Monday, July 16, 2018

A Monday Morning Quickie

Well, maybe NOT so much a "quickie," as there's a WHOLE lotta good stuff here again today ... so maybe more of a Monday Morning Marathon (???)

Here are a few things that didn’t fit in Sunday’s Comments Page …
(and be sure to watch for a review of the Freddy Cannon / Doo-Wop Concert tomorrow in Forgotten Hits!) 

Based on your review of the Mason / Cropper show, I missed a good one! I did see Dave Mason on one the original Soundstage shows, probably middle - late 70s. At that time, he released a live album - with an excellent rendition of Watchtower. I didn't recall then that he mentioned about him playing it on Electric Lady Land, I but certainly hear the acoustic guitar on it. 
I did see Yes at the Arcada on both nights. I didn't post a review about it since I didn't think that your readers care for a "prog rock wank-fest." The only hit they played was Roundabout - no Your Move nor Owner of a Lonely Heart ... although they opened with Close to the Edge, one of my faves in their catalog.  (I’m still kicking myself that I didn't go to Fab Four show!!!) 
Anyway, thanks for your service in the greater good.
PS - If you’d like to me to clip out, from the newspaper, Ron O's column from Friday - let me know.
Best to Frannie, too.
Bob
LOTS of good shows coming up at The Arcada … and he’s ALWAYS adding more.  You would have really enjoyed the Dave Mason / Steve Cropper concert – great musicianship from start to finish.
(Did you hear about the new live Yes DVD / CD coming up in September?  Scroll down for more information.)
Sure, send me the clipping – it’d be cool to have on hand.  (kk)

>>>Kinda reminds me of that scene in Eddie and the Cruisers!  (kk)
I love that movie and the music in it. 
It has everything …
Great music, strong performances from (mostly) unknown actors (at the time), and a twisting and convoluted plot that keeps you guessing.
The story behind its utter failure when first released to theaters is a fascinating tale of its own.  Maybe you would do a piece on that story sometime.  It would sure fit the "Forgotten Hits" message.
Brad
One of my all-time faves, too … I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it!
Loosely based on the whole Jim Morrison “Is he still alive?” myth (I’ve gotta believe) the story centers around Eddie Wilson, whose breakthrough album with his band The Cruisers was a smashing success.  But then Eddie wants to grow for the next album and push the limits musically … turning in an album the record company refuses to release.  Frustrated, Eddie takes the tapes, hops in his car, and then drives off a bridge … but did he really die?  (I guess this part is kinda based on Brian Wilson pushing the envelope with albums like “Pet Sounds” and “Smile,” venturing away from the safe, tried and true surf, girls and car songs that made The Beach Boys famous … with maybe a little Jan Berry / Dead Man’s Curve thrown in for good measure.)
When the film was released in theaters, it totally bombed … and was all but forgotten … until it started running on cable (at a time when cable tv was virtually brand new.)  Due to repeated airings, it soon found a whole new audience … and the soundtrack album started selling like crazy.  (I remember at the time owning a mail order record business … and you wouldn’t believe how many people wrote in asking for the original Eddie and the Cruisers album … the one pictured in the movie.  No matter how many times I tried to convince them that the ONLY album that existed was the soundtrack to the film … despite countless arguments of “No, no … I’ve already got THAT one … I want the ORIGINAL album), I couldn’t convince them that Eddie and the Cruisers were just a fake, make believe band.  They insisted they were real.
A follow up sequel didn’t come close to measuring up to the original … but the sound of John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band was addictive (if not just a little bit Springsteen-inspired.)  That, too, was part of the fantasy … that this nearly spot on Springsteen voice would be coming out of your radios in 1964 when the movie supposedly took place.
Still … cast all of the craziness aside, and it’s still a VERY enjoyable film to watch with some OUTSTANDING music.  (“On The Dark Side” and my favorite, “Tender Years” both charted Top 40 when they were released as singles in 1984 after the movie caught on on cable.  John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band had a couple more Top 40 Hits under their own name a year later.  (“Tough All Over,” #22, 1985 and “C-I-T-Y,” #18, 1985.)  kk

Sounds like our WD-40 ad was a fake. (I always thought it was pretty unlikely to be real, especially for 1964 … or for ANY time, really … but I never bothered to check it out, figuring it was just too funny not to share anyway.)
Well, Chuck Buell checked it out … and here’s what he found …
Source:  Snopes:  False WD-40 Ad 

Kent:
I followed your link to the top 20 favorite psychedelic songs.  I have an interesting story behind your #1: Incense and Peppermints.  It, too, is one of my favorite songs.  
If any of your readers have visited my WLS survey site, they would have seen a note about my being a DJ on Radio 89.  Those of you who haven't visited the web site would be scratching their heads, since they will not be able to recall ever hearing me on Radio 89.  Notice I never said “WLS Radio 89.”  
That is because during July, 1970, to the end of May, 1971, I got myself a weekend radio gig on AFRTS Radio 89, Adak, Alaska. :-)  My primary job in the U.S. Navy was as a Communication Technician Maintenance (electronics).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptologic_technician
The rating badge looked more like a feather and lightning bolt, so it
got nicknamed: lightning fast chicken plucker.

During one weekend, I played "Incense and Peppermints."  Shortly after
starting the song, the boss came in and yelled at me for playing it … and
told me that if I ever played a non-official song again, I would not have a weekend radio show.  I normally used my collection of 45s and oldies LPs for the tracks because the "official" records had seen their days (back-cue scratches and the likes.)  I was supposed to make sure that a copy existed in the archives.  Unlike what was seen in "Good Morning Vietnam," where Robin Williams was seen playing 45s at the radio station, that was really far from the truth.

All AFRTS radio stations, worldwide, were sent LPs that contained 12 military-approved tracks.  No song could be played that wasn't officially approved.  Adak was way out in never-never land.  Who cared.  Other than my boss, no one ever did complain about my playing it.
A little tid-bit, in case you didn't know that about AFRTS radio.  BTW, AFRTS was pronounce, as a joke: A-farts.
Mike Brown
 

Hi Kent,
Please find attached a photo I thought you might be interested in (perhaps for your Saturday Survey post).
It’s Joel Whitburn’s very first ad in the Billboard issue dated July 13, 1968, fifty years ago this week.
Before he compiled his first book, he was selling individual artist chart discographies.  One his first customers was some guy named Casey Kasem!
Note how someone at Billboard left the “Falls” part out of Menomonee Falls.
Paul Haney
Record Research


Now that is VERY cool! 
I’ve told the story before about how I found Joel’s book, which ran thru 1969 (with an addendum for 1970) at the library at Rosary College and was absolutely fascinated by it.  I rediscovered SO many songs I had forgotten all about … and would spend my lunch hours there transferring this information into a notebook so that I could compare the Billboard lists with my own collection of WLS Silver Dollar Surveys. 
When I saw my first ad in Billboard, it was for the miniature sized paperback 1972 edition, which I still have to this very day (although I don’t know if a single page is glued to the spine anymore!  And it’s pretty well written on throughout as well. 
I’ve added EVERY volume since to my collection … and a large number of OTHER Record Research titles as well.  For a chart-a-holic like me, these books have provided countless thousands of hours of reading and fact-checking.  There is not a day that goes by where I don’t refer to at least one or two them. 
Cool to see how all this started with such humble beginnings.  Thanks for sharing, Paul!  (kk)

More survey talk from Clark Besch …  
I am doing some radio chart research and ran across another NC6 anomaly. 
The New Colony 6 have had some great two-sided 45s, but seldom been known for such.  MANY of their 45s have been excellent on BOTH sides.  The B side of "I Confess" was a bit unconvincing, but their second 45, "I Lie Awake" (somewhat of an "I Confess" clone) had an equal strength B side with a definite garage feel to it, "At the River's Edge" … so much so that WLS even had a contest to have callers call in to choose the A side. 
As the years went on, some very convincing A/B sides came along with my fave TSW's (two sided winners) being "Long Time To Be Alone" / "Never be Lonely" and "I Will Always Think About You" / "Hold Me With Your Eyes." 
That brings me to these two WIRL Peoria, Illinois charts. 
The September 24, 1966, chart lists "Power Of Love" as the new NC6 single and the next week, the bizarre supposed A side, "Wingbat Marmaduke" gets the nod!  A TSW from a 45 few remember!  Maybe it needed to be a month later in release -- around Halloween???!!!
I have actually found a few charts over the years showing each side of NC6 singles from different stations from all over the country, so some programmers believed in both sides like often have.
Clark Besch



I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed both sides of their first single … the hit “I Confess” and the haunting B-Side, “Dawn Is Breaking.”  Honestly, I much prefer “At The River’s Edge” today over “I Lie Awake” … and “Let Me Love You” was a great B-Side as well to their follow-up release, “Love You So Much.” 
Of course their BIGGEST two-sided hit of all-time had to be “Come And Give Your Love To Me,” the intended A-Side that Larry Lujack suggested they flip over to feature “Things I’d Like To Say” instead.  (“You’re promoting the wrong side of the record!”)  It ended up being their biggest national chart hit. 
But for me personally they never perfected that two-sided feel the way they did with “Long Time To Be Alone” and “Never Be Lonely” … BOTH sides of this record should have been Top Ten Hits, hands down.  (The single was re-released by MCA Records a few years later with “Never Be Lonely” on top as the “push” side … and it still went nowhere.  (kk) 

Fans of our Saturday Surveys feature will enjoy this link, celebrating KISN Surveys from the ‘50’s, ‘60’s and ‘70’s.  (Several pages to scroll thru!)

You may not know this, but Frank B. is a MAJOR WCBS-FM Fan.  (I think it may have come up once or twice before in Forgotten Hits!) 
Last week he sent me this piece (which is actually kinda cool)
101.1 WCBS-FM Returns from Jack | July 12, 2007 – Airchexx.com
kk:
Not as good as the original, but WCBS-FM came back. Lately I've been listening to RewoundRadio.
Frank B. 
Jack-FM worked in concept but, for whatever reason, failed miserably in practice … and today is looked back at as one of radio’s biggest blunders in recent history.  (I’m honestly not sure why … the full variety, never know what you’re going to hear next, concept is working for a number of other radio stations today, with a lot less fanfare.) 
Ironically, I had just started listening to WCBS-FM in the morning because just prior to the change over to Jack, Micky Dolenz was brought on as the morning deejay … and, besides the fact that I have always been (and will always be) a HUGE Micky Dolenz fan, he brought a GREAT element of humor and story-telling to his program.  (For years the joke was that HE was the one that brought WCBS-FM down.  Not even close!) 
I’m with you on Rewound Radio … the best option out there for all around great oldies entertainment and variety.  If Me-TV-FM ever starts streaming their live broadcast worldwide, I think they’ll give them a run for the money from a music programming standpoint, but NOBODY can touch them for content with vintage airchecks and a true love and appreciation for Top 40 Radio … in this regard, Rewound Radio trumps all others.  (kk) 

Happened across this cool article by Barry Levine, clearly a man after my own heart when it comes to Forgotten Hits.  You may find it interesting, too …
 
Kent; 
Even if John Rook was still around, I don’t think he would care to talk about his involvement with Roulette Records. Morris Levy, whom I knew, ran Roulette and his alleged ties to an east coast crime family were well-known in the music world. In short, they were a bunch of bad motor scooters! There were several other labels allegedly owned by the mob.
Ask Tommy James about his unfortunate dealings with Levy. When ABC New York heard about Rook’s tie in with the Roulette promotion, the you know what hit the fan and Rook got an earful and a warning from ABC. 
Clark Weber
Tommy goes into GREAT detail about the mob ties going on behind the scenes during his career with Roulette Records.  Do yourself a favor and pick up Tommy’s book … an EXCELLENT expose of the music scene in the ‘60’s, soon to be a major motion picture.  (kk)

>>>Do you remember back in December of 1968 that WLS and Roulette Records gave away a special gold label 45 of The Shondells' Crimson and Clover?  They sent it in an envelope in which they received 45s from Dot records.  (Mike Brown)
>>>Yes, we covered this one eons ago, but what you sent is EXTREMELY cool … very high quality photos of the record and the envelope (hard to believe they hand-wrote out all that information below the mailing label!)  kk
Kent:
The handwriting on the envelope is mine.  It was my note as to the contents.  Technically they aren't photos, but scans (1200 dpi then Photoshopped to 300 for posting).
Mike 






EAGLE VISION PROUDLY PRESENTS 

YES

FEATURING JON ANDERSON, TREVOR RABIN, RICK WAKEMAN

50TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE AT THE APOLLO - OUT SEPTEMBER 7, 2018

“Glorious splendour, a cause for celebration … 
the true spirit of Yes’”– Louder Than War
VIEW TRAILER HERE 
 






























On September 7, 2018, Eagle Vision will release Yes, 50th Anniversary Live At The Apollo on DVD, Blu-ray, 2CD & 3LP.  
In 2016, Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman combined their incredible talents and the heritage of Yes to take to the road for a series of concerts celebrating the band’s musical legacy from the seventies to the nineties. Yes, featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman brought their live show to the UK in early 2017, including this sell-out performance, captured live at the Manchester Apollo. 
With a setlist embracing the spectrum of their career, including classics “Roundabout,” “Owner Of A Lonely Heart,” “And You And I,” “Hold On,” “Heart Of The Sunrise,” “Rhythm Of Love,” “I’ve Seen All Good People,” “Awaken” and many more, the band were on superb form. Wakeman’s keyboard sorcery wove its spell alongside Rabin’s masterly guitar skills and founding member Jon Anderson’s unique vocal and lyrical prowess to create a special night of musical alchemy for their fans. This glorious show captures the true, enduring nature of this ever-powerful band.  
Grammy Award winners Yes have sold more than 35 million albums and have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  

Line-up: 
Jon Anderson (vocals, guitar, harp); Trevor Rabin (guitar, vocals); Rick Wakeman (keyboards) 
With Lee Pomeroy (bass) and Lou Molino III (drums) 
Audio Mixed By: Paul Linford and Trevor Rabin  

Tracklisting: 

CD (Disc One)
1) Orchestral arr. Perpetual Change (Rabin) / Cinema (Rabin/Kaye/Squire/White) / Perpetual Change (Anderson/Squire)
2) Hold On (Rabin/Anderson/Squire 
3) I've Seen All Good People : (i) Your Move (ii) All Good People (Anderson/Squire) 
4) Lift Me Up (Rabin/Squire)  
5) And You & I (i) Cord Of Life (ii) Eclipse (iii) The Preacher, The Teacher (iv) Apocalypse (Anderson/Bruford/Howe/Squire  
6) Rhythm Of Love (Rabin/Anderson/Kaye/Squire/White)  
7) Heart Of The Sunrise (Anderson/Bruford/Squire) 

CD (Disc 2) 
8) Changes (Rabin/Anderson/White) 
9) Long Distance Runaround (Anderson) / The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) (Squire) 
10) Orchestral Shade (Rabin) / Awaken (Anderson/Howe) 
11) Make It Easy (Rabin) / Owner Of A Lonely Heart (Rabin/Anderson/Howe/Squire) 
12) Roundabout (Anderson/Howe)  

We’ve run this clip several times before (but it’s been awhile since we’ve done so, so here it is again) …
Take a few minutes and watch this brief video, featuring a 4-Star General, General George Babbitt, who was the Ventures first drummer way back when!!!   
Most of you don’t know that I played in a garage band back in the mid-60’s, and “Walk Don’t Run” was one of our favorite songs!!! I played the bass on a candy-apple red Fender Bass Master. I didn’t last long, but I had the biggest amp on the block!!!  And believe me, sometimes “size matters!!!!!!!!!”
Enjoy!
Mike

     



From FH Reader Tom Cuddy …
Mike Stoller Plays Favorites: The Composer Reveals His 5 Most Important Songs:  https://www.theatermania.com/news/mike-stoller-plays-favorites_85809.html
His “Hound Dog” story is fantastic!  (kk)


A new Buddy Holly Movie seems to be in the works.
Variety is reporting that “Clear Lake” is now in development with a $12-million budget and the full support of Buddy’s widow, Maria Elena Holly.  (kk)
kk …
Sounds very interesting.
FB

Be sure to check back tomorrow for another Forgotten Hits Concert Review!  (kk)