Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Sunday Comments ( 06 - 07 - 20 )

>>>Between the pandemic ... and now all the rioting ... along with all the other craziness going on in the world right now, please try to find a moment of silence today to remember Billie Joe McAllister who, on the 3rd of June, another sleepy, dusty, Delta day, jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge 54 years ago today.
In the lyrics if I remember right, doesn’t papa catch a virus and die?
Dave Evans
OMG, you’re absolutely RIGHT!!!  That makes today’s anniversary tribute that much MORE timely and worth remembering.  (kk)

And, of course. had Billie Joe actually jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge, the fall would have been more embarrassing than fatal.  That's because at the time, 1967, the river was no more than a couple of feet down and, at most, a couple of feet deep.  Ol' Billie would have had to land face first in the mud below and simply decide to not get up for it to have marked his sorry demise.   
TRIVIA:  What was it that Billy Joe and Bobbie supposedly threw off the Tallahatchie Bridge? 
According to the movie version of the story, it was a rag doll named Benjamin.
Gary Theroux

And, ON the 3rd of June, it was announced that a new Bobbie Gentry release chock full of bonus tracks is about to hit the streets.  (How timely is THAT?!?!)

>>> June 3rd, 1970 - Ray Davies of The Kinks flies round trip from America to England (nearly 7000 miles) to re-record the words “cherry cola” in the song “Lola” because the BBC refused to play it with its original words, “Coca-Cola.”  Was it worth it?  “Lola” became The Kinks’ first Top Ten Record in five years!  (kk)

Hey Kent,
Interesting that Ray Davies was flown in 7,000 miles to dub "cherry cola" into the hit "Lola" 50 years ago. I didn't know there was a rule against advertising or endorsing a product in a recording. At the time, I knew of the two versions and was thinking, "Why did they do this? Could Coca Cola actually mean cocaine? How could champagne taste like cocaine?"
In the beginning of 1963, Capital Records released "Greenback Dollar" by The Kingston Trio. Producer, Voyle Gilmore decided to make two "versions" of the song, which became Hoyt Axton's first success as a songwriter. Gilmore left in the word "damn" on the album, but brought in studio guitarist, Jack Marshall, to record ONE guitar chord, and dub over the bad word for the single! Unlike "cherry cola" and its possible product endorsement problems, Gilmore simply stated that the 45 wouldn't sell, if the word remained there. My, have times changed!
When I attended a Kingston Trio concert, many years ago, Bob Shane explained that their tour was interrupted, so they could go back to the Capital studios and dub in the chord, but that wasn't the case. I wonder if Marshall claimed any royalties after the song became a hit!
-         John LaPuzza

I just finished reading a Kinks biography titled "God Save The Kinks."
I enjoyed it a lot and learned quite a bit about the band.
To my ears, one of their most overlooked LP's is "Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall Of The British Empire)."
I highly recommend the book and check out the LP if you're not familiar with it.
Brad
Other than a few different Greatest Hits compilations, I don’t think I’ve ever owned an album by The Kinks.  (I prefer the earlier, British Invasion stuff … but will admit to like quite a few of their ‘70’s and ‘80’s tracks as well.
What I find is that when I’m reading a biography of a particular artist, I want to hear as much as I can by that artist to see what I may have missed along the way.  I’m reading Russ Giguere’s (of The Association) book right now and, as such, have been listening to a lot of Association album tracks that I wasn’t previously familiar with.  What I’m finding here is that the very best selections were made when hand-picking the singles … an Association’s Greatest Hits package is a must for EVERY music collection.  “Along Comes Mary” (#7, 1966), “Cherish” (#1, 1966), “Pandora’s Golden Heebie Jeebies” (#19, 1966), “No Fair At All” (#51, 1967), “Windy” (#1, 1967), “Never My Love” (#1, 1967), “Requiem For The Masses” (#100, 1967, but a long-time fan favorite), “Everything That Touches You” (#9, 1968), “Time For Livin’” (#23, 1968), “Six Man Band” (#26, 1968), “Goodbye Columbus” (#78, 1969), “Names, Tags, Numbers And Labels” (#85, 1973, but a Top 40 Hit here in Chicago) and their big comeback single from 1981, “Dreamer.” (#66,1981)  kk
[We’re hoping to interview Russ soon for Forgotten Hits … stay tuned for more information.]

Kent -
I just want you to know that you made my day by posting YELLOW RIVER by Christie. To be honest with you, I wasn't at all familiar with the Tremeloes’ and John's versions. As for that version that you didn't post by I.P. Daley … I am trying to remember what record label that was on. (lol).
Larry Neal
You have to remember that this was the very hip and timely, feel-good, positive vibe 1970’s … so the I.P. Daley version came out on You’re In! Records.  (kk)

Hi Kent -
Thanks, as always, for your great and detailed newsletter.
Referencing The Tremeloes, I'd like to make a comment on the story behind them and “Yellow River.”  I can do so, having interviewed on my radio show Jeff Christie and two members of the Tremeloes (Chip Hawkes and Dave Munden.)
It’s true that Mike Smith brought them the Jeff Christie song, and they did the original demo.  But their reasons for not releasing it were because they had started to have hits with their own songs in 1969.
After 17 UK hits with other people’s songs, in November, 1969, they has a huge number 2 song called "Call Me Number One."
The demo of “Yellow River” was done in early 1970 and did make Number One in the UK in March, 1970, (featuring The Tremeloes as backing track) with Jeff Christie lead vocal on the top.
But The Tremoloes’ Chip Hawkes / Alan Blakely had "Me And My Life" ready as the follow up.  This was number 4 in Autumn of 1970 .
At that period in time, they wanted to exercise control by releasing their own songs.
Regards,
Geoff
PS - Hope you liked the Dennis DeYoung interview.
I thought the Dennis DeYoung interview was very interesting - you covered a number of great topics – I especially liked his take on power ballads - have played it for several people.
(You'll see a comment here today about Dennis wanting to one more tour with his old band Styx ... I just don't think it'll ever happen.)  kk

"Laurel Canyon" … The film that explains the "Los Angeles Rock Music Scene'
Until now, I had no use for a fairly new premium movie channel called "EPIX."   About a year ago, Comcast, dumped Starz (like they did Cinemax earlier) and this time, added Epix.  This channel ran a constant barrage of bad to mediocre films (mostly from the mid 1980's to the early 2000's).  I mean really weak motion pictures!
However, redemption came this week.  Epix aired Part 1 of "Laurel Canyon" with the second half to debut on Sunday.  They are listing it as a 'series' -- yet, actually it is really a fantastic documentary film.  
With the guidance of Speilberg and Warners Music, amongst other highly regarded pros, this work tells the remarkable story of that enclave of talented musicians who dwelled, jammed, partied and created their art in the 'Hollywood Hills' area known as Laurel Canyon during those halcyon decades of the 1960's & '70's.  Lots of stars here including the Mama's & Papa's, CS&N, The Byrds, the Turtles, and many more.  A recent earlier attempt doing this fell way short of what this film achieves.  That one, "Echoes In The Canyon," featured too much of Jacob Dylan (Bob's son) narrating and performing weak cover versions of too many classic rock songs.  
In "Laurel Canyon," you get the real deal -- some seldom, if ever, seen (and heard) footage and dialogue with the icons themselves.  Wow!   Hear/see Eric Clapton's reaction to Joni Mitchell tuning her guitar to a 'folk chord.'
That David Crosby subbed for Neil Young for Buffalo Springfield's Monterey Pop performance. Or why Young is heard but not seen in the "Woodstock" film.  Or how influential Frank Zappa was to all of this and that a couple of The Monkees had musical depth far beyond their 'bubble gum' pop identity!   And when asked why he wanted to add a fourth voice to CS&N, Steve Stills told Crosby and Nash, they needed a guitarist like Neil Young who was more skilled than they were! Talk about cajones!
"Laurel Canyon" has yet to see an actual 'theatrical release.'   It appears that, presently, this Epix channel has somewhat of 'an exclusive' with it.  I am sure it will soon be more readily available via Pay Per View, NetFlix and other platforms.  However, if you presently have this Epix channel, DO NOT MISS THIS.
Am anxious to see the second installment, which should have The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt and others included.
Ron Farber
It really is great, isn’t it?  And Part Two airs tonight on EPIX.  (I believe Hulu is also showing Part One right now for those who may not have the EPIX Channel.)  I got into a HUGE fight with Comcast / Xfinity when they botched up my cable service and deleted EPIX in order to give me Starz back.  Fortunately, I had already seen Part One … and all of this has since been resolved … but EPIX seems to be concentrating a bit more on music-related films lately.  (I’ve seen the Brian Wilson biopic “Love And Mercy” airing numerous times of late … and I’m pretty sure “La Bamba” was just on there, too.)  Maybe they’ll change their focus overall.  (I think at one time they were also running vintage concert clips.)
If you love ‘60’s music, figure out a way to catch the entire “Laurel Canyon” documentary … you will not be disappointed.  The previously unseen footage is worth the price of admission alone!  (kk)

Congratulations to our good pal Ron Onesti, who has just been named President Of The National Italian Sports Hall Of Fame.
Tony Ferraro, the Chairman of the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame Board of Directors announced the unanimous selection on Monday, June 1st.
The NIASHF was founded by George Randazzo as a Boxing Hall of Fame in 1977.  Mr. Randazzo served as President from its inception until his untimely passing in July of 2019 in a tragic automobile accident.
Ferraro announced “The board of directors has selected Ron Onesti to lead and to cultivate the NIASHF as he has the credentials, the passion and the history with the organization to take us to the next level.  We are committed to Ron’s vision as we continue to foster the legacy created by our founder, George Randazzo.”
Ron Onesti has been involved with the National organization for over thirty years as the producer of its events, Editor of its publication (Red White & Green Magazine), and a member of its Board of Directors.
In his acceptance letter to the Board, Onesti said, “This is an honor I will not take lightly.  As only the second President this organization has had in its forty-three-year history, I do not intend on trying to fill George’s shoes.  I just want to shine the ones he wore.”


The other day Jim Peterik of The Ides Of March teased us about a new project he was working on with Jimy Sohns of The Shadows Of Knight, who also happen to have a brand new single out of their own right now, which we Sneak Peaked right here in Forgotten Hits last week.
Well, I think I just found it …
A take-off on “Summertime Blues” called “Pandemic Blues” (Music is the cure for the Pandemic Blues … hey, we’ve been singing THAT song since this whole mess started!  Lol)
Credited to The Cornerstones of Rock (which features not only The Ides Of March and The Shadows Of Knight, but also The Cryan’ Shames, The New Colony Six and The Buckinghams), this seems to be more of an Ides / Jimy Sohns collaboration than anything else …
But they’ve still put together a fun video showing ALL of the artists, all of whom are chompin’ at the bit to get back out there and start performing in front of their sold out crowds again.
You can check it out right here …



Jim tells us that this is, in fact, a full Cornerstones collaboration …

Hi Kent!
While the world is in turmoil, the Cornerstones of Rock have been busy doing what we do best - entertaining the fans.
Here is our latest for all your wonderful FH followers -- "Pandemic Blues!"
With a parody lyric to "Summertime Blues" and lead vocal by the irrepressible Jimy Sohns to the basic track by 22 year old guitar whiz Michael Weber, the Cornerstones came one by one to my home studio and recorded their parts.  Everyone brought their "A" game: Carl Giammarese, Ronnie Rice, Ray Graffia, Bruce Mattey, Jim Pilster, Bob Bergland, Larry Millas, Mike Borch, Jim Peterik (who?) Scott May, and Teddy Aliotta. With a powerful mix by Larry and Jim and photo video by Paul Braun we think Pandemic Blues is a perfect tonic to beat those covid blues. Crank it up!!!” 
Jimbo

Check out these two vintage radio promo ads for The Cryan’ Shames’ album “A Scratch In The Sky” and The Ides Of March LP “Common Bond,” both sent in by FH Reader Bill Scherer …




Reaction from Jim Peterik of The Ides of March and Tom Doody of The Cryan’ Shames:

This is awesome, Kent!!!  Thank you!
I wonder whose voice that is. Just when I was sure WB did nothing to promote us! Lol!  Have a great weekend!  
Jimbo 
PS - Please thank the reader who sent this from all the ides!  
JP

Hey Kent.
I never heard this before.  This is great ... thank you so much for sending it my way.
I look forward to seeing you hopefully sometime this summer, when we can all get out and enjoy life.
I hope you are doing very well.  I enjoy reading your forgotten hits.  It keeps me involved. 
Blessings.
Tom

I'm so glad I was able to give something to folks that didn't have them -- kind of a tiny pay back for their work for all of us.
Bill

More on our Local Heroes …

Kk …
Another Reunion --- Maybe …
Styx Singer Dennis DeYoung Says He Wants a 'Last Tour' With His Old Band
FB
I know that they say when it comes to rock and roll, never say never … but I think THIS one may be a bit tougher to pull off.  Still … one can only hope!  (kk)

Hi Kent,
I hope this email finds you well.
I’ve been doing an online streaming broadcast on Facebook for the last 10 Saturday nights. If you would be so kind, I’d appreciate your mentioning it to your readers. The show is archived so you can check out some of the segments for yourself.
Bye for now,
Billy Hinsche

A couple of our readers have been able to take advantage of this “down time” to finish up some projects they have been working on for quite some time.

Alex Valdez of The Yellow Balloon has just published his first novel.  (Alex is quick to point out that it has nothing to do with the music business … or his time with The Yellow Balloon … but rather is a murder mystery called “Demon Dancer.”
For those of you out there still looking for ways to fill your time, this may be the perfect vehicle to do so …

Hello Kent –
I finally launched the book that I talked about years ago.  It was a long process, but it's out now.  It is not a book about rock and roll or anything concerning The Yellow Balloon.  It is a fictional book, kinda like a Steven King offering.  If you put it on your site, those that enjoy reading should get a kick out of it. I would be very beholding.  The title is "Demon Dancer" and no, it is not a how to book about the mambo. Readers will enjoy it, I hope.
Thanks,
Alex Valdez "Yellow Balloon"
Here is the link to purchase on Amazon :
Long-time FH Reader Wmbradspa (Brad Spaulding ... if he wasn't one of the "First 35," he was definitely one of the First 50!) has also finished up his long-term project and, although not yet published, he is releasing it chapter by chapter to interested readers, who are encouraged to offer feedback (or ask questions and make suggestions) so that at the end of the whole project, he can present the best possible version to potential publishers.
Titled “After Before Times,” the subject matter hits pretty close to home in light of the current on-going pandemic.  However, Brad actually started writing this book nearly fifteen years ago (and was probably inspired to finally finish things up due to all the chaos currently going around each and every one of us.)
If you are interested in being added to the mailing list to receive each chapter as it is being released, please email Wmbradspa@aol.com and he will add you to the list.  (Chapter Six went out this weekend … so you’ve already got some catching up to do!)  Each chapter comes with a brief synopsis as well as a back story and character profiles to help guide you thru the whole process.
Here is a copy of Brad’s original announcement …

About 15 years ago, I started writing a novel about a virus that wreaks havoc on society.  The vast majority of people alive die before the story even starts.
In light of recent events, I have re-visited it and am at the point where I'm about to start sending out scenes and chapters for others to read.
It is NOT a grisly horror novel in any respect.
Because of who I am, there are a LOT of references to "our music" in it - including survivors starting up a radio station, and a group of teenagers forming the 'first band' in this new world.
If you are interested in reading what I have written, just ask ON the list and I'll add you.
Brad    
Brad explains further …
I met Kent first in the old AOL "Oldies Music" chat room.  It was a wonderful place, for the most part, where oldies music fanatics could meet, chat, exchange thoughts on songs they liked, play a sort of impromptu games, and generally have a good time.  
A few years later, Kent and his wife visited Austin for the Austin Record Convention.  We met in person at that time, shared some meals and they visited my house.
I've been a "Forgotten Hits" reader/follower almost from the time Kent launched his newsletters and his site.
Over Memorial Day Weekend of 2006, I conceived a story that I worked on, played with, wrote, revised, played with more, re-wrote ... and eventually had a manuscript of a long novel (or more likely were it ever published) series of novels.
The 'starting point' for this project was that a mysterious virus became a pandemic and most of the humans on earth died.   I pulled it back out and looked at it again a couple of months ago - for obvious reasons.
Due to events of recent months, I figured it was time to show this to friends and relatives and other interested readers.  I have been sending out chapters to a mailing list over the last few weeks.
I have never made an effort to publish it; my goal was always to WRITE a novel, not to publish one.)
Kent offered me the chance to share what I have written with those on his "Forgotten Hits" mailing list who'd like to read it.  So if you're interested, e-mail me and let me know.
My e-mail address is Wmbradspa@aol.com.
Please put "After Before Times" in the subject line because AOL has a tendency to send any message from someone I haven't exchanged e-mail with previously into my SPAM folder.  Hopefully, that way I'll catch it if your request ends up in my SPAM folder.  ("After Before Times" is the name of the manuscript.)
This story is not a HORROR STORY - other than the fact that most people are dead before it starts.  The main ideas include how 'survivors' would react to such a situation, how a society might begin to restart, rebuild and rethink, and what a post-disease world might look like.
I also tried to create a number of characters who would be the sort of folks most human beings would like, could relate to, and perhaps even picture how they themselves might react in such a situation.
The main setting of the book is in the Texas Hill Country - mostly rural counties west of San Antonio, Austin and Waco.  As the narrative progresses, readers find out what's happening in places more distant from Texas.
The questions I pose directly below here are ones I sent out to folks as I was compiling the mailing of list of who's been getting the Chapters so far.  (I sent out Chapter 6 this morning.  But I can easily send to others not on my 'original list' ... the messages I sent with each chapter are saved and I can copy them easily.  And the chapters themselves are carefully saved in about six places.)
Questions to ponder....
1. How could a pandemic bring people closer together rather than separate them?
2. How could being forced to leave your homes and jobs and past lives be a relief?
3. How might ordinary American citizens react in an horrific crisis?
You might find some answers to these questions both inspiring and depressing.
W. B. Spaulding
(L-R) Pete, Brad, Carla, Rob, me and Frannie in Austin, Texas, for the giant record show, 1999 …


For more great reading, check this out …
It’s another great Micky Dolenz interview and profile, which can be found here …
One way to stay relevant and vital for a long period of time in this business is to get your hands into any number of projects that will generate some attention.
That’s what Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top is doing ...
He’s just teamed with Tim Montana to market some exceptionally hot barbecue sauces.  (The two previously teamed to record the Boston Red Sox fan favorite “These Beards Came Here To Party” back in 2013.)

Here’s a copy of the official press release.  (Get your Texan friends to ship you a bottle!!!)

Billy F Gibbons and Tim Montana, known for their guitar sounds and songwriting excursions, have taken their mutual quest for fiery foods, powered by spicy sauces, to a new plateau with the launch of their line of Beez & Teez Whisker Bomb pepper sauces. 

The new tongue tantalizers are available in two versions packaged in 5-ounce bottles: Whisker Bomb Original and Whisker Bomb Have Mercy ¡HOT!  The former is a traditional Louisiana style hot sauce blended, according to Billy and Tim, with a Texas flair; the latter is a unique blend sourced from habañero peppers grown in the Peruvian high desert and offers a distinctive robust tart flavor.  Both versions are now offered exclusively in the State of Texas through select H-E-B markets.  They are also available, coast to coast and border to border online at www. whiskerbomb.com.
Gibbons commented, “Tim is something of kindred spirt both in music and as regards his lengthy facial locks.  As it happens, he’s also a Mexican food aficionado and, like me, favors things on the spicy side.  It was only natural that we got to jamming, so to speak, and came up with a formula for a hot sauce we could call our own.”
Montana noted, “Ever since I got to meet and work with Billy it’s been a wild ride.  He’s an action-oriented partner so when the thought sprang to mind to joint venture a new pepper sauce, he got the ball rolling in a big way.  One of his enduring slogans is ‘tone, taste and tenacity.’  As it turns out, that applies not only to guitar playing so we’re proud that Beez & Teez Whisker Bomb has all three of those bases covered – in a most flavorful way."
Billy Gibbons is, of course, ZZ Top’s celebrated front man/guitar god whose penchant for the picante is the stuff of legend.  When not on tour, he’s often found frequenting taquerias in his native Texas and wherever his travels take him.  A few years back, he joined forces with Tim Montana, who was raised in the state with which he shares his name. Their initial collaboration took place in Nashville where Tim now resides with his family. That collaborative effort yielded a hit country song, “This Beard Came Here To Party.” The song became the post season anthem for the 2013 Boston Red Sox who adopted the same hirsute look as Gibbons and Montana as a sign of their dedication.  They went to win the National League playoffs and the World Series that year.  In musical support of the Red Sox, Tim re-recorded the song as “These Beards Came Here To Party” with Billy Gibbons guesting on the track. The song was also adopted as the theme of the NHL Nashville Predators during their run up to the Stanley Cup final in 2017.  Beyond that song, Billy and Tim (Beez and Teez, if you will) have become fast friends and collaborated on the title song for the feature film American Dresser before launching their Whisker Bomb venture.
Mark Bradshaw, Manager of Business Development for H-E-B remarked, “We’re thrilled that H-E-B is the exclusive retail outlet in Texas for Whisker Bomb sauces.  Billy and Tim have come up with a great new hot sauce that we’re confident is going to be yet another reason to shop at H-E-B.”  

The Drive-In Movie Theater concert thing may spread its wings this summer as a means to social distance and still enjoy a show.


Here’s something coming up in New Jersey, sent in by FH Reader Frank B …

And here’s Frank’s own personal history of keeping in step with the music we love …

kk:
FRANK B's RADIO CAREER -- 
Let’s start with 1972.
WCBS-FM starts playing Oldies.  I would have to write a letter to my favorite DJ's Bob Shannon and Norm N. Nite and Don K. Reed.  (I don't want you to think I'm that young … I could go back to Alan Freed and  Murray The K.)
I'd have to write a letter to make contact. If I was lucky, in two weeks I'd get an answer.
Next comes the fax machine.
Only problem with that is I could only do it when I was goofing off at work ... no nights or weekends.
Then I get a computer and now have access to e - mails. 24/7 ...
What could top that.?
Well, just a few weeks ago I found doowopradio4u ...
Live  DJ's every night at 8 PM.
Everybody is talking about the "CHAT ROOM."
At first I said no, I just want to listen to the music.
Then I change my mind and give it a try.
Now I can talk to the DJ between songs.
You can ask the DJ a question and he answers it right away!
You know me … I use it to let the DJ know how smart I am.
It’s great!  They always say hello and announce the names of the people in the chat room.
What's next???  I can't imagine.
Frank B.

Frank also tells us that he’s been working on his budget …

Gas = 0
Haircut = 0
Razor Blades = 0
Jukebox = 0
Drinking At Larry's Pub = 0
Entertainment = 0
WINE = UP  200%

He also sent us this …

Dion Outshines His Famous Supporting Cast On 'Blues With Friends'
Rave Reviews.

This CD is actually playing in my car right now.  I have liked ALL of Dion’s recent releases … he’s making music that HE likes … and that he’s good at … and his credibility as a blues artist just keeps growing within that community.  (He also still sounds great!)  Even if you think blues isn’t your thing, he MAKES it your thing, if only through the complete accessibility of this music.  (The “Superstar Guest List” only makes it more interesting … and hopefully brings this music to a wider audience than it might otherwise receive.)
Yep, it’s a good one!  (kk)

And, speaking of new releases …

I cannot believe that this golden opportunity to get one of Cameo's greatest records on CD has been passed over AGAIN!  Maybe NO ONE knows who the Fabulous Flippers are outside of the great plains states, but I am telling you, that that band was the BIGGEST influence and most popular band in the mid and late 60's in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and likely other states as well.  EVERYONE knew the Flippers and they were bigger than their record sales would indicate. 
This is just a clip of the amazing dance band these guys were.  It's a true shame that ABCKO has once again bypassed one of their most important 45s in their possession.
Clark Besch

Another bit of sad news ...
 
Are you ready, Steve?
Steve Priest, of Sweet, has to get ready for his final performance, as he passed today (June 4). he was 72.
Jack

You must've covered this before … "MOST RECORDED SONG." 
Leaving out Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas other holiday songs, this song gets my vote. What do you say?
FB
“Yesterday” always seems to come up on top of these lists … but “Unchained Melody” has got to be right up there.
The Russ Giguere autobiography I’m reading right now lists The Top 100 Most-Played Songs of the past century … and The Association hold the distinction of having performed THREE of them:  “Never My Love” (#2), “Cherish” (#22) and “Windy” (#61).
The Top Ten are as follows:  “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’, #1 (I think we all knew that), #2 – “Never My Love,” #3 – “Yesterday,” #4 – “Stand By Me,” #5 – “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” #6 – “Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay,” #7 – “Mrs. Robinson,” #8 – “Baby, I Need Your Loving,” #9 – “Rhythm Of The Rain” and #10 – “Georgia On My Mind.”
Now keep in mind that this list was compiled by BMI, who handles the publishing, licensing and mechanical fees for all songwriters under their umbrella.  Their competitor, ASCAP, would list a completely different set of songs.
This is also a song and song writers ranking, encompassing all performances (mostly airplay) of these tracks as performed by ALL artists.  As such I find a couple of these to be especially surprising … “Rhythm Of The Rain” at #9 … ahead of “When A Man Loves A Woman” (#14), “Every Breath You Take” (#15), “Something” (#17) and “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (#19) … and that’s just in The Top 20!  (kk)

Joel Whitburn has put THREE of his books on sale for the month of June, including his all-time best seller, “Top Singles, 1955 – 2018,” his recently released “Top Ten Hits, 1950 – 2020” (encompassing each song’s best performance across the pop charts) and the soon-to-be-released Cash Box Top 100 Charts of the ‘80’s, featuring every weekly chart for the entire decade.
Check out the details below … and let the savings begin!  Then head on over to the Record Research Website to place your orders now!  (kk)



SAVE $25

Our All-Time Bestseller!

Top Pop Singles 1955-2018
$79.95  $54.95
In celebration of our golden anniversary, Joel is offering BIG savings on the 16th edition of his flagship book which introduced the world to music-chart research 50 years ago! Get millions of data points, instantly viewable, right at your fingertips in a user-friendly format.


SAVE $25

Printing July, 2020 
Every weekly Cash Box Top 100 Singles chart, a combination of sales and airplay, from 1980-89,the final decade of the prominence of the vinyl 45 rpm record - a time pop music thrived.

SAVE $10

Cash Box Top 100 Charts: 1970s
$89.95  $79.95

Cash Box Top 100 Charts: 1960s
$89.95  $79.95


SAVE $5

Now in Stock!

The Whitburn Book of Top 10 Hits 1950-2020
$44.95  $39.95
First-ever Record Research book to include EVERY Top 10 hit from Billboard, Cash Box, Music Vendor/Record World and Radio & Records!  From the early hits of Perry Como, Patti Page and Johnnie Ray to the most recent hits of Justin Bieber, Billie Eilish and Ed Sheeran, they are ALL here, at your fingertips, in this compact, easy-to-use volume!
























































































A smile ... (I think we all could use one!) 



Remembering June 6th

On this week’s Lost And Found Oldies Show, DJ Sam Tallerico remembered 1968, featuring lots of great (and obscure) music popular on this date.
This was also the date that Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles.  Sam’s biological father, Bobby Darin, was a big Kennedy supporter … and later wrote a song honoring his memory called “In Memoriam.”  It appeared on Bobby’s “Born Walden Robert Cassotto” album a couple of months later.  The LP launched a much more serious, introspective phase of Darin’s career.  Bobby was no longer playing to the Vegas crowd that made him such a popular attraction on The Strip.  He wasn’t really hitting the pop charts much anymore either.
No, now Bobby was focusing on making music that mattered … and this was a valiant first effort in that direction.  (Speaking of which, Direction was now the name of his own record label.)
You can listen to this program in its entirety here:
Some great tunes featured on this one, including a couple of long forgotten Monkees tracks that still sound great today.  (You’ll also find a mention or two of Forgotten Hits along the way!)  kk

Meanwhile, Frank B. tells us that June 6th is also the anniversary of the death of Roy Orbison’s first wife Claudette …

kk …
Roy Orbison's First Wife, Claudette, Was Killed In A Motorcycle Accident on June 6, 1966.
FB

Other significant events on June 6th “through the decades,” so to speak … most courtesy of Ron Smith’s book “Eight Days A Week:  Births, Deaths And Events Each Day In Oldies History”:

“It was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June,” according to C.W. McCall’s song “Convoy”

“Satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones is released in 1965

Also on this date in 1965, Herman’s Hermits appear on The Ed Sullivan Show

Gary U.S. Bonds is born in 1939

The late Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops is born in 1936

Dwight Twilley is born in 1951

Uncle Kracker is born in 1974

Billy Preston dies of kidney failure in 2006

Stan Getz dies of liver cancer in 1991

The Beatles audition for Producer George Martin in London, 1962

1973 – David Bowie releases his landmark “The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars” album

Billy Swan records “I Can Help” in 1974

The Doobie Brothers sponsor a charity golf tournament and concert to benefit The United Way in 1977

Gladys Knight and the Pips appear on the last “Ed Sullivan Show” in 1971

Also on this date in 1971, John Lennon and Yoko Ono make a surprise appearance at The Fillmore East in New York City

Singer Roy Hamilton is hospitalized with tuberculosis and retires in 1956 … but then returns to performing a year later


And finally, over the past week or so I’ve received several emails from my high school alumni / reunion committee.  Next year marks our 50th Anniversary … can you believe it?!?!?  FIFTY YEARS!!! ... and they are trying to gather up as many 1971 Graduates as possible to make this a REAL reunion party in the biggest of ways.
They’re asking us to please contact any of our old classmates that we’re still in touch with and have them get on the list for this event as plans move forward.  (They’re even giving themselves the better part of a year to do it!  But honestly, with all the social distancing that has made up 2020 thus far, this probably is a VERY good idea!!!)
They’re also trying to put together a 2021 High School Yearbook, showing side-by-side pictures of what we looked like then vs. what we look like now … so they’re asking each of us to send in a current photo to share with the group.
This is the one I just sent them …



My guess is that what we’ll probably find is that we all look very much alike fifty years later!  (kk)