Friday, April 15, 2022

Insights Into ... ANNE MURRAY

Each and every month this year we'll be bringing you interviews that Jeff March and Marti Smiley-Childs have done in their excellent book series "Where Have All The Pop Stars Gone."

One of my personal all-time favorites in this series was their interview with Anne Murray.  (Anne is one of those artists that makes my list of performers I most regret never having seen in concert ... I always liked her music and still listen to it quite often.  I remember feeling sad to hear that she had officially retired when I first read Jeff's and Marti's interview with her.)

As such, I am VERY proud to share this piece with our readers today.  (kk)

That’s very kind of you, Kent. 

Persuading Anne to speak with us took some doing; she initially declined our request because she already had been retired for six years and values her privacy. But when she finally agreed eight months after our initial inquiry, she was conversational, relaxed and spoke candidly about her joys and regrets, answering all of our questions in rich detail. 

We really enjoyed speaking with her, and we’re glad that you recognize her stature as an entertainer and recording artist.

Sincerely,

Jeff, with regards from Marti

She was Elvis' favorite singer ... and she's certainly always been one of mine.

Read on.  (kk)


Insights into … Anne Murray

[28 Billboard Hot 100 singles, 1970–86; two certified RIAA gold]

Anne Murray in the early 1970s (photo by Sherman Hines, courtesy of Anne Murray)

Over the course of Anne Murray’s prolific hit-making career, she had major success as a recording artist, as a concert performer and in television. She recorded 37 studio albums that yielded 80 singles, and she won four Grammy Awards. Two of her singles earned gold records, and Anne’s albums yielded 15 gold records and nine platinum and multi-platinum awards.

During four decades, Anne received dozens of accolades and honors, including three American Music Awards; 25 Juno awards from the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, capped with her 1993 induction into the Juno Hall of Fame; three U.S. Country Music Association awards; 16 Academy of Country Music Awards, including “top female vocalist” in nine years; and three Canadian Country Music Association awards, including her 2002 induction into that organization’s Hall of Fame. That’s quite a string of accomplishments for a small-town Nova Scotian who had begun a career as a high school physical education teacher when fame eclipsed her.

Yet she didn’t consider herself a country music performer. She defied all attempts to pigeonhole her into any single radio format or musical style, as demonstrated in the disparate styles of her two singles that earned gold records – the bouncy, country-tinged “Snowbird” and the mature ballad “You Needed Me.” Anne’s success across divergent genres helped pave the way for Crystal Gayle, Olivia Newton-John, Shania Twain, Lee Ann Womack, and Taylor Swift to further blur the lines between country, pop, and adult contemporary.

She has recorded tunes written by a diverse spectrum of writers, including Kenny Rogers, Paul Williams, Gordon Lightfoot, Henry Mancini, Bobby Darin, Dave Loggins, and John Lennon and Paul McCartney. While many of her singles were a godsend to previously undiscovered songwriters, she had a knack for giving new life and a fresh perspective to already well-known songs previously recorded by the Everly Brothers, the Beatles, the Monkees, Dionne Warwick, and Glen Campbell. She became a bellwether for female crossover singers, even though she hadn’t set out to do so.

Introduction to American TV audiences

With sales of her first hit, “Snowbird,” approaching one million copies, Anne was invited in September of 1970 to do a guest spot on the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, a prime-time CBS television show. 

“Glen had heard ‘Snowbird,’ and he had heard my album, and he wanted me on the show. So I flew to California and walked into the studio scared out of my mind. Before the rehearsals, we went up to Glen’s dressing room, and the producers, the writers, everybody was there with him. Glen asked if I could sing harmony and I said, ‘Yes,’ so he started singing and I just jumped in with the harmonies, and we sang two or three songs. I could see everyone in the room relax, and everybody just went, ‘Oh yeah, oh yeah, this is going to work.’ Glen was so excited that I could do all of this stuff vocally, because he was such a great singer,” Anne said. Beginning with the October 4th episode, Anne was a guest on Glen’s show seven times during the 1970–71 season. “I was a semi-regular on his show for three years, and somewhere in there we decided it would be nice to do a duet album” [Anne Murray / Glen Campbell, which Capitol released in November 1971].

Anne’s passion

“I don’t think I had a passion for teaching. It was just something that was there and available to me. I love sports, and I thought teaching would be something I’d like, but the singing was a whole different kettle of fish – that was my passion. That was something I had to do, like breathing. So wherever I went, even in the school, I would sing with the choirs. There was a music teacher there, and he invited me to come to choir practices and be part of the school choirs. So any chance I could get to sing, I did.”

How stardom affected Anne’s personal life

“I would have a couple of hit records a year, but the record company would want me to churn out three a year, and it got to be too much. I was a workhorse, and I was working all the time. I worked way too hard, because I thought that’s what you had to do. Things suffered, but in those days, it was strike while the iron’s hot, and it just wore me out. If I had it to do over again, I would cut the number of albums in half, to make each one count. I don’t have a lot of regrets, except I wish I had dug my heels in and said, ‘I need some time with my family.’ I never would say that for myself, but I would say it for the family. The family really suffered and there were too many compromises. I kept thinking this is my job, and this is what I have to do, and I can’t stop. My daughter was born when I was at the very peak of my career, and I knew that my kids were going to suffer, and they did.”

Anne’s life since her 2008 retirement

“Forty years is long enough to do anything. I have kids, and now I have grandchildren, and I wanted to have some time with them. I wanted to have time with my kids and get to know them. And for the past several years, I have. I also play golf, and I do whatever I want to do. It was hard at first. It’s hard to retire. I can stop singing, but I can’t stop being Anne Murray, so there are charities, and lots of things that I do to keep me busy, so that’s what I do now.”


Anne Murray in 2015 (photo by Katy Ann Davidson, courtesy of Anne Murray)

The narrative and quotations in this article are excerpted from the book Where Have All the Pop Stars Gone? — Volume 3, by Marti Smiley Childs and Jeff March. This material is copyrighted © 2016 by EditPros LLC and may not be reproduced or redistributed without written permission.

You can read Jeff and Marti's complete interview with Anne Murray in their book "Where Have All The Pop Stars Gone, Volume 3," available here:  

https://www.editpros.com/WHATPSG_Vol_3.html

THE ANNE MURRAY HIT LIST

(from Billboard's Pop and Country Charts - stats courtesy Joel Whitburn's Record Research)

1970 - Snowbird  (#8 POP / #10 Country)

1971 - A Stranger In My Place (#122 POP / #27 Country)

1971 - Talk It Over in The Morning (#57 POP / #xx Country)

1971 - I Say A Little Prayer / By The Time I Get To Phoenix (medley with Glen Campbell)  #81 POP / #40 Country

1972 - Cotton Jenny (#71 POP / #11 Country)

1973 - Danny's Song (#7 POP / #10 Country)

1973 - What About Me (#64 POP / #20 Country)

1974 - Love Song (#12 POP / #8 Country) - *Grammy Winner - Best Country Female Vocal

1974 - He Thinks I Still Care (#xx POP / #1 Country)

1974 - You Won't See Me (#8 POP / #xx Country)

1974 - Son Of A Rotten Gambler (#xx POP / #5 Country)

1975 - Uproar (#xx POP / #28 Country)

1976 - The Call (#91 POP / #19 Country)

1976 - Golden Oldie (#xx POP / #41 Country)

1976 - Things (#89 Pop / #22 Country)

1978 - Walk Right Back (#103 POP / #4 Country)

1978 - You Needed Me (#1 POP / #4 Country) - *Grammy Winner - Best Pop Female Vocal / also American Country Music's Song Of The Year

1979 - I Just Fall In Love Again (#12 POP / #1 Country)

1979 - Shadows In The Moonlight (#25 POP / #1 Country)

1979 - Broken-Hearted Me  (#12 POP / #1 Country)

1980 - Daydream Believer (#12 POP / #3 Country)

1980 - Lucky Me (#42 POP / #9 Country)

1980 - I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (#64 POP / #23 Country)

1980 - Could I Have This Dance (#33 POP / #1 Country) - *Grammy Winner - Country Female Vocal

1981 - Blessed Are The Believers (#34 POP / #1 Country)

1981 - We Don't Have To Hold Out (#xx POP / #16 Country)

1981 - It's All I Can Do (#53 POP / #9 Country)

1982 - Another Sleepless Night (#44 POP / #4 Country)

1982 - Hey Baby (#xx POP / #7 Country)

1983 - Somebody's Always Saying Goodbye (#xx POP / #7 Country)

1983 - A Little Good News (#74 POP / #1 Country) - *Grammy Winner - Best Country Female Vocal / also Country Music Association's Single Of The Year

1984 - That's Not The Way It's S'posed To Be  (#106 POP / #46 Country)

1984 - Just Another Woman In Love (#xx POP / #1 Country)

1984 - Nobody Loves Me Like You Do (#103 POP / #1 Country) - duet with Dave Loggins

1985 - Time Don't Run Out On Me (#xx POP / #2 Country)

1985 - I Don't Think I'm ready For You (#xx POP / #7 Country)

1986 - Now And Forever (You And Me) #92 POP / #1 Country)

1986 - My Life's A Dance (#xx POP / #26 Country)

1987 - On And On  (#xx POP / #23 Country)

1987 - Are You Still In Love With Me (#xx POP / #20 Country)

1987 - Anyone Can Do The Heartbreak (#xx POP / #27 Country)

1989 - Slow Passin' Time (#xx POP / #36 Country)

1989 - If I Ever Fall In Love Again (#xx POP / #28 Country) duet with Kenny Rogers

1990 - Feed The Fire (#xx POP / #5 Country)

1991 - Bluebird (#xx POP / #39 Country)