Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dick Clark - Part 2

Our Tribute to Dick Clark continues today in Forgotten Hits ...

Sharing memories of some of those who knew him ...

Worked with him ...

Or crossed paths with him over the years.

The number of lives he touched over the years is immeasurable ... 

As is his impact on the growth and legacy of rock and roll music.


AS YOU ALREADY KNOW, KENT, I WAS VERY CLOSE TO DICK CLARK'S FAMILY ... AND HE WAS TO MINE ... SO YES, THERE ARE LOTS OF STORIES ... BUT I CAN SAY THAT BESIDES THE MUSIC AND WHAT HE DID FOR ME AND THOUSANDS OF ACTS OVER THE YEARS, MY FAMILY AND HIS FAMILY WERE REAL FRIENDS.  JUST READ THE INTRODUCTION IN MY BOOK AND YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I MEAN. HE WAS A WONDERFUL FRIEND TO MY KIDS AND WIFE ... AND I WILL MISS HIM LIKE SO MANY OTHER ACTS ARE SAYING!  I GO WAY BACK TO 1959 DOING BANDSTAND MORE THAN ANY OTHER ARTIST.  THIS IS A SAD DAY IN MUSIC HISTORY. A GREAT LEGEND HAS DIED.   
GOD IS WITH YOU, DICK.
LOVE, 
FREDDY BOOM BOOM CANNON


Singer Freddy Cannon poses for a portrait with television host Dick Clark during one 
of Freddy's 110 appearances on the TV show "American Bandstand" in circa 1960. 
Photo: Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images

For my dear friend and mentor, Dick Clark ... 
I owe everything to Dick Clark. And I am SO thankful that I got to tell him so, six weeks ago, at his home in Los Angeles. 
Once upon a time, way back in 1952, there was a local Philly show called BANDSTAND. In 1956, a young, charismatic, good-looking kid named Dick Clark became the host of that show. He helped make it so popular that on August 5, 1957 the newly-named, AMERICAN BANDSTAND, debuted nationwide on ABC. The rest is history.  AMERICAN BANDSTAND became an American institution, and Dick Clark became one the most well-known and beloved celebrities in show business, recognized by several generations all over the world. 
What were the chances of actually getting to meet a guy like that, much less having a life-long relationship with him? 
Dick first entered my life when he helped Paul Revere and The Raiders have our very first Top 40 hit in 1961, by playing "Like Long Hair" on AMERICAN BANDSTAND. I can't tell you what a thrill that was for us, I mean, that was huge! But not nearly as huge as our next big break, orchestrated by our manager, Roger Hart. 
Roger was able to get us a spot on the pilot of the Dick Clark production of a new TV show called WHERE THE ACTION IS. It was on five days a week on ABC, and from it's debut on June 28, 1965, we appeared on more than 500 episodes and became a staple on the show. Our affiliation with Dick Clark and WHERE THE ACTION IS led to instant national exposure, nearly instant fame, a major recording career, and invitations to appear on other major television programs: American Bandstand of course, plus Johnny Carson, The Smothers Brothers, The Ed Sullivan Show among others, and even an appearance on Batman!

The show ended on March 31, 1967, but thankfully, Dick wasn't through with us yet. He put us on TV again, this time on a summer replacement show called HAPPENING. Then again on the weekly, Saturday morning series' (following AMERICAN BANDSTAND), HAPPENING 68 and HAPPENING 69. Dick loved us and he liked having us around, and we were a perfect fit for him and his teenage-targeted television shows. In the 80s we did yet another weekly summer replacement show for Dick, and throughout the years appeared on countless TV shows and specials with him.  
Over the years Dick, his wife Kari and I have remained close friends, and have spent many memorable times together. Dick and Kari would have my wife Sydney and I stay at their beautiful Manhattan penthouse apartment whenever we were in New York, and invite us over to their wonderful West coast home whenever we were in Los Angeles. They have always been so kind and generous to us over the years, both personally and professionally. Dick taught me so much about the music business, the television business and business in general. He showed me, by example, how to present myself in public, and how to represent myself in the real world.  
Dick and I worked on projects together outside of television as well. In 1992 we were partners in the very successful restaurant and nightclub called "American Bandstand" in Reno, Nevada. Bill Medley and I also opened the "Dick Clark's American Bandstand Theater" complex in Branson, MO. Bill, myself and The Raiders performed there for three fantastic years.  
Six weeks ago, Sydney and I were in Los Angeles, so we called Dick, and of course, he invited us to come over. We called Keith Allison (a former Raider and regular on the WHERE THE ACTION IS series) and invited him as well. It was just so wonderful to see Dick again, it had been a few years since the last time. We had lunch, talked current events and laughed and reminisced about the good old days - just a really nice time. I was a little sad when it was time to leave, and I promised myself that I was going to get out to L.A. to visit Dick more often.   
We both had tears in our eyes as I hugged him and I told him what he had meant to me in my life, the part he played in shaping a young farm boy into who I became, and who I am today. He was my mentor, my friend, my big brother. The fact that I got to tell Dick that before he left us makes me so happy in this saddest of moments. I really do owe him everything.   
I loved Dick Clark and will miss him greatly, just like the rest of the country.   
Paul Revere

Like Ed Sullivan, Lloyd Thaxton, Don Kirshner, Casey Kasum, Don Cornelius and others, Dick Clark provided young people (like me) television shows that we could relate to.  
In my case, Mr. Clark also helped and encouraged a career I am grateful for insofar as putting Dino, Desi & Billy on the road with Paul Revere & The Raiders, booking us on Where the Action Is and hosting me and The Beach Boys on two of his Rockin' New Year's Eve TV Specials in '74 (with Chicago, The Doobie Brothers and Olivia Newton-John) and '91, respectively.  Always supportive and a true gentleman to me, it was an honor to have known him and I'm sad to see him go.  
Billy Hinsche

(Left to right): Carl Wilson, Billy Hinsche, Dick Clark
Reaching out to thank Mr. Clark after the September taping of the 
1991 Rockin' New Year's Eve show in Los Angeles.
Photo: ©1991Billy Hinsche Archives

My dear friends: 
Today I have lost my good friend, Dick Clark. Without him, I would not have had a career in the music business.  He was always there for me whenever I called him on the phone. We’d sit in his office and just recall the wonderful early years of rock and roll. Without Dick Clark, rock and roll music would have never had the impact that it had. Because of American Bandstand the world was introduced to all of the great rock and roll artists that appeared on his show.  On a recent CD that I just put out of my music, Dick wrote some of the liner notes.  He was a good friend and I cannot even put into words how much I loved him and how much I will miss him.   
Rest in peace, my good friend. 
John Madara 
Dick with the platinum award for the sale of 20 million records of "At The Hop"

Dick with Danny

Dick with the Spokesmen
Hi Kent! 
It's Eddie Kelly again (Original "American Bandstand 'Regular' Dancer", 1959 - 1961) 
Just finished up with a some interviews on ABC and Fox TV ... however, I do want to share a very special moment between Dick and me.
I was a guest at the "American Bandstand 50th Anniversary Show" filmed at the Pasadena Auditorium.  Kari knew I was coming, however, Dick did not.  At the very end of the show Dick came on stage and walked the entire stage shaking hands with a lot of the people.  As he saw me with utter surprise on his face, and eyes filled with tears as he put his hand out to me.  That is the moment I will always remember and cherish. 
Thank you.
Eddie

I remember the first time The Buckinghams met Dick Clark. We were invited to perform "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" on American Bandstand and we were excited but nervous. Dick was such a great interviewer that he had a way of making you feel at ease. We were fortunate to perform on quite a few of his live shows through the years and he always impressed me as a genuine guy you could talk freely to and hang out with. He did so much for all of us, a legend in the music business who help launch so many careers. He will be deeply missed.
Carl Giammarese

Hi Kent ...
I remember Dick Clark in the early days as a very caring and supportive man. During the 1963 Caravan Of Stars Tour, I became ill on the tour bus. We all slept in our seats, but Dick had a bunk in the back of the bus. He saw that I was ill and gave me his bunk to sleep in and he took my seat, which I have never forgotten. The Rip Chords appeared on American Bandstand twice, but unfortunately, there is no surviving video from our performances. We sang "Hey Little Cobra", of course! All that is left from these events is this TV Guide clipping, which is attached to this email ... along with a promo poster from one of the Caravan Of Stars Tours.
We all owe a debt of gratitude to Dick Clark, and I thank him for, among many other things, including The Rip Chords on the 1963 and 1964 "Caravan Of Stars" Tours. I will never forget him.
Richie Rotkin
The Rip Chords

Kent,
I am glad for the opportunity to briefly eulogize such a special person.  I was lucky enough to go from being a teenager watching AB on a black & white Sylvania TV, to actually appearing three times on the show.  Dick Clark was always cordial and professional, even working up a little on-air "piece of business" about having a stagehand toss me a large pillow so I could sit a little higher on the piano bench.  But beyond my personal experience, here was a man who did a great deal for racial integration, quietly but powerfully, with the artists he featured (not to mention, eventually, the dancers).  This "equal opportunity music" was so important to America as a country, and set a great standard.  Thank you, Dick Clark, for enriching my life!
Fondly,
Alan O'Day
 


Hey Kent, 
I posted this on Facebook yesterday but thought you and your readers might like it ... A few Dick Clark stories I thought you'd enjoy:
I went to a party for Dick at the Hard Rock. I hadn't seen him in many years so I was ready to re-introduce myself to him when he struck out his hand and said, "Great to see you, Paul". What a memory that man had!
When I got a my very first video tape deck, I asked my friend, who worked for him, to see if Dick would send tapes of any of my performances to me. Three days later - a knock on the door - a messenger, bringing me the tapes I asked for.
In his book, "Rock, Roll, and Remember", Dick Clark gives me credit for inadvertently giving Bobby Rydell's career a boost. For one of his Saturday shows, Dick needed someone from the audience to play the part of Fred and sit in the back seat of my car. Who did he pull from the audience? The still unknown Bobby Rydell.
When I was putting together my first CD compilation, I phoned Dick and asked if he would send me a quote for the CD. He got a quote to me in days and told me to paraphrase the quote in any way that I liked.
RIP to a super star and a terrific man. 

Paul Evans


PHILADELPHIA – Jerry Gross, lead singer of Philadelphia ‘Bandstand’ dance craze regulars The Dovells (“The Bristol Stomp,” “You Can’t Sit Down”), had the following to say about the passing of Dick Clark:  
“Dick Clark was a legend who helped a lot of acts, including us, gain stardom and have many, many hit records. The entertainment world will sorely miss Dick Clark.”  
In memory of Dick Clark, the Dovells are putting together a special tribute to him to be included in their 50th anniversary concert, scheduled for Saturday (April 21) at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in Cherry Hill, NJ.   
“The Dovells did many tours with Dick Clark in the ‘60s and in the ‘70s, including the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars. We were one of his favorite acts. Dick always called us when he needed a high energy act. He called us the Bowery Boys. We were on the Dick Clark tour that pulled into Dallas at 7 a.m. the day President Kennedy was shot. We were just blocks from the shooting, and of course, our show that evening was cancelled.”

Some of the artists we heard from ... (and some of the artists we DIDN'T hear from) ... phoned in their memories to K-Earth ... check this out!  (kk) 


Kent ... 
Chubby Checker, Freddy Cannon + more.  Even an X-rated Ronnie Spector story.(I thought that would get your attention!)  
Frank B.

Everyone, please view this video and share it ... we'd appreciate it very much.
Best regards,
Trade.
JIMMY JAY MEMORIES OF HIS FRIEND DICK CLARK ...
Our latest video. "DICK CLARK REMEMBRANCE TRIBUTE"
... (Jimmy Jay Memories)


More Dick Clark Memories tomorrow in Forgotten Hits!