Thursday, May 16, 2024

Thursday This And That

On Tuesday, we told you that Me-TV-FM would be celebrating the 59th Anniversary of the release of Herb Alpert's landmark "Whipped Cream And Other Delights" album throughout the day on Wednesday, the 15th.

But AFTER we ran the promo (it was just too tasty to resist!) we did our usual fact-checking follow-up, only to find that, according to all of the reliable sources we checked, the LP was actually released on April 1st, 1965 ... some six weeks earlier.  

We didn't want to spoil their fun yesterday, so we just let it go ... let Me-TV-FM have their preplanned (but unusual) celebration ... (59 years?!?!  Who celebrates a 59th Year Anniversary?!?!?)  Besides, we had already had Shelley's 67th Peter Noone concert review scheduled to run anyway ... 

But in the spirit of our pledge to always present THE MOST ACCURATE TRUTH POSSIBLE, I felt it my duty to point this out here.

Where they came up with May 15th is beyond me ... a simple check showed April 1st again and again and again as the LP's original release date.  

But then I reread their announcement ... and the anniversary was of the date the album first hit the charts ... and NOT the original release date ... and May 15th, 1965 is, INDEED, the correct anniversary date for that, rendering EVERYTHING I just typed completely useless information.  (It also makes the error MINE and not theirs ... which means I just as easily could have deleted every word typed thus far and everyone out there would have been none the wiser ... and yet I drivel on!)

That's because I know that there are some cynics out there who will argue that the ONLY reason I mentioned any of this at all was to formulate an excuse to run that cover photo again.

Some, in fact, have suggested that I have thoroughly abused the power of Forgotten Hits, running it again and again and again over the years ...

To which I, of course, reply,  

Album cover???  What album cover???


Oh ...
THIS album cover!!!

(OK ... there may be something to this obsession after all!)  kk

Cher has FINALLY commented on being inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

After blasting the organization late last year on Kelly Clarkson’s show, stating (after acknowledging the fact that she and The Rolling Stones are the ONLY two acts in history to have #1 Records in SEVEN DECADES), “You know what, I wouldn't be in it now if they gave me a million dollars. I'm not kidding you, I'm never gonna change my mind. They can just go you-know-what themselves."

But now that Cher has been duly recognized for her contribution to The History Of Rock And Roll over those seven decades, she has since relented and says that she WILL accept the induction (as her due) … but not without a few choice words first as part of her acceptance speech!

“I'm going to have some words to say. I'm going to accept it in my Cher way, as me.  I can thank David Geffen, my friend and most wonderful person ever, and John Sykes."  (kk)

 

And, speaking of The Rolling Stones, the band had a few more set list surprises when they performed in Las Vegas last week …

Making the cut this time were “Let’s Spend The Night Together,” their cover of Bob Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone” (a song they have played intermittently throughout the years, this night introduced as "We didn't write this song … this was specially written for us by a Nobel Prize laureate"), “You Got Me Rocking” (the fan-voted choice) and “You Got The Silver,” giving Keith Richards back-to-back lead vocals on this one and the regular set list favorite, “Little T&A.”

When they played in Seattle last night, the only new "add" was "Wild Horses," the first time they have played that classic on this tour.

I guess you just never know which tunes you may hear when you see The Stones in concert this time around!  (kk)

Harvey Kubernik sent us this … and told us to “Remember Donovan’s Birthday,” which was last Friday (May 10th) … Mr. Leitch turned 78.

You can read Harvey’s tribute here:  https://www.musicconnection.com/kubernik-happy-birthday-donovan/

I just came across some really cool items ... and, for Beatles and Beach Boys fans, these are quite incredible.
 
First, this really great stereo mix of Good Vibes that I thought was VERY good -- check headphones and speakers BOTH!

THEN some amazing apparently recently auctioned off home movies made by audience members of the Beatles at Ready Steady Go and other items.  VERY cool to see and not AI generated.  This guy has managed to synch up the live audio also.  SO cool to see these.  All posted in past month and more seem to be coming!

And anyone into the Cryan' Shames, I just saw this interview with JC Hooke that is fun.  It's already been on youtube for two years!

Finally, this great tribute to one of my top 2 or 3 artists ever just showed up on youtube.  I miss the guy greatly, but his music will always live on.  Go ahead and sing along!
 
Clark Besch 
 
From Chuck Buell (under the caption "Time Is Money, Apparently!") ...
 

Sylvester Stallone is auctioning off 11 watches from his personal collection at a Sotheby’s sale in New York early next month.

 

Among his watches is a rare Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime, which is expected to fetch as much as $5 million.

 

Stallone with his Watch


Is it just me or do you too think this watch has the Saddest Watch Face ever?!

 

Perhaps representing the buyer when they realize they just paid FIVE MILLION DOLLARS . . . for a watch!

CB ( which stands for “Clock Boy!” )