Friday, July 12, 2013

Goosebumps Memories (Friday)

Kent,
I learned today and listened to songs I had never heard before and or hadn't heard in years.
One of your readers had a "goosebump" moment with a song by the Jordan Brothers. I had never heard of them, looked them up on the internet and played their song in question by your reader.  Same for today's "goosebump" moments by such artists as Pat Boone, Dore Alpert (that was a new one on me), Clusters (also a new one on me) and Spectors 3, a record I have but haven't played it in years.
Funny, none of these records gave me a "goosebump" upon hearing them just now, but then again, as the old saying goes, "one person's trash is another person's treasure".
Larry

As you know, a lot of these goosebumps moments are tied to simply the right song at exactly the right time.
We covered The Jordan Brothers in great depth back in 2009 ... in fact, we even heard from Frank Jordan in response to our piece.  (Google it on the website ... we did a recap piece on March 11, 2009.)  In it, we featured their version of "Gimme Some Lovin'", the Spencer Davis Group classic hit which actually came out here in America before the Davis hit did!  Several people have written in over the years to comment on this one ... a rare case of a cover version beating the original to the charts.  (Except The Jordan Brothers' version never officially charted!)
Country Paul actually send us clips of both the Pat Boone and the Dore Alpert tracks ... we may share those soon in another context.  
I just think it's neat to see how different music affects different people ... yet we are all moved by it just the same.  Might not be the same song or the same artist ... or even the same era ... but the power of music cannot be denied.  (kk)


There are so many classic songs that give me goosebumps, but these two in particular still manage it nicely.  I think Phil Phillips & the Twilighters 'Sea of Love' is one of the most beautiful and haunting doo wop songs to have come out of the '50s (here come the goosebumps and it's only playing inside my head.)  The second one is The Who's 'I Can't Explain'.  Though it didn't chart in North America, I heard the song on CHUM 1050 (a program called the Liverpool School, as I recall).  It transported me to a crowded cellar club in England at the height of the British Invasion, exactly where I wished I could be at that particular time.  
I love hearing about other peoples' goosebumps songs, so thanks for running this series, Kent - it was a great idea! Marie

A few (of many) goosebumps moments: 
  • "Do I Love You" by the Ronettes -- The song's opening is a Spector masterpiece, as is the rest of the song.
  • "Worst That Could Happen" by the Brooklyn Bridge -- Every time I hear Johnny Maestro sing that opening word, "Girl ..." it sends a bit of a chill down the back.
  • "Dusty" by the Rag Dolls -- An obscure song, but again it was the song's opening that got me hooked as well as the gal's harmonies and the Four Seasons-esque sound ... which leads (obviously) to ...
   • "Rag Doll" and "Who Loves You" by the Four Seasons -- 
Can you tell I'm a sucker for good song openings?
Uncle T. Jay @ The Vinyl Arkhives
"Rag Doll" hooked me on first listen, too ... but, as mentioned yesterday, some of that has to be credited to that "Be My Baby" opening!  (kk)


Hi Kent, 
The first song I can remember triggering an “Oh Wow!” kind of response was hearing Don’t Worry Baby when I was ten or eleven.  That one started a lifelong love of harmony driven music.  I also specifically remember the couple of weeks in 65 or 66 when Andrea by the Sunrays was in the top three in Chicago being  counted down by Art Roberts at 10 pm each night.  (transistor under the pillow time!)  I loved that song and never tracked down a copy of it until I was a college DJ 12 years later!  Other goosebump moments came  from the Shames Scratch in the Sky album and especially hearing Could Be We’re in Love the first time.  However my hands down favorite goosebump moment came in 1988  when I purchased Brian Wilson’s initial solo album at a record store (remember those?) which was next door to the place I was picking up my family’s pizza dinner.  On my way home I popped the disc in the car CD player and heard the vocal bridge to Love and Mercy which blew me away and  caused me to drive around replaying it for about two hours completely forgetting that I had the family’s pizza dinner in the car! 
Mark

 

Kent - 
There have been so many, this is why I did not reply. But let me say this ... without music I could not exist. When I am depressed, pissed or stressed, I go for a run (at my age it is more of a half run / half walk) with my i-pod loaded with music and life seems to get a lot better. 
But let's get to the subject on hand ... my goose bump moment was today. I finally saw this rockumentary  "Searching for Sugar Man". Let me tell you, if you like good music, please rent it. It is a story about Rodriguez, a man who had two albums out in the States in the early 70's and never made it, but was reviled as a living legend in South Africa. A few musicologists track him down after 25 years and in 1998 he finally received a hero's welcome in South Africa. If you love music and a great story please rent this movie!!!!!!!!!! It gave me goosebumps! 
Now after the movie my friend Ivan and I went downstairs to learn more about him. He seems to be doing well and playing concerts all over the world. I am so glad for this humble man.  
Now for the exciting ending ... in reading about him, I found out today, July 10th, is his birthday ... how's that for karma! 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIXTO RODRIGUEZ ... you now have two more fans! 
Mike De Martino 
President of the Lovejoy Music Club
I've been hearing quite a bit about this film lately but still haven't seen it.  Yours sounds like a pretty glowing recommendation!  Thanks, Mike!  (kk)   

Hi Kent, 
I’m a bit late with my goosebump songs but there are three that stand out for me. 
First would be The Beatles, “I’ve Just Seen A Face” where the simple line “ … had it been another day, I might have looked the other way and I’d have never been aware, but as it is, I’ll dream of her tonight … ” really struck me and made me literally look around and BE aware of my surroundings and people I might not have noticed before. The Second and Third songs share a group and vocalist: The Eagles, “Take It to the Limit” and “Try and Love Again”, both featuring Randy Meisner on lead vocal. Take It to the Limit with it’s grand orchestration, incredible vocals and sweeping, dramatic ending fade is a song that blew me away upon first hearing and I will always stop and listen to it if I happen to catch a now rare radio airplay of it. Try and Love Again came along after a heartbreak or two as a young man and just grabbed me immediately. “Well it might take years, to see through all these tears, don’t let go, when you find it you will know”… such a great lyric, so sad and hopeful at the same time. The song is also a great example of the country-rock scene of the late ‘70s, of which I was a big fan. Anytime I hear any of these three songs I stop and enjoy the goosebumps!    
Thanks for all you do and congrats on the two million “hits” on the site! 
Eddie Burke 
Orange, CT
I'm surprised to hear "Take It To The Limit" is such a rarity up in your neck of the woods ... we seem to hear it several times a day ... EVERY day ... here in Chicago!  Several folks have cited this one as a goosebumps song, so there must be something to that.  (kk)
 
Congratulations, Kent, on achieving over two Million hits!
Goosebump Moments ... I love the idea!  I already responded but beg to be able to add another ... how fortunate are we to have experienced the birth and growth of Rock 'N Roll, and its marvelous siblings Folk, Hard Rock, C&W and all iterations.
I vividly recall hearing for the first time "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin late on a summer evening in Kenmore Square Boston, after leaving the area's "Hot Spot" nightclub Lucifers.  I had been brought up on late 40's music and truly loved all the Teen Idols and the mostly innocent music they offered, then WHAM!!! I heard that marvelous stereophonic song zigging and zagging across my cars radio speakers! I was emerging as a person ... I can still experience the amazement I felt. The way they mixed that song or whatever they did made it come alive in the cabin of my Pony Car ... talk about GOOSEBUMPS! I still get them whenever I listen to it. Talk about expanding the mind ... it certainly expanded my joy if music! '69 ... a seminal year!
Keep them coming!!!
CharlieOFD    

The opening arpeggio of “The End Of The World” by Skeeter Davis. And then when her voice hits, captured so elegantly by Chet Atkins. It floats above the backing track and is as ethereal today as the first time I heard it 50 years ago. I can’t do anything but listen when that record is playing. She’s charmingly just off the note, making her sound all the more vulnerable. It’s heaven every time. 
I actually got backstage at the Grand Ole Opry back in the early 90’s when Skeeter was performing and found her in her dressing room, reading the Bible. I gave her a hug and thanked her for all her great records … especially that one. She asked me to sit down and we chatted for a few minutes. What a sweet lady. Goosebumps, indeed.
Lou Simon
Sirius / XM


I really enjoy reading Forgotten Hits. I like all kinds of music, from the 50's thru the 70's. I've bought and sold records since the late 1960's. So I've listened to a lot of music. So although your followers may not understand my choices, none the less, they are my "Goosebump moments".   
The first goosebump record I remember was in the 1950's. My introduction to 1950's Doo Wop. Earth Angel, by the Penguins. And although there have been many songs over the years, I will choose as my second, Mystery Train - By Elvis Presley.
Thanks. 
Arnold Kirkbride
See, that's the really great thing about this music ... NOBODY is in a position to judge what song(s) gave YOU goosebumps ... because we all have our own moments ... we all have our special memories ... and because we all understand just how this music made us feel, we can totally relate to the music that moved you, no matter what it is!
Take a look at the two examples shown above ... could you come up with two more diverse pieces of music?  Yet, guess what ... I loved 'em both ... bought 'em both ... and they both moved me in different ways and for different reasons. It's all part of the common bond we share amongst us ... and that's the special magic of this music.  So who cares if my taste is better than yours!!! (just kidding)  We can totally relate ... we get it ... 'cause we know how it feels.  (kk)

I cannot believe how many people have mentioned "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in goosebump moments.  "She Loves You" just blows that song away, even then.  IT was the one who had the kids shaking heads and screaming "Woo" and IT was the one making kids sing "Yeah Yeah Yeah."  "Hand" was the breakthrough, but the older song was the true champion, IMO.  And we all know what FH readers think of the B side, too!
I totally agree, Clark ... even moreso in hindsight.  And, you just triggered yet another childhood memory.
It was early 1964 and we were visiting my Grandmother up in Deerfield.  At this point, all of America had Beatlemania ... they'd done their three shows on Ed Sullivan and the entire world was theirs for the taking.
While we were there, my Dad suggested that we "entertain" Grandma by singing a Beatles song ... so me and my two brothers (between us, all of 10, 8 and 7!) sang "She Loves You", over-exaggerating the "Woo"'s and head-shaking.  It had to look ridiculous, all three of us with dad-enforced crewcuts!!!  But she LOVED it and asked us to do it again ... which, of course, we did, even more vigorously this time around.  When we did the song for the third time, each of us put something on our heads to simulate Beatle-hair and shook it hard enough to throw these objects across the room.  By now I had what can only be described as a Stuart Sutcliffe-sized headache (and the world didn't even know who Stu WAS at the time!!!), not to mention nearly falling down dizziness.  That was enough for me ... but at least all the folks were sufficiently entertained.
Yep, "She Loves You" was the one that spoke an international language.  "Yeah, yeah, yeah" has been part of the vocabulary ever since.  (And to think Paul's dad told them that they really should change it to "Yes, yes, yes"!!!  lol)
Speaking of crewcuts ... and the immediate impact of The Beatles and their hair ... the very next day after their first Ed Sullivan performance, my Dad took us all for haircuts.  The big joke at the barber shop that day was if we all wanted "Beatles cuts" instead.  That's because literally the entire world watched them perform on The Ed Sullivan Show the night before.  And you just knew it ... that's what life was like back then ... EVERYBODY watched the same programs ... so everybody could relate and was "in" on the joke.  I immediately volunteered to let my hair grow out and do the Beatles cut next visit ... but Dad wasn't having any of that!!! (Yep, I was ten ... and already rebelling authority!  lol)  Guess who won THAT argument.  (kk)     

Kent, 
The goosbumps moments theme is obviously a 'stone cold smash'  ... congratulations on another Forgotten Hits winner!
Fred 

We've been talking to a couple of the disc jockeys on the list about incorporating this feature into their programming, similar to what we did with the "First 45's" a few years ago.
Seems everybody LOVES telling their own story ... what a GREAT way to make your program more listener-friendly and interactive.  (What fan out there wouldn't love to hear their story on the radio ... in their very own words?)  
Yes folks, you're witnessing programming genius right before your very eyes!!!  Now who's with me out there???  (kk)