Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Tuesday This And That

FRIDAY the 13th: 

It looks like I tuned in on a really good day. A lot of good music for MLK Day and a really neat and fascinating take on Friday the 13ths. 

The Friday the 13th of October, 1967, was my most memorable. It was my freshman year of high school. I told all of my friends that it was my lucky day, then I got caught smoking in the bathroom and suspended for three days. Lucky or unlucky? I guess that would depend on your point of view.

Stacee

 

PHIL SPECTOR:

Yesterday marked the two year anniversary of Phil Spector’s passing …

https://bestclassicbands.com/phil-spector-obituary-wall-of-sound-producer-1-17-211/

 

And our own series …

https://fhphilspector.blogspot.com/

 

NANCY and LEE:

I must find this record - And/Or - sleeve before I die.

Timmy


I’ve not seen that one before – very nice.

Anybody???  (kk)

UPDATE:

Do you want it bad enough to spend $175 for it???

NANCY SINATRA: How Does That Grab You, Darlin’? +3-France 7" 1966 Reprise EP PCV | eBay

A bit way too much for my principles. Although, it seems like a decent copy. HARD DECISION. Thanx, anyway. Now I won't sleep tonight ...

Timmy

 

After reading today's posting, I had to send you this one.

It pairs a Cambodian female singer with Paul Kelly, an extremely underrated Aussie singer.  (I have seen Kelly live 11 times, and have well over 300 of his songs.)

Talk about a strange version of a song ... she sings in Cambodian and he in English.

Brad

 

 

I also came across this video giving a similar treatment (only French this time around, I believe)  The song works on SO many levels! 

(I held back from running it last week because I kept on thinking “How many glasses of Summer Wine can a person drink at 6 am???”  Yet I’m still ready for more!)

The first thing I thought of when I heard the opening chord was “Better Call Saul” … wouldn’t it be cool if Saul and Kim did a cover version of this tune!!!  (kk)

 

 

One more …

 

And, since I mentioned it the other day, here’s Lana Del Rey, one of today’s best singers, doing her version of this tune … I just love her voice!  (kk)

 

 

About six months ago we ran a great piece on Nancy and Lee on the website – with contributions from note rock authors Harvey Kubernik and Joel Selvin.

If you missed it (or you just want to read it again!), you can check it out here:

https://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/2022/06/nancy-and-lee.html

 

THIS AND THAT:

Several artists gathered this past Saturday Night (the 14th) to pay tribute to Jerry Moss, co-founder (along with Herb Alpert) of A&M Records.  Among those were performed (either live or via taped performances) were Sting, Peter Frampton, Amy Grant and Dionne Warwick.

The concert event was filmed … so hopefully we’ll all get the chance to see it somewhere down the line.  (kk)