Thursday, January 23, 2014

Helping Out Our Readers

Hi -  
I just discovered your Forgotten Hits website and am enjoying the trivia. I am writing to you because I saw that there was a contest last year and the prize was a copy of a book I have been searching for. I was turned on to music in the early 70's and followed the Billboard charts passionately and listened to Casey's show every Sunday morning for 4 or 5 hours with a pen and pad and wrote down every title. (Did not realize there was an actual magazine that kept a list weekly for a few years!) 
I would really like to know when they plan on reprinting and selling the book, if ever, again. I went to the Joel Whitburn website and it is always 'unavailable.' 
Thank you 
Zoltan Deak 
Norwalk, CT   
I know Joel's book had completely sold out when our trivia contest ran ... which is what made one of his personal copies such a cool prize to give away. 
Joel recently reprinted the '60's Chart book ... so I asked him if any plans were underway to do the same with the 1970's edition.  (kk)  
Kent, 
As you probably know, printing books has become extremely expensive. We've had a number of "big" ones this past year, including "Hot Country Songs", "Top Pop Singles" "1950s Chart Book" and now "Cash Box Pop Hits", which is printing this Friday.  We should have some stock in on Monday (with lots of preorders to fill!)  So, there just hasn' t been a lot of room to catch up on reprints of out of stock titles. 
I definitely plan on re-prints of the Billboard 1970s, 1980s & 1990s books spread throughout this year. 
I'm also working on a new book project which I hope to have out in two to three months.  It has something to do with "Top Pop Playlists" surrounded by picture sleeves in full color for EACH MONTH per year!   When I have some samples I'll send them to you, but right now I'm still working on the layout, years covered, etc.  It will probably be a perfect book for those looking for "Forgotten Hits" that we all loved so much.  I'll keep you posted. 
Joel  
Man ... ALWAYS something new and exciting coming from this guy!!!  And he keeps finding new ways to present the material to us, which I love!  Stay tuned for exclusive "sneak peeks" right here in Forgotten Hits ... and as soon as we get word about a '70's Chart Book Reprint, we'll let you know, Zoltan!  Glad you're enjoying Forgotten Hits.  (kk)  
Hi Kent, 
Really? Wonderful! That would be amazing.  
Thank you for asking him. I'm excited. I am so desperate to own one that I am involved in a bidding war at this very moment on Ebay. Now I hope someone else tops my current high offer! 
Much appreciated, 
Zoltan  
Well, be patient ... and maybe we can save you a few bucks!  (Besides, Joel doesn't make any extra money when his books are sold at these "collectors' rates" ... and he'd rather offer them at a fair price value / bargain anyway!) kk

Hi Kent, 
This is a LONG SHOT!!! ... But maybe you or one of the dedicated Forgotten Hits fans can pull this one from somewhere.  I'd like to know the song and artist of an instrumental (the worst kind of song to not the know the title to) track used in an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. 
Here's the episode on Hulu.  This is front the 1st season, and the song appears around 9:15 and continues throughout a very odd scene for The Mary Tyler Moore Show, with an outdoor montage of footage.  
http://www.hulu.com/watch/668  
The title of this episode is "Bess, You Is My Daughter Now" from the show's first season.  This song has been used in the series at least one another time, albeit in a short snippet only.  It might just be generic TV music, but this full length song leads me to believe this track might exist somewhere. Now I have a hunch the artist might be Patrick Williams, who was responsible for scoring several films and shows.
Here's some of his work:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Williams_(composer) and his personal website confirms some work on The Mary Tyler Moore Show:  http://www.patrickwilliamsmusic.com William's body of work is quite extensive.  Anyway, it is a long shot, but any way somebody might be able to put a name to the song I linked to, or maybe even a confirmation that it is indeed part of Williams' work? 
Thanks Kent and FH Readers, 
AJK  
I investigated Patrick Williams' site and, based on what I'm hearing here, I'd have to say that it's a real strong possibility that he supplied the music for this track.  It seems his "incidental music" used in both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Columbo regularly get comments and requests. 
But it ALSO sounds like most of these snippets never even got song titles ... he was just told to fill "x" minutes of screen time and come up with something based solely on that criteria. 
He also doesn't own any of the rights to his own music ... so he has no way of making it available to interested parties and, surprisingly, it sounds like there have been THOUSANDS of requests over the years. 
As such, you may have to live off you Hulu Clip ... or burn just that musical segment to your computer. 
Here's a copy from Jason Lee, an associate Of Patrick Williams with a bit more detailed explanation.  (kk)  
Hi Kent, 
My name is Jason Lee.  I work with Patrick Williams, and was forwarded your message in hopes that I could assist you. 
It's a tough inquiry, as all of that music is owned by FOX (formerly MTM Enterprises).  Often times there were no actual "titles" to the pieces other than a cue# and the length of the piece.  Pat does not have any of the music from that show in his personal archive, as it's owned by FOX, so it's pretty much impossible to track down the information you're looking for unless you were to contact the studio directly ... and even then, I can't imagine it being an easy task. 
Pat gets requests almost daily for his music from the Marry Tyler Moore Show and especially the work he did on Columbo.  Unfortunately, we're not able to re-release any of this music or make it available for people to enjoy. Thanks for your inquiry, Kent.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. 
Have a great rest of your week. 
Best, 
Jason  

Kent, 
Hope you and family had a nice holiday. 
I have a question as you are the man. 
One of the cover tunes I played in my 60's garage band was "Midnight Hour". Of course Wilson Pickett (and scores of other artists) did the song. I think that some local band had a release of it, too, since I remember hearing it on the radio, but never had a copy on record. Do you know who's the artist? If so, how can I procure that song? 
Thanks, 
Bob  
I'm guessing it's the Michael and the Messengers' version that you're remembering, which did very well here in Chicago.  Give a listen to the track below and see if this one rings the bell.  (Of course The Rascals' version got quite a bit of airplay, too, but I figure you've already ruled that one out.) Michael and the Messengers have come up several times the past couple of weeks in Forgotten Hits ... we're actually trying to put a short piece together on these guys with the help of Gary Myers, who wrote the book on the History of Wisconsin Rock.  (kk)


Ya, that's the one. I know Wilson Pickett's and the Rascals' versions are infinitely more soulful, but that one

sticks with me - my garage band had the cheesy Farfisa organ sound too. It was cool to hear it again!

Thanks, Kent
Bob    

Hi Kent,

I'm trying to produce a documentary about the local Boston, MA, music scene in the 60's and was writing to ask if you could post this on your website. I'm trying to find any archive video from the mid 1960's concerning some local Boston, MA, Rock Bands that anyone might have in their archives that they could share or may know of that might have aired on any local TV or news shows on any networks from the years 1966 - 1969. The main bands I'm looking for footage of are Orpheus, Pandoras, Ill Wind, Teddy & The Pandas, Rockin' Ramrods, Barry & The Remains, Ultimate Spinach, Beacon Street Union or any one else associated with that scene at that time. I know a lot of these bands had done some TV over those years so I'm hoping some may be around.
I read your newsletter all the time! It's always very cool. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Lenny Scolletta
Happy to put this out there, Lenny ... good luck.  (Interested parties can contact Lenny directly through the email address shown above.)  kk

Aside from the known stories about raiding each others' dj staff, why was it some major songs hitting Number One on WLS would make a paltry showing at CFL, as in for example, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", which only charted for two weeks on the latter, and some songs never made the playlist that went on and did well nationally.  In hindsight, it looks almost suicidal,business-plan wise … 
Regards, 
Tim Abbott  
Hi Tim!  

You're right about the jocks moving from station to station during this era ... but that also goes to show you just how well known ... and how well-LOVED these jocks were here in Chicago back in the day.  (How often do you see that today ... especially in a time when SO much of radio is automated or voice-tracked ... there is very little connection between the guy on the radio and the guy listening at home anymore, other than some of today's Top 40 stations that have kept the trend going ... and those stations that incorporate talk into their music mix.
Naturally, the two stations competed for audience share and often one station would jump on a record that the other station passed on ... but by and large, their charts were very similar over the years.  Sometimes they'd air different versions of the same songs ("Beautiful People" and "Son Of My Father" immediately come to mind ... WLS played the Bobby Vee and Giorgio versions, respectively, while WCFL opted for the versions cut by Kenny O'Dell and Chicory.)  
The Queen example, however, is not a fair analysis ... the reason "Bohemian Rhapsody" only charted for two weeks and stopped at #31 is because WCFL shut down in what would have been the record's third week on the chart.  The final WCFL Chart published was dated February 21, 1976, which was "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s second (and final) week on the chart. (kk)

And, speaking of WCFL ...

>>>J.R. Russ “has spent a thousand hobby hours to create an Internet version of WCFL (1000), the free-wheeling Chicago station that during the 1960s and 1970s was the home of Larry Lujack, Jerry G. Bishop and Barney Pip.” That’s the Chicago Sun-Times’ Dave Hoekstra, profiling “a labor of love” by Russ. J.R. says that “rather than a tribute station, stuck in the ‘60s and ’70s, I call it a salute station, which captures the essence of the original,” but plays some newer music. His traffic grew after Lujack’s death on December. 18. Read the Sun-Times story about the original WCFL where the jocks were “more unleashed,” and the current J.R. Russ version of it here. Note that J.R.’s also got the “Chickenman” comedy series, created by then-WCFL production genius Dick Orkin.

Kent, 
Do you have the website for this station??
Clark
The link in your email is SUPPOSED to take you there ... but I personally have tried numerous times now to access the station and have yet to connect.  I either just keep spinning or being redirected to other areas, none of which allow me to listen to the site.  I'm hoping that someone else on the list had better success with this and can provide us with a new link so that others on the list can enjoy it, too.  I'll keep you posted.  Help anyone???  (kk)