Monday, December 11, 2023

The Great FRANKIE VALLI

FRANKIE VALLI:  "The Last Encores Tour"

I know Frankie Valli has stated that (at age 89), this is his last tour. However, with this being his last ENCORE tour, he can use this phrase to adapt the tour length however he wants. Currently he is booked through October, 2024, so he will be at least 90 before he stops touring the country. I had to make sure I went to this concert, but I just may be reviewing him next year ... or the year after ... or ...

 

There is silence as a memory tribute of Frankie and the Four Seasons plays out on the back screen. I must say I love the use of video screens in the concerts I attended this month. My memories shown, as well as photos I have never seen before. This is the only time though that the entire audience has been stilled while the videos progressed. At other shows, it may have been quiet, but one could hear whispers and reactions. I am in The Mohegan Sun Arena so quiet is not easy. The band breaks loose, Frankie steps out and ALL H**L breaks out! This is HIS crowd! The Roman Gladiators would have been jealous of this reception.

 

"Grease" is the word. 

Dawn

Beggin'

Silence is Golden - "B" side of Rag Doll

 

A roar of thunder is heard, a flash of light is seen and then:

Tell It to the Rain - with thunder drumming throughout.

 

I Got You Under My Skin

Opus 17 - a beautiful bouquet of flowers is handed to Frankie from the audience floor. It sounds as if the entire audience says, "Ohhhhhhhh." Everyone is on the side of appreciation and worth. There are no "Over here, Frankie!" or "Look at me, Frankie!" call-outs. Yes, this crowd belongs to Frankie Valli, and they are here to give him love and appreciation and take nothing in return.

 

Swearin' to God

Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer)

My Eyes Adored You - a 1974 hit that is so beautiful in lyrics and melody

Working My Way Back to You 

 

There is a man on keyboards standing behind Frankie that exudes pride and love as he follows his lead and guides the other musicians. His name is Robby Robinson and he is Frankie's musical director and has been for longer than either will own up to. 

 

From the Romancing the 60s cd, we get a medley of My Girl and Groovin' that intertwines the two so as to be seamlessly sewn together.

 

Who Loves You

December '63 - LOVE dancing to this. It affords the best choreography.

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Sherry

Big Girls Don't Cry

Walk Like a Man

Bye, Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye)

 

A very fitting song to end any concert … however we all know that Frankie will return to the spotlight and hit us up with a couple of ENCORES. I mean, after all, this IS the last encore tour.

 

Rag Doll

Let's Hang On

 

I hope we all do hang on to what we have. We have the best performers, re-creating the best music, in the best possible ways, in concert. The choreography of The Four Seasons (and yes ... there are four of them) combined with the excellent musicians who are not shy about assuming center stage for solos is master minded indeed.

 

Here are the other players:

 

Robby Robinson - Keyboards, musical director

Ronan Bay - Vocals

Craig Cady - Vocals

Aaron Gordon - Vocals

Noah Rivera - Vocals

Rick Keller - Sax, Flute

Basil Fung - Guitar

Andy Sanesi - Drums

Carmen Grillo - Guitar

Alfredo Lopez - Bass

 

At 89, Frankie is a bit slower and stiffer on stage, but the voice has not changed. I actually questioned my friends on whether he was using recordings or a pitch corrector at any time, and they replied laughing, "We were wondering the same thing."  We are all speaking from envy and disbelief. OH WHAT A NIGHT! First December, 2023! He was everything I dreamed he'd be. What a singer. What a night.

 

Seven concerts in four weeks! I am a lucky lady. It has come to an end until the middle of January. (That is next year!) I can't wait till things pick up again. Thankfully this is a busy time of year so I will easily keep occupied.

 

Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night!

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

NE Correspondent

Forgotten Hits