Monday, October 16, 2023

The Lords of 52nd Street: A Concert Review

 
My son is, and always has been, a huge Billy Joel fan. Bringing things around full circle, he copied Joel's cover picture of The Stranger for one of his senior picture shots. AND the photographer who did his Senior portfolio is Steven Cooper (Coop) who has been CT Photographer of the Year 7 times now and is currently the Executive Director of The Milford Performance Center. A full circle represented for my family.

I have seen Liberty DeVitto perform with Ringo and with Billy J Kramer, but this is the first time I have seen him perform the original Joel songs he recorded with Joel's rhythm guitarist Russell Javors. Saxophonist, Richie Cannata, also an original member, is fixing some family issues but will return to The Lords this spring.
 
 
The 52nd Street Band is the name Billy Joel gave them and they now perform as The Lords of 52nd Street, using the same key they originally recorded in for each song. In keeping with this, you need a voice that can handle the high octaves and bring emotion to the delivery. Dan Orlando, who has also been referred to as "piano man," grew up mimicking The 52nd Street Band with his brother at home, and so learned to portray, without trying to copy Joel's vocals and piano deliveries. The other grand musicians here are Doug Kistner on keyboards, Malcolm Gold on bass and a new lead guitarist whose name I could not track down. Anthony? Sorry ... and I will keep looking for you. The other three have their own websites, where you can find out all about them. Richie, Liberty and Russell are on The Lords website with info on booking. 

This can't be named a tribute group as half of them are on the recordings. They are the performers who worked with Billy Joel starting in 1976 through the mid-80s. Billy knew them from his musical beginnings in NYC. Liberty and Russell have hung around together since Russell was 15. This is the core of those records. These are tight musicians who have selected a run-through of Joel's albums to give us a taste of just what they experienced working with him.  

Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway
My Life
I've Loved These Days
All For Leyna
Sometimes in a Fantasy
Pressure

An instrumental that featured Liberty, the lead guitarist and Dan Orlando on piano. After this song, Liberty came down to the front mic to speak to the audience starting with the words, "I can't believe you guys are still into this s***!"

The Entertainer
The Ballad of Billy the Kid
Captain Jack
Vienna
Don't Ask Me Why
Sleeping With the Television On
The Stranger
Until the Night
Keeping the Faith
Only the Good Die Young
You May Be Right
Piano Man
 

Unbelievable Fun! They have played here before. They will again.

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano
NE Correspondent Forgotten Hits
[photos by Kevin Mocker]

I got to meet Liberty DeVitto (and his daughter Torrey who, at the time, was in Chicago filming "Chicago Med," a series she has since left) when Liberty was here to perform with Billy J. Kramer at that year's Fest For Beatles Fans at The O'Hare Regency Hotel. 

It was a fun bit of visiting as once Billy J. introduced me as "a music guy," Liberty just went right into talking about topics and terminology typically bantered about in those types of circles.  (I have to admit that I was quite blown away ... and flattered!!!)

He talked a little bit about working with Billy Joel for all those years (and I know that Billy ... well, BOTH Billys for that matter ... have the utmost respect for Liberty DeVitto's drumming ... and rightfully so.)  Still, it was quite a kick to meet him ... and something that I'll never forget. 

I have to admit that The Billy Joel Channel is one of my favorite Sirius XM's "adds" ... and not only listen to it faithfully whenever it comes back on, but miss it incredibly every time it signs back off.  (Billy is an EXCELLENT storyteller ... and has some VERY interesting stories to tell.)

And his catalog of recorded music is nothing to scoff at either.

While I didn't really first get into him until the "Stranger" album (I'm sorry but I absolutely HATED "Piano  Man" ... and STILL turn it off every single time it comes on!), I was a devoted fan ever since.  ("An Innocent Man" is still one of my all-time favorite albums ... and shows just how talented Billy Joel really is, capturing the complete sound and feel of the music that influenced him the most.)

I've told the story many times about how I've had tickets to see him three times over the years ... but for one reason or another, never actually made it to a show.  In every instance, the tickets ended up being thrown away once the concert event had passed.  (In my dreams, seeing Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden would be the ultimate concert ... and, with that residency now winding down, seeing him in his final performance at The Garden the "to die for" concert event of my life.)

And, since I didn't win the $2 Billion Powerball Lottery, I just need to resign myself to the fact that I'll likely never see him ... and that's a shame.  (The first time I had to miss his show was, of all things, his "An Innocent Man" Tour.  I was heartbroken ... but my band had a gig the same night and I just couldn't let them down.)

I remember announcing it on stage that night ... 

"I had tickets to see Billy Joel in concert tonight but unfortunately, I'll have to miss it because of our show here tonight at Mister Ed's ...

But then again HE won't be able to see us perform tonight either ... so let's get on with the show ... at which time I sang "It's Still Rock And Roll To Me," NOT one of my favorite Billy Joel songs ... but somehow appropriate nevertheless.  (kk)