Monday, September 2, 2024

And A New Review By Shelley!

SONS OF CREAM

The Katherine Hepburn Theatre for the Arts! One of my favorite venues. AND it has the cleanest restrooms! (My criteria, maybe not yours) 

The artists appearing are a tad different than you might imagine for Kate, but then again, she herself was rebellious in some ways. Sons of Cream hit the stage to echoing applause that would have surprised me had I not seen the audience as it filed into their seats. It was the Woodstock crowd 55 years later. Some clad head to toe in worn-out denim with low ponytails and headbands, others in sweatpants or just casually dressed. They carry in their drinks and snacks, and as I look around, men take over the majority in numbers, with only one child, maybe pre-teen age. I bring this up purely because it is different from 60s concerts in general where whole families attend together. 

The players are Ginger Baker's son: Kofi Baker; Jack Bruce's son: Malcolm Bruce and Kofi's cousin: Rob Johnson. The explanation Kofi gives of his connection to Rob is, "My father's sister's grandson."  They advertise that they will play the music of Cream and Blind Faith-both of which were bands with Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton. With the flow of artists moving from Yardbirds to Cream to Blind Faith to Derek and the Dominos and several other incarnations, I can't say I am fluent in all the recordings of Cream and Blind Faith. Yes, I know the charting numbers very well, have them on 45s and will jump up to dance with them in a heartbeat. Tonight, I will emotionally engage in the more jazz than rock songs that these two groups recorded.

"The only time I'm happy's when I play my guitar." What a wonderful song (N.S.U) to open with. That sentence epitomizes the emotions of the artists we go to see repeatedly. Whether they play guitar, drums, keyboards or other instruments, if we see their joy in performing, we will return ... again and again. 

Kofi was the first one to enter the stage and has remained serious and intent throughout the first two numbers. Then, during 'Sleep Time Today,' he suddenly laughs and his face exudes a joy that lights up the room. Why now, I don't know, but I am glad for it. For me, the tension is dropped, and I relax. I am not past thinking that the stories of his father's temper have affected me with pre-conceived ideas and seeing open happiness breaks through that protective wall. 

Kofi says the show is different every night, and with the jazzy feel of the guitar and drum solos, I can understand that. My father is a jazz lover, and so I am aware of the improvisation that goes into each performance, contrasted with the highly developed rock solos also exhibited in the 60s. 

Asked Kofi, "Dad, what does 'Pressed Rat and Warthog' mean? It must be really deep."
 
Ginger, "No. I just made it up."

"And, as Dad would say ... It goes thusly."

A massive drum solo allows Malcolm and Rob to leave the stage, returning to finish off the first act.

Intermission

Malcom Bruce also follows his dad by playing bass guitar. Again, the bass line is more jazz than rock, being separate from the drum beat and more on a rolling scale of performance. Rob has to take up Clapton's role on lead guitar, and while Eric is not the only one who can deliver a spelling guitar solo, it can definitely be daunting to follow his lead. I am reminded of the statement made by one of my special needs students when he saw a video of Clapton performing ... 
 
"It's ironic that they call him Slowhand!" 
 
I am proud of that statement for many reasons. Both of these men are consummate musicians and the audience, who know these songs so much better than me, clap, stand and are able to sing along. 

There is a guitar switch in the second act. Rob and Malcolm literally walk across the stage and exchange places and guitars so that Malcolm can take over the lead guitar for one song. He and Rob have rotated as main vocalists, with Malcolm getting a rousing ovation for this number. 

Now my highlight: 'White Room' and 'Sunshine of Your Love'.
 
I never saw Cream or Blind Faith in concert, and I just relish these two songs in action. At the end of 'Sunshine'?
 
BLACKOUT!!
 
Very effective. They leave the stage, return to a standing ovation, perform an encore, thank the audience and humbly leave again. No bows.

I cannot give you a set list, as I do not know all of the songs I heard tonight. The concert was two and a half hours long, longer than I expected. 
 
SONS OF CREAM indeed they are. There must be something in the DNA.Emoji

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano
NE Correspondent
Forgotten Hits

 

60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

9/2/64 – Actor Keanu Reeves is born


AND ONE FINAL REMINDER ...

The WLS / WCFL Rewound Labor Day Weekend wraps up at Midnight Tonight ...

We hope you've been enjoying it!

DON'T MISS:  The WLS New Year's Eve Montage, running at exactly NOON Eastern / 11 am Central ... it's a classic!

And, as one more special feature, how about a little "Real Time Rewind"???

Tonight at 10 pm Eastern / 9 pm Central, they'll be airing the Kris Erik Stevens Show from Labor Day, 1969 ... exactly as it ran here in Chicago exactly 55 years ago. 

https://rewoundradio.com/instantonicecast.html

Enjoy other classic Top 40 broadcasts throughout the day, including segments by  Jerry G. Bishop, Ron Britain, Chuck Buell, Bob Dearborn, Tommy Edwards, John Landecker, Larry Lujack, Barney Pip, Ron Riley, Art Roberts, Bob Sirott, Jim Stagg and Fred Winston ... as well as an episode of Animal Stories and Chickenman.  (Man, radio just doesn't get any better than this!)  kk