Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Review Continues ...

We left Shelley hanging at the Intermission in yesterday's post ...

(It just tied in SO well with the piece that Tom Cuddy had sent in on The Association, I had to let it flow!!!)

So ... 

Picking up where we left off ...

Here is the second half of Shelley's review of the Stars of the Sixties Show she saw at Tarrytown Music Hall ...

The Grass Roots come busting onstage singing Wait A Million Years.  
 
Fortunately, we are not waiting a million years, nor even a few months tonight to hear all the amazing hit Grass Roots songs. 
 
When Rob Grill, Dusty Hanvey and Larry Nelson reformed The Grass Roots in 1984, they made a verbal promise to keep the songs in the same manner of arrangements that made them famous initially. There have been performer changes within the group from its inception. Originally created by Lou Adler, PF Sloan and Steve Barri, The Grass Roots grew into a rock solid rock band that established a following that was proved again tonight. Proof of this is in the next selection. As soon as 

DA-DA-DADA ... DADA-DADA-DA-DADA 

was heard, the audience exploded in a roar and began the words Don't Pull Your Love Out On Me Baby!

Yes, Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds recorded it first, I am told; but tonight proved it is firmly established as a Grass Roots classic.

The Rock and Roll Senior Tour continues with Heaven Knows, Sooner or Later and Things I Should Have Said to Her.

With a song in my heart
And a chance to be yours forever
I couldn't feel more secure
I know I couldn't feel any better
Oh Lord, Heaven knows
How much I love you and
How much it shows
Oh Lord, Heaven
Heaven knows

These lyrics are not just for lovers, but for lovers of musical groups and lovers of song lyrics and melodies. Oh Lord, it shows.

Wait! Something is not quite right. Larry Nelson has alerted the stage crew that his amps, prompters, and keyboard system is awry. What happens next is a flurry of activity from backstage that resembles a hoard of spiders that descend from all sides onto the situation, carrying cords and determined facial expressions. "I'm broken!" states Larry, but within minutes of his first realization, he is back in service. Mark Dawson sings Baby, Hold On Tight, and the spiders scurry back onstage, this time attacking Mark's mic system. "Now, Mark's broken!" laments Larry. "Dusty, you're next!"  Luckily, neither Dusty nor Joe are visited by the stage arachnid squad and the night simply glows rooted in the Roots and their songs. 

It was just in my last review that I mentioned the musical skills of these touring concert performers and their abilities to handle strange equipment and unexpected "broken" moments. Nice of you to prove me right.

Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes ...
 
Let's Live for Today ... with an absolutely intense show of guitar power from Dusty Hanvey that gets the audience off its seats and onto its feet. This song was dedicated by Dusty to all the Vets, but especially to the Vietnam Vets, who are now verbally welcomed home at each concert. 

Where Were You When I Needed You ... 
 
Herman's Hermits used this song in their movie, Hold On. But since they didn't release it as a single, The Grass Roots decided they would and had a hit with it. 

July 20, 1969 was a monumental day in history. 
 
Neil Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the moon and the song The River is Wide was released. It certainly was an unforgettable day ... (and the moon walk may have added to the brilliance of this historic event ... I can't take credit for this convoluted rhetoric as Mark Dawson just said the same thing.)

Come On and Say It
 
Feelings ... With Six You Get Eggroll. 
 
That is to say that the song Feelings was sung by The Grass Roots in the movie I just named. If you watch this scene, it is visually filled with disco balls, flashing lights and go-go dancing. Not a lot of Grass Roots coverage, but I enjoyed watching it.  (Yes, I had to come home and check it out!)
 

Joe Dougherty now gets to pick out his song to dedicate to the audience this evening. "I pick 2 Divided by Love. Did we already do it?" Joe, you're in luck! You haven't done it yet. I keep score. It is all written down in a mini notebook. 

Glory Bound
Temptation Eyes

She's got something that moves my soul
And she knows I'd love to love her
But she lets me down every time
Can't make her mine
She's no one's lover tonight
With me, she'll be so inviting
I want her all for myself
Oh, temptation eyes
Looking through my, my, my soul
Oh, temptation eyes
You've got to love me, got to love me tonight
This may be my favorite song. There is a personal history here, but it also sings well in group situations. We get louder. We stand. We wave our arms. We think the concert is over. Correction - many in the audience think the concert is over and I find myself reassuring patrons, "It's OK! They WILL sing it!" And sing it they did!
Midnight Confessions
For those who have past, present or will in the future, have their own midnight confessions, I bid you the best of all that is 60s and 70s music. Go forth and prosper! (There's still time)
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano
NE Correspondent/Forgotten Hits