Monday, June 1, 2020

June 1st, 1970


Well, THAT came as a bit of a surprise!

I actually would have thought "Get Ready" or "Make Me Smile" might have been the next #1 ... even a couple that were never able to climb quite so high like "Vehicle" (now all the way down to #36) or "Which Way You Goin' Billy?" ... "Reflections Of My Life" ... maybe even "Something's Burning" or "My Baby Loves Lovin'" ..

But "Love On A Two-Way Street" by The Moments threw me for a loop this week.  (Great song and all ... but #1???)  For the record, it DID climb as high as #3 on the National Charts.

This leaves a lot of "wannabes" vying for the spot ... and I'm honestly not sure which one of these Top Ten Hits would be the most likely to succeed it.

Maybe the next #1 will come from outside The Top Ten.  The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band continue to briskly climb the ranks, moving from #27 to #14 this week with "Love Land."

"Ball Of Confusion" by The Temptations leaps from #32 to #19 this week ... but I'm not sure it's #1 material.

The Jackson Five make a move of 13 places as "The Love You Save" climbs from #35 to #22 ... could that be it?  They're certainly on a roll right now.

Hmm ... makes me think "Love On A Two-Way Street" may end up being #1 for another week or two until something else can move itself into position for a take-over!

New premiers this week include "Band Of Gold" by Freda Payne (now THIS one sounds like a hit!) and a solo offering from John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas called "Mississippi," a tune I genuinely liked from Day One.