Friday, November 12, 2021

A Special Edition

I received this email recently from a long-time Forgotten Hits Reader.  (If she wasn’t one of the first 35, she had to be pretty darn close … maybe #37 or #38!!!)

I don’t think she necessarily sent it to me with the intention of sharing it with everyone else … but it’s such a powerful story … and proves once again the healing power of music … that I just wouldn’t feel right keeping it all to myself.

 

Hi Kent ...

 

I know … "long time no hear." 

I have been away from my computer.  A lot of stuff going on here.  Hope you are well. 

 

On a personal note, I was involved in an auto accident in late September out in Hershey Pa.  This is over two hours away from where I live.  I was the passenger in the vehicle, at the mercy of my husband's driving. 

 

While he was not under the influence, I was injured when a speeding Camaro ran a light and plowed into the front of the car (passenger side) as my husband attempted to make a left turn on a yellow. Awful.  I've never broken anything. 

 

The impact of the crash spun our car around and my foot slammed against the hump underneath the dash, causing me to break three bones in my foot and ankle.  I was rushed to the trauma center and they tried to fix my foot but the bones were too unstable and so I had to stay a week at the hospital for the swelling to go down.  The team of surgeons were excellent and set the bones in place with an external fixator.

 

Later that week, I had a second operation.  I am ok, but not able to walk.  I am in a wheelchair and use a walker to get around my living room, wearing a boot.  My husband suffered minor injuries and the kids in the Camaro that ran the red light are ok, too. 

 

I will go back to Hershey because the doctors were amazing. You would be very interested to know that one of the anesthesiologists there was a DJ at one time.  This doctor was brilliant. 

 

Before my second surgery, he asked if I liked any of the songs from the 1960s.  (He was around my age.)  He commented that it was a time of Viet Nam War conflict ... and I agreed. He reminded me of a Navy Seal.  He asked if I lost anyone during the Viet Nam War and I responded, Yes. I think he asks everyone that. Maybe he lost someone very close to him. 

 

Surprisingly, he next asked if I like 60's music. YES!  I couldn't figure out why he would be asking me this at the time.  It seemed to not gel with the situation at hand, preparation for surgery and pain.  He then asked me if I had a request for any songs from the ‘60’s.  I said yes, I like the Grass Roots.  Mind you, I was scared and anxious right before the surgery. 

 

Well, he started singing Midnight Confessions and asked how I liked his singing.  I said it sounds good.  But it didn't end with that.  He asked if I had a request!  I said, "Temptation Eyes" by the Grass Roots. Then he played it for me on his iPhone as he prepared me for some pain blockers to dull the nerves in my foot after the surgery by connecting pain blockers to some nerves in my leg.  This was all foreign and new to me.   

 

After that, he asked if I like to play Name that Tune.  I said, “Sure.”  He was on a roll as he worked with his staff to prepare me for surgery.  He played the first note of "Cherish" by the Association.  He was pleased with me that I knew it immediately.  I saw now that there was a method to his madness.  And it was brilliant. 

So we really connected, BIG TIME. He started singing and asked me to sing.  Then he played "Never My Love" and I was singing almost the whole time. 

 

This doctor was AMAZING. It was a spiritual experience.  Not of this world.  His method transcended my pain and uneasiness and fear about the surgery.  It was miraculous.  He completely took my mind off my operation and USED MUSIC to do so. 

 

When he left, I broke down and wept. Very emotional.  As he left, I quickly said, “THANK YOU for making me feel like I was 18 again." It was astonishing how he was able to do this and still remain professional as his staff helped work on my foot and leg with his guidance   Beautiful person, brilliant man. Wonderful spirit.   

 

I wanted to share this story with you because I know that you could appreciate it.  Music continues to be a huge part of my life. And I THANK GOD for that and for this wonderful doctor. I am telling everyone I know what a great person he is. I have connected with something greater than myself through the oldies music which is so much a big part of me and my life.  As I know that it is for you as well. 

 

Thanks for reading this email.  I hope you like my story.  God Bless.

Sandy

 

So sorry to hear about your accident ... but it sounds like you couldn't have been in better hands when it came to the healing department.

 

Music is the universal language ... and its healing powers are second to none.  Just taking your mind off of everything else that was going on in your body at the time is really saying something.

 

Hope you're on the mend and start feeling better soon.  What's the prognosis for getting out of the wheelchair and being able to walk again?

 

A coworker of mine was in a MAJOR car accident over the 4th of July Weekend - got hit broadside by a truck that ran a red light - plowed into him and rolled HIS truck over twice.  They had to airlift him to a hospital in Milwaukee for surgery.  And he's nowhere near done yet ... he's about to have this third since being released.

 

Yet it really IS a miracle what doctors can do today in putting the body back together again.

 

Hang in there ... and keep those oldies playin' ... in your mind and in your heart!  (kk)