Friday, January 13, 2012


re:  THE COWSILLS / GOOD VIBRATIONS:

>>>I'm wondering if anyone out there in forgottenhitsland would have a copy of The Cowsills In Concert album?  I used to have it, but it has disappeared.  I wanted to show my band mates the version of Good Vibrations that they did on that album.  Hey, it might be cool for the Forgotten Hits freaks to hear it, too, since one of the Cowsills is going to play drums in the Beach Boys' reunion tour, if it happens.  Thanks for any help you or the rest of the fab folks out there can provide.  (Bill)  
Has anyone sent the Cowsills track yet?  Here it is, straight off my original LP.  
David Lewis  
Interestingly enough, we received several copies of their live version of "Good Vibrations" after this piece ran.  Apparently it was released on CD a few years back (but is now out of print.)  Actually, having just heard it for the very first time, I have to admit that it's a pretty darn good version of a VERY difficult song, especially to pull off live!  (Anybody remember when Todd Rundgren did HIS remake of this?)  It's from his "Faithful" album (where he also did a couple of pretty cool Beatles remakes, too.)  Bearsville decided to release Todd's version of "Good Vibrations" as a single ... and it went all the way to #34 in 1976.  (kk)
Hi Kent, 
A few days ago, you were looking for a digital copy of the Cowsills’ version of “Good Vibrations” from their “In Concert” album. Here is a copy attached. 
The album was released on CD by Razor & Tie in 1994 and it includes all four tracks from an EP that the group issued to promote milk in 1968. “In Concert” was by far the Cowsills’ highest charting LP, no doubt fueled by their version of “Hair” reaching #2 on the Hot-100 the same year. You then have to wonder why their decline came so fast and was so precipitous. One clue may be that the “In Concert” LP, with the exception of “Hair”, consists entirely of songs that were then 2 or 3 years old; “Good Vibrations” being a case in point. The LP did not feature any contemporary material. 
And now for the plug! The Cowsills are featured in our Rhode Island music heritage website at: http://www.ripopmusic.org/  
The site, which is still a work-in-progress (you know how that is!), has been put together by local music enthusiasts and it features both nationally and locally known artists. We feature bios, discographies, song-ographies, memorabilia, etc., and the nationally known acts include the Cowsills, Freddie Scott, Gerry Granahan, Anders & Poncia, Tavares and Wadsworth Mansion. Naturally we would appreciate comments, corrections and additional information. 
In August 2011, the Cowsills (those still with us) premiered a film of their life, “"Family Band: The Cowsills Story," at the Rhode Island International Film Festival (didn’t think there was such a thing, huh?). This film is well worth tracking down and it features some insights into their upbringing which were a revelation to most of those in the audience. 
Best regards,
Mike Edwards 
Would be interested in seeing a screening copy of that film.  (Has it been make the film festival circuit?)  As I said, I knew them for their hits ... and was surprised to hear just how full-sounding they really were!  (kk) 

Hi Kent,

Jerry here from upstate New York, wishing you a Happy New Year. I sure look forward to your Forgotten Hits  emails every week. 
This is for our friend who is looking for The Cowsills In Concert recording of “Good Vibrations”.  This is coming off my CD of this album. 
I have a question for you. The Cowsills carried a demo of their song “Hair” during their 1969 tour. MGM records never thought the sound fit their image and didn’t want to release it as a single.  During their tour stop in Chicago the demo was played at a local radio station. The stations DJ played the demo during their on-air interview and the phones lines lit up.  
Any idea which radio station played the demo and who was the DJ???  It sure sounds like the station and DJ had a lot to do with MGM finally releasing “Hair” as a single, doesn’t it? 
One last thing, Kent.  I have a Cowsills song  I’ve looked all over for as well.  I’ve heard a song called “Some Great Years”. The song to me is fantastic. Can you find a recording and tell me where I can get it. 
Jerry 
I personally don't remember anything like that regarding "Hair" ... but this sort of thing happened all of the time back then so it's very likely true.  I asked our local braintrust to see what they could remember and here's what I got back:  
Hi Kent;
I doubt that it was WLS because at that time the mindset was more along the lines of two or three songs in a row, followed by spots and another two or three in a row.  WCFL was doing the same thing. There was little if any room for interviews or innovation. It might have been WLS-FM or one of the other up and coming FM’s as they had few spots to play and had the time to be creative. Interesting that that’s exactly what killed AM rock!  
Clark Weber   

I've never heard the story. But I did some checking. 
The Cowsills web site says they recorded the song on 1/20/69. Their only Chicago appearance in 1968 was at the National 4-H Congress here 12/3/68.  Did they have a demo of the song they played on the radio? Possible. But it wouldn't have been the finished product. 
You would think that the station that "broke" the song initially would have jumped on playing it when it was released. "Hair" debuted on Billboard's chart 3/15/69. It shows up on WLS' Silver Dollar Survey 3/10/69 and WCFL's Big 10 Survey 3/19/69. So the edge would be to WLS, if the story's true.  Beyond that, I can't say.
-- Ron Smith 

Kent,   
I do not have any knowledge of the demo, however I do have a possible connection.  In the early 70's, Milwaukee's WOKY Top 40 station put out a various artists collection as was commonplace for stations at the time.  THIS particular album had a version of "Hair" that was slightly different than the released 45 and album version on MGM.  It had "wind" sounds inserted into the original version.  Pretty cool sound to my ears.  Anyway, in the early 80's, Dick Bartley was interested in getting this version from us for his show as he had heard of it before.  We sent it in to him and he played it.  Not sure if this would have been the demo version played in Chicago, but it could be, as Milwaukee is not far out of our picture.  Maybe Phil Nee knows for sure? 
Clark Besch  
Charting it the week before it premiered in Billboard would seem to give the edge to WLS, but the other timing just doesn't seem to work out.  If they performed in Chicago in December of 1968, that's seven weeks before they even went into the studio to record the single.  Is it possible they were rehearsing and demo-ing the song prior to that?  Sure, anything's possible ... but honestly it seems like a bit of a stretch.  (The Milwaukee connection presents another possible solution ... maybe Phil Nee or Gary Myers or somebody else from our list up that way can check this on their end???)  

If it's the "wind" version you're referring to as being an early demo mix, I've heard that one played a number of times over the years ... and probably even have it in my own collection on a compilation CD of some sort.  I guess I never really thought that much about it ... if anything, I found the wind sound distracting!  
"Hair" the musical began its Broadway run in April of 1968 ... and ran for an incredible 1750 performances.  FOUR major hit singles charted from the "soundtrack" ... the title track "Hair" by The Cowsills (#1), "Aquarius / Let The Sun Shine In" by The Fifth Dimension (also #1), "Good Morning Starshine" by Oliver (#3) and "Easy To Be Hard" (#3) by Three Dog Night.  Needless to say ... and controversial as it may have been at the time ... the music from "Hair" crossed over very well to the pop charts.  You can read more about "Hair" in our 20th Anniversary piece saluting 1969 here:  Click here: Forgotten Hits: 1969: HAIR .  In fact, you'll find ALL kinds of cool 1969 memories spread out around this area of the website. 

Intrigued by Jerry's mention of The Cowsills' song "Some Great Years", I did some searching around and found a song called "Some Good Years" by The Cowsills available as an MP3 download on Amazon ... I'm guessing that that's the one you're thinking of ... and I've got to tell you, it's not a bad track at all.  These guys had a much fuller sound than I remember ... really evident on the two tracks we're featuring today.  Actually, the more I play it, the more I like it ... in fact, this is a GREAT song ... and sounds a bit ahead of its time.  After listening to it for the third time, I couldn't help but wonder if Mike and the Mechanics spent some time listening to The Cowsills back in the '60's!!!  Then I found out that this particular song was recorded by the reunited Cowsills in 1993 ... so it's obviously the other way around ... which kinda bummed me out in a way ... but it's still a VERY good song nonetheless!  (kk)


re:  HUEY:  
Where else would a guy go for info other than to Kent and the Forgotten Hits Readers.  
A friend and I were talking about Huey Lewis and the News yesterday.
The talk was about the long time members and I mentioned that I thought that the original bass player, Mario Cipollina, was dead.  Now we've got a bet going.  I know his brother is dead, but I thought that Mario had also died in the last couple years. 
I can't seem to find anything about him passing in 2009 on the internet.
Didn't this come up on the Forgotten Hits list last year?
Thanks for any help.  Bill

I don't remember this particular topic coming up.  I checked the latest Joel Whitburn book to see if he mentioned anything about Mario's passing but there's nothing there.  (It DOES mention that Mario Cipollina was the brother of John from Quicksilver Messenger Service and that he passed away in 1989.)  I couldn't find anything listed online about Mario's passing ... so I've got to assume he's doing fine! Meanwhile, in OTHER Huey Lewis and the News news ... the guys have been asked to sing the National Anthem at the San Francisco 49er's first 2012 Divisional Playoff Game on Saturday, January 14, 2012, at Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA, at 1:30 pm, Pacific Time. (Now THAT's something we can ALL cheer about!!!)  kk
re: CHARLIE GRACIE:
>>>You mentioned the fact that Charlie Gracie was appearing at the World Cafe in Philadelphia on 12/30/2011.  I checked Ron Smith's fine book "Eight Days A Week" and found out that Charlie Gracie recorded "Butterfly" on 12/30/1956. Maybe in some future edition of Forgotten Hits you can ask Charlie to compare those two days. I'd be interested in knowing what happened on both days.  (Frank B)  
December 30th, 1956, would have to be the biggest event in my father's careers (as that's the date when Butterfly and Ninety Nine Ways were laid down) ... until the event this past Friday in 2011. The World Cafe Theater event was amazing -- over 400 attended and that is capacity ... and a little beyond for the WCT. The new cd is doing well, as is the new single BABY DOLL. Richie Scarlet of Kiss (another Gracie fan ... and we were not aware of that until recently) plays the lead instrumental break on the tune.
Chas, Jr.
re: EYDIE GORME:  
>>>I need help finding an Eydie Gorme song on CD.  It's called "I Want You To Meet My Baby".  I believe I've seen it only once on a CD, but it was EXPENSIVE!  It is so hard to find any info about it.  I know it came out in the Spring / Summer of '64 and stalled at #43 nationally.  

I believe Weil / Mann wrote this one.  Here's a YouTube clip -- (It sounds VERY clear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWbDtJKNY0 .   
I heard somewhere that Eydie and Steve purchased her back-catalog and have kept it from re-releases.  Is this true???  The song is so catchy -- it's a real golden oldie that would sound great on the radio!  Why would they not want any recognition on much of her work?  (AJK)
>>>I seem to remember Collectors' Choice Music offering the complete Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme catalog a while back ... 
I just checked their site and found several titles still available: 
Click here: CCMusic Results - eydie gorme ; Click here: CCMusic Results - steve lawrence 
Based on this, I'd say there are a number of selections still available to choose from (but I couldn't find the particular song you were looking for listed amongst them.) 
As for "I Want You To Meet My Baby", I wasn't familiar with it before ... but it's not a bad tune.  (My guess is it was the intended B-Side since the flip is called "Can't Get Over The Bossa Nova", an obvious reference to Gorme's biggest chart record "Blame It On The Boss a Nova", a #6 Hit the year before.)  kk 
I don't have that one in my collection but I recommend using a super mp3 recorder (Windows) or Audio Hijack (Mac) to record audio from youTube.  I get a lot of amazing music that way.  My most recent find was Hully Gully Papa by Jasper Woods that was played on KYA 50 years ago.   Each week on my radio show I play what was coming on station playlists 50 yrs ago.  KPOO.com Sunday Nights  10 pm  Pacific time.  I love to buy the 45's when I can find them,  download from the usual sources (especially like eMusic) but sometimes places like youTube are the last resort.  
My current fave Elvis track is:  It's Your Baby, You Rock It.  The picture of him on the cover of Elvis Country is priceless.
Charlie Miller, the Autumn King  


Kent, 
I always did like Eydie Gorme's I WANT YOU TO MEET MY BABY. That was the 'A' side of the record here in OKC. The flip side was I believe an answer to BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA. Speaking of answers, not too many of the answer records made our local surveys here in OKC. Without checking I don't know offhand if you have ever done a feature in the past concerning answer records. I know that the Blossoms' recording of SON-IN-LAW, the answer to Ernie K-Doe's MOTHER-IN-LAW was played here in OKC. One final thing. The two records you posted by Kenny Rogers reminded me of a novelty / answer to his LUCILLE. It was called LOOSE WHEEL. Don't know offhand who did it. Larry  
P.S. The song by Eydie Gorme is not to be confused with the 1955 recording by singer Lillian Briggs on Epic, I WANT YOU TO BE MY BABY.
We've talked about doing an "Answer Song" series for YEARS now.  Way back when, when Forgotten Hits first started, we had a list member named "Hugybear" who was an answer song collecting fiend ... he had hundreds and hundreds of records in his collection of this nature ... and we talked a few times about putting something together to run in Forgotten Hits.  Sadly, it never happened ... and, even sadder, Hugy is no longer with us.  I think we featured the ULTIMATE answer song a couple of weeks ago when we spun "He'll Have To Go" by Jim Reeves with "He'll Have To Stay" by Jeanne Black in our "Today's Forgotten Hit" feature. 
As for "Lucille" ... and I've told this story many times before ... the first few times I heard this song on the radio, I honestly and seriously believed Kenny was singing about poor Lucille, with four hundred children and a crop in the field."  (lol)  kk

My cousin used to own "I Want You To Meet My Baby" / "Can't Get Over (The Bossa Nova)" by Eydie Gorme as well as "Mixed Up, Shook Up Girl" by Patty & The Emblems (thank you, Dick Biondi, for spinning that one and numerous non-Top 10 requests on your great program!!!). 
Bobster 
And thanks to FH Reader Tom Diehl for sending us a clean MP3 of the Eydie Gorme song!

re:  THIS AND THAT: 
Kent,
I wonder how many Chicagoans remember Svengoolie?  I have been a fan of Jerry G Bishop since his KYW Cleveland radio days before he moved on to CFL in mornings in 68 and then started the Svengoolie TV show airing horror movies.  I ask because our local channel 8.2 now airs the Son of Svengoolie show and it is pretty funny, too. I find that this Svengoolie was a writer for Jerry G's Svengoolie in the 70's before Jerry handed the reigns over to the "Son of S".  When I saw this Svengoolie show, I immediately wondered what was going on, as it was based in Chicago, too.  Pretty nice connection to the old Chicago days for me in Lincoln! 
WLSCLark 
PS.  I still have my Jerry G "Svengoolie" autograph! 
While I was never a Svengoolie fan, I was a BIG fan of Jerry G. Bishop and his time spent on the air here in Chicago.  Would LOVE to know what he's up to ... he was filling in on Real Oldies there for awhile but haven't heard much about him since. I'm sure there are a number of Svengoolie fans out there 'tho!  (kk)

I asked Ron Smith for an update on Jerry G. ... here's what he told me:
Jerry G. did weekends at Real Oldies 1690. He owns three Greek restaurants in San Diego, where he currently lives.  
While he's on Facebook, he doesn't post much, probably due to a mild stroke he suffered a couple of years ago.  
-- Ron

re:  HELPING OUT OUR READERS:
I'm looking for a 1973 MOR song called Love For You by Sonoms. 
Does anyone have it?
Mark The Shark
Hey folks, welcome to Kenny the K's Swap and Shop and Long-Lost Tune Exchange! 
If somebody has a copy of this and is inclined to send it along to Mark, here is his email information:  shark18@nycap.rr.com  (Please do not send the tracks here ... we're providing this as a " reader only" service!)  Thanks!  (kk)

TMI:
File this one under the "Too Much Information" category!
After we posted the clip of Randy Bachman's discovery of how to recreate the opening chord to The Beatles' classic "A Hard Day's Night", we received a rather long-winded (and I'm being kind!) explanation from FH Reader Gary Myers as to the proper definition of a diminished and suspended chord.  I'll be the first to admit that it went COMPLETELY over my head ... and I can't imagine that I'm alone in this regard.
(Don't get me wrong ... Gary has literally written the book on chords ... and you'll find it available thru his website link below.  But this whole thing had my head spinning!  As I mentioned at the time, for me, the whole thing has always been the fact that I was COMPLETELY blown away by the opening chord to "A Hard Day's Night" the very first time I ever heard it ... and continue to consider it one of the GREATEST song-openings ever recorded.  I choose not to analyze it but rather to simply enjoy it!) 
In any event, here it is again (for the benefit of those of you out there who DO speak this language) along with one other comment that we received:  
>>>Kent, 
This is to your contributor Ed, who commented about the "Hard Days Night" chord. I don't know what he's calling an augmented chord in there. The two different chords mentioned in that video are Fadd9 and Dsus, neither of which is augmented, nor do they create an augmented chord when combined. I'm sure this is way more than you want to know, but they aren't really that unrelated either: 
The sus4 of the D is the same note as the add9 on the F.  The D note is the 6th of F (and the actually the root of the overall chord), and the C note (in the F chord) would be the 7th of the Dsus.  The oddest note in the overall chord is actually the F note because the basic overall chord is D7sus4, which is D-G-A-C. The G-A-C are contained in the Fadd9, the D--G-A are contained in the Dsus, leaving the F note as the oddball, and technically making the overall chord a Dm7add4 (or add11).   If it were any variation of G aug, it would have a D# note; if it were any variation of D aug, it would have an A# note; if it were any variation of F aug, it would have a C# note. 

Feel free to refer me to Ed if he'd like to email me directly.
Gary E. Myers / MusicGem
http://www.music-gem.com/index.html
>>>Did you guys all get that?!?!?  Personally, I like it because I just think it sounds really neat!!!  (kk)  

>>>It occurred to me that Ed might be viewing the F note at the augmented 9th of the D7sus, so perhaps that's what he meant. Generally the term "augmented chord" refers to the basic structure and I think any musician I know would take it to mean an aug 5th. Whenever upper extensions are augmented (generally only occuring with 9th's or 11th's), they would be named specifically. So yeah, you could technically name the overall chord as D7sus4/aug9, but since that's a name I've never seen, I'm pretty sure that it will be much better understood as Dm7add4 (or as I also said previously add11, or even just "add G").
Gary E. Myers / MusicGem  
>>>Yes ... that's MUCH clearer now!!!  (lol)  Sorry ... but this is all WAY over MY head!!!  Like I said, I just think it's an amazing sound that they happened to hit upon.  Clearly, they were looking for an attention-getting, dynamic opening chord to kick off their new single (which, in turn, would ALSO open their very first film.)  In this case, I'd have to state that they succeeded in spades.  I can't think of ANY other opening chord that commanded ... and demanded your attention the way this one did back in 1964.  (kk)  

HUH??  Can you put that in 5th grade language (yeah ... for me, too!) ... or should I just stick to playing the Youtube explanation and settle for the WOW factor?? :-)