Sunday, December 11, 2022

The Sunday Comments ( 12 - 11 - 22 )

SOME GREAT NEWS FROM TOMMY ROE:

Looks like Tommy’s got some new music coming up …

And he’s letting Forgotten Hits break the news!

I am absolutely LOVING his tribute to his late wife, “My Little Josette” … what a great track!

 

Hi Kent …

Hope you’re doing well. Wishing you and your family an early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I am finally releasing my new music, and thought I would give you, and the many followers of Forgotten Hits a heads up.

I am attaching two of my latest, “My Little Josette,” and “Traffic Jam.” 

Both are up on all the streaming platforms.

Traffic Jam is a remake of a song I wrote in the 70’s with Mac Davis, and released on my We Can Make Music album with Steve Barry producing.

“My Little Josette” was released this week and I am attaching info at the bottom of this email for you.

The new album will be released in January, and all the tracks, including “Traffic Jam," have already been produced by my friend Mike Franklin, and will be released on his Solar Music label.

“My Little Josette,” will be part of a separate project I am working on with my friend Michael Lloyd producing. Lotta Mikes in my life right now!

So, things are finally falling into place for me, and I am looking forward to a very musical New Year.

Kent, have a great holiday season.

Best,

T.

My Little Josette / Traffic Jam by Tommy Roe

 

 

From the official press release:

 

Tommy Roe is a multifaceted international artist who wrote, co-wrote, and recorded six Top 10 hits between 1962, and 1969.

Tommy has four RIAA Certified Gold Records, and two of his hits, "Sheila" and "Dizzy," topped the Billboard chart at #1.

With a total of 11 records reaching the Billboard Top 40, and 27 Billboard Top 100 chart records, Tommy is considered one of the early pioneers of the American Pop music culture.

Tommy’s new release, “My Little Josette,” is a song he wrote as a tribute to his late wife, actress, and Golden Globe winner, Josette Banzet. Tommy’s long time friend, and amazingly talented Michael Lloyd produced the track, and Josette’s close friend, Sylvie Vartan, is featured doing the narration. The production, along with Tommy’s performance is magic.

Tommy has had an amazing career and has produced a body of work to be proud of … but he isn’t slowing down. He continues to write new songs and release new recordings for the thousands of fans around the world who follow his career and enjoy his music.

This song is quite a departure from Tommy’s normal, and expected style, and showcases the enduring talent of Tommy’s 60 plus years in the music business. Amazing indeed!

www.tommyroe.com

It’s a GREAT track … and shows a whole new side to “The King of Bubble Gum Music!”

(His bluesy tracks on “Devil’s Soul Pile” were another big departure from his signature sound … and just go to show you how talented and versatile he is!)

More info as it becomes available … but you can download “My Little Josette” right now thru all of the usual places.  (kk)

 

NOT DOING SO WELL:

Celine Dion disclosed a rare illness last week, explaining why it has been so difficult for her to perform (much less carry on her normal daily routine.)

Stiff Person Syndrome only affects about one in a million people …

According to the Stiff Person Syndrome Foundation, this neurological disorder affects the central nervous system, specifically the brain and spinal cord. “Patients can be disabled, wheelchair-bound or bed-ridden, unable to work and care for themselves.”  Symptoms can include “hyper-rigidity, debilitating pain, chronic anxiety and muscle spasms so violent they can dislocate joints and even break bones.”

In an emotional Instagram statement, Celine said:

“This is what’s been causing all the spasms that I’ve been having. Unfortunately, these spasms affect every aspect of my daily life, sometimes causing difficulties when I walk and not allowing me to use my vocal cords to sing the way I’m used to.”

She has cancelled her entire 2023 schedule, but hopes to be back on stage again in 2024.  US appearances were cancelled earlier this year due to health reasons which, she says, have now been properly diagnosed. 

“I’m working hard with my sports medicine therapist every day to build back my strength and my ability to perform again but I have to admit it’s been a struggle. I miss you so much, I miss seeing all of you being on the stage performing for you. I always give 100 per cent when I do my shows, but my condition is not allowing me to give you that right now.  For me to reach you again, I have no choice but to concentrate on my health at this moment and I have hope that I’m on the road to recovery.  I love you guys so much and I really hope I can see you again real soon.”

 

Meanwhile, Aerosmith has cancelled the rest of their current residency in Las Vegas due to front man Steven Tyler’s on-going (but still undisclosed) health issues.

In a very simple statement they said: 

“To all our fans … We are so sorry to announce we are cancelling these last two Las Vegas shows.  On the advice of doctors, Steven has to sit these out.  Stay healthy and we’ll see you in the new year!”

 

THIS ... THAT ... AND THE OTHER:

 

Here’s a cool retrospective from Billboard Magazine …

 

A look back at the artists who spent the most weeks at #1 on their Top 200 Albums List!

 

https://www.billboard.com/lists/most-weeks-at-no-1-billboard-200-taylor-swift-the-beatles/#recipient_hashed=fa7e92da6f6e66bffcf0bcbf863670c6eb37d7159eb4d0ea1e44fecd5ec87eeb&recipient_salt=3a1d6b09af3b92ad7e38f8327cf18febeb049fd1c9a251b66957a07d9375735c

 

Every artist who has spent 30 weeks or more at the top of the heap is listed here (in countdown order) beginning with Mariah Carey and The Eagles (each with 30) all the way on up to Michael Jackson (51), Garth Brooks (52) – for real???, Taylor Swift (!!!) 60, Elvis Presley, 67 … and a number nobody else is ever likely to top, The Beatles, who have held down the top spot for a grand total of 132 weeks!!!

 

Elton John (who seemed to have nothing BUT #1 albums back in the ‘70’s) has logged 39 weeks in the top spot, which is one more week than The Rolling Stones can claim (they’ve got 38, which ties them with Fleetwood Mac, who had one of the biggest #1 albums of all time.)

 

More remarkable … The Monkees logged 37 weeks on top including, as we have pointed out numerous times in the past, an incredible 31 weeks in a row between their first two album releases … “The Monkees” (13) and “More Of The Monkees” (18), which is more than The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper” album was able to accomplish that year.  (That one crapped out after fifteen weeks on top!)

 

It's a fun list … with more than a few surprises.  (Who tied The Monkees with 37 weeks on top?  Wouldja believe Harry Belafonte?!?!?)

Check out the link about to see the complete list.  (kk)

 

And, speaking of albums, it sounds like Dolly Parton is going all-in (and all-out) on her first-ever rock album.

 

Since first being nominated for Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction, Dolly has committed to record a genuine rock album … something she says her husband is 100% in favor of.  (He’s been suggesting she do this for YEARS!!!)

 

At one point, she talked about re-recording “Satisfaction” with The Rolling Stones as her back-up band … I’m not sure if that’s exactly how that will go down (although it WOULD be very interesting … remember when Keith Richards backed up Bette Midler on her version of “Beast Of Burden”???)

 

She was also hoping to reunite Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for a Dolly-version of “Stairway To Heaven,” a song she has performed in concert for several years now.

 

She also promised to share vocals with Steve Perry, formerly of Journey, and cover songs by Prince and Lynyrd Skynyrd …

 

So my guess is that this will be a HIGHLY anticipated album once a release date has been announced.  (Nothing official yet on a release date … but the buzz has already started!!!)

 

I think at this point, most of us believe that Dolly can do whatever she sets her mind to … and do it well at that!  (kk)

 

And be sure to check out this incredible interview with a songwriting legend, Andy Kim, courtesy of Tom Cuddy … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-R2Q9UgE1I

 

And, for MORE songwriting back stories, check out this article from Harvey Kubernik …

 


Anatomy of 55 more Songs The Oral History of Top Hits That Changed Rock, Pop and Soul by Marc Meyers

By Harvey Kubernik © Copyright 2022 

 

Marc Myers is a regular contributor to the Wall Street Journal, where he writes about music and the arts. He is the author of the critically acclaimed books Anatomy of a SongWhy Jazz Happened, and Rock Concert, and posts daily at JazzWax.com, a three-time winner of the Jazz Journalists Association’s award for Jazz Blog of the Year.

 

His wonderful new book, Anatomy of 55 More Songs The Oral History of Top Hits That Changed Rock, Pop and Soul is now out in hardcover from Grove Atlantic.

 

Songs that sell the most copies become hits, but some of those hits become something more — iconic recordings that not only inspire a generation but also change the direction of music. In Anatomy of 55 More Songs, based on his column for the Wall Street Journal, music journalist and historian Marc Myers tells the story behind fifty-five rock, pop, R&B, country, and soul-gospel hits through intimate interviews with the artists who wrote and recorded them.

 

Part oral history, part musical analysis, Anatomy of 55 More Songs ranges from Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Bad Moon Rising” to Dionne Warwick’s “Walk On By,” The Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations,” and Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid.” 

 

Bernie Taupin recalls how he wrote the lyrics to Elton John’s “Rocket Man;” Joan Jett remembers channeling her rage against how she had been unfairly labeled and treated as a female rocker into “Bad Reputation;” and Ozzy Osbourne, Elvis Costello, Bob Weir, Sheryl Crow, Alice Cooper, Roberta Flack, John Mellencamp, Keith Richards, Carly Simon, and many others reveal the emotions and technique behind their major works.

 

Through an absorbing chronological, song-by-song analysis of the most memorable post-war hits, Anatomy of 55 More Songs provides a sweeping look at the evolution of pop music between 1964 and today. This book will change how you listen to music and evaluate the artists who create it. 

In a November, 2022, email exchange, Myers offered some back story about these popular copyrights and recordings.

 

“The idea for the WSJ’s Anatomy of a Song column was conceived by editors in 2011. After writing the first two or three as a write-through, I decided there would be much more energy and color if I crafted them in the voice of the songwriters and artists. My editors told me to give it a shot. So, I took their words and turned the song’s story into an oral history narrative.   

 

“It quickly turned out that the stories behind the songs were just as poetic as the songs themselves. In addition, I was a able to stir up songwriters’ memories and dislodge facts that hadn’t been captured previously. My mission always was to go beyond what was already reported and to surface as much interesting detail as possible, all in a storytelling format (a beginning, middle and end).   

 

“There were so many wow moments. These included getting clarification of whether the Band was singing “Take the load off Franny or Annie." I also learned that Franny was the manager of New York’s Gotham Book Store that Robbie frequented.   

 

“I also never knew why the single of Crystal Blue Persuasion featured horns but the album version didn’t, why Elvis Costello started “Accidents Will Happen” a cappella with “Oh I…,” how Bob Weir managed to get through the word-jammed verses of Trucking’ so quickly, how Yes managed to create that one-note sound that opens Roundabout, who the inspiration was for the Hollies’ Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, who Kenny Rogers was thinking about when he recorded The Gambler, the significant of Sept. 21 in Earth, Wind & Fire’s September and who whispered “Be quiet, big boys don’t cry” in 10cc’s I’m Not in Love and who came up with the idea.”   Ironically, or logically, there are a handful of recordings that I have examined and chronicled over the last half century: Dionne Warwick’s “Walk on By,” the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations,” and the 5th Dimension’s “Up, Up and Away.”  

 

During the last couple of decades, before the publication of Myers’ book, I interviewed the architects of several landmark copyrights and audio excursions that he praises.

 

In my 1977 and 2007 interviews with Brian Wilson, we ruminated about “Good Vibrations …

 

“At the playback, all the guys said, ‘Hey Brian. This is a number one record.’ I said, ‘You know what? I agree. I think this is gonna be a number one record.’   

 

“Mike’s bass part was the one specific element. Mike’s voice on it was the thing that sold me on it. Mike’s singing got us famous. Because his voice has a quality to it that goes hand and hand with the song. He was the appropriate singer for the song.       “And, when I heard “Good Vibrations” on the radio for the first time on the radio I cried my eyes out. I was in my house in Bel-Air when I heard it on the radio. My God!”

I remember when the Beach Boys rehearsed “Good Vibrations” in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. at the former site of The Moulin Rouge that eventually was known as The Aquarius Theater. Just before the play HAIR was in that venue.  Brian was teaching the group the intricate vocal parts because he wasn’t going to perform in concerts with them. I asked if he recalled the rehearsals … 
“Yes. I wanted it to be done right and I wanted them ready to go for tour. I knew it could work on stage. I never thought ‘How is this gonna work live?’ When we rehearsed everyone was very cooperative. When the boys were touring in 1966 that was when I first started writing even more parts for them. I can’t answer anything else about it.”  
Brian subsequently flew to Michigan to see “Good Vibrations” played live for the first time.  
“Right. In front of an audience,” he exclaimed. “I just remember saying, ‘That’s fantastic.’ Ten minute ovation. What was it like? I was proud as hell. I took a bow. I knew the group could perform the material on stage. When it went to number one it did give me some confidence I could write in sections.   
In ‘Good Vibrations,’ Mike’s singing got us famous. Because his voice has a quality to it that goes hand and hand with the song. Carl Wilson is my favorite rock ‘n’ roll singer. He had a resonate voice and he had a lot of energy and power in his voice. In which I didn’t have or Mike, or the other guys. Carl and Dennis were both my brothers and my artists. Dennis as a singer... First of all, he had an energy. Right? Second of all he had a nice quality about his voice. Coupled energy with a sweetness and that was his whole trip. Bruce Johnson. He is not an energy singer. Bruce is a sweeter singer and a better falsetto. 
The title “Good Vibrations” come from my mother. In Hawthorne, California. She said, ‘dogs bark at humans because they think of good vibrations,” they pick up on bad vibrations but don’t mind picking up good vibrations. My mother got the title for it.” 
During 2000, I discussed the recording “Walk On By” with composer Burt Bacharach. He penned the tune with partner Hal David. Burt revealed arranging concepts and usage of strings in his recorded collaborations with Warwick, along with Jackie DeShannon and Elvis Costello.  
“Nothing is crowded.  But then our intent was not to be crowded in the composition, or crowded in what was gonna be jammed in on the color, the orchestration, things that would be too busy behind. For me, it’s always - if it can work - if you have the song, and you have it intimate, then you have the capacity to explode on a level that is very wide scope. 
“I’m very conscious of too much strings on records.  It’s an invasion of some territory that I’m very allergic to now.  First of all, you’ve got to have a lead going in.  So, when you know you have a situation that plays, then you can take the strings - and I overwrote the strings a little bit, I didn’t realize I overwrote until I heard ‘em and then I realized, ‘...hey, let them play five bars and let’s bail.  Let’s bring ‘em out for that sweep down, and then, right on the modulation...’  And, you know...  It’s like you have a great smile but you can’t use it all the time.  Drop it in.”
In my 2014 book, Turn Up The Radio! Rock, Pop, and Roll in Los Angeles 1956-1972,” songwriter Jimmy Webb and engineer/producer Bones Howe commented on “Up, Up and Away.”     
Jimmy Webb: I was a kid out of Oklahoma who headed to Hollywood to become a songwriter. My heroes were Burt Bacharach, Vaughan Williams—ah, The Lark Ascending—and Johnny Mercer. My dad, a hard-down military man who spoke one syllable at a time, gave me forty bucks and wished me luck. Even though the Beatles had turned the music world upside down by writing their own songs, I knew there was still a place for me. They used strings. Buddy Holly used strings. Leiber and Stoller used strings. I wrote those kind of songs.  
I walked in off the street to Motown’s Jobete publishers in Hollywood with a bunch of songs I knew were good. The receptionist laughed — “Honey, you know you’re at Motown, don’t you?” “Yes, ma’am.” She gave my tape to a fella who actually listened to it while I sat in reception. He called me in, and I was suddenly, incomprehensibly, a professional songwriter! They paid me forty-five dollars a song—big money. It was a great education. Even the Supremes covered one of my tunes. Johnny Rivers bought my contract out for $15,000, which he subsequently deducted from my publishing monies. All part of an education. Johnny recognized hits, had great ears, and insisted my release from Motown included “By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” “Up, Up and Away,” and “Didn’t We.”  
“Up, Up and Away” was written to be the theme to a throwaway teen movie, like one of those beach blanket flicks. A movie producer wanted to do something similar, but make it all about balloons . . . only in Hollywood. He asked me to write a little theme tune, and I just went with it. Sometimes a balloon is simply a balloon. I stole the opening from the Association’s “Along Comes Mary,” almost note for note.

Bones Howe: Johnny Rivers asked me if I would be interested in producing the next 5th Dimension album. “Yeah!” But, first thing, I’m to do an album with Jimmy Webb called The Magic Garden. “He wants to do a big orchestra.” “If you’re willing to pay for it, I know what to do. We will go into the big studio at United and record together.” 

“We had complex five-part harmonies. I’m a big believer in using as few microphones as possible for singers. I wanted Marilyn as the lead on the later singles, and Bill was the lead on most of the 5th’s albums. He had some Wilson Pickett in his voice that made him unique.

“Hal Blaine was on everything, and Joe Osborn . . . I discovered Joe doing those Johnny Rivers records with Lou Adler. Mickey Jones was the drummer on the first Rivers sessions, and Joe Osborn. He played the bass the way I thought, as a jazz player, rock ’n’ roll players should play the bass. Joe and Hal, together, really had the lock and the feel. Then Dennis Budimir and Tommy Tedesco—jazz guys on guitar. 

“That’s kind of how I built a rhythm section. A lot of it was conversation. I always started my session in the room. The lead sheets would go out, but I always started with the guys and stood out there with them as they ran the first tune. I hated the disembodied voice that came from the control room to the floor, telling everybody what to do.

“I also had Bob Alcivar, a vocal arranger, on the team. We worked closely together. Bob would sit at the piano with each member and teach them their part—a huge asset. I couldn’t go forward with any song until he figured out what key would be best for each singer.”

Harvey Kubernik

I am not one that buys a lot of new recordings.  I buy a few greatest hits packages, remasters and compilation albums. 

The new Bruce Springsteen covers album, 'Only the Strong Survive,' is very good. 

New vinyl records average about $30.00 and I was worried about buying something that I would put in the back of my Ronco Record Selector and never play again.  The arrangements are very true to the originals and Bruce's voice is very soulful.

This was a good buy for me and I have been listening to it for the last few days.

Phil Nee

I kind of expected to hear quite a bit of after all the publicity and hype but have actually heard very little.  (I’m still trying to find a way to watch the entire 2 ½ interview Springsteen did with Howard Stern!!!) 

But based on your recommendation, I will have to make it a point to sample some tracks.  Thanks, Phil!  (kk)

 

Our FH Buddy Mark Bego (biographer of the rock stars!) has his next subject all lined up.  PR Guru David Salidor tells us that:

Best-Selling Author MARK BEGO to pen a new biography of JOE COCKER, and his book with FREDA PAYNE, Band Of Gold, wins a Top Biography Prize in Paris

Celebrity author Mark Bego has been signed by Yorkshire Publishing to write a new biography on the late Woodstock-singing legend, Joe Cocker. The book, which is underway, will be published in late 2023. Says Bego, “I first saw Joe singing at the site of the famed Woodstock festival in 1994 … and I was riveted by his performance. I am happy to be under contract to tell his fascinating, and often tragic life story in this new biography.”

Furthermore, it was just announced that Bego’s most recent rock-bio release, Band Of Gold, written with Freda Payne (Yorkshire Publishing / 2021), has been honored as one of the two “Best Biographies” of the year in the prestigious 2022 Paris Book Festival. Adds Mark, “Working with Freda Payne on her autobiography was one of the most fun and exciting experiences of my career. I have known the multi-talented Freda for years, and it was a dream come true to work with her. And, part of Freda’s story, fittingly takes place in Paris!”

Timed to capitalize on the forthcoming Whitney Houston film, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, the French language and German language versions of Bego’s best-selling bio on the late singer has been re-released. Whitney Houston: Une Vie Fabuleuse Et Tragique is published by Les Éditeurs Réunis in Quebec, Canada; and Whitney Houston: Die Biografie is published by Hannibal Publishing of Austria. Explains Bego, “I was the first biographer to pen Whitney’s amazing life story, and now I am honored to have the final word on the famed diva’s rise to fame, and fall from grace.”

Within the last two weeks Bego has had six of his separate books on various Amazon best-seller lists, including his biographies on Whitney Houston (Skyhorse Publishing), Aretha Franklin (Skyhorse Publishing), Tina Turner (Cooper Square), and two books he with Mary Wilson of The Supremes: the Number One hit Supreme Glamour (Thames & Hudson) and his Top Ten all-star cookbook Eat Like A Rock Star (Skyhorse Publishing).

Bego’s cookbook also features contributions from Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones, Tanya Tucker, Freda Payne, Micky Dolenz of The Monkees, Martha Reeves, Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi, and dozens more.  With more than 13 million copies of his 67 books in print in over a dozen languages, Bego is also actively collecting new celebrity recipes for a sequel to his best-selling cookbook: fittingly entitled Eat Like a Rock Star II.

Linked for decades to his best-friend Mary Wilson of The Supremes, many of Bego’s most popular books have been either collaborations with, or works created with the involvement of the late Wilson who passed away in February of 2021.

Mark also contributed to the liner notes of the recent and critically acclaimed 2022 CD compilation Mary Wilson: The Motown Anthology (Motown). Explains Bego, “Mary and I had a chart-topping run with Supreme Glamour and Eat Like A Rock Star, and it was wonderful to have her provide the Introduction to Freda Payne’s book as well. Not a day goes by that Mary is not on my mind. I vowed to keep her memory alive, and I intend on doing just that.”

Put me down for a copy of the new Joe Cocker book once you get it finished.  I grew into quite the fan.

 

Like many of us here in The States, I was first exposed to Joe Cocker’s music through his filmed live performance of “With A Little Help From My Friends” at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.  It completely blew me away … and still ranks as one of the very best (if not THE very best) Beatles cover recordings ever.

 

As much as I liked most of Joe’s music, it never even crossed my mind to go see him in concert.  (Yes, I was a fan … but with funds to only attend a few concerts each year, there was always someone more appealing that I elected to see.)

Then, several years ago, The Drive had Cocker perform at one of their radio station birthday parties … and he TOTALLY sucked me in.  GREAT show.  (By then he wasn’t quite as much a “rock star,” recording more and more middle-of-the-road ballad stuff … but still performing it extremely well … not to mention selling LOTS more records with chart-topping tunes like “You Are So Beautiful” and “Up Where We Belong.)

 

Not six months later, we saw him again when he opened for The Guess Who during their late-2001 reunion show … and once again we were completely transfixed.  (How could we have never thought to go see him before??!)

 

A great performer … and a VERY talented artist.  It was very sad to hear when he passed away in 2014. 

 

Looking forward to reading this one, Mark!  (kk)

 

Steppenwolf made their mark on, of course, on Dunhill Records back in the ‘60’s, earning a dozen Hot 100 Hits there between 1968’s “Born To Be Wild” (#2) and 1971’s “For Ladies Only” (#64)

 

In the 1970’s, they went on to spend three years on the Epic Records label … and although they never scored a hit there, a new box set of those complete recordings is now becoming available through Esoterics Records, the same company that put together the “Magic Carpet Ride” 8-CD set a couple of years ago.

 

The new box set will contain the complete contents of the three albums they recorded for the label along with a couple of bonus tracks.

 

More information can be found below … along with an ordering link.  (The new set comes out on January 27th)  kk

 

Steppenwolf “The Epic Years 1974-1976” 3CD Box Set To Be Released January 27, 2023

 


• NEW 3CD CLAMSHELL BOXED SET FEATURING ALL THE RECORDINGS ISSUED BY STEPPENWOLF FOR THE EPIC LABEL BETWEEN 1974 AND 1976.

• FEATURING THEIR THREE ALBUMS PLUS TWO ADDITIONAL BONUS TRACKS. WITH AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET FEATURING AN ESSAY AND INTERVIEWS

Steppenwolf was formed in 1967 in LA by John Kay (vocals, guitar, harmonica), Goldy McJohn (organ, piano) and Jerry Edmonton (drums) who were previously members of the Canadian band The Sparrows. They were joined by Michael Monarch (lead guitar) and Rushton Moreve (bass). The band signed to Dunhill / ABC Records and were propelled to success in 1968 with their classic single “Born To Be Wild” which became even wider known when the track was featured to great effect in the classic 1969 counterculture film Easy Rider.

Over the next four years the band released eight albums and enjoyed huge success. In February 1972 Steppenwolf disbanded, with John Kay recording a solo album, but by ’74 they had emerged once again and over the next three years they would record three further albums for Epic.

Following on from “Magic Carpet Ride,” Esoteric’s acclaimed boxed set of the first era of Steppenwolf’s career, “The Epic Years 1974-1976” gathers together all of these albums, along with two rare bonus tracks. The set also includes an illustrated booklet with a new essay by Steppenwolf aficionado Jim Christopulos.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE – Slow Flux
1 Gang War Blues
2 Children of Night
3 Justice Don’t Be Slow
4 Get into the Wind
5 Jeraboah
6 Straight Shootin’ Woman
7 Smokey Factory Blues
8 Morning Blue
9 A Fool’s Fantasy
10 Fishin’ in the Dark

DISC TWO – Hour Of The Wolf
1 Caroline (Are You Ready for the Outlaw World)
2 Annie, Annie Over
3 Two for the Love of One
4 Just for Tonight
5 Hard Rock Road
6 Someone Told a Lie
7 Another’s Lifetime
8 Mr. Penny Pincher

Bonus tracks:
9 Angeldrawers (B-side of single)
10 Caroline (Are You Ready for the Outlaw World) (Mono promotional single mix)

DISC THREE – Skullduggery
1 Skullduggery
2 (I’m a) Road Runner
3 Rock n’ Roll Song
4 Train of Thought
5 Life is a Gamble
6 Pass it On
7 Sleep
8 Lip Service

To purchase: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/steppenwolf-the-epic-years-1974-1976-3cd-box-set/

Meanwhile, Harvey Kubernik remembers Otis Redding at The Whisky A Go-Go here:

http://ugly-things.com/revisiting-otis-redding-live-at-the-whisky-a-go-go/


A little Christmas spirit from Noise 11:

Status Quo have restored their 2008 HD Christmas song video “It’s Christmas Time.”

The track was first released as part of the compilation box set “Pictures – 40 Years of Hits.” The song was written by Rick Parfitt and Wayne Morris. Rick passed away in 2016. 

Status Quo have had more chart hits than any rock band in the UK.

57 songs reached the Top 40 and 22 reached the top 10. Their only UK Number One was “Down Down” in 1974.

HELPING OUT OUR READERS:

We haven’t done one of these in a while …

But I just so happened to receive to unusual inquiries last week …

So I thought I’d run them by our team of experts out there in oldies land!

(What’s especially cool about these requests is that they’re coming from readers discovering Forgotten Hits for the very first time!  So please help us impress the hell out of ‘em!  Lol)  kk

First, this one from Peter Cooper …

Just bought a cigarette lighter dated 1966 and the logo on it is for the t f club with big dots after both small case letters with an "of Chicago." Anyone heard of the t.f. club? Now I have to know!

Thanks,

Peter

And then this one, all the way from Germany …

I need this B Side musik.

Do you have this and can you send this to me?

Bernd Haake from Germany



After a bit more discussion, we learned ...

 

Hello Kent,

Greetings from Germany!

Thank you for the quick answer.

I need the side I posted … MP3 or WhatsApp is ok.

It’s an US pressing.
I'm the team host for the US Ice Hockey National Team since 1983, whenever they play in Germany.

Bernie Haake

 

Long time FH Reader Tom Diehl (who seems to be able to find just about anything and everything is having difficulty locating this one …

 

I've had no luck, so far ... seems to be only on a 78 and quite rare, at that.

Tom

Anybody else out there want to take a crack this???  (kk)

And Chuck Buell takes us home ...

An Observation from Chuck Buell …

 

Now that People magazine’s Annual “Sexiest Man Alive” issue has been out for a few weeks, it has been brought to my attention --- why does the word “Alive” need to be included? For some kind of clarity?! What confusion could possibly be interpreted?!

 

So, with that thought in mind, I created a series of Collector Edition Covers for People Magazine’s Special “Sexiest Man” Issue, --- “Alive” OR “Not!”

 

For instance, here’s this year’s main cover --- “Sexiest Man Alive!”

 


Then this alternative where being “Alive” is not a requirement, --- “Sexiest Man Dead!”

 


And for both, --- “Sexiest Man Alive OR Dead!”

 


Plus, for any possible scenario where that "If for any reason the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ cannot fulfill his designated duties, the 1st runner shall move up to 1st Place, acting as an alternate, shall then perform the required obligations.”

 

Here then is People Magazine’s Best Kept Secret --- this year’s 2022 Alternate!

   


Be sure to look for these Collectible Covers wherever your favorite magazines are sold!

 

And “Collect All Four!”

 

Now, to salute this Great Annual People Magazine Tradition, here’s my “CB Sexiest Man Minute Medley!” 

 

 

CB ( which stands for “Commemoration Boy!” )