Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Some Of Your Mid-Week Chatter

The list of this year's Oscar Nominees came out yesterday ...

And "Bohemian Rhapsody" scored FIVE nominations ... include TWO of the biggies ...

Best Picture ...

And Best Actor for Rami Malek's portrayal of the incomparable Freddie Mercury.



We are SO glad that this film is being recognized.  (Think Borat is crying in his cornflakes this morning???)

You can actually buy a digital download of the movie right now ...

But if you want a physical "hard copy" on BluRay or DVD, you've got to wait until February 12th to get it.  (We told you a a couple of weeks ago about all the special packaging options that are available depending on where you choose to purchase it.) 

We can't wait.  (I'm most likely to pick up my copy at Target where it comes with a companion booklet.) 

Malek won The Golden Globe for Best Actor ... but there's some pretty stiff competition in this category in this year's Oscar race.  (The film also garnered nods in the Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Film Editing categories.)

************

Funny Facebook post making the rounds yesterday pertaining to Mark Lindsay (former lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders) and Dino, Desi and Billy (who guested on Mark's "Where The Action Is" television program several times.)

Our good buddy Mark Lindsay shares this hilarious story (Billy Hinsche)

Image may contain: text
(Both Mark and Billy have been long-time friends of Forgotten Hits ... but this piece was submitted by Frank B)


Kent,
I don't know if everyone in the country had a copy of the LP THE FIRST FAMILY, but you are probably correct in that the vast majority of people in the country did. I do have a copy of the LP but it was bought by my parents when I was a kid. I don't really remember it at all being played on our local top 40 radio station(s) here in OKC, but it probably was. 
Reading about THE FIRST FAMILY reminded me of another LP that came out shortly thereafter. It was called THE OTHER FAMILY, which was about JFK's counterpart living over in the Kremlin. It featured the voices of Larry Foster, Marty Brill, and Tory Deane. I do have a copy of that LP and again, it was probably bought by my parents. It came out on Laurie Records.
Larry
I forgot all about that one ... but I think we had it, too!  (kk)

Hey Kent
It has been awhile ... SO much stuff going lately so I have a lot to catch up on.
Anyway the last few concerts I have been to were enjoyable. Saw Tommy James at the Genesee ... a great show although I wish he would change up and throw a few different hits that we haven't heard like 'Get Out Now."  The TJ fans are hard core.  I met a few at a restaurant in Gurnee before the concert. They were from all over ... PA., MN, IND and WISC. They had pics, scrapbooks, etc. Tommy is always gracious after the concert and he signed my copy of Hanky Panky (on the original Snap label) and a program I had from when he had a concert at Luther North High School in Chicago back in 1967!
I believe you realize that Elk Grove have their summer concerts but they always have a free show the day after Thanksgiving, too. They have a Christmas tree lighting ceremony with fireworks and entertainment. Previous years they had the Bucks, Gary Lewis and, in 2018, had Gary Puckett.  He is still in good voice and had more hits than I thought. I forgot his thought provoking song 'Home'. Hope I have the money to see him with the Happy Together Tour this year. 
Oh, and before I forget, Happy 20th!  You, sir, are one in a million. We appreciate all your hard work. 
Speaking of hard work anything new with the Chicagoland Rock and Roll Museum?
As far groups without the originals, all I have to say is check their web site and decide for yourself. I have seen groups with no originals give a great show like the Raiders ... and others ... well, I'd rather not say. 
I agree, Kent ... I saw the Chicago Experience at the Marty Grebb Benefit Concert and they blew me away ... yes, better than the current Chicago. 
Now I hear the Raiders have a new lead singer or am I dreaming? I hope not!
Lastly ... thank you, Jim Peterik!  Where is there another city that has anything like the Cornerstones of Rock! 60's rock in Chicago was fantastic! 
Mike De Martino
Wow!  Good to hear from you, Mike, but lots to cover here!  (Some of your inquiries are so timely I'll try to cover them all!)
In order ... Tommy James ALWAYS puts on an incredible show.  (Believe it or not, I'm actually scheduled to talk with him tomorrow night!)  There are other hits I would love to see him mix in from time to time, just to shake things up a bit.  He had SO many great hits that some just fall thru the cracks sometimes.  In addition to "Get Out Now," I would LOVE to hear "She," one of my all-time favorites by him.  "Nothing To Hide" was another big hit here in Chicago (but it didn't do as well in other parts of the country.)  And his new stuff is just as good as his old stuff ... would LOVE to see him slip in a couple of new tracks every now and again, especially since he has a brand new album coming out real soon.
I've never been to Elk Grove's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony but hear it's a real good time.  Their summer concert series has gotten crazy-packed ... but we just may have to head on up there to see Boz Scaggs this year ... his was one of the best shows we saw a couple of years ago when he performed at The Arcada.
We mentioned the other day that Ron Dante will be filling in for Howard Kaylan again this year when The Turtles perform their annual Happy Together Tour.  Would love to see a return performance at The Genesee Theatre this year if it can be worked out.
Thank you on the congrats ... I can't believe it's been 20 years!
As for the latest status on our new tribute to the great music that came out of the City of Chicago, it's actually called The Chicago Music Hall Of Fame ... and has run into a few snags along the way.  (One major one is that the intended building site has just been sold!)  Ron Onesti is currently scouting other locations and several of us are chomping at the bit to get things up and running.  I'm hoping to have more information on this soon so stay tuned.
And yes, The Chicago Experience is the bomb!  We're seeing them at The Metropolis Performing Arts Center in Arlington Heights Friday Night and we can't wait.  ALWAYS an amazing show.  (Hopefully the weather will cooperate somewhat because we are in for what looks to be a long stretch of snow, sleet and bitter cold temperatures!)
The Raiders do indeed have a new lead singer ... Dave
Huizinga, who used to front the '60's band Generation.  We're actually going to help MC a show in March featuring Paul Revere's Raiders and Ray Graffia, Jr. and Ronnie Rice of The New Colony Six ... with other surprise guests expected to be added.  It's a benefit concert put on by Dynasty Entertainment to help raise money for Easter Seals ... and all of the details can be found in the poster below ...
 
 
And finally, they don't come any better than Jim Peterik!  The guy is an INCREDIBLE performer, songwriter, arranger, promoter, producer ... he does it all ... and despite all of the success and accolades that have come his way, he deserves ten times more recognition than he has ever received.  He's a Chicago treasure ... no, it goes even deeper than that ... a national music treasure.  The guy is one of a kind ... and we feel fortunate to even be allowed to step into his world from time to time.  
Hope to see you at some of the aforementioned shows!  (kk)