Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Sunday Comments ( 08 - 07 - 11 )

re:  GENE McDANIEL:
>>>Man, I loved Gene McDaniels!  I have his Greatest Hits CD and can't listen to it enough.   
(Wild Bill Cody)

One of the first CDs I ever bought!!!! His singing ability was a cut above the rest!!!! RIP, Gene!
Jersey John



re:  AMY WINEHOUSE:
Thought if you hadn't already seen this that you and the other forgotten hits readers might be interested.
Tony Bennett:  I Hoped To Save Amy Winehouse
Tony has been VERY vocal about Amy's passing.  (The two had recently recorded a new duet together for Tony's upcoming album.)  Honestly, I can't imagine that anyone was really shocked by the news announcement of Amy's death ... seemed to me that this was only a matter of time.  (All the stuff going around about "The 27 Club" ... music artists who died at the age of 27 ... and Grammy-winning "Best New Artists" who died before their time ... have done their best to overshadow the real circumstances of a life that seemed doomed to end early ... she just couldn't seem to pull herself out of the drugs that controlled her life.)
I have to say, however, that I was VERY impressed by the statement released by comedian Russell Brand ... often dismissed as just another "airhead comic", Brand really hit home when he said:  
"When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction, you await the phone call.  There will be a phone call.  The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you that they've had enough, that they're ready to stop, ready to try something new.  Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it's too late, she's gone ... we have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease."
Brand, of course, is married to pop sensation Katy Perry ... who we ALSO have to congratulate this week.  Her latest single, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" just topped Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Chart ... the FIFTH song from her "Teenage Dream" LP to do so ... tying her with Michael Jackson as the only other artist (and first female artist) to hit the #1 Spot with five songs from the same LP!!!  It's pure, infectious (albeit "naughty") pop ... and we love it.  Perry has certainly nailed the sound of today's music ... and is fun to watch.  Although she and Russell are rarely taken seriously, I have to admit a newfound respect for BOTH of these artists based on the information shared above.  (kk)



re:  GIORGIO:
>>>I don't know if you remember it or if it even charted in Chicago, but in 1969 on Atco Records Giorgio had a song called LOOKY LOOKY which got considerable airplay here in OKC.

Always did like it.  (Larry Neal)
>>>Joel Whitburn's new book shows "Looky Looky" as a break-out hit in Seattle ... but I don't really recall it doing much here.  (kk)
>>>One of my favorites.  (Tom Diehl)
"Looky Looky" was a number ONE record on KLEO Wichita in 1970, too!  His other Atco single, "Stop", was a great psychedelic slice, too, that was actually a remake of a London 45 he made of same song, but not at all psychedelic.  Lots of ideas, I guess??
Clark Besch
Another chart puzzlement, I guess ... "Looky Looky" hits #1 in TWO big cities ... Seattle and Wichita ... but STILL doesn't make Billboard's Top 100???  Strange!  (kk)

Hi, Kent,
“Son of My Father” actually started out as a B-side.  The A-side in Europe was "I'm Free Now" in some countries and in others, “Underdog,” which became the flip in the US.  “Underdog” did reasonably well in some European countries, including Germany.  And some Swedish listeners heard it, too, as it was no doubt the inspiration for ABBA’s “Ring Ring.”  
“Son” was indeed played in OKC; I used to call KOMA to request it.  We carried it in the record store in OKC where I worked at the time, and sold a few copies.  I'm not sure how my friend Larry Neal missed hearing it, but it was only on the air for a short time.  Larry is correct that “Looky Looky” was played a lot more in OKC.  (The follow-up, “Moody Trudy,” also on Atco, was ignored.)  
After “Son” charted as a 45, Dunhill issued an LP titled after the single. using as its cover a picture used for an earlier 45 pic sleeve in Europe showing Giorgio with a dog on a leash.  Yep, it was used for a single with “Underdog” as the A-side.  But for some reason, which I’ve never understood, Dunhill did not issue any 45 to follow up “Son.”  

Giorgio was writing at the time with Pete Bellotte.  After Chicory Tip took their version of the Moroder - Bellotte “Son of My Father” to #1 in England, the writing team also gave them “What’s Your Name” and “Good Grief Christina” (both UK top 20 hits), as well as “Cigarettes, Women and Wine” (which, like Chicory Tip’s version of “Son,” was issued in the US on Epic).
Still writing primarily with Bellotte, Giorgio continued to release singles in the same techno-pop mode, but most received little attention outside Germany and none of them was issued in the US.  (Oddly, one Moroder - Bellotte song, "Born To Die," was issued in the US on London in 1974 as "Giorgio with Common Cause," but does not appear to have been released elsewhere.)  Giorgio's last such release, “Marrakesh,” in 1974, was issued in Germany only in 1974 and was even sung in German.  A year or so later, he would re-think how to incorporate electronic sounds into pop music, and the result was Donna Summer’s “Love to Love You Baby.”
Michael


re:  ALBERT HAMMOND:
>>>Albert Hammond is another artist who has been reduced to One Hit Wonder status, thanks to his #2 Smash "It Never Rains In Southern California" ... but Albert just missed the Cash Box Top 40 with "The Free Electric Band" (#41, 1973) ... and reached #31 on BOTH national charts with "I'm A Train" in 1974.  (I always liked his version of "99 Miles From L.A.", too!)  kk

I have an old K-Tel (can we say that word here?) LP to thank (?) for introducing me to "Down By The River" by Albert Hammond. It wasn't a hit by any means (#91, ouch) but I always liked it a bit more than It Never Rains In Southern California.
Tom Diehl
This one, too, fared a slightly better fate in Cash Box than it did in Billboard, peaking at #64 as Albert's first chart hit in 1972.  Here's a guy deserving of some sort of Greatest Hits Package ... not only did he have quite a few hits on his own but he also wrote quite a few hits for other artists as well.  Somebody ought to put together a 2-CD Set ... one disk of Albert doing his nine Billboard chart hits (and maybe a few demos) ... and another disk of songs he's written that were made into hits by other artists. 
Joel Whitburn's latest book says Hammond wrote NINE Top Ten Pop Hits ... yet only had one Top Ten Record of his own, "It Never Rains In Southern California".  Amongst his biggest "covers" are "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by (Jefferson) Starship, "When I Need You" by Leo Sayer and "The Air That I Breathe" by The Hollies!  Hammond also had a hand in writing great pop hits like "Little Arrows" by Leapy Lee, "Gimme Dat Ding" by The Pipkins, "I Need To Be In Love" by The Carpenters, "To All The Girls I've Loved Before" by Julio Iglesias, "Don't Turn Around" by Ace of Base and "I Don't Want To Live Without Your Love" by Chicago ... a pretty impressive hit streak if I do say so myself.  Music fans certainly deserve a 2-CD Greatest Hits Set worthy of this man's talent.  (Come on, we've got some reissue label movers and shakers on the list ... what do you think?!?!?)  kk
Be sure to check out Albert's awesome website ... what a career this guy has had!

Almost every song I have known by Albert Hammond has had appeal to me.  My faves "Air Disaster", "Free Electric Band", "99 Miles From LA", "Half a Million Miles From Home", "Down by the River" and the big hit are all huge faves.
Clark Besch

re:  THE BYRDS:
Here's MY weekly Byrds recommendation FOR Wild Bill Cody from my Nebraska past of 1975 when I was at UNL and concerts were big in our Daily Nebraskan newspaper.  (lol)
Clark Besch



re:  THE WLS CHART:
(click photos to enlarge)

>>>Here's a copy of the WLS survey from 1/15/65 with Tony Hatch's productions at #1 and #2.   
(Clark Besch)

Thanks, Kent. Very interesting. No. Better than that. Amazing!
Regards,
TONY

Kent,
The other day you featured Ned Miller's 1965 song DO WHAT YOU DO DO WELL. I noticed in today's comments with the posting of the WLS survey from early 1965, song number 26 was that of Ned Miller, except they left out the second DO or maybe it was the first DO.
Would you believe I just thought of another record as I type this. Who was it, 'Jumpin'Gene Simmons who had a followup to HAUNTED HOUSE called THE DODO?
Larry
WLS regularly misspelled song titles on their survey. (For it's entire chart run The Beatles' "All You Need Is Love" was listed as "You Need Love" ... for that matter, on that same survey you mentioned, they misspelled Beatles as "Beatle's"!!!)  Very frustrating for me ... but nothing I can do to change it now!!! (lol)  kk

Quite a few tracks we've featured recently pop on this survey.  Besides "Downtown", "Love Potion Number Nine" and "Do What You Do Do Well", you'll also find "The Name Game" by Shirley Ellis (recently featured in our "Blame Game" series) and "Keep Searchin'" by Del Shannon, a recent spotlight track in our "Today's Forgotten Hit" feature!  (kk)

Kent -
I snuck a peek at that WLS Hit Parade from 1/65.  Delighted to see Bobby Skel's "Kiss and Run" made it at least as high as #12 in Chicago, but not too surprised.  I probably heard it back then and loved it and didn't have a clue what it was.  It's one of my favorites -- and a true Orbison sound-alike.  A very Chicago-y kind of tune.
Blub
"Kiss And Run" ultimately peaked at #6 on the WLS Chart ... but never even so much as "bubbled under" nationally.  Honestly, I don't know that it's all that memorable a tune.  
It's amazing how much our "Chicago Sound" would change over the next 18 months.  By the end of 1965, Chicago's New Colony Six would be the first rock band to burst on the local charts with "I Confess" ... by mid-1966, they would be joined by The Cryan' Shames, The Ides Of March, The Shadows Of Knight and The Buckinghams.  WLS (and WCFL) were SUPER supportive of our local heroes and often fought each other to see who could play their latest releases first.  I've said it before and I'll say it again ... and we the listeners couldn't have been more pleased ... NOT because our hometown talent was being given preferential treatment ... but because this music sounded JUST as "at home" as any OTHER song on the charts during this era.  We were very fortunate to grow up at such a musically exciting time here!  (kk)





  


re:  CONCERTS:
Another comment on the Mickey Dolenz concert in beautiful Elk Grove Village ... THE AUDIO SUCKED!!!  His voice was muddy and boomy. I could not understand him. It was a good thing I knew most of the words, but not to Randy Scouse Git.
The next night we saw The Neverly Brothers. The band was great and the audio was some of the best I've heard all summer. I even complimented the sound guy. If you've never seen the Neverly Brothers I would highly recommend them. They play hits from the early rock and roll era to the British Invasion with a little story about the songs and groups who performed them. Quite an entertaining evening. I especially like the drummer on his two piece drum set and his style of playing. They are pretty much a local Chicago band. They also played a bit of Hendrix.
Keep up the great work on Forgotten Hits. I personally know how much effort goes into the project since every time we meet at a concert you say "we'll I've gotta go because I have an article to write".
Bill
LOL ... this is true ... but we DID stick around for most of Micky's show.  You're right ... the sound was pretty horrendous ... I sat toward the back and the echo bouncing off between the buildings made some of it unlistenable ... everything he said was coming back two or three times. Not so bad if it was a song 'cause like you said, you knew the music and could follow along.  I've probably seen Micky 40 times now ... and this was one of the more lackluster shows I've seen.  (But, as I said, coming down to do a solo show in a parking lot after touring the world with The Monkees 45th Reunion Tour must be quite an adjustment, too!)  I was amazed by the audience mix ... truly people of all ages ... and singing along with every word!!!  Shows you just how many generations The Monkees' music has crossed over these past 45 years.  (Nah, THEY don't belong in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ... what did THESE guys ever do that lasted?!?!?)  kk

I hope they get the Cowsills video on the market. I heard a concert from a July show and I was surprised. It seemed a bit rough around the edges, but there were quite a few moments where the harmonies sounded very very good. I believe that Susan has done some solo recordings. I remember their live album from when I was a kid had a live version of Good Vibrations that the Beach Boys couldn't have topped at the time - -and I'm the biggest BB fan I know. <grin>
Hey, I even bought the Love You album.
Bill


Around 2:00 am EST (my car DX'ing time), Saturday (08/06) morning, on a distant, what appeared to be a AM radio Talk show, I heard "Hair" by The Cowsills. Yeah, but they were performing it live!! Seems only two members present with an acoustic guitar. Afterward, who walks in the studio, but "Herman's Hermit" Peter Noone and chats with the male host!
Seen something on TV about The Cowsills, too. I gather they are touring.
If you know what station I was listening to, yell!
Jersey John
Scroll back to Monday to read Tom Cuddy's review of The Cowsills Concert at B.B. King's in Times Square.
Also on Monday, you'll find MY review of the Brian Wilson Concert held last weekend at The Arcada Theatre in St. Charles, IL ... outstanding!!!  (kk)
 
Today is August 1st, 2011, and one year ago we were celebrating the final day of the first-ever ROCK CON.
The event was a beloved event by fans and artists alike, and we have been swamped with letters, calls and emails asking about ROCK CON: Weekend of 101 ROCK STARS. We wish we could tell you that there's another one coming in 2011, but we weren't able to secure the location or line up the sponsorships we were seeking to pull it off this year.
We are pursuing all the elements needed to present the show again in 2012, with new guests, concerts and attractions. We continue to welcome guest suggestions and sponsor recommendations. We are always receptive to comments and suggestions, and we will keep you informed of our progress.
Thank you for your support.
ROCK ON!
Charles Rosenay
Producers,
Hi to my Florida friends and fans -- and friends and fans who may be passing through Florida in early September.  Just a note to let you know I'll be playing the LUNA STAR CAFE in North Miami on Friday Sept. 2nd.
Here are the specifics:
September 2, 2011
Friday, 8 pm

Luna Star Cafe
775 NE 125th St
N Miami, FL
305-799-7123
lunastarcafe@aol.com
Luna Star Cafe Come hear me.
Yers,
Bob Lind
www.boblind.com


Johnny Rivers and John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band will be performing at a free Rock Festival in Margate, NJ, (next to Atlantic City) on August 21st at 6:30 pm.  I am so excited to see Johnny -- something I have been waiting to do since the 60s! Now I just gotta win some VIP tix on the radio!
Eileen
Now this is a show that I would LOVE to see!!!  What a killer line-up ... please report back to us!  (kk)

I wanted to tell you about an event I am helping organize that will benefit music education in Chicago as well as helping teens battling cancer.
The Terry Kath Tribute II Event & Fundraiser will be on September 15 at the Copernicus Center in Chicago.  It will celebrate the music of Kath - guitarist, vocalist, 2-time Grammy winner, and co-founder of Chicago - and will feature performances by Danny Seraphine - original drummer & co-founder of Chicago; The Buckinghams; Kenny Cetera - percussionist, vocalist and younger brother of Peter Cetera; James Guercio - musician, Chicago's long time producer & owner of Caribou Ranch Recording Studio, The Emerald Underground which is a midwest Irish Celtic band with Joe Kath, Jr on fiddle (Terry's cousin).
Proceeds will benefit the Terry Kath Music Scholarship at DePaul, the Taft
HS music department (Terry's alma mater) and the McAvoy Foundation's "Good
Looks for Kids with Cancer" which provides adolescents battling cancer with items not covered by insurance such as wigs, glasses, and dental work.
Tickets are on sale and range from $29.  They are available through the event website:  www.terrykathtributeconcert.com.  Our facebook page is:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Terry-Kath-Tribute-II-Event-Fundraiser/195454927152355.
Terry Kath was rock the lead guitarist, vocalist, composer, and co-founder of rock band Chicago.  He was a member from 1967 until his untimely death in 1978.  He appeared on eleven of their first albums, all of which earned at least gold certification.  Jim Hendrix was impressed by Kath's amazing guitar skills that gave the rock edge to hits such as "25 or 6 to 4," and "Feeling Stronger Everyday."  His soulful voice graced hits "Make Me Smile," "Colour My World," and "Wishing You Were Here."
Deborah Gray
Event Coordinator
www.terrykathtributeconcert.com
Sounds like a very worthwhile event, Deborah ... happy to share this news with all the Chicago fans on our list. (We're going to see Chicago later this month at Ravinia ... a GREAT place to see a concert!  In fact, the very first concert I EVER saw at Ravinia was Chicago ... WAY back in 1971!!!)  kk

 
We went to the Paul McCartney concert in CoMerica Park in Detroit and his show was spectacular to say the least. He visited Motown Museum that day and called it the Holy Grail. The Beatles were big Motown fans.
Carrie
I talked to a few people who saw the show at Wrigley Field ... said it was SO hot it was hard to enjoy ... but the music was spectacular.  (Imagine sitting up close to the on-stage fireworks in THAT kind of heat!!!  Poor Paul had to be dyin' up there ... he's 69!!!)  kk

In fact, here's a review from the August 1st Wrigley Field Show now!!!

Paul McCartney Show, 8-1-11
I was thrilled to hear that Paul McCartney was coming to Wrigley Field on July 31st and August 1st because my birthday fell on that weekend, so I bought the tickets as a birthday gift to myself.  (It was about $385 for two seats.  I thought it was a lot, but it was an opportunity to see one of few artists I have not seen, and I was not disappointed.)
It was worth it to be able to see one of the great songwriters and performers of our times. He came out on a hot summer night in 90-plus degrees heat and humidity and played for three hours and didn’t miss a beat.  He sounded great and the band was tight.
They played a great mix of Beatles, Wings and solo music. Wrigley was jam packed with people who had great anticipation for the show. The stage was set up in center field and there was a cover over the outfield with seats on the outfield and no seating in the bleachers or infield. I would guess it to be about 45,000. People.
On the left and right side of the stage were 50 foot tall video screens and as it got close to showtime, they started scrolling down nostalgic pictures and video of everything to do with the Beatles, Wings and Paul and friends. Then, as the show started, they had Paul and the band on these side screens and more video going on behind them and at one time they even played a video of the game Rock Band, Beatles Edition on the screen behind them.
Paul came out in his red jacket playing this set list, but not necessarily in this order:
Hello Goodbye, Junior’s Farm, All My Loving, Jet, Drive My Car, Sing the Changes, The Night Before, Let Me Roll It, Paperback Writer, Long and Winding Road, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five, Let ’Em In, Maybe I’m Amazed, I’ve Just Seen a Face, I Will, Blackbird, Here Today, Dance Tonight, Mrs. Vandebilt, Eleanor Rigby, Something, Band on the Run, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Back in the U.S.S.R., I’ve Got a Feeling, A Day in the Life / Give Peace A Chance, Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, Day Tripper, Get Back, Yesterday, Helter Skelter, Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight, and somewhere in there he played Birthday and said for those of you celebrating this is for you. 
(This HAD to be a special treat for you, seeing the show during your birthday weekend!!!  kk)
When he played Band On The Run, they showed video of the photo shoot for the album cover and that was really cool ... and when they played Live And Let Die, there was pyrotechnics going off on the stage and real fireworks going up behind the stage ... it was very dramatic.
He played the bass, two electric guitars, an acoustic, two mandolins and two different pianos. He talked to the audience and told stories between songs and thanked people for the signs.  We all got to sing along with Hey Jude and  that was a great part of the show ... every one was into it and it felt like peace love and happiness.
What a great show!
Mark Baker



Sounds like an AMAZING show!!! I've seen McCartney nine times now and it is ALWAYS a treat to see what this man can do on stage.  (He could have played five more hours and STILL only scratched the surface of his amazing catalog!!!)  Thanks, Mark!  (kk)


re:  THE FORGOTTEN HITS BOOK (and VIDEO) CLUB:
A good friend of mine (Jeff March) co-wrote a just released book called “Where Have All the Pop Stars Gone.”  I thought the folks that populate this blog would be very interested.  Jeff has an extensive radio background, but left the industry several years ago to go into business for himself.  This is Volume One of what will be a series delving into the past history, and present lives of many of the super stars of the past.  Each chapter is dedicated to one of the “greats” from years gone by, with subsequent chapters about the individuals (if the target chapter is about a group) involved.  Others are singular chapters, if artist was a solo a performer.  All the details come from personal interviews with those involved.  I found it an excellent read.  Hopefully other in the group will too.
Really love the blog and the website.T. Michael Jordan (Tom Nefeldt)

I'm sure most of our readers would really enjoy a book like this ... thanks for sharing.  (And, speaking of sharing, if Jeff would like to share a small excerpt on our web page, we'd LOVE to do so!!!)
kk

My book -- "Eight Days A Week: Births, Deaths & Events Each Day in Oldies History", is now available in an expanded and updated Kindle edition. That means you can take it with you on your Kindle, PC, Mac or smart phone. Go to:  http://amzn.to/oMRay0
Look for Nook and iPad versions to follow soon.
-- Ron Smith


Kent ...
Here's an excerpt from the book I'm reading, "1950's Radio In Color" by Christopher Kennedy:
Here's news of an innovation I'm introducing at my record hops after the first of the year:
At all my dances I will also bring along a portable 10 foot square canvas screen and a slide
projector.
For the past 6 months I've been taking color shots of all the stars who come up on the show to be interviewed -- as a consequence, I have compiled quite a collection of record stars' pictures. These pictures will be shown to the crowds at the dances so they can see what they look like --
bigger than life-size ---- already the reaction is sensational.From the "Tommy Edwards Newsletter," Vol. 3, No. 12, December 30, 1955.
Here's proof of Edwards' brainchild predating the music video explosion of the 1980's and the rise of MTV by 25 years. Perhaps our deejay was just a little too far ahead of his time.
Frank B.



Hi Kent,
This is my latest DVD release, filmed during one of the many days on the Beach Boys' 30th anniversary tour of 1991 - I'm sure some of your readers will be interested in reading about it and seeing the trailer.  
Best,
Billy Hinsche

re:  SEE, WE REALLY DO REMEMBER!!!:

Hello Kent,

You hit the nail on the head as usual with the skipping on the 45's we used to listen to in our youth.  I had the 45 of American Pie, of course I had to flip it to hear the whole song as in those days with a very long song such as this one. The skipping part was at when the jester stole his phony crown, when I hear it today and it comes to that part of the record, I sing the that part that skips the jester stole the jester stole the jester stole over and over.

Anyways, this is a good topic as we all had those 45's that did skip in some parts. Boy, do I laugh at myself when it comes up to that part. Maybe some of your other readers have more of those 45's I don't but would love to know what tunes they have and where it skips. Sometime it can make for a funny story or memory.

Thanks again,
Kenny

Unfortunately, I had a number of 45's that skipped back then. (I'm sure most of us ALSO remember placing pennies on the tone arm of our stereos to try to eliminate some of the skipping ... and instead creating a grinding, surface noise from having too much pressure in the grooves ... still the lesser of two evils, I suppose!)

The main one that did it for me was "Holly Holy" by Neil Diamond ... you don't hear this one that often on the radio anymore but every time I do, I immediately flash back to the skip in my record ... and catch myself laughing, too!  I'm sure some of our readers will have some memories to share on this topic as well.  (kk)



Kent,
Your postings regarding the same song at different speeds reminded me of one song in particular, the song "Rings", by Cymarron. The version that was put out on the Rhino records compilation "Have A Nice Day, Vol. 17" years ago is, from my understanding, the album version of the song. This version is sped up quite a bit over the 45 version ... but this was NOT the version heard on the radio at the time.  The 45 version is the one I remember being played on WLS and WCFL when the song was a hit. I bought a brand new 45 of the song years ago, put it on the turntable once, recorded it to tape and have in digital format now. 

After not hearing the song on the radio for many years, I heard Bob Stroud play it one Sunday on Rock and Roll Roots. Something just did not sound right to me. I discovered later why it sounded "wrong" ... the version you posted on June 17, 2009, is also the version heard on Rhino records. I do have a good clean copy of the 45 version, and for me, it is the ONLY version I will listen to. The album version just does not sound right to me and never will. I prefer to hear it as it was played on the radio in 1971.

The link below to You Tube will also take you to a good clean copy of the original 45 version.

It is a good 12 seconds longer than the Rhino cut of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpIQ6A-0RY 

Ken

We recently went through the same thing with "Thinking Of You" by Loggins and Messina.  Stroud recently played the 45 version on his "One 45 at 1:45" feature and it just sounded as wrong as could be ... only to find out that this is because we have only heard the LP version in the 38 years since this record was first released as a single.  Sometimes I wonder if this is the artists' preference ... and THAT is the reason why this is the version that is mass-circulated ... but I also don't rule out the fact that the guys working at the record companies don't always know the difference ... or even that there IS a difference ... in these mixes, too.  As we've covered numerous times before, it's only going to get worse ... as many of the people in charge these days weren't even born yet when most of this music was first created.  I go back to my on-going appeal that SOME record company take it upon themselves to release ALL of the original single mixes of these tracks in label compilation form so that we can ALL enjoy our memories intact once again.  A HUGE undertaking to be sure ... but I would LOVE to see this happen (while we're all still around to enjoy it!)  kk

re:  HAVE YOU VOTED YET???:
I'm now taking votes at OldiesMusic.com for the bi-annual Labor Day 500 -- our first since 2009. Lots of interesting votes already.
Add yours at:  http://www.oldiesmusic.com/500.htm
Voting ends Saturday, August 27. Winners will be announced Labor Day weekend.
-- Ron Smith
ALWAYS a big event, be sure to hop on over to Ron's site and cast your votes for your favorites!  (kk)  

There was a name for us back in the 'tactile singles era.' What was it? Oh, yeah: cheapskates. 

It was always a special treat when our 69 cents bought not just one but two sides of joy. We'd flip over every 45 - or, if you're a bit younger, wait for track 2 of every CD5 - hoping for lightning to strike twice.  

It didn't matter if the B side wasn't a hit, either, as long as we liked it. And it doesn't matter now, either.

Here's your chance to tell Hz your favorite best-value singles, where the A and B side were both pretty darn good (so when you write in, be sure to name both sides). And if you ever sprung for one of those 4-song EPs, ok , we'll allow those too.

It's all part of Hz's Double-Sided Summer issue, coming your way the first week of August.

Excited? We're - ahem - B-side ourselves!

HzSoGood  
Cast your votes here:  Hzsogood@verizon.net               
And, if you need some suggestions ... check out some of the tracks listed here:





re:  TODAY'S FORGOTTEN HIT:



Kent,
When I saw your FH for today ("The Race Is On" by Jack Jones), two items came immediately to my mind. First, in 1965, the same year that Jack Jones recorded THE RACE IS ON, here in OKC he had another record with a song called THE WEEKEND. It never charted nationally, I don't think, but was quite big here in the OKC area. I don't know if it made your local survey or not. Second, his long lost brother George had a version of "The Race Is On" out (on U.A.) which got as much if not equal air play here in OKC. Speaking of George Jones, in the mid sixties when George Jones began making records for Musicor, most if not all of his recordings, made the local top 40 radio station playlist as a crossover song. However, if you are like me, when you hear the name George Jones, the first record you think of is WHITE LIGHTNING. You got to love it.
Larry Neal
"The Race Is On" was pretty much a simultaneous hit with Jack Jones' version racing up the pop charts (eventually peaking at #15 on Billboard's Pop Singles Chart) and country legend George ("No Show") Jones' (no relation) going all the way to #3 on Billboard's Country Singles Chart.  Both are GREAT recordings.  Popular as he was, George Jones didn't make much of an impact crossing over to the pop charts.  Even "White Lightning" petered out at #73 ... and that was his highest charting pop hit!!!  (kk)

Surprised to see the C.C.S. version of "Whole Lotta Love" featured today.
I've never known another soul who was familiar with this 45 I've been digging for 40 years.
Only at Forgotten Hits!

Great stuff in today's FH, Kent. Thanks!
David Lewis
Well now I know where the "sailing ship" comment came from!!!  Cool label!  And I didn't know this was a Mickie Most Production ... hardly seems like his kind of track ... but after working with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones for as long as he did, maybe this was his own little way of paying tribute to these two fine musicians!  (kk)

I asked Peter Noone if he thought my theory held water ... and this is what he had to say:

Hello Kent
Mick most shared an office with Peter Grant (ex-Herman's Hermits tour manager).  When most heard the early Zep song, he decided to cut it as Zep were not going to release singles. (Remember?)
Most only made singles.
Everyone knew Alexis and loved him mostly coz he was a great bloke and always had top players.  He wanted a hit record ... CCS was the result.
I was there for the session
Peter Noone / Herman

It's funny because Peter is right ... Led Zeppelin was never supposed to be a "singles band" ... and their albums CLEARLY dominated the charts in the '70's ... but they ALSO managed to place ten singles on the charts, too ... with some surprisingly good results.  "Whole Lotta Love" went to #2!!!  "Immigrant Song" and "Black Dog" both made The Top Ten!!!  And tracks like "Rock And Roll" (#42, 1972); "D'yer Mak'er" (#16, 1973) and "Fool In The Rain" (#21, 1980) were all over the radio on both the AM and the FM dial!  They're all Classic Rock staples now ... but back in the day these were legitimate Top 40 Hits that played on Top 40 Radio ... and nobody ever gave it a second thought.  (Shame is we over-analyze ... and categorize ... WAY too much today in radio.  I remember a time when the LISTENERS picked the hits!!!)  kk

re:  A PLUG IN FORGOTTEN HITS = SALES!:
As further proof that Forgotten Hits helps to move product ... here are a couple of topics we've talked about recently ... that folks have gone out to buy!!!

Kent ...
I just finished listening to America's new CD "Back Pages."
I like it. I say buy it.
I like the fact that the first song on this CD is "America".  
I think it might start a new trend.
Here's what i would like to see:
---  Jay Black singing "Black Is Black"
---  The Drifters singing "The Drifter"
---  Alan O'Day & Doris Day singing a duet "Day By Day"
---  Johnny Cash singing "Money"
---  Fats Domino & Chubby Checker singing a duet on "The Weight. "
---  The Rolling Stones singing "Like A Rolling Stone"
You get the idea. Any songs to add to my list?
Frank B.


After reading all the good reviews on FH, I purchased tickets to the Happy Together Again tour. 

I was not disappointed ... it was outstanding!
All the groups were great.  I can’t say one negative thing.
I didn’t catch the name of the singer who took Rob Grill's place, but he was right on. 
All the acts had a lot of energy for people who are not young anymore. (That would be my age.)
Now comes the good part.  We went backstage after the show and talked to all the performers. I have to admit for a 65 year old man I felt like a groupie!  They all were great.  Talking to us, posing for pictures, telling us stories about the old days.
If you get a chance to see this show, don’t pass it up.  It’s more than worth the price of admission.  Looking forward to next year already. 
Joe Fuller

Just wanted to say thanks to you, Kent, for posting the great article, and to Harvey Kubernik for writing such a great piece.  Lots and lots of info there.  It made me go out and  purchase the concert all over again.  Thanks again for the great history lesson.
Bill

 





re:  DIGGIN' FORGOTTEN HITS:
Kent,
Greetings from England!
I just wanted to drop you an email to say how much I appreciate the Forgotten Hits site.
Since discovering it around six months or so ago, I’ve become totally hooked! I make a visit nearly every day. It is a great source of knowledge. I used to think I knew a lot about 60’s & 70’s music, but now I realise that there is still so much to learn.
You guys even know the proper original US single mixes versus the album mix! I pride myself that, as a Brit who got addicted to the US charts in the mid-60s, I’m up there with the best in the UK in terms of knowing my American chart stuff. But, I bow my head to you guys!
As for the daily Forgotten Hit, please keep it going ... it definitely is an inspiration to me.
Just a few other final points:
Sorry, it’s a bit late, but thanks for covering the sad death of Rob Grill in depth. The Grass Roots were virtually unknown in the UK. In fact, it’s possible that they are the band with the greatest number of US Top 40 hits without a UK one. I got into their music back in 1967 with “Let’s Live For Today” and then I bought their first “Best Of” on Dunhill Records with great tracks like “Bella Linda” and “Melody For You”, etc. They made great melodic pop songs and their lack of any UK success was a real travesty.
After a spell in “pro-radio” 20 years back, I do radio just for fun these days. I present a weekly show called “Stafford’s World” that originated on the legendary Radio Caroline nearly 15 years ago. Now, it still goes out every Sunday night on Caroline along with a bunch of other stations as a syndicated show.
Finally, can I plug a series of upcoming shows on my own “Oldies Paradise” internet oldies station? We’re running a three-part series called “The Summer Of Love Re-visited” throughout August. It’s a look back to the music and the events of the Summer Of 1967.  It’ll be on at
3 pm Uk, 4 pm CET & 10 AM New York time starting on Sunday, 7th August.  With repeats on Wednesdays at 8 pm UK, 9 pm CET & 3 pm New York time from the 10th August.
You can find more details at www.oldiesparadise.com or at my www.markstafford.co.uk website.
Keep up the excellent work.
Best regards,
Mark Stafford
Thanks for the kind words, Mark.  It really is a shame that The Grass Roots never charted in the U.K. ... I don't quite get that as their music is universally appealing ... and holds up EXTREMELY well today.  Good luck with your shows ... happy to run links on our sites so that others may enjoy them, too.  (Actually, we've got a pretty big readership in the U.K. ... so this'll be great news for them as well!)  kk

re:  TOUCHE':
>>>We need to get Kent to change, since it is ONLY a "60s" blog!  And think of it this way ... if we expand FH to include more current (forgotten) songs, we won't have to publish an obituary each day, if you know what I mean!!!!  (John)
>>>Oh yeah??? Well, I wonder how many other "'60s Blogs" featured a song by Milli Vanilli this past week!!!  (kk)
Oh, you mean the duo that had a Grammy revoked because they didn't do any singing!?
Get me Gary Lewis on the horn, he has to hear this!!! :-)  
John