Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Some Of Your Mid-Week Comments

Kent,
Just enjoyed watching a PBS special “ABBA Forever-A Celebration”. The documentary covers the story of ABBA from their win in the Eurovision contest with Waterloo through their international stardom, the break-up of their marriages and the group, and the worldwide success of the musical Mama Mia. Included are lots of concert clips, music video clips, and parts of past and recent interviews with each member of the group and the support people who assisted them. The brilliant songwriting of Bjorn and Benny, and the outstanding singing of Freda and Agnetha are highlighted. Though I am a long-term ABBA fan I learned things I did not know, like the rivalry between the two ladies and the technical maneuvers used to produce the ABBA sound. The program took two hours, but there were the ever-present cut-aways to fundraise for PBS. Use of the DVR is highly recommended.
By the way I proudly brag that I am the only person I know (except for my ex-wife who was with me) to see ABBA in person.
We saw ABBA at the old Milwaukee Auditorium (now converted into the Milwaukee Theater.)  The auditorium seated only 7,000 and I’m not sure it was sold-out. ABBA was not a big thing in the US then (mid 1970s) but I was a huge fan and it was one of the best concerts I have seen. I like to say I was an ABBA fan before ABBA-fandom was cool!
If you like ABBA, or even if you just like pop music history, this is a show you want to see. It will be repeated here in Milwaukee a couple times this week - I’m sure your local PBS station will also be using it as a fundraising feature.
Bob Verbos
Thanks for the heads up, Bob … first I’ve heard of this one …
Being that we’re both big ABBA fans as well, we will definitely have to check this out.
As it turns out, it aired again last night on WTTW (PBS / Channel 11) so we were able to see it prior to posting today’s Mid-Week Comments Page.
VERY well done.  (Truth be told, I wish it was twice as long as it was … and yes, the pledge drive interruptions were INCREDIBLY annoying, as is usually the case.)  Instead of killing valuable airtime by running THREE fifteen minute spots in the course of a 90-minute program, I think that they might actually find that they could raise MORE money by offering to cut the drives down to 2-3 minutes each (and scrolling the information along the bottom of the screen during the showing) by making a deal with the viewers that if you simply send in $100 NOW, we won’t interrupt this program again!!!
I think the DVR idea is a good one … and since the program airs again this upcoming Sunday (September 6th) at Noon, I think I WILL record it, as it is something I’d like to have in my collection.  (Now all I have to do is remember to watch!!!  Lol)   Be sure to check your local listings as PBS doesn’t always air these programs at the same time in every city.
Once again, this program is very well done … excellent sound and video quality … but just WAY too short.  (Funny thing is, if they were offering an expanded 90 minute DVD version, I might have taken the bait … but to offer instead the ABBA Gold CD collection … which has already been available for 20-something years and is probably already owned by every ABBA fan out there anyway! … they once again limited their donation potential.)
There seems to be no middle ground with ABBA music … you either love it or you hate it … but we absolutely LOVE it … so we will be watching this again!  (kk)




The September Of Our Years:  #1 On This Date, September 1st:  
 >>>Incredible to think that our journey stops THIRTY YEARS short of today!!!  But this is our look back at the Septembers Of Our Years.  Hope you've enjoyed it!  (kk)  
Or is it the "Autumn of Our Lives"???  
The music changed SO much as I look down the list and then I come to La Bamba!  That was funny.  Cool that Haley and Elvis were on top a year apart. 
Clark Besch
Yes … with music, it seems that so often everything old is new again.  (kk)
Frank B sent us this YouTube clip of Elvis and Sherrill Nielsen doing “O Sole Mio” and “It’s Now Or Never.”
We ran this a long time ago … and Elvis couldn’t look more out of it than he does here …
But then listen to how his INCREDIBLE voice just kicks in despite any other issues he may have going on.
Simply amazing.  (kk)



He also sent in this clip of Bill Haley, Jr., performing his father’s most famous tune …


Sounds just like him! 
(Now he’s just got to tape a curl to his forehead and he’ll be all set!)  kk
Carrying on the family tradition.
Frank B.   

"Don't Be Cruel" was a major hit, and not only in the US. 
Check out this recording from Kosaka Kazuya, a Japanese fellow who was a huge Presley fan, and had a band called "The Wagonmasters."
They covered a number of Presley songs, with Mr. Kazuya singing lead. He'd sing in Japanese until the break, and then do the last chorus in English (sorta). 
Here's his take on "Don't Be Cruel."
I found this 45 (with picture sleeve) at Tom Boyle's shop on Addison Street near Wrigley about 45 years ago.
Enjoy!
Mike Wolstein




THIS AND THAT:

A short while back we told you that Bill Carroll had a brand new Ranking The Albums book coming out.
Well, the final version is on its way to the printers … so stay tuned for more details as we get them.

Here, in Bill’s own words, is an overview of what he’s trying to accomplish with this latest record guide … 

Epilog: My Vinyl Romance
I remember where I was the day Billboard published its first consolidated mono and stereo album chart.  That date was August 17, 1963.  I was in the seventh grade at St. Mary’s School in Crown Point, Indiana, and I was going to my first dance.  It is memorable not because I was a fat kid who had no earthly idea how to dance but because I heard Surfer Girl and Little Deuce Coupe for the first time.  They would not chart in Chicago for a couple of weeks yet. 
It was a singles-centric world in Crown Point in 1963, for at least two reasons. 
First, we lived by Top 40 radio, and radio played singles.  Second, mono albums cost $3.98 at Blanchard’s Record Store — way more than the 98 cents a single cost — and you could never be sure you’d like the non-singles.  In my family, most albums were soundtracks, with the exception of a couple of comedy albums like Allan Sherman’s My Son, The Nut and The First Family, which it seemed everybody owned.  Eleven-year-old me may have influenced those latter purchases.
The first music album I bought was The Beatles Song Book Volume 2  by the Hollyridge Strings.  Early on, my relationship with the Beatles was complicated. 
Of course they were huge, but I didn’t want to ride a bandwagon.  So I was kind of a Beatles denier, and this was a way of having the Beatles music without having them.  I bought the single Yesterday.  Album-wise, I finally caved at Help.
But the first music album I owned was Beach Boys Concert, which my cousin got me for my 13th birthday.  She called me a couple of weeks before and said she was doing a survey of the boys in the class about which groups they liked.  I took the survey ruse seriously for about 15 seconds.  Subterfuge was not her long suit.
And then there was the one that got away.  I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger on buying All Summer Long by the Beach Boys, despite looking at it in the store numerous times.  Looking back, I wish I had.  I’d have loved all those cuts I didn’t recognize.
As the ‘60s progressed, albums seemed to make more and more sense.  I liked Simon and Garfunkel and bought both Sounds of Silence and Parsley, Sage Rosemary and Thyme.  Then, I took a chance on their first album, Wednesday Morning, 3 AM, which didn’t sell very well initially.  It was way different.  Folk rock, hold the rock.  Still liked it, though, which is what you do if you’re a fan.
My transition from singles to albums was accelerated by the advent of underground FM radio around 1968 in Chicago.  As I remember, WOPA and WLS-FM were two early adopters and it was there you could be exposed to the 17-minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and the 17 minute version of far less musically complex songs.  But there was no getting that 17-minute version on a single.
Well, and in many cases, not on a single album either.  My first double album was Wheels of Fire, with the Beatles White Album not far behind.  Although, my all-time favorite double album is Chicago Transit Authority.  I remember it as having a low list price — maybe $5.98 — which for two records was a bargain, even if there was about 17 minutes of random instrumental noodling.  It was hot when I graduated from Crown Point High in 1969.
When I went to college, I discovered Record Club of America.  When you joined, you paid a small membership fee and got X free albums from their catalog, and you never actually had to buy anything ever again.  What’s more, if you signed a friend up, he paid a small membership fee, got X free albums, and YOU got X free albums, too!  My summer job was selling used cars.  Selling free albums was shooting fish in a barrel, and I shot a LOT of fish.
Of course, sometimes you hadn’t used up all your free albums, and you already owned everything in the catalog you recognized.  Which is how I ended up with One Stormy Night by the Mystic Moods Orchestra.
For the popular albums, Record Club of America licensed the record and pressed its own copies on vinyl that was half ground-up shower curtains and half dirt.  But then again, I didn’t have a great stereo either, so it was hard to tell exactly why it sounded like listening to music through the phone.
By the early ‘70s, I was fully in “buy the album for that one cut” mode.  Steam comes to mind, and it didn’t even dawn on me to buy the single of Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.  So why did I buy an awful album?  I think because changing records every 2:45 was just too much trouble.  Maybe you could stand to listen to the side with the single for 18:00.
Sometimes I’d even buy the album for no cuts because I wanted an artist’s complete collection.  In fact, I have two copies of The Secret Life Of J. Eddy Fink by Janis Ian.  I bought the second one because I forgot that the one I needed was Who Really Cares?
Later, I discovered used record and cutout stores where filling in bits of a collection for $2.99 seemed like you were actually making money.  My favorite thing to do in the late ‘70s was buy the album of the singer-songwriters who wrote for more popular acts like Barry Manilow and Helen Reddy.  I have a lot of Randy Edelman, David Pomeranz, Bruce Johnston, Alan O’Day and Harriet Schock.  Those were the days I fancied myself a budding singer-songwriter.  Fortunately, I had chemistry to fall back on.
Maybe it was fate that as a voracious consumer of records I spent the last few years of the LP era working for a company that made vinyl record compound.  Records are made from a complex mixture of plastic, wax, softener, soot, extender, heat stabilizer and fairy dust.  And squishing a biscuit of that stuff into a functioning record is as much art as science.
And it was a dying business.  We went from decent volume to virtually zero in the period 1986-1989.  Cassettes took out one engine and CDs finished us off.  And I had to admit — CDs seemed better.  No pops, no hiss, no scratches.  I switched to CDs — my first was The Best Of The Alan Parsons Project, although Brothers In Arms was not far behind.
If you get to be old enough you get to see it all again — like the rebirth of vinyl.   What drew us to CDs is now the major flaw.  They have no pops, no hiss, no scratches.  LPs now seem warm and real, and CDs seem cold and sterile.
As a mid-generation Baby Boomer, that’s OK.  I grew up with Stereo LPs and I’m glad they’re back.  They were dear to me then and they are dear to me now.
Bill’s new book covers Billboard’s Top 200 Albums list from 1963 (the year the Stereo Album Chart started) thru 1989.  It mathematically ranks every album to make the chart during this period.  (To tell you the truth, Bill’s method is actually more scientific than I even understand!!!  But there’s no denying his research and passion for coming up with the end results.)
I have seen some sample pages along the way and this book covers EVERYTHING in the way of popular music for this era.
Again, please stay tuned for more details as we get closer to the official publication date.  (Bill’s previous research, both on his own and with Dann Isbell, are Pop Music Research Essentials!)  kk

Kent
I helped Scott Shannon work on some albums he produced at Joe Klein's recording studio L.A in the 70's. "The Sunset Bombers' that turned into the "Knack" come to mind.
That was around 1978 when I recorded 'Calling From A Star' with drummer Gary Malabar of 'Steve Millers Band' and other 'A' Class studio musicians.
That was a great time!
It's coming up on the 20th year anniversary of my "Return To MU" album release produced by William E McEuen.  He produced the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Allman Brothers Band, Steve Martin, Pee Wee Herman and others.
I'm doing a interview about the 'Return To MU" album anniversary with a Hungarian Music Mag at the end of month.
MY Tiki Lounge TV show is now in its 20th year on the air in California and Hawaii … over 160 shows … select shows are on YouTube.
My autobiography, "Calling From A Star:  The Merrell Fankhauser Story” is still selling at Amazon …
And I have songs coming out in movies next year "Lila' in "The Trial Of The Chicago 7" and 'Jammin At Johnnies' in 'The Kissing Booth."
All My Best,
Merrell
That’s all good news … thanks for sharing Merrell!
I heard that “The Trial Of The Chicago 7” is now going to premier on Netflix in October.  (The 16th, I believe.)  We’re keeping close tabs on this one because our daughter Paige has a small role during one of the riot scenes!  I’ve heard good things about the film (other than your music and Paige’s cameo!  Lol), too, so I’m very much looking forward to seeing it!  (kk)

Speaking of Scott Shannon (AGAIN!!!), FH Reader Frank B. sent us this photo from Facebook of Shannon and Monday’s birthday girl, Debbie Gibson with this little side note:

She used to come around the old station as a 15 year old. Today she’s 50! Happy birthday
SS


And, since we're on Scott Shannon ANYWAY, please indulge us for one more friendly reminder about the VERY special weekend we've got planned, kicking off this Friday ...

Be sure to tune in to The True Oldies Channel beginning at Noon on Friday to hear the Labor Day LAST BLAST OF SUMMER Weekend …

Scott Shannon will be featuring Your All-Time Favorite Songs Of Summer all weekend long, capping things off with a special countdown of Your Top 10 Summer Favorites at noon Eastern on Labor Day Monday.

And, you can continue to see the list unfold every day till then right here:

On Monday at Noon CENTRAL Time, we’ll post the ENTIRE LIST of Your Top 200 Favorites (plus 80 “Honorable Mention” songs that received fifty or more of your votes during our recent Summer Favorites Poll.)

OTHER RADIO NEWS:
Robert Feder is reporting:
For the seventh consecutive month, WBBM 780-AM/WCFS 105.9-FM took front and center in Chicago’s radio ratings during August.
Oh shit … does that mean that WLIT will begin broadcasting Christmas Music on Labor Day?!?!?  (kk)

Hi,
Did you know there are a variety of playlists on the Dick Biondi Film youtube channel?  Playlists offer a great way to bring back memories of the Wild I-Tralian and the fabulous music of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. 
Meet the artists and the DJs and hear their stories on The Rock and Roll Show with Pam and Joe playlist
Watch music videos on the Classic Music playlist.  
See Biondi at his best on the Classic Biondi playlist, 
You’ll find Radio Memories, The Making of the Dick Biondi documentary, videos from our Good Times Rock and Roll Fundraiser, and more!
If you like our channel, please subscribe to be notified of new videos.  We post a new video weekly.  Help us build our youtube channel by subscribing and sharing with your family and friends. If you have suggestions for our youtube channel, we’d love to hear them!
Thanks for your support!
Pam

OK, tell me again where "LAFOS" is?  Thanks.
--Bob Frable
To listen live on Saturdays (1 -3 pm Eastern): 
To listen to the podcast after the fact:
It’s good!!!  (kk)

And, speaking of LAFOS, I received this email from Sam Tallerico the other day, too …

Hi Kent (and Rich Klein)!
Thanks for listening to the Lost And Found Oldies Show (LAFOS).  Not sure what the tech glitch was ... Yikes! But I think I said that I discovered a link to that WKNR aircheck online, not that I'd sent anybody one. Easy to find by Google searching the jocks in question. If the songs themselves have been edited, someone did a seamless job in doing so.
I also enjoyed Allan Sniffen weighing in. Who doesn't love what he's done with his Rewound Radio? BTW, I'm not sure Mixcloud (where I post LAFOS) refers to itself as a podcasting forum, but maybe I'm wrong; I was just told I could post my shows there. Maybe I'm wrong about that, too?
Glad to see you're in the Top 100 Summer Songs ... hate to see it end – the countdown AND the season!
Sam Tallerico
Yeah, it’s sure going fast.  (Temps actually cooled down here a little bit this weekend … but we were hearing from people in the Dallas / Fort Worth area who were having 106-degree temps with heat indexes in the 115-120 range … now THAT’S no fun at all!
I am anxious for The True Oldies Channel’s “Last Blast Of Summer Weekend” to kick off.  It all starts at noon on Friday, September 4th, and runs straight thru till Midnight on Labor Day Monday, September 7th.  During that time you’ll hear 2, 3 or 4 songs per hour that made our Summer Countdown list … along with a whole bunch of “extras.” 
Then on Labor Day Monday at Noon Eastern, Scott will play down The Top Ten Summer Favorites, as voted on by over 45,000 Forgotten Hits Readers and True Oldies Channel Listeners. 
Immediately afterwards, we’ll post the complete list on all the websites for your review.
Without question, a GREAT response to this one … and I can promise you it’ll make for fun and interesting summer programming for many years to come.
As for LAFOS, I posted TWO links above as ways to listen.  It’s rare that I get to listen live on Saturdays so I typically use the Mixcloud link to hear the program at my leisure.  (I wanna find out more about this whole streaming / podcast thing … just for my own curiosity and information!)
Thanks, Sam … ALWAYS enjoy the show.  (kk)

And speaking of special radio shows …

Hi Kent,
Here are the details about The MOB On Colossus 50th Anniversary special broadcast:
Monday, October 12, 2020:  1 pm ET / 12 pm CT / 11 am MT / 10 am PT - first broadcast
8 pm ET / 7 pm CT / 6 pm MT / 5 pm PT - rebroadcast
Streaming on
wltl.net, the free WLTL app and other services.
Hosted by Elif Geris, Executive Producer and music reviewer at WGN Radio.
Elif is also an alumnus of WLTL and Lyons Township High School.
One of the founding members of The MOB, Jim Holvay, is an LTHS Hall of Fame inductee.
All tracks will be featured from the October 1970 Colossus release in stereo.
Clips from the original 1970 Dick Biondi interview on Chicago radio and 50th anniversary memories from the MOBsters will also be heard.
While recording the album, one of the MOBsters had a cast on their foot.  A MOBster had a turkey leg at 4 am in the Carnegie Deli.
Who left their trumpet in a taxicab?
Dennis Tufano, the original lead singer of The Buckinghams from the sixties, will spin the Holvay – Beisbier / Buckinghams hits as a bonus.
Mike Baker And The Forgotten 45s


Watch for more comments tomorrow and Friday (as we fight desperately not to fall too far behind again!!!  lol)