Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Insights Into ... PETER AND GORDON

Insights into … Peter and Gordon

[14 Billboard Hot 100 singles, 1964–67]

 

While the Beatles-led “British invasion” of 1964 infused the American pop music charts with scores of recordings by artists from the U.K., the Beatles shared the top position during the first half of ’64 with only one other British musical act: Peter and Gordon. The musical success of Peter and Gordon was ordained in a sense. At a time when anything bearing the Beatles imprint turned to gold, Peter Asher and Gordon Waller had the distinction of recording a new song by Beatles composers John Lennon and Paul McCartney. The song “A World Without Love” helped validate the music composition credentials of the Lennon-McCartney team while giving Peter and Gordon a career-launching, million-selling record.

Peter Asher and Gordon Waller met as teenagers at Westminster School in London, where they were students. After Waller and Asher discovered they shared an appreciation for the guitar and the silken harmonies of the Everly Brothers, they discovered they had more in common. Both had fathers who were physicians. Neither dreamed of becoming pop music stars.

Throughout their recording career, Peter and Gordon retained an association with the Beatles and collaborated with Paul McCartney in a celebrated bit of musical subterfuge. When unwavering fan loyalty planted seeds of doubt in Paul’s mind about the depth of his songwriting talent, he asked Peter and Gordon to consider recording a song he wrote under the assumed name of Bernard Webb. The song, “Woman,” became the seventh hit for Peter and Gordon. McCartney’s alias was quickly uncloaked because the publishing company’s paper trail wasn’t well concealed, but the appeal of “Woman” proved his intended point and reassured him of his lyrical talents.

Insights about the downside of fame

“I like all the very basic things in life, which is probably why I didn’t pursue the music career too damn seriously after Peter and I split up. I really wanted to do what I never had a chance as a teenager to do. For example, I couldn’t go down to a local pub and have a couple of pints, because I’d just get lynched. People would say, ‘Are you looking at my girlfriend?’ And I’d say, ‘No, I’m not, I wouldn’t bother.’ And then they’d hit you because you didn’t like their girlfriend.”

— Gordon Waller (died July 17, 2009)
singer and guitarist

Career changes

“I don’t really have any ambitions. All of the career changes that I’ve made have been unplanned. They were not the result of ambitions. When I was a university student I had no ambition to be a pop star, when I was a pop star I had no ambition to be a record producer, when I was a record producer I had no ambition to be a manager, and when I was a manager I had no ambition to become a senior record company executive. I have done a lot by succeeding at whatever I was doing by doing my best at it, but ambition has been more a function of the opportunity that presents itself. When there’s an opportunity to jump, I jump.”

— Peter Asher
singer and guitarist

“When I was selling office equipment, I worked myself up to a pretty powerful position. Nobody thought I would do it because I was an ex-pop star, but I said, ‘Just watch.’ And I think that was an achievement, because I really had to work at it. I had to work at being a little bit more polite to people, and I had to learn to control my impatient attitude.”

— Gordon Waller

Honesty

“I think my philosophy has always been the same. I find myself very uncomfortable with any kind of deceit. I’ve never been any good at it. My management company developed a reputation of being very straight ahead and honest. But that shouldn’t be the exception upon which to grow a reputation. In my estimation it doesn’t do any good to weave a web of confusion and deceit because it makes life too damned complicated. I can’t say that I’ve always told the truth, but one tells as much of the truth as possible without causing anyone tremendous upset or huge social disruption.”

— Peter Asher

Punctuality

“I do get very impatient. I hate being late for anything and I hate people being late for me. I do tend to lose my temper about it. Like when I’m with someone and it’s quarter to seven and we’ve got half an hour drive and we’re supposed to be there at seven, and they say, ‘Oh, don’t worry, everyone in California turns up late.’ And I say, ‘I don’t give a shit about people in California being late. If I say I’m going to be somewhere at 7, and it’s possible, I’m going to be there at 7.’ That’s just part of the stubborn Scotsman in me.”

— Gordon Waller

 

The narrative and quotations in this article are excerpted from the book Echoes of the Sixties, by Marti Smiley Childs and Jeff March. This material is copyrighted © 1999 by EditPros LLC and may not be reproduced or redistributed without written permission.  

Order your copy here:  https://www.editpros.com/echoes_ebook.html

I consider myself so fortunate to have had the opportunity to see Peter and Gordon perform live at one of the Chicagoland Beatlefests a few years back.  As it turns out, the performance I saw was just slightly before Gordon's passing.  Even then, they both still sounded great.  (The later day teaming of Peter and Jeremy ... as in Peter Asher and Jeremy Clyde of Chad and Jeremy fame ... is also a very entertaining show, featuring songs by both often-confused by the media duos.)

THE PETER AND GORDON HIT LIST:

1964 - A World Without Love (#1 US, #1 UK)

1964- Nobody I Know (#12 US,#10 UK)

1964 - I Don't Want to See You Again (#16 US, #xx UK)

1965 - I Go To Pieces (#4 US, #xx UK)

1965 - True Love Ways (#12 US, #2 UK)

1965 - To Know You Is To Love You (#24 US, #5 UK)

1965 - Baby I'm Yours (#xx US, #19 UK)

1966 - Woman (#12 US, #28 UK)

1966 - Lady Godiva (#5 US, #16 UK)

1967 - Knight In Rusty Armour (#12 US, #xx - UK)

1967 - Sunday For Tea (#22 US, #xx - UK)