Sides are to me!)
And on the flip side of that record was one of the greatest songs Lesley Gore ever recorded.  It’s a tune called “You’ve Come Back” … and to this day I rank it right up there with “You Don’t Own Me” as one of her best vocal performances ever.  It’s still one of my all-time favorite B-Sides (and made our list of Top 200 Favorite, Forgotten B-Sides several years ago.)   
So yes, this was a pretty memorable day for me!  (kk)



DIDJAKNOW:  “Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows” was written by Marvin Hamlisch, who eight years later would have his own big #1 Hit when he recorded “The Entertainer,” an old Scott Joplin tune from the early 1900’s that was used as the theme song to the Paul Newman / Robert Redford movie “The Sting.”

And, Lesley’s hit ALSO came from a film … the completely forgettable “Ski Party!”  (Gore’s hits were being produced by the up and coming Quincy Jones at the time … so let’s just say she had a pretty solid support team working with her on the way up!)  And, of course, my all-time FAVORITE Lesley Gore song, “You Don’t Own Me,” was written by our Forgotten Hits Buddy, John Madara!  (And THAT one's been used in ITS fair share of commercials, too!!!)  Now how’s THAT for a Crash Course Music History Lesson?!?!?  (kk)

MORE COMMENTS COMING UP TOMORROW ...
In Forgotten Hits!