A special edition of Chet Coppock's Random Musings as he heads out to watch Super Bowl 50 ...
I have decided to come out of the cave and offer up some
opinions on the music we love - past and present ...
All opinions are subject to
1. I feel sorry for those people who never got the chance
to see Wayne Cochran perform live. The bombastic and flamboyant White Knight of
Soul remains the greatest lounge act I've ever seen - or ever will
2. Give a listen to "Black Pearl" by The Checkmates. Its - and this
is saying one helluva lot - the greatest song Phil Spector ever produced. Sonny
Charles' lead vocal defines the word "Majestic."
3. I would happily throw
Lou Reed out of the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame to clear a space down the road for
4. Sly and the Family's "Music Lover" at Woodstock isn't just
great, its the most exciting three minutes in rock 'n roll history.
Any time Sirius-XM radio decides to send Cousin Brucie off to the nursing home,
I will happily throw a victory party.
6. If Ronnie Rice had gone solo
after "I Will Always Think About You" he would have made mega
7. Want a great 1950's rock 'n roll lift? Hop on youtube.com
and check out Bobby Darin doing "Splish Splash" or "Queen of the Hop" on Dick
Clark's late '50's Saturday night show. Bobby dripped with charisma.
will never, I mean never, accept Styx without Dennis DeYoung. Styx without
Dennis is little league shuffle board.
9. Can 87.7 possibly get any
worse? The station for musical indifference keeps redefining the phrase "why
10. Back to Sirius-XM. Will somebody please tell midday headache
Pat St. John to shut the F--- up?
11. If there's one song I can listen to
10 times a day it's got to be the "My Back Pages"' by the Byrds.
any white dude ever sing with more so-called "Soul" than Eric Burdon? The
correct answer is NO!
13. Lady Ga Ga sings the National Anthem at the
Super Bowl. The NFL used to force feed us "Up with People."
14. How much
bread did "New Radicals" leave on the table when they disbanded back in '98 or
'9? "Wake up kids you got the dreamer's disease."
Off to the
Host: Chicago Blackhawks Heritage Series