Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Tuesday This And That

If you missed it, here is CBS Sunday Morning’s tribute to the 75th Anniversary of The Ed Sullivan Show … 

>>>I'm not going to give you a review of the concert, because I know FH correspondent Shelly Sweet-Tufano will be doing one soon and she does a tremendous job.  (Tom Cuddy)

>>>Tom sent us some GREAT photos to share ... and we're looking forward to receiving Shelley's review of the show.  (kk)

Oh boy! No pressure here!

I will just shrug off the expectations for now and thank you both for the support.

While you are waiting for Happy Together (which is coming later on), I better get to work on the reviews from this weekend. The fun has never ended for me.

Shelley

Look for a new review from Shelley on The Fab Four later in the week!  (kk)

A cool shot from FH Reader Timmy of Big Al’s, circa 1970 …

Happy Birthday, Sir Paul!

Bill Hayes

I was surprised to see Paul McCartney’s new photograph book plugged on the same episode of CBS Sunday Morning as the Ed Sullivan 75th anniversary!  (kk)

Hi there Kent,

You’ve covered some great topics lately!

I am so glad that the topic of Reunion's 1974 hit Life Is A Rock, (But The Radio Rolled Me) has come up.  First of all, it was truly fascinating to hear Oo-ga-cha-ga Buell's fascinating version of the song when he was at the big 610 KFRC in San Francisco.  That naturally led to the presenting of the two Chicago versions of the song, which were truly fascinating to listen to and enjoy.  Now I'm wondering how many other radio stations played custom versions of the song.  I wonder if WABC

played an alternate version of the song, or perhaps 99X, WXLO was the station that may have had a custom version created in the big apple.  I want to try and find as many versions of the song that have been altered for radio stations as possible.

In my hometown of Columbus, Ohio, at the time, neither WCOL or WNCI FM did

anything to alter the song.  They just played it.

In Hartford, Connecticut, on the other hand, WDRC's legendary Production Director Charlie Parker put together a production where he recited the lyrics of each verse of the song with some rather haunting background music.  When I visited the station in 1979, one of the production people at the station told me that the music itself was called Reunion. 

Charlie Parker added an extra verse, mentioning as many names of the current and former WDRC disc jockeys as possible, and since he wasn't singing it, it didn't have to fit the tune.  Incidentally, each time the chorus came up, that was dubbed into the production.

Now, Larry brought up a topic that has fascinated me ever since I learned about this being done back in 1976.  In issue #11 of American Airchecks Magazine dated October 8, 1976, and ironically narrated by Shadoe Stevens, there was a special profile done on CKLW.  Amidst the early aircheck fragments from prior to the Drake format that was

presented, was a small portion of the song I Dreamed I Was In Hillbilly Heaven by Tex Ritter.  The very beginning of the song is presented, and then it is telescoped to where the names of the then current CKLW disc jockeys are heard. They included John Gordon, Bud Davies, Joel Van, Dave Shafer, Tom Shannon and Ron Noles.

Then, my girlfriend at the time told me that both WCOL and WTVN in Columbus, Ohio, had special versions of the song which they both played on the air.  Like you, I am not at all clear if these versions of the song were pressed on record for the public to buy, or if they were just played on the air from tape.  But I would love to get as many versions of this song as possible, but after all this time, I probably won't find too many of them.

I remember trying to find all 28 Atlantic singles of High School U.S.A. by Tommy Facenda and I was off to a good start.  I had the Virginia, New York City, Newark, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis St. Paul, Cleveland, Ohio, the San Francisco and Los Angeles versions.  But I still had a long way to go when I learned that all 30 versions, including the rare original LaGrande label version which sounds very different from the versions on Atlantic, were released on CD.  Anyway, what fascinating topics coming up here of late.

I just want to add my shock and concern about Jack's stroke. It's always very sad to hear about something like this and I just hope everyone's prayers will be powerful enough along with his will to live, that will pull him through this.  I know he will be a long time in recovery, but I just wish him the best, and I pray for strength for his wife Laura to get through this ordeal as well.

Sam Ward

Thanks for the kind words … I know we are all pulling for a speedy recovery for Jack … and I hope he’ll soon be submitting the latest rock and roll death notices again (although the very thought that ANYONE would be looking forward to these is pretty scary unto itself!!!)  Still, it’s all part of the circle of life … and a lot of these aren’t widely reported in the media otherwise, short of the really big names … so we will continue to do our part to let you know as some of our favorites continue to leave us.

These “unique” versions were often created by the radio stations themselves so likely were never pressed to vinyl … you’d almost have to find airchecks from this era from these particular stations in order to build a collection.  (Tex Ritter, however went in and recorded special versions to be aired on some of the bigger stations around the country … and the Tommy Facenda idea was VERY unique for its time.  I guess it was only the “national” version that was allowed to chart … which kinda makes sense.)  kk

Hey Kent,

I hope all is well. Thought I'd ask if you wouldn't mind doing a shameless plug for my new book. It's about American rock group cameos on scripted U.S. TV. It combines '60s music with classic TV, two topics I'm sure are dear to readers of Forgotten Hits. It's available online from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the publisher, BearManor Media.  It’s a rather slim book … but it's as complete as far as including every appearance I'm aware of.

Maybe some Forgotten Hits readers can clue me in on appearances I haven't documented yet. Can we make it interesting and state that anybody that shares info on a cameo I'm not aware of will receive a free copy of the book from me? The caveat is that the appearance had to feature an American ROCK GROUP on a U.S. scripted show, not solo artists or duos. In other words, acts like Sonny & Cher, Lesley Gore, Neil Diamond and the Righteous Brothers -- all who made cameos -- aren't included. Some of the groups included in the book are obscure even by Forgotten Hits' standards!

Let me know, please. And Happy Father's Day!

Mike Dugo


Love the title … “Rock And Role”!!! 

VERY happy to pass the information … the challenge and the offer along!

Here is a quick order link if you’d like to check out a copy!  (kk)

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Role-Appearances-Television-1964-1970/dp/B0C79MW95H/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1HB7NIE891O5B&keywords=rock+and+role&qid=1687121896&s=books&sprefix=rock+and+role%2Cstripbooks%2C97&sr=1-1

And Tom Cuddy sent us this review of Mark Volman's new book (I haven't had the chance to read this one yet!)  kk

Book Review: "Happy Forever" -- A Tremendously Entertaining Oral History of the Turtles and the World of Pop Music - The Arts Fuse 

https://artsfuse.org/275277/book-review-happy-forever-a-tremendously-entertaining-oral-history-of-the-turtles-and-the-world-of-pop-music/

Hello kk!

Although I have remained quiet here on "Forgotten Hits," I’m still vertical and enjoy your gifted presentations to us pioneer connoisseurs of the greatest music ever made. Just a reminder that "Davie Allan & The Arrows" has a website:  http://www.davieallan.com … and he will sign every CD at great prices for any fans who wish to fill up their spot with additional music from the "King of Fuzz" in the place where they have his other stuff or why not start one now if one hasn't got his works. 

"Melodicgrunge" is a form of musical art that only Davie Allan has rightful ownership of and he absolutely delivers it with finesse and execution. It is tonic for the troops and is a musical vacation from this current time of chaos. Turn off the news and put on headphones and ride each note to melodic adventures. Escape to the "Fuzzitorium!" Works for me.   

Thanks for your caring and dedicated service ...

Vibramutant 


Word is Bruce Springsteen has a second album of soul covers ready to come out … eighteen more track to follow his “Only The Strong Survive” release.  No official release date has been announced.  (kk)