Wednesday, February 13, 2019

My Very Own British Invasion (A Musical Fable of Rock 'n' Love)


FABLE:  1. A legend; story pointing a moral, often through the medium of animal characters that talk and act like people.
            2. A falsehood; fictitious story  

There are no animals telling a story here. OK … there are no lions and tigers and bears anyway. There is (quoting the characters) a NEW British Invasion that, as ‘Pamela’ and ‘Trip’ say, is “all about sex and roll n’ roll.” Pamela IS Marianne Faithfull. Trip IS Mick Jagger. Our pre-show Conversation Program, made that very clear. Peter Noone is … Peter Noone. 

Now for the rest of this review, you must focus on the definition of FABLE printed above and realize that the lines of fact and fiction are blurred and cannot be separated easily by anyone except Peter Noone and Rick Elice (author).  

Thus the music that is sung is definitely British Invasion era, but NOT necessarily from the year(s) depicted. Each song is chosen to reflect the point of plot. I attended with 18 of my closest friends (HEY … GROUP RATES??) who caught up on our personal lives over dinner, listened intently to the pre-show information on the whys and wherefores of the night’s performance and then sat expectantly in the theatre for what was one of the preview performances. This means that what we saw that night may never exactly be performed again. There are still re-writes and changes daily that will continue through March 3, 2019. I have sent Kent info and pictures from the program that he can use to enhance understanding and, from my educator’s point of view, teach. 

The music was great! Did you expect me to say otherwise? The vocals of Peter, Trip, Pamela and Geno were all dynamic; and intense in the emotional situations. The setting revolves around the Bag O’ Nails in London. You know YOU are one of the few group of readers that allows me to eliminate an explanation of that London club and scene. So … moving on!  

Apparently the F-bomb had a field-day either in this club or this era of British history. At the intermission, eight saucer-eyed friends of mine turned to me and said, “Well?” I responded, “I guess I won’t be bringing any classes here.”  

Starting out, the musical also portrayed a sextangle more than a triangle. Now let me also add some depth to what at first seems to be a superficial love story. 

Trip considers Pamela his “duchess” in the sense that she is free to be with whomever and whatever she wants as long as he is not impacted in a negative way. That changes when Peter comes into her life, presenting her with a choice of more than a sexual dalliance. Trip takes offense at this possibility. A NICE GUY WINNING A GIRL OVER HIM? He IS after all, what Rock N’ Roll is all about, and his on-stage performances cannot be equaled. He utilizes “Hammer,” his bodyguard, to persuade underage Peter to GO HOME AND STAY HOME. The use of the song, “Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat?” takes on new meaning when a very large man wielding a hammer, (yes, actually wielding a hammer) menacingly  drives you home. I thought it was hysterical, but others disagreed.

The second act pulled things together in that the characters showed more depth amid their own demons and flaws. A turn-around point for me was Trip singing “You’re My World” to Pamela after letting it slip that “I LOVE YOU!” YES! I said. This bad boy has feelings that he does not allow to surface in order to preserve his spot in this invasion and maintain his authority in this community. He does not want to show ways that he can be hurt or toppled. Yes, he capitalizes on the use of a bodyguard, but he explains this as “I’m a lover, not a fighter.” He preserves his body and fears by having someone else fight physically for him. 

Trip quickly recovers from this tender moment and never reveals his under-belly again.  So, how does this end? Does anybody get the girl? Is it good boy versus bad boy? Is Pamela a bad girl ... or a good girl in a heated situation? 

I won’t tell you. 

I will say there are scenes of darkness as each character develops. The discussion between Peter and his mum reminds me of one I had with my own son. I didn’t send him off to America though … or any other country … but I did have to understand what he needed at that time and how to give him the strength to try.  Oh, btw, the use of the phrase “that was so hot” hit many of us as Paris Hilton suddenly stepping into the 60’s. Probably words like ‘fab’ or ‘gear’ would be more appropriate ... but then again would all of the audience have an understanding of typical 60s slang?

So, remember, this is a snippet in time, depicting characters in a FABLE. 

The moral? Love hurts ... but to avoid it is to avoid the possibility of ever having it. 
 
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano