Thursday, March 23, 2017

March 23rd

The highest debut this week (and for the year so far) belongs to The Monkees as their brand new single, "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" premiers in the #32 spot.  "Sunday For Tea" by Peter and Gordon bows at #70 and The Spencer Davis Group have a new single at #75 that will go on to become a classic rock staple … "I'm A Man", will be recorded by numerous artists over the years.  





Roger Miller premiers at #79 with "Walkin' In The Sunshine" and ? and the Mysterians, who topped the chart in 1966 with their first hit, "96 Tears", debuts in the #90 spot with a track called "Can't Get Enough Of You, Baby", a song that will gain far more recognition thirty years from now when it's covered by Smash Mouth.  



The Cyrkle perform "Turn Down Day" on "Where The Action Is".  Billy Stewart is also on hand.  



After spending fifteen hours in the recording studio yesterday, The Monkees are back at it today for another twelve hour session.  "For Pete's Sake" is recorded today.  It's a great Peter Tork tune (sung by Micky) that would play over the television show's closing credits during its second season.  They also worked further on "Shades Of Gray".  (Peter Tork explained that "Mike wrote the horn and cello parts for 'Shades Of Gray' and I notated them.  Mike wrote the two of 'em in his head and sang them to me.  I had to coach the French Horn Player on what to do.  By the time I got it done, I thought 'this is one of my favorite things that I've ever done.")