Sunday, March 1, 2020

The Sunday Comments (3-1-20)

What a great way to start the day …

>>>It was Twenty Years Ago Today … and it really was! 
On November 26, 1999, the very first Forgotten Hits Newsletter went out by email to a select group of 35 readers ... people I had met in the AOL Oldies Music Chat Room.  We've grown a bit since then ...  (kk)
I was part of that chat room back in 1999.  I may have even spoken to you and your lovely wife, Cherricat.  (I still call her that screen name ... lol!) 
I thought it was so cool how you guys met online ... this was a radical idea back then!
I think it was "Sev"... Severino, Steve, also from NJ, who introduced me to your blog at the Hugy Oldies party, yet in its infancy.  This man, Sev can sing!  So we all go back a ways. 
Over 20 years now since you started your blog for the true fans of vintage music.  Wow!  You have held my attention for a long time. lol....
Best regards and keep on a rockin' in the USA.
Blossmwrld

Hiya Kent ... long time!
Really great job on your comments and tidbits about each leap-day charts since the '50s this weekend.  Your love of the music we all were weaned on shows in every post.
I am not here to necessarily plug anything ... this time … but watch this space!
I have some stuff up my sleeves (including some with the legendary The Late Joey Reynolds) that may surprise a lot of people. 
BTW, Joey's daily exploits are all over social media.  Seek them out as The Late Joey Reynolds.  He is far from dead as of this writing.
This is my 50th year as a radio and sometimes TV personality.  I have the stamina and grit to go for another 15 (or more) if the Big Guy says it's OK. 
Kudos for your continuing passion and getting the stories about songs and performers correct.  It is so cool to read what the actual artists, producers, songwriters, etc. of the songs we adore add to your one-of-a-kind publication. 
I may not always comment; but I read your page whenever possible. 
It IS a shame that radio practically ate itself in the last few years.  Some of those so-called owners responsible, should be doing jail-time, including some FCC types.
I would like to be one of the people to help re-paint the luster of that magical invention called RADIO in its 100th year -- plus TV and streaming.
I find it astounding that I have weathered HALF of that century doing what I love.  
I don't LIVE in the past; however, I choose to celebrate it in an entertaining and informative way -- like you and your cast of thousands do in the NOW. 
Be BIG!
Big Jay Sorensen
Former WCBS FM, Sirius, WNNNBC AM, New Jersey 101.5, WPST FM, WPHT AM, WWDB FM, KLIF AM and a few more great talk and music facilities!
Psssst: I wanna add to the list.

Kent,
THANK YOU for the WONDERFUL posting of the Leap Year Countdowns!!  Your work is tremendously informative, nostalgic and enjoyable!!
Ron Lange

>>>Leap Year Countdown Song #8, 1976:  50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon:   OK, tell the truth ... did anybody out there actually COUNT them?!?!? I've never been convinced that Paul Simon really told us all fifty ways!  (kk) 
Kent,
All 50 ways are listed on the 12 inch version.
Jack

And, speaking of Leap Years …

It’s hard to believe that Davy Jones has been gone eight years already …
He died on “Leap Day” in 2012.
Me-TV acknowledged the event this way:

Joel Whitburn has a brand new book coming out in March that recaps EVERY Top Ten Hit on EVERY National Pop Chart, showing the peak performance and trade publication in which it earned that distinction as well as how it fared in the other trades.
Plus it now recaps the charts from 1950 – 2020 … an incredible SEVENTY YEAR look at the most popular music of our time.
This is a must have for all you chart fanatics out there.
More information can be found here … and you’ll even get a $5 discount if you pre-order this book now!

Thanks Kent ...
I was finally able to see the list of Top 300 songs from your Top 3333 Most Essential Classic Rock Songs list … my computer actually cooperated!
Between songs 200-300, there are a lot of my personal favorites.   I like the top songs that were chosen, but do not necessarily agree with the selection.  Apparently, my favorites come much later on the list.  Thanks for consolidating the list so that I can have a look/see. 
It would be nice to have the complete list … a few of my friends have been asking me about it.  We shall see.  So much work involved. 
Kudos to you for spending most of your summer (if not all of your summer!) working on this enormous project. 
Sandy
It’s coming, it’s coming.  We’re getting closer and closer to having the final list available to send (and hopefully ignite another round of interest in the results on classic rock radio.)  I know, I know … where have we heard THAT before!!!  But I really have been using this project to fill any vacant time in my already-maxed-out day … so I really don’t think it’ll be much longer.  (Of course, as I type this, I cringe at missing my March 1st personal deadline … again!  But we’ll see … we’re closer than ever!)  kk

And, speaking of countdowns …

kk ….
I think I told you that I was going to play the Top 600 songs of the 1960's in Larry's Pub Jukebox, as compiled by XM / Sirius Radio.
3/1/2020 will be day # 16.
I'm down to the Top 20 …
          20 = "ONLY THE LONELY" - Roy Orbison
          19 = "BEYOND THE SEA" - Bobby Darin
          18 = "THEME FROM ‘A SUMMER PLACE’" - Percy Faith
          17 = "YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN'" - Righteous Brothers
          16 = "SOUND OF SILENCE" - Simon & Garfunkel
          15 = "EVE OF DESTRUCTION" - Barry McGuire
          14 = "THE TWIST" - Chubby Checker
          13 = "CRAZY" - Patsy Cline
          12 = "CATHY'S CLOWN" - Everly Brothers
          11 = "THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT" – The Tokens
          10 = "YESTERDAY" - Beatles
            9 = "MY GIRL" - Temptations
            8 = "I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND" - Beatles
            7 = "DOWNTOWN" - Petula Clark
            6 = "CARA MIA" - Jay & Americans
            5 = "CALIFORNIA GIRLS" - Beach Boys
            4 = "OH! PRETTY WOMAN" - Roy Orbison
            3 = "HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN" - Animals
            2 = "SATISFACTION" - Rolling Stones
            1 = "UNCHAINED MELODY" - Righteous Brothers
My observations –
No Elvis ? No "MACK THE KNIFE"?
You know how much I love COUNTDOWNS, even CLASSIC COUNTDOWNS.
Frank B.
Based on airplay alone, you’d think Elvis’ “Suspicious Minds” would have made the cut … but keep in mind that this was a fan-voted countdown.  Still, I’m sure it falls pretty high up on the list.
“Mack The Knife” was the biggest hit of 1959 … and thus is ineligible for a1960’s Countdown.
We’ve run links to the complete list before …
Here it is again for the benefit of anybody who may have missed it:

Hot on the heels of being eliminated and exposed on The Masked Singer, a brand new Dionne Warwick collection covering The Arista Years has been released …
It’s a 12-CD Box Set encompassing everything she recorded for the label along with a bunch of bonus and previously unreleased tracks.
More details here:

Ask Harvey if he knows who in Burton's band impersonates Wolfman Jack
(unless you already do!).
Bob Frable
Whenever I’ve seen Burton perform it, he has always done those parts himself … not so much as an imitation of The Wolfman … but more a case of incorporating several of the ad libs into the performance of the song.  (This one is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser … he typically performs it pretty early in the show and the audience just sucks it up!)  kk



I love the Guess Who from Canada, our northern neighbor. However, I do have a problem with "American Woman."  Sorry.
I will say, though, that the guitar is very cool in the song.  I can listen to it if I ignore the lyrics. 
Thanks, Kent.
Sandy

There are still a few … VERY few … tickets left to see The Ides Of March this Wednesday Night (March 4th) at The City Winery.  (This show WILL sell out!)  So you’d better act quick to snag ‘em.

And The Metropolis Performing Arts Centre in Arlington Heights (a GREAT place to see a show, by the way … small … intimate … and with excellent sound) has a few shows coming up that might appeal to our local readers.
On Friday, April 3rd, you can catch Ronnie Rice, formerly of The New Colony Six, performing in a show that’s being billed as “An Evening With Ronnie Rice And Guest” … and on Friday, April 17th, The Chicago Experience return to Metropolis for what is, BY FAR, one of the best tributes I’ve ever seen done, performing the music of Chicago … along with “A Tribute To Rock With Horns.”
More information can be found at their online box office:  metropolisarts.com.
(Both of these shows are also expected to sell out as well … so you’d better act fast!)
Meanwhile, you’ve got until Tuesday (March 3rd) to enter to win a pair of tickets to see Al Jadine at The City Winery on March 31st … and until Friday, March 6th, to win a pair of tickets to see The Bay City Rollers at The Arcada Theatre on Friday, March 13th.  Get those entries in NOW!!!
(Deadlines for our other recent give-aways … the Mike Bego / Elton John book and the Mr. Rogers Tribute CD have now passed.)  kk

kk:
Bobby Darin explains why he took part in "PRESSURE POINT."  I still think he should've won Academy Award.
FB
It’s a pretty impressive performance for a first time acting role.  Having never seen the film before, I actually bought a copy of the movie to watch while I was writing the Bobby Darin Series all those years ago.  (kk)
Darin fans can check it out here:

kk: 
Here’s something you and readers might enjoy …
https://www.musicconnection.com/carole-kings-writer-turns-50/
Harvey Kubernik