Sunday, April 19, 2020

THE SUNDAY COMMENTS ( 04 - 19 - 20 )

Billboard Magazine ran a recent article about The Mike And Micky Show … obviously sidelined (just like virtually EVERYTHING else in the world today) due to the pandemic.

A live album performed by Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith IS available from the previous tour … but folks have been anxiously awaiting for the newest leg to kick off.

Hopefully, the world will soon be safe again (God, I hope so!) and things can return to normal … or, as everyone keeps saying, the NEW normal.  Not sure of exactly what all of that will mean to all of us … but as much as I’m itching to get out and see some more shows, I want to feel that I’m not putting my life at risk in doing so!


Steve Perry has recorded a completely a cappella version of The Beach Boys classic “In My Room” … in his own room, confined by COVID-19 isolation.  (The song takes on a whole new context in today’s environment.)
Perry says “When I was a teenager in my room, this song gave me comfort.  ‘In My Room’ was an anthem to my teenage isolation. I just wanted to be left alone in my room, where I could find peace of mind and play music.  One late night, I was sitting in my room thinking about so many things. This song came into my mind, and it brought me some comfort. I hope it does the same for you. Stay safe." 
At the end of his performance, as he turns off the recording device, you can hear him whisper “Hang in there.”  (kk)


I have to give credit to all the people creating music parodies on this virus. So far I have heard from: Beauty and The Beast, The Little Mermaid, Kokomo, Bohemian Rhapsody (2), Theme song from Friends, and more …
While I can appreciate them now and laugh, and even use them to connect music in history at school, when I am looking in my rear-view mirror at this, I truly will NOT want to hear them. And then I walk into my office where the radio is on and this is playing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCuiN2JnjpE
I know it’s Mad Magazine Music, but maybe a good Covid19 song isn’t so bad after all.
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

As always, seems to be the case after one of our music heroes passes away, sales of John Prine’s catalog albums have put him back on the Billboard Charts again.
Prine’s self-title debut album premiered on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums Chart at #55 … that’s 100 spots higher than it  peaked when it was first released in 1971.
Prine’s final album, “The Tree Of Forgiveness,” is also back on the chart, debuting at #55 this week.
Bill Withers ALSO experienced a HUGE increase in sales and downloads as “Lean On Me” and “Ain’t No Sunshine” debuted at the #1 and #2 spots on Billboard’s Digital Sales Chart.  (It has always amazed me how this music attracts both old and new fans once these artists are thrown back in the spotlight again.)  Sadly, these songs don’t typically stay on the chart for more than a few weeks … but at least folks are making new discoveries by paying long overdue respect to these artists by downloading them now. (kk)

It is with great sadness that I announce our dear friend Johnny Williams (Thomas DeAngelo) has passed away from the effects of the covid19 virus. His family has now made the news public this evening. Johnny will be cremated and a memorial will be announced in upcoming days. We lost Johnny Thursday late afternoon to this dangerous and fast moving virus.
Johnny was from Allen Park and came to the Big 8 at the height of the station's popularity in 1968 and stayed for close to 15 years.  He was the man who replaced Alan Almond on the Pillow Talk Show on WNIC then took the show to other markets like Chicago with early forms to tape syndication. Johnny also was one of the first wave of DJs at the new Sirius Satellite Radio in the 90's.
Johnny also was involved with managing local band Tim Tam and The Turn-Ons in the 60's and was a huge supporter of his son's band The Phoenix Theory!

J.W. was one of my early inspirations to get into radio.  He had a set of pipes that you did not forget and was heard on many of the CKLW promos and commercials over the years.  I'm sure that many readers on your Forgotten 60's page have heard of him (** not **  to be confused with the Johnny Williams Boss Jock from Los Angeles radio) or have met him -- especially some of your musical artists. 
And another blow to the Big 8 / Detroit radio family this week,  Robin Seymour also passed away.  Seymour also hosted the local Detroit TV bandstand show "Teen Time".
Uncle T. Jay

Bob Sirott (now on WGN Radio in the morning) is bringing back one of the great radio voices of our time beginning Monday, April 27th, when he starts airing vintage episodes of Paul Harvey’s “The Rest Of The Story.”
Harvey came into our homes for decades.  Thanks to syndication, his distinctive delivery style … and sense of humor … endeared him to millions from coast to coast.
I finally listened to Bob at his new digs the other day on the way to work.  While I have been a fan of Bob Sirott since the first time he hit the airwaves here in Chicago (his time on both WBBM-FM and WLS were MUST listens for me every day back in the ‘70’s), I have never been a real fan of WGN … but I wanted to hear what Bob sounded like on the radio all these years later … and what type of style he had adapted to on the all talk station.
Honestly, I was shocked!
I don’t know what kind of filter they’re broadcasting his voice thru but honest to God, he sounds younger NOW than he did when he first took to the air in the early ‘70’s!!!  It's like it has completely altered the pitch and sound of his voice ... and it doesn’t sound at all natural.
Now I’ve watched Bob thru the years … watched him grow up right before our very eyes … mature and change his style numerous times to fit the needs of wherever he was broadcasting from … hell, I’ve even met the guy in person a few times and talked to him “live” … but WGN is doing SOMETHING in filtering his voice as it comes across the radio … and I don’t like it.  He sounds like an 18 year old kid!!!
As such, I am sad to report that WGN has youth-enized one of our radio heroes!!!  (kk)

Hey there!
I just discovered your awesome website today. You guys do a great job. 
Please send me a copy of your list of top 3333 songs.
Thanks … and keep up the good work.
David Bolkin
Will do.  Thanks, David … and please help to spread the word!  (kk)

Lots of buzz about The Wonders this week as they reunited for a special television broadcast (which I, of course, missed due to having to work late that night).  But the entire broadcast IS available on YouTube if you’d like your chance to view it.
“That Thing You Do” a GREAT film about a fictional band making it in the ‘60’s, put together by Tom Hanks, who also directed and played their manager.  The title track was also a BRILLIANT piece of pop music, written by Adam Schlesinger, who we lost recently to the CoronaVirus.  The actors performing as The Wonders in the movie didn’t actually perform the song … this was all done under Schlesinger’s direction with a studio band that featured Mike Viola on lead vocals … so I wasn’t quite sure what the appeal was of seeing these guys reunite to sing this tune.
From what I understand, it was much more of just a conversation, reminiscing about the making of the movie.  (I’ve seen much older anniversary look backs, one of which even featured Charlize Theron, who had a relatively minor role in the film, wondering on camera “I can’t remember … did I show my boobs in this one?”  Love it!  But no, Charlize, you didn’t … damn it!)
Reading up a bit more on it, it sounds like the four Wonders watched (from home in quarantine!) the film together again, making comments along the way.  (They’ve even set up their own YouTube Channel!  You can check it out via the link above.)

Naturally a reunion such as this has caused quite a bit of press …


From Billboard:
And Rolling Stone (a great interview with the cast in this one):

I was able to get the original flier that came with the movie premier back in early 2000's.  I loved this recreation of the Hot 100 with the Wonders FLYING up the chart.  First the movie pic and then the original.  Dang Me if it wasn't cool to see this!


What happened to 3 weeks ago position above????


Clark Besch

And here’s some news about another ‘60’s band who are making a bit of a “comeback” these days … 

Quintessential American Garage Band THE LIMITS Continue To Find New Fans Under The Leadership Of Musician RICK LEVY!
Memphis rock icon Alex Chilton of Big Star & The Box Tops called The Limits “the quintessential American Garage band…both preposterous and sublime,” and said their version of “Suzie Q” was “the best I ever heard.”
Formed in Allentown, PA, in late 1964, The Limits were by 1965 playing all over the Lehigh Valley at frat parties, teen clubs, school dances and more. Chris, Rook, Beau Jones, Rick Levy, Irwing Goldberg and Jack Shaffer honed their skills with constant gigs and rehearsals. The collection Garage Nuggets ’65-’68 is a compilation of the early Limits recordings - live, in the studio, in rehearsal - capturing the band’s first attempts at songwriting while the collection Songs About Girls captures their later incarnation from 1979-1988. Both collections have been reissued on all digital music platforms courtesy of a licensing arrangement with Garage Masters, a division of Cleopatra Records, Inc.




Rick Levy, who spearheaded the band’s ‘80s revival, continues to keep The Limits torch burning bright with gigs and special engagements all over the US delighting fans with their authenticity and love of early pop and rock. Levy has also gone on to perform with and manage such artists as Jay & The Techniques, Herman’s Hermits, Tommy Roe, Freddy Cannon and currently performs with The Box Tops. Levy’s memoir High In The Mid ‘60s - How To Have A Fabulous Life In Music Without Being Famous is available on Amazon or at www.ricklevy.com.


 


Send this off to Bob Lind ... He might get a kick out of it.
Jack

I did … pretty cool to see Bob as the “pick hit artist of the week” … in CANADA no less!  (kk)

And here’s another one of Frank’s Funnies …

After our Horse With No Name video last week, I’m thinking we should do a Horse With No Name funny EVERY weekend!!! (kk)