Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Sunday Comments ( 05 - 24 - 20 )

Kent -
Thank goodness for your blog.
It's keeping me filled in on what all my artist friends are doing during these times.
The Happy Together Tour dates in June have been rescheduled for September and October.
Looks like we may be starting the tour at the Ryman in Nashville in mid-July.
We are all keeping our fingers crossed that the theaters will start to open by then.
In the meantime, I'm working on a new CD featuring the animated shows I did. Of course it will include some unreleased Archies songs as well as some from the Amazing Clan and The Chan Clan show.
Stay safe and we'll get by this time and return bigger than ever.
Ron Dante

Kent,
Man, it's so refreshing that you're still doing this, and doing it better and better!
I'm glad we got to meet up all those very many years ago in your beautiful city, and I'm always happy to receive the newest email.
Stay well through this mess!  All the best to you and yours.
Warm regards,
Bob
Bob Rush, D.C. (still playing, but no mo' pro!)

FH keeps it coming! Great job, kk!
Phil

Congratulations to our FH Buddy Bob Stroud who celebrates his 40th Anniversary of playing Rock And Roll Roots this morning on The Drive, 97.1 WDRV, from 9 am till Noon Chicago time, with a rebroadcast tonight from 9 pm till Midnight.
The Drive has been Stroud’s radio home since 2001, after spinning Rock And Roll Roots favorites on a variety of stations on the Chicago radio dial, including WMET, The Loop, AM 1000, WLS-FM (then called CD94.7) and WXRT.
Along the way, he has released a dozen Rock And Roll Roots CD compilations, often with live in-store launch parties featuring live music by some of the acts who have appeared on these CD’s.  (I am very proud to have every of these in my personal collection and think that I have been to all but one of these parties held over the years, where Chicago’s Local Heroes typically performed and then autographed copies of the new release afterwards.)
Stroud told legendary Chicago Media Columnist Robert Feder (who also celebrated HIS 40th Anniversary this past week covering the local media scene), “In May of 1980, when ‘Rock ’n Roll Roots’ debuted on WMET, Dick Biondi was debuting his new Sunday morning show opposite me on The Loop.  I remember thinking: ‘What are the chances?’ I didn’t think ‘Roots’ would last four weeks let alone 40 years. I’m a lucky guy.”
Still currently tops in the ratings (after all these years), they don’t come much better than Stroud when it comes to a knowledge and love for this music.  (He even sang lead for Chicago’s Cryan’ Shames for a spell, after fronting his own band Rockestra, who performed at a number of the local fests around the area.)
I have been a listener from the very beginning, and told Bob the other day that my mom used to hold the radio to her belly so that I could listen from the womb ... and, as such, I've been hooked on rock and roll (and Rock And Roll Roots) ever since.
All kidding aside, MUCH admiration and respect for a job well done.  (We can't POSSIBLY be this old, can we?!?!)  kk

Hi Kent,
Thanks so much for your very nice words and thoughts. It’s been a very rewarding experience with just a few speed bumps along the way.
Thanks for all your support and all my best for your continued efforts in keeping Rock and Roll alive and strong!
Regards,
Bob 

One of Bob’s comments from YEARS ago still adorns the front page of our other Forgotten Hits website: 

Thanks for all you do.  I continue to read each and every Forgotten Hits, start to finish, faithfully! 
Bob Stroud
Rock And Roll Roots
WDRV-FM / Chicago
http://forgottenhits.com/

Hi Kent, 
Fun to see all the Dennis DeYoung chat this morning. 
I am a Styx fan from way back … OK, not after Dennis was gone, however.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Grand Forks, North Dakota, were big Styx towns long before the rest of the country. I think it was because the Music Director was the same for both stations and he liked the band.
In Grand Forks, North Dakota, where I grew up, we got to hear stuff from Styx 2 on its first release. I had to order the album to get it since the distribution wasn't great. When The Serpent is Rising was coming out, they opened for Brownsville Station at the Grand Forks Fair Grounds and I saw them there. I was just starting in my first band and was always a DJ freak since that's what I wanted to be. I pestered all the guys at KKXL in Grand Forks all the time. They were great to me and put up with my endless questions and requests. One of the DJ's, Chuck McCalum, knew I loved Styx and told me if I wanted to meet them to go back stage after they were done and he'd introduce me to them.
YES!!!!!
My best Friend and I went back after they were done, and Dennis and JY came up to us and Dennis said, "You must be Bill." I was stunned. Needless to say, it was incredible. They chatted with me and my friend for about a half an hour.  How did they know me? Well, I wondered that at the time, but then my friend pointed out that the DJ knew me and probably told them to look for a couple of high school kids, and that I was the blind guy.
It's great to see that Jim Peterik and Dennis worked together on Dennis's latest album. I have the pleasure to be in a band here in Minnesota, The Fabulous Armadillos, and we've had Jim in as our special guest a couple times. He, too, is a great guy, and shared some great stories with us. I love his new tune with Robert Lamm.
Bill in MN
I love that new Peterik / Lamm song, too, and have listened to it several times now … it just has such a GREAT feel to it.  I’m hoping radio will pick up on this track and show listeners out there that these guys have still got it!
I’m happy to see Dennis’ new album getting so much press.  Jim told me earlier that they were hoping to wrap up the next video as soon as the “Stay At Home” order is lifted here in Chi-Town.
For some reason, Styx has wound up as the butt of a number of jokes by comedians who either really believed the band was lame … or were just so jealous that their girlfriends loved them, they still haven’t gotten over the anxiety yet.  There’s no denying their success.  They scored 16 Top 40 Billboard Hits between 1975 and 1991.
Scroll back to last Thursday’s post and listen to the interview Dennis DeYoung did with Geoff Dorsett and listen to his commentary on power ballads … it’s spot on (and something I hadn’t actually considered before.  (kk)

kk …   
Little Richard Remembered and Laid to Rest in Alabama
Little Richard's Funeral
FB

Hi Kent,
Thanks for the info on the "Clear Lake" movie about Buddy Holly!  With Maria Elena involved, it should have a lot of personal insight. 
"That'll Be the Day" was the first 45 rpm record I bought so I have been a big Buddy Holly fan a looong time.
As for the Beach Boys,  having another anniversary concert, I think, is a SUPER idea. It doesn't matter that they are not close to each other.  They are legends and their music performed LIVE should be appreciated. Too many of our legends are passing on.
Carolyn

This “live music being performed at drive-in movie theaters” idea really seems to be catching on!
Here’s a report that Billboard Magazine ran earlier this week …
The last of the drive-in movie theaters disappeared in this area a couple of years ago … but I can’t believe it would take much to resurrect them again … social distancing (in your own car) … a giant “big screen” to beam the show for all to see … and potentially even the ability to tune in to the live broadcast on your car radio within the facility.  I think there’s some real potential here (everything old is new again!)  Of course in OUR area, facilities like this might have a 6-8 month “season” at best due to the weather situation … but I still think this thing could take off.  (kk)

Don’t know if you got this, but I signed it. Forwarding in case you have not seen it.   
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano 
We need to find a way to keep these venues and artists strong.  All have lost their entire source of livelihood due to this pandemic.  Funds are being raised everywhere else, including specific targets like restaurants and organizations like MusicCares (see Jim Peterik’s note below).  But we need to help keep these places alive so we’ve still got somewhere to go to see all the great entertainment out there.
There have been all kinds of reports on the news about prisoners not getting the type of medical they  need through all of this … yet the people and organizations who bring JOY to our lives (rather than terror and fear) seem to be falling by the wayside.  So please check this out … as well as Jim’s streaming concert below … and let’s get at least SOME of the money into the hands of those who have helped to lift our spirits and get us through the whole horrible ordeal.  (kk)

Hi Kent! 
LOVE that photo of Jerry Lee with Don Everly and others. I can only imagine the music they were making that day. Between the Everlys and Jerry Lee, they set my young soul on fire back in the 50’s.
Also, I’m making sure Sir Dennis sees this edition of FH!  We are hard at work on the music video for his next swingin’ release (Greg Bizzaro producing) “With All Due Respect!”
This coming Wednesday evening (May 27th) Cathy Richardson and I are doing a live stream fundraiser from the Jam Lab. I’m hoping you will post our official announcement.  Many thanks.
“A very special evening with Jim Peterik & Cathy Richardson ”Streaming live, unplugged and six feet apart from the Jam Lab!
(This will be a Facebook Live thing from Facebook.com/OfficialJimPeterik)
Your host: Colin Peterik - May 27th, 7pm
Premiering their two new songs “The Best In Us” and “Comeback Story,” playing their biggest hits and taking requests from YOU!
Donations can be made to MusicCares to support gigging musicians.
Be there! Or be a rhombus!!
Rock on!! 
Jimbo


And, speaking of live streams and bandsintown.com, Shelley also sent us this link to listen to a Fab Four live stream NEXT FRIDAY NIGHT (May 29th) at 8 pm Chicago Time.  Now we’ve been singing the praises of these guys for YEARS now … (just type Fab Four into the search engine at the top of the Forgotten Hits page to read some reviews for yourself!) … and this time around they’ll be recreating the “Let It Be” album for this very special show.
More info on how you can see and enjoy this show via the link below:

I well remember – and still have and treasure- the fantastic photograph book that accompanied The Beatles’ Let It Be album. I actually looked at again about a week ago before your comments ran and really, really enjoyed it.
It had the most sensational Ethan A. Russell photos and carried the title The Beatles Get Back.
I loved the original movie because it showed the Fab Four at work and obviously in turmoil.
I am not championing this forthcoming Peter Jackson film that purports the four in total harmony.
Clearly, it wasn't that way. I'll got to see it, somewhat begrudgingly, but knowing it's not the way it was.
David Salidor
The minute I heard that the British version of “Let It Be” came in a boxed set that included this booklet, I made it my life’s mission to obtain a copy … which I finally did (and at no small expense I might add!)
I got to look at and enjoy that book exactly ONCE!!!  The binding was SO brittle that just the slightest thumbing thru it cause the pages to fall out in chunks, or go flying across the room as single sheets.  I have no idea what kind of glue they used when binding this thing but it was a complete disaster.  If they were ALL bound that way, I’d venture to say that VERY few copies exist to this day.  (If yours is intact, consider yourself to be one of the fortunate ones.)
I would LOVE to have a copy of this again … I can still remember the INCREDIBLY beautiful and striking photography throughout … not much of a “story” to read … but the pictures themselves were priceless.  I’m hoping that whenever the 50th Anniversary release finally comes out, they do it equal justice.
Like you, no remake will ever live up to the original … and I agree that these were hardly the most harmonious for The Fabs … yet the fact that they actually rebounded from this whole fiasco and came back to record the absolutely BRILLIANT “Abbey Road” proves that they couldn’t have been at each other’s throats at all times.  (Honestly, John seemed bored and detached for much of the film, content to just spend his time instead with Yoko … it was a new love that changed his life and his drug use was closing in on an all-time high … no pun intended.)  It may be some of his weakest work yet.  (Seriously, a third grader could have written “Dig It” … and I really believe that his “Everybody had a wet dream” segment of “I’ve Got A Feeling” was spit out more in spite than creative genius.  Keep in mind we’re talking about one of the greatest songwriters not only of OUR time, but of ALL time!)  “Across The Universe” was brilliant … but that track was already over a year old when Phil Spector remixed it and stuck it on the final LP.  Still, there are moments that are just pure joy … like when John and Paul are huddled around the same mic singing “Two Of Us” and Paul breaks into his Elvis bit, cracking John up, who then begins adlibbing the ending … or the sheer delight they took in resurrecting “One After 909” ten years later to perform it again.  Get Back to where you once belong indeed.  (kk)

Hey Kent:
Every day when I wake up I feel like I'm living Bill Murray's character in the movie GROUNDHOG DAY. At least I get an almost daily dose of Forgotten Hits, which is required reading in this epidemic.
I had never heard the Canadian group Daybreak's cover of "Good Morning Freedom" that you featured on Monday. To my ears, it lacks the punch of the original by the UK session musician supergroup, Blue Mink.
They were fronted by American R&B songstress Madeline Bell and UK tunesmith Roger Cook. Bell had scored a US#26 Billboard hit in 1968 with "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me," which The Supremes and The Temptations made into a bigger hit at the end of that year.
Blue Mink burst onto the British charts in 1969 with the curious song about a racial utopia titled "Melting Pot."  Even the members were surprised when it shot up to UK#3. But it's obvious that such sentiments would never play on US radio in 1969. "Good Morning Freedom" was a collaboration between the cream of the crop of UK songwriters, Roger's Cook and Greenaway plus Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood.  It was released on March 28,1970, and reached its UK#10 chart peak on April 25.
The group would score seven UK chart hits from 69-73, but none jumped the pond. "Good Morning Freedom" was one of my personal favorites when I was a US serviceman stationed in London at the time.
Mike Gentry

I would agree that the Blue Mink version is far superior to the Daybreak version we featured … but it never even charted here in The States.  (That doesn’t mean it isn’t a great record!!!  We just never got the chance to enjoy it.)
Perhaps a more interesting version exists on one of Elton John’s early Reg Dwight Demo Tapes that he recorded for those “fake” hits albums in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s before he made it under his own name.  (By the way, a rumor persists that since Elton was close friends with both Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway, he very well may have played piano on the Blue Mink recording as well.)
Check out THIS recording … had somebody chosen to release this version instead, Sir Elton’s career may have taken a far different turn … and the world may have been cheated out of HUNDREDS of great original tunes.  (kk)

>>>Why does every Police version of “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” I have ever heard sound like the vocals are totally too low in the mix?  It renders the song hard to listen to.  Am I the only one who noticed this?  Just wondering ... (Bill Mulvihill)
>>>I never have … probably just the final mix???  But I’ve never found it bothersome.  Anybody else out there care to weigh in on this one?  (kk)

Hey Kent,
As far as I know, all of the versions of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic on CD are the LP version. On the commercial 45, the vocals are much more prominent in the mix.
Hope this helps.
Ed Osborne

Hi Kent,
The 45 rpm version of "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is a slightly different mix than the LP version.  The 45 has the vocals mixed louder and clearer than the LP version.  The 45 also fades much sooner than the LP version.  Sadly, the LP version is the one most commonly issued on CD.  in fact, I know of no domestic CD that contains the 45 version.  It really is a much brighter mix.
Paul Haney
So there you have it!  (It’s very frustrating when a band or producer goes into the studio to “punch up” the record for single release … and then the consumer gets stuck with the lower-prioritized album version when they go to buy it.)  A lot of artists put special effort into their single releases to give them just the right “hook” to capture the audience (usually as an afterthought once the album is out and successful and they need another single to keep the sales momentum going.)  Unfortunately, it’s always the buyer who gets penalized in the process.  (kk) 

We’ve mentioned the dark comedy “Dead To Me” a few times now in these pages.  Stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini are perfectly matched and regularly exhibit brilliant comic timing.  (A nice twist was to have “Peg Bundy” (Katey Sagal) join the cast this year as Judy’s (Cardellini’s) mother, thus reuniting one half of the Bundy family.  Ed O’Neill just wrapped up his eleven year run on “Modern Family” and Bud … well, Bud’s Bud I guess.
Anyway, my reason for mentioning this is because of the unusual mix of music they featured this season (solid thru and thru.) 
Totally placed in the “today,” it’s kinda cool to hear Brook Benton’s “It’s Just A Matter Of Time” and “Who’s Sorry Now” by Connie Francis and “I Only Have Eyes For You” by The Flamingos and “Why Don’t You Do Right” by Peggy Lee as background music … gotta wonder who planned this musical backdrop!  Still pretty cool ‘tho … and the show’s a lot of fun, too.  (kk)

Anybody got any ideas about this one?

Hi –
I am looking for a folk violin instrumental from the 60’s or 70’s called 101.
It was by a German or French group.  Can you help please?  Thanks.
Sandy MacWhirter

Here’s an unusual piece sent in by Frank B …
A deleted scene from a 1967 Bobby Darin UK television special called “The Orphanage” …
Perhaps too “unconventional” for TV back then … and still a bit strange now!  (kk)
kk …
First time i'm seeing this one. 
By the way, that guy Ed was right, I was wrong about Ritchie Adams –
He was a member of the Fireflies, not the Vogues.
I see you’re getting some sign pictures.
I think I have Sam beat regarding three weeks to the gallon. 
I bought my Honda Fit on Father’s Day, 2009.  I
 have a little more than 5000 total mileage. 
Now that I can't go to Larry's Pub, I'll use my car less than I usually do.
FB

Here’s another 50 year anniversary.  I have attached a story that was forwarded to me this past week. It is an extremely well written story pertaining to Jimi Hendrix’s last concert in Milwaukee, WI, on Friday, 5/1/70. It also references a show the following Saturday night, 5/2/70, in Madison, WI.
The Madison show was my third and final Jimi Hendrix concert, as he passed away the following fall. I remember heading up to Madison on that same Friday night as there was another concert there that night, as well, featuring Jefferson Airplane, I think, and Sly and the Family Stone. I’m not positive about the Airplane, but I think that’s who opened the show. I remember the weather as being extremely cold that weekend and still just like winter.
The Dane County Coliseum was notorious for ruining a show. It was like a great big upside down concrete bowl and the acoustics were horrible. On that night, Sly did not need any help ruining his show … he was able to do that all by himself. He was completely loaded and could barely stand up.
We returned to see Jimi the following night. For some reason, Jimi was on top of his game and the venue did not affect his performance at all. From 68 to 70 I was fortunate enough to see Jimi three times. All of his performances were quality shows and all were of a substantial length. The show in Milwaukee seemed a little shorter in length, but the show in Madison was not a shortened show.
I was impressed with the author of this story. He really appears to have done his homework and it is very informative. He also mentions The Scene in Milwaukee, which was more like a bar type venue. I remember returning to The Scene in late fall of 1970 to see Rod Stewart and the Faces and Fuse as the opening act. Fuse had a substantial array of Sound City amps and ironically blew the fuse on the electrical system at The Scene on their opening chord, five times in a row, before it was corrected.
This article on Jimi’s Milwaukee show is pretty lengthy, so you might want to just attach it as a PDF file so anyone interested can just click on it to read it.
Robert Campbell
We’ve run exclusive pictures of Jimi performing at The Scene before in FH … seems like he enjoyed playing in Milwaukee almost as much as the fans there enjoyed seeing him!
The article Robert attached is eight pages long … but I will be very happy to forward it to anyone out there interested in seeing it.  Just drop me a line and I’ll send it along.  (kk)

My name is Ron Funk. I recently came across your articles about Majestic Hills in Lake Geneva, Wi, requesting more information. I was in a band whose manager, Bill Grunow, owned the venue. Because of that, I was fortunate enough to open up for many famous groups on a regular basis.  Most memorable for me was Stevie Wonder. It was after his first hit. Because my drum set was set up near their band after my performance, he actually did a short solo on my set. He also started to play other instruments, too. He was very talented.
Our manager Bill Grunow also was able to get us a recording session at Universal Studios in Chicago. The name of our band was The Geneva Convention and we were based out of Lake Geneva, WI.  We performed locally at Majestic Hills, opening for acts like The Association, Stevie Wonder, The Buckinghams, Vanilla Fudge and Crow.  Our producer was Bill Traut, who also produced the American Breed and the Shadows of Knight. Beverly Hills Records was our record label and the record "Something Beautiful" was on WOKY radio for three weeks with a promise to be a hit, according to a Milwaukee Journal critic. (I’ll try to send you a copy of this article.)  After distribution problems, it was taken off the air ... so I was almost famous!
That's my story. Any other questions, please reply. Thank you.
Ron Funk … Still playing drums as hobby at 71 years old
We’ve got a lot of readers in the Milwaukee area … including Gary Myers, who literally wrote book on Wisconsin Rock … and Ken Freck, who put together the Joel Whitburn-like book documenting all of the records to make the WRIT Top 40 Survey.  (They were the other powerhouse station out of Milwaukee, along with WOKY … who we also covered before in conjunction with their live pop festival they put on at Milwaukee County Stadium back in 1969.)  I’m sure we’ll find some readers on our list who have been to Majestic Hills … and maybe even saw you guys performing there!  Stay tuned.  (kk)

UPDATE #1:  I see that you guys DID make Vernon Joynson's book "Fuzz Acid And Flowers Revisited," who describes the group as:
Produced by Bill Traut for Dunwich Productions.  Their single, released on Beverly Hills 45-9340 in 1970, featured "Something Beautiful" on the A-Side and "Call My Name" on the B-Side.
The A-Side was written by A. Tucker and K. Wakefield, described as "pop with strong bass parts and horns."  the flip side was written by K. Chovan and J. Zdanowicz, "a good pop-rock track similar to Paul Revere and the Raiders (but without the guitars) and again features strong bass parts."  So you actually ARE almost famous!!!  (kk)

Co-writer A. Tucker is Annette Tucker, who co-wrote "Too Much To Dream Last Night" and from whom I took a songwriting workshop circa '75.
Gary Myers

It’d be cool to feature the track … and a copy of the Milwaukee Journal piece if anybody has it.  (kk)

I asked Mike Dugo, who used to run the awesome Garage Bands website, what he knew about The Geneva Convention … and he related this story … 

I still read Forgotten Hits daily so it was good to hear from you.
Years ago I transferred over 100 reels for Bill Traut (Dunwich Records) and The Geneva Convention was referenced in the files. I remember being disappointed that none of the reels included their music even though I believe Traut produced their 45. Other than seeing the band’s name on some local club cards, I’ve never seen anything else about them. I really hope you’re able to run something — I’d love to learn more!
Best,
Mike

UPDATE #2:  We DO have a copy of the Milwaukee Journal article to share as well as a photo of a framed trophy Russ kept of both the newspaper review AND a promotional copy of the 45 … as well as THIS update regarding the horn sound incorporated into the record …

Bill Traut thought this was going to be a hit so he dubbed some horns and Gary Loizzo from The American Breed’s vocal over it.
Russ
This “remixed” version DOES have the same feel of the kind of records The American Breed were making at the time … a much hipper, more “hit” sound if you will. (kk)




And, speaking of Joel Whitburn, in addition to his new “Book Of Top 10 Hits, 1950 – 2020” and the upcoming release of the weekly Cash Box Charts from the 1980's, he is now offering a $25 off discount price on his flagship book, “Top Pop Singles, 1955 – 2018.”  This is the music bible, folks, so if you don't already own a copy, why not grab it now at the discounted price!

More details below:

Dear Kent,
"I'll never forget June 6, 1970.  I received in the mail my first book order.  I had spent five years researching Billboard's "Hot 100" chart back to its debut in 1958, while working full time at my sales job.  My research moved from handwritten 3" x 5" note cards to hiring a typographer, and then proofreading again and again, until finally delivering it to the printer.  That book, Record Research, began to find its way to others who shared my heart for the charts.  And, taking a huge risk, I quit my job and plunged into researching the charts full time.
I love that book (long since known as
Top Pop Singles).  So what better way to celebrate 50 years of researching the charts than to offer its 16th edition at $25 off through June 15, 2020!  It tops my chart of all of my publications." 
Sharing your Heart for the Charts,
Joel 


Hi Kent,
I accidentally discovered this surf band on YouTube. They are pretty darned good! But, who in the heck are they? I can’t seem to find much about them online. Looks like they are from New York City, and they may have started in the early 2000’s. They sound like the Ventures and the Surfaris, preserving the original style magnificently.
I just ordered their “Surf Fever” CD from Amazon. I highly recommend these guys to your website and blog readers!
Check out the links below. YouTube has much better sound quality.
Allmusic:  https://www.allmusic.com/album/surf-fever-2000-mw0000221177 
YouTube:  https://youtu.be/BxQgQghoFZ0 
Bill Oakey 

Thank you very much for sending me your list of the top 3333 classic rock songs! 
I was surprised to see so many songs not on the list and so many by the same artist.  It is a great list, nonetheless.  Thank you.
Orion 


And don’t forget that our special Memorial Day Weekend Classic Rock Countdown is running thru 9 pm on Monday Night. 
You can tune in to listen here:  https://classicrockessentials.blogspot.com/ 
And scroll back to catch any features that you may have missed along the way by clicking the “Older Posts” button at the bottom of the page.  (kk) 

That new 2-Part Laurel Canyon Documentary will begin airing next Sunday (May 31st) on EPIX.  Our FH Buddy Harvey Kubernik worked as a consultant on this film … and it promises to be MUCH better than the documentary that beat it out of the gate last year.  Check your local cable listings to see when and where this will air in your area.  (kk) 

TONS more information here:  http://cavehollywood.com/two-part-documentary-series-laurel-canyon/  

And, speaking of Harvey, he sent me an awesome piece called “Docs That Rock, Docs That Matter,” spotlighting some of the greatest rock and roll documentaries ever made. 
Once again, the list is FAR too long to run here … but if you’d like me to forward you a copy, just drop me an email and I’ll send you a copy.  (kk) 

kk …
Woulda – Coulda – Shoulda -- with Mark Lindsay.
FB 
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3120954714592519&set=p.3120954714592519&type=3&theater  

>>>Can you imagine ANYONE in 1966, even for a second, longing to hear, sing along with and dance to a song from 1912, 54 years earlier in time???
(kk)

Don't open THAT can of worms, Kent.  A year earlier in 1965, a 1910 song bumped Satisfaction off #1. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Henery_the_Eighth,_I_Am 
Clark Besch 
Curses … foiled again!!!  Herman’s Hermits … the exception to EVERY rule!!!  (kk)  

If you grew up in Chicago, you’ll find a boatload of memories on this site:
http://www.craigslostchicago.com/lost-amusement.php


Be sure to check back tomorrow to see the WCFL Big Ten Survey from exactly fifty years ago!  (kk)