Saturday, November 20, 2010

ON THE RADIO - More Of Your Radio Comments, Ideas And Memories

ON THE RADIO:
Regarding your latest Radio Rave-Out ... Amen, brother, Amen ...
I printed the whole column out so I can read and re-read, when I need to get my bearings.
Might I once again mention my two old-commercial pods? stolfpod.podbean.com and thewholething.podbean.com. If I could also plug my 2 daily blogs ... stolf.wordpress.com is aimed at Baby Boomers mostly ... and people who wish they were. And deepfriedhoodsiecups.wordpress.com is more oriented toward where I grew up, the North Shore, north of Boston, but again I think has stuff of interest to Groovy Geezers and Baby-Go-Boomers from anywhere ... the light dawns on Marblehead ... thanx, kk!
-- stolf

Kudos to Jeff James, now handling mornings over at Y103.9. I just happened to be listening last week when he announced the next song as "going way back for something by The Everly Brothers", leading right into their 1957 #1 Hit "Wake Up Little Susie". As soon as the record started to play, however, it became PAINFULLY obvious that this was NOT the original hit version of the song, but rather a latter-day remake.
As faithful Forgotten Hits Readers already know, this is one of my MAJOR pet peeves ... ESPECIALLY when a radio station purported to be playing oldies doesn't catch mistakes like this ... but Jeff did ... and not only did he catch it, but by the third line of the song, he had already pulled the record off the air!!!
Before I could even call in to register a complaint (and offer a stern scolding), Jeff asked aloud, "Does that sound weird to anybody else but me?"
"I hate that," he continued. "This is why I'd rather play my 45's on the air than trust the computer to play a remake or a re-recording of something. Let's try this one instead" ... and then, without missing a beat, he went right into the CORRECT version of "Cathy's Clown".
How many listeners really would have noticed the first faux pas? In this day and age, when we're constantly being told by consultants and programmers that radio is nothing more than background noise for most listeners ... and far too many people AREN'T paying attention, probably not more than a handful would have recognized the error ... and fewer still would have cared about it. (Yeah I know, we're REAL anal that way!!! lol)
But I've got to give Jeff props for not allowing it to happen. (Hopefully, he's since fixed the computer so that the RIGHT version will play next time!!!) kk

And, speaking of Y103.9, we've received a couple of inquiries about Jim Shea, our radio buddy who Jeff James replaced in the mornings a few months back.

Here is the latest report on behalf of Team Shea:
Hi Kent!
I used to enjoy listening to Jim Shea in the morning on Y103.9.
I first discovered his program through your Forgotten Hits column and know that you appeared on his show a number of times and, from what I understand, were friendly with him off the air, too.
It's been several months now and I just wondered if you had heard any updates about where he may be working these days -- and if so, can we still tune in here in Chicago to listen? (Maybe he's streaming online?)
I always enjoyed Jim's sense of humor and thought he was very entertaining -- pretty much gave you all of the things one would expect on a morning show -- but he also seemed to have a genuine love and appreciation of this music, too, and he often had interesting guests on his program. He also liked to pick up causes, too, like preserving the end credits from the old Andy Griffith Show -- and recruited his listeners to rally around him in support of these quests. If you can supply a new "listen live" link, I'd love to tune in from time to time and give him a listen. And, if you talk to him anytime soon, please let him know that the regular listeners miss him!

Thanks!
Steve
Actually, I've talked to Jim a few times since he was let go from Y103.9 back in August. (Ironically, on my BIRTHDAY of all days!!!)
Unfortunately, for all of his fans out there, he's still off the air as of right now ... but the minute he lands somewhere, you can be sure that we will have ALL of the details here in Forgotten Hits.
(Fact is, it's been a tough time for good radio talent for a while ... SO much of what we hear up and down the radio dial now is pre-programmed, syndicated and voice-tracked, thanks to constant budget cuts and streamlining, that the local and spontaneous feel we came to enjoy on terrestrial radio is all but missing these days. Part of Jim's appeal, I think, was the fact that he could play the role of neighborhood community broadcaster one day and interview The Mayor of Crystal Lake, for example, and then visit with Tommy James the next and talk about his latest book and movie deal, exposing the true music enthusiast inside and handling BOTH of these interviews ... two extremes if there ever were one ... in a professional and entertaining manner. I really believe that Jim could talk to ANYBODY and carry on a "real", down-to-earth conversation.)
There is no question that Jim is a genuine fan of the music and loves playing to an audience and I really believe his dismissal came as a complete and total shock and surprise to him. (Budget cutbacks were cited as the reason at the time.)
I think he may be doing some stand-up comedy appearances in the interim (so you may want to keep on the look out for those) and I've also heard that he may have gone back to school to continue his education ... and while he says he's really not all that anxious to get back on the air, I personally believe he'd be there in a heartbeat if the right offer came along! It's what he does ... and he's good at it!
Regrets? He's got a few ... but then again, too few to mention. Let's face it, radio has ALWAYS been a tough gig ... listen to Phlash Phelps (on XM60's) rattle off all the different cities he's worked in over the years for just a small taste of what seems to be the "norm" in the radio biz. Here in Chicago, with SO many different radio choices, it wasn't at all uncommon for a jock to leave one station and turn up on another one a week later ... but for the most part, those days are gone. (Of course, it's a whole different thing when a jock chooses to make a move in an effort to reach a bigger audience ... but when it's a MANAGEMENT decision ... and no explanations are ever given or spoken about ... you cannot help but feel that you've lost contact with a person who was part of your life and your daily routine. All of a sudden, the guy who'd show up in your bedroom each morning to wake you up ... or who you would later invite into your kitchen, your car or your office every morning ... isn't there anymore ... and, most often, he never even got the chance to say goodbye.)
And that's what I sense bothers Jim Shea the most ... he thinks about all of the "regulars" who used to phone into the program all the time ... fans and friends ... people who you just knew were out there listening and participating never got proper "closure". Maybe Jim didn't know all of their names or their phone numbers or their email addresses ... but they were still part of the "family" that a good radio station develops between the on-air personalities and their listeners. I know that it bothers him that he never got the chance to say goodbye. (Honestly, if given the chance, I think he would have preferred to prepare a "farewell" show ... accept the cutback but have had the opportunity to bring it all to a grand finale and officially say goodbye ... the very "closure" that we spoke about.)
Anyway, I asked Jim if he might like to say a few words to our readers ... and here's what he came up with:
Hi Kent and the amazing host of readers,
Mr. Shea here!

First of all, is it me, or has Forgotten Hits been more amazing than ever of late?
C'mon readers ... give it up for KK!!

I know a lot of people (um like two, I think) are wondering what happened on August 27th at Y103.9 in gorgeous Crystal Lake, IL.
I was called in after the show and told that I was suddenly unaffordable.
Obviously, this was a bit of a jolt, seeing as how I've always prided myself on my affordability. Although I do realize that if we want to continue to compete abroad, we must cut costs. I understand that there are 12 year old Pakistani kids who crank out wonderful oldies morning shows for like 13 cents a day. The only snag is management doesn't like it when they leave the studio smelling like couscous.

I have no regrets or bad things to say at all. I consider my self self self ... the luckiest man man man ... on the face of the earth earth earth ... to ever get paid paid paid paid for screwing off all morning morning morning playing tunes tunes tunes and stealing office supplies plies plies.
And when I say no regrets that is to say that I have, well, one ... and that is the way it ended ... with no goodbyes.
Radio is about the weirdest business ever. Your job is literally to be everybody's best friend, for real ... the kind of best friend that you welcome into your homes and cars, the kind of best friend who brings you great music and celebrities and timely information in the morning ... the kind of best friend who leaves you one day without saying a word ... wait, what? I have no way of getting in touch with so many people I really miss.
Maybe they'll read this and contact me at
sheamistro@hotmail.com ... maybe they already got bored and scrolled down to the item about Dick and Dee Dee, who knows?
Thank you for everything, Kent.
Having grown up in this greatest of all radio towns, you always give props to the great ones like Biondi, Lujack, Landecker, Winston, et al. Seeing my name in Forgotten Hits is almost like being mentioned in the same breath as those guys. I say almost, because generally people say those names, roll their eyes, take a deep breath, and say my name ... come to think of it, it's more like a gasp
Jim
Happy to pass this along, Jim ... hopefully some of your former listeners WILL drop you a line from time to time and stay in touch. (And likewise, you'll let US know when and where we can find you back on the air again!)
As I think you already know, you were the VERY first jock to put me on the radio a few years back when our series exposing the ways and means of The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame infuriated knowledgeable music fans across the USA. Soon jocks all over the country were quoting from our columns and asking me to be a guest on their show ... at one point, I was actually having to take time off from work in order to appear on as many as seven different radio shows in the same day! But YOU were the first!
(That's right, folks, Jim Shea popped my radio cherry ... which, of course, is the bumper sticker that we BOTH proudly display on our vehicles to this very day! lol)
All kidding aside, that Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Series kicked Forgotten Hits up a few pegs ... (hell, it damn near made us famous! lol) ... and, timing being everything (as it so often is), right before the series ended we were able to announce both the launching of John Rook's brand new Hit Parade Hall Of Fame and then the RIDICULOUS scandal exposed by Roger Friedman of Fox News regarding The Dave Clark Five being removed from the ballot in favor of a RAP act (when Jann Wenner decided it was time to recognize Rap Music as a form of rock and roll).
So thank you, Jim, for your on-going help and your support ... and for inviting me back to your program so many times after that to discuss FAR less interesting topics!!! (lol)
I really do appreciate it!
kk


TONIGHT:
Hi folks, this is Hoss!
The second half of my interview with Joyce Conroy on
www.whfc911.org is going to be aired this evening, Saturday November 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm PST on The Block Party. (The program starts at 6:00 pm)
I will be back to share more funny and heartwarming stories when I was road manager for Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Blues Magoos and Herman's Hermits. Something strange was happening at the Blues Magoos concerts that I will enlighten you on.

It’s a rock and roll gathering of friends on “The Block Party” 91.1 FM (WHFC) and www.whfc911.org.ss will enlighten you.
You will enjoy it. Send me an email if you liked it.
Thanks,
Hoss
And from
Joyce Conroy91.1 FM WHFC:
Dear friends, this weekend on "The Block Party" I will be chatting with Mark Amans aka "Hoss". Hoss was the former road manager for Paul Revere and the Raiders. He has a new book coming out. So many funny stories he will share. It is a rock and roll gathering of friends.
The Block Party, Joyce Conroy spins "the platters that matter" from the 1950s, 60s and 70s.
Go to:
www.whfc911.org

re: OTHER STUFF:
So many claim a large listening audience / response, but I sit patiently and watch them disappear from the "airwaves". Ex: R&B show at WIFI (local) - I sample, hear a bunch of obscurities; call in and suggest a familiar song occasionally; two weeks later - off the air. I observe Bob Mathers (a seasoned DJ) try his hand at internet radio and actual radio stations, (2) so far, playing this past music, even one radio station owned by Pat Sajak, and it seems it never goes well for him. I listen to WRDV and, while they claim Big Band music saved them, they, too, have to constantly change the shows, even "new wave" music, Saturday nights. I listen to Zoomer Radio out of Toronto, Canada, 740kHz, AM, and even they have to constantly change formats. Anyone can play this past music, but keeping it interesting enough, takes a lot of forethought. We have to face facts: With Every Mother's Son on the internet and college / university radio playing these "oldies", in the form of TV themes, stereo, obscurities, etc., people soon got tired of them. Look at the internet for chat forums = dead. I don't see anyone offering me a radio show, even though I could compile a more interesting one than most! :-)
Meanwhile, I get e-mails for financial support for these "oldies" radio shows, yet they claim tons of listeners / callers. All this together proves that this past music, while fine material, died a slow death years ago. Even I find it (radio) boring, because I never learn anything new. My personal radio heroes were Bob Pantano (WOGL), since he'd play a lot of familiar material that I totally forgot about, including Philly hits, and Dick Bartley, for his Westwood One syndicated shows, decades ago.
Jersey John

Hi Kent,

I'm in a tribute band in Minnesota. We do different theme based shows every couple months. Our current is a Blues tribute show.
Well, I'm stuck in a hotel for this week and next so what am I doing during the day?
I've been taking the time to visit some of the sites you share links to in the newsletters. I can't recommend the Ronnie Allen interviews shows highly enough. If folks haven't checked them out they really should. Lots of great information for us rock and roll-infomaniacs. Thanks, Ronnie, and keep up the great work.Makes me wanna live through the 50's 60's and 70's all over again!
Oh yeah, BTW, I am not looking for publicity but thought I'd share our web site link with you just in case you have a minute.
www.fabulousarmadillos.com
I believe there are some music links you can listen to.

Bill
Yep, Ronnie's a pro ... and FH Readers have been checking out his interviews for YEARS now ... always a fun time! Thanks, Bill! (kk)
Click here: Ronnie's Radio Page

Last month we told you about the latest Hz So Good Poll ... this time around, they're letting you help pick The Top 100 Radio Stations Ever! (Here's a little reminder from a few issues back):
From the folks who gave you the JOCK 100, The Crass 100 and the now-annual I.R.S. Top 104 ... Hz So Good ... comes THE STATIONary 100, ranking your picks of the best radio stations (or music delivery services, to be all-inclusive) ever.
If you haven't voted already, send Hz as long a list as you'd like of stations, along with the years when each was at its best. Yes, that means that if any station was great in more than one era, you can vote for it more than just once. Oh, and feel free to tell why each station was so great, while you're at it.
Voting closes November 10th, just before the next Hz So Good comes out, featuring part 1 of THE STATIONary 100, #s 100-51.
Thanks for your help!

Rich Appel
HzSoGood

As you can see, the polls for this one have already closed ... but, before they did, Forgotten Hits Reader Clark Besch sent us along a copy of HIS favorites. (You can view the final results ... well, the first HALF of the final results ... here:
Click here: HZ SO GOOD, November-December 2010
Meanwhile, here are a few of Clark's Favorites:
Here are my votes for the attached poll. This is an election worth voting on! Wanna turn your in and see what shows up? If so, vote to
jjrappel@verizon.net
My fave station eras ...

1. WLS 1964-68 My personal formative listening years when I would literally run home from school in the winter in Dodge City, KS, to DX the Silver Dollar Survey and see how early I could pull the Big 89 in. It was a time of Beatles Exclusives, the British Billboard countdowns, great PAMS jingle packages, Super Summer 67, great local bands featured, ABC on air strikes, the Riley - Weber feud, Larry Lujack comes on board; for the also great Dex Card, Art Roberts takes over the late evening shift from Biondi and SO much more! From no competition to battling to stay number one!
2. WCFL 1965-68 The gradual switch to Top 40 and the incredible battle with WLS led by Ken Draper. Another great set of jingles that brought us the Sunset promotion. The Kingbee Ron Britain, Barney Pip, Chickenman, Officer 36-24-36, The Cheetah remotes, Capsule Countdowns, Mini-Spins!
3. WKYC 1965-68 Switching call letters from KYW, Ken Draper would steal much of the KYW talent away eventually for WCFL above, but this era of WKYC saw Jerry G Bishop, Big Jack Armstrong, Jim LaBarbara, Chuck Dann, Fred Winston, Chuck Dunaway and those Sound 11 Countdowns made this magic. Power radio jingles!!
4. WLS 1969-72 With the battle to stay #1 vs. CFL, WLS went for some youth and in came Chuck Buell, Jerry Kaye, Kris Eric Stevens, Steve King as well as Fred Winston, Lujack and the great John "Records" Landecker. The Cheap Trashy Show Biz Report, America Panorama, Boogie Check, the Rock of Chicago Jingles.
5. KOMA 1960-1968 Getting the chance to actually VISIT a station I loved twice (1963 and 1965) adds to this #5 rating. Growing up hearing "As we go border to border and coast to coast" as well as DJs like Dale Wehba, Charlie Tuna, John Ravenscroft (aka John Peel of UK), Bobby Davis, and so many other great jocks made it a special station--as well as the battle for OKC with WKY.
6. WCFL 1972-76 Super CFL begins with Larry "Superjock" Lujack returning to CFL and bringing renewed life to the station until its' 1976 demise. Bringing in Dr. Brock, Dick & Doug, Big Ron O'Brien, the "Klunk Letter of the Day" and those great Super CFL jingles made it a great era.
7. KHJ 1965-68 Bill Drake and Boss Radio! Need I say more. How it changed radio -- eventually for the worse. But at the time, it was a pretty cool format to hear so much music in an hour. Throw in the jingles, the Real Don Steele, Dave Diamond, Humble Harv, Gary Mack and the Monkees and the LA scene and what a great station you have!
8. WABC 1964-68 The Beatles coming to America. Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Charlie Greer, Chuck Leonard, Bob-a-Loo, Roby Young, Scott Muni and more. The contests, the blackout, Fun Vibration jingles and more!
9. KEYN-FM 1969-71 This was my introduction to great FM top 40 meets underground. Alan McKay, Old Weird Dave Biondi, and the great PAMS "From the air capital City" jingles made it magic.
10. KLMS 1959-72 Lee Thomas worked his butt off at this station to help make it a great listen in a minor market. Lincoln never had better and prbably never will. J Marshall Stewart, Chris Abercrombie, Citizen Bill and others made it hop.
11. WLS 1982-87 Going til Talk radio 89 in 1987, this era gave us the 1985 reunion, Fred Winston, Golf Tour Commisioner Larry Lujack, Animal Stories, Steve & Gary, the year end Rock Montage, Landecker's return, the Bears and Jim McMahon on the air and lots of other great times.
12. WCFL 68-72 Lew Witz lost the Ken Draper momentum, but CFL was still fun even with the revolving door of WLS jocks joining (Riley, Clark Weber, Dex Card, Jerry Kaye, Art Roberts, Dick Biondi, Kris Erik Stevens) and leaving while some CFL jocks stayed on from the Draper era.
13. KAAY 1965-74 This station was a blowtorch from the southland that played great music. "The Big K" with Beeker Street, their Top 5 at 5 requests were great to catch.
14. KYW 1964-65 Leading up to the switch to WKYC, this station featured many of the jocks that would turn up at WCFL a year later. Jim Stagg, Jim Runyon and many more during the Beatles era. Jerry G playing his guitar and singing on the air.
15. WOR-FM 66-68 The FM station that dared take on the AM heavy weights and help to pave the way for FM takeovers. Featuring a huge playlist and that mix of Top 40 and great obscurities, as well as adding genuine AM stars like Murray the K and Rosko made it an east coast break through station.
16. KIMN 1964-72 Just a great, but weak signaled, station that was the best place to break songs in the midwest.
17. KOIL 1959-72 They came in to take Top 40 originator KOWH out and that they did. KOIL became a training ground for great voices like Gary Owens, Fred Winston, Lyle Dean, Dave Diamond, Johnny Dark, Joe Light, Roger W Morgan, Bill Young, the Real Don Steele, Dr. Don Rose as well as KOWH transfer and close friend, Sandy Jackson.
18. WLS 1960-63 Should be higher, but I did not get in on much of this era originally. The Dick Biondi era, Mort Crowley, Gene Taylor, Bob Hale, Sam Holman, Clark Weber all paving the way for the greatest station ever, IMO.
19. KLEO 1966-69 Wichita had one truly great Top 40 station in this era. KLEO with Don B Williams and more playing the hits of the day for us Kansans.
20. KIOA 1964-73 Des Moines had a great outlet that still plays the great songs of the era today. Dick Youngs led the way right into the 2000's.
21. CKLW 1964-69
22. WKY 1959-69
23. WBZ 1965-68
24. WHB 1964-72
25. WLS 1973-82
26. WSAI 1960-69
Also in no order: KOMA 87-92 (Return to Top 40 oldies), XERB 1966-67, KFRC 1966-70, KTKT 1966-8, WMEX 1964-67, XEROK 1979-80, WQAM 1966-68, KLIF 1965-67, WHAS 1990's (Joe donovan show), WOW 1971-73, WAVZ 1965-70, KFRC 1966-68, KIXZ 1965, KAFY 1967-8, KDAY 1973, KELO 1966-7, KJR 1964-68, KGOR-FM 1970-80, KILT 1967-68, KOWH 1954-59, KSHE-FM 1968
Clark Besch

Wow ... that's quite a list!!! I don't know that I listened to 20 different stations back then!!! (lol) For me, growing up here in Chicago, WLS and WCFL were pretty much my whole world back in the '60's and '70's (until FM came along and blew away the AM market.) Before that, I constantly switched back and forth between these two Top 40 AM Giants, trying to find my favorite songs. (kk)

re: AIRPLAY:

And, if you're into vintage Top 40 Radio, here's something you'll want to check out!
For the past couple of years we've been telling you about a GREAT documentary on radio called "Airplay". (In fact, we've even given away tickets to special screenings of the film.)
Producer Caroyln Travis tells me that a deal has finally been struck with PBS, who'll begin airing the program in February of next year. (It'll be broadcast in an edited format to allow for pledge solicitation ... but then offered to PBS Subscribers as an "expanded", full-length DVD version when you pledge a certain limit.)
We've been singing the praises of this one for a while now, so if you're into the glory days of Top 40 Radio, you'll definitely want to check it out. Please contact your local PBS affiliate and ask them when they'll be broadcasting "Airplay" in your area.
Hi Kent,
Did I tell you that "Airplay" is going to be a PBS pledge show, starting the last week in February? We don't have any news on markets and dates ... it's being syndicated by our sponsoring station, Maryland Public Television, so each individual PBS station decides whether to pick it up, so if you or any of your readers have any friends or contacts at their local PBS station and would like to put in a good word for us, it would really be appreciated.
We're also working on a companion website. It's not ready to show anyone yet as we're still working on clearing music rights and adding material, but as soon as we get things organized, we'll be sure to let you know.
One of the things we've been working on is the "Welcome to the Deejay Lounge" page. You'll see that we have some deejays and airchecks ... we're trying to represent as many deejays and markets as possible. When we were doing the various film festivals, people would always ask us in every city we visited why their favorite deejay wasn't interviewed for the documentary. Of course, this would have been impossible, but we learned that these are very devoted fans ... in some cases, the fact that their favorite jock was deceased wasn't a good enough reason for their exclusion from the film! :-)
I don't know how many radio personalities you have on your list, but if anyone would like to share an aircheck and photo (taken when they were on the air) we'd be happy to try and include it in our Deejay Lounge once the website is up and running.
We're also playing around with the idea of a "Record Your Own Show" page ... I'm trying to work something out with PAMS that would allow me to use some of their jingles.
As far as actual airdates for "Airplay" goes (and in which cities it will air), I should start getting more specific information on sometime in December, and I promise to share it with you as soon as we know.
Thanks again for all your help. And thanks for being such an endless source of new and interesting information.
Carolyn

CALLING ALL DEEJAYS!!!: If you were on the air during the Rock And Roll Radio Era and would like to be included in the new "Airplay" DeeJay Lounge, please drop us a line and let us know. Ideally, we're looking for airchecks and vintage photos of your time on the air at this time. Lots of other ideas are being kicked around, too, so pass this around to some of your radio cohorts from back in the day and let's see how cool we can make this site! We'd love to get representatives from ALL the great Top 40 Stations of the '50's, '60's, '70's and '80's, so please help us to spread the word. I'm sure memorabilia pages, old radio station surveys, deejay memoirs are ALL part of our future so please let us know if you're interested in participating! (kk)

re: THE DEADLINE DASH!:

>>>Colorado Disc Jockey Mason Ramsey has been pushing (and featuring) his "Music Of The Ages" format for years now on rockandrollheaven.net ... you're likely to hear songs from the '40's, '50's, '60's, '70's, '80's, '90's and today played side-by-side on a regular basis ... with NO excuses or explanations ... simply because the music FITS and feels right. A good song is a good song ... but radio has gone out of its way to segregate each and every format and then completely SATURATE their audience by playing the same 200 or 300 songs over and over and over and over again ad nauseam ... to the point that we now turn off some of our all-time favorite songs because we're simply sick of hearing them. Variety is COMPLETELY missing on today's radio dial ... far too often, even teasers like "you'll never know WHAT we're going to play next" simply means "the same frickin' song we played about four hours ago"!!! Sorry to get up on my soap box again but if I ever DO win the lottery and end up with an extra $50 Million in "carrying cash", the very first thing I'm going to do is take Mason's format, refine it and then launch it nationwide ... and prove once and for all that ALL of this music makes up the soundtrack of our lives ... because we've all been exposed to ... and lived through ... ALL of it. Doesn't matter if WE bought it ... or our parents bought it ... or our kids are buying it now ... it is PART of us ... and I find it downright INSULTING that day after day radio continues to tell us what THEY think we REALLY want to hear rather than face this reality. (kk)
Hi Kent,

I've been following Mason at rockandrollheaven.net since the beginning.
You got it right about his format and I love the way he works in music from such a variety of eras and genres. Why not! It could be a movie theme from the 50s, Patti Page, or one of my mom's big band favorites one minute then, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash or even Taylor Swift the next! You never know what you're going to hear next on rockandrollheaven.net!
I agree with all you say about today's radio! It's great to see someone else get up on the soapbox! If Mason doesn't get there first, I hope you DO win the Lottery and look forward to something new and "real" in radio!
Thanks for Forgotten Hits, Kent. Keep the words about music coming!

Dana

re: AND SOME TURKEY TALK:
Hi Everybody:
Normally I'm here to tell you about what's happening each Friday night on "The Pop Shoppe". But this week I'm sending you a VERY SPECIAL NOTE regarding next Wednesday Evening!!!!!
Ramtown Mike has put together a pre-Thanksgiving Special with four Dee jays.
Starting at 8 PM, it will be Stereo Tom followed by Soxx. Then Ramtown Mike. Starting at Midnight I'll pick things up and keep you going till 3:01 AM.
www.topshelfoldies.org
And, if you haven't checked out my website, it's never too late to see my pictures / my links / or hear past interviews. Just go to:
www.ramtownlive.com/popshoppe
Hoping many of you can join us this Wednesday night ... and, as always I'm looking forward to seeing you all every Friday night when I will be playing The Greatest Songs That Ever Lived!!!!! So be here or be square!!!!
Sincerest wishes,
Stuart Weiss / DJ STU

Need some help from the FH readers.
Each week I contribute a half hour music show to a friend's local internet blog. Each show typically has about 5-7 songs that revolve around a given topic, usually something current. The Thanksgiving show will have songs about thank you. I try to include songs that are never heard on the radio, such as Thanks A lot, by Brenda Lee.
Anyways the request I have is for FH readers to suggest topics and / or songs to go with it. Even comedy bits. The format can be rock, country, MOR, blues ... hey, if a polka song fit in, I'd play it. The more zanier ideas the better.
I can be reached at:
rockandrollneverforgets@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Jack
Of course, MY Thanksgiving Favorite has always been "Alice's Restaurant" ... we even got Y103.9 to play that one four times a few Thanksgivings ago! (lol) Lots of songs with "thanks" in the title ... a few that immediately come to mind (some a bit more obscure than others) would be "Be Thankful For What You Got" by William DeVaughn, "I Thank You" by either Sam and Dave or ZZ Top (depending on your audience mix), "Thank You For Being A Friend" by Andrew Gold, "Thank You Girl" by the tulu-baby Beatles, ... or my PERSONAL favorite, "Thank You And Good Night" by The Angels (which would also make a GREAT way to close the show!) You could go a bit further out there and feature "Thank U Very Much" by Scaffold (featuring Paul McCartney's brother, Mike McGear) or even "Thanks For The Memories", the Bob Hope theme song. Then again, we have ALL Thank(ed) The Lord For The Night-Time from time to time, haven't we? (John Denver even Thank(ed) God (He Was) A Country Boy! Or just slip in something "sly" like "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin"!!!) I'm sure our readers can probably come up with DOZENS more ... but you'll need to get them to Jack QUICK so he can include a few of these ideas on his show. Just email him directly at the address above. (And Jack, let us know which ones you decided to go with!) Thanks! (kk)