Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Tuesday This And That

The Illinois Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inducted their first class this past week after multiple delays due to Covid 19.

The inaugural class included Dick Biondi, The Buckinghams, Cheap Trick, Chess Records, Chicago, Buddy Guy, Larry Lujack, Jim Peterik and The Ides Of March, REO Speedwagon, Muddy Waters and WLS Radio AM.

The ceremony took place on Tuesday, August 31st.

While we were not able to attend, it sounds like it was a festive evening of entertainment.  We want to extend our congratulations to all of the inductees.  (kk)

Hey Kent ...

Just heard today about Larry Lujack being indoctrinated into the Illinois Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. This is just nice news to hear that this happened as he was clearly (in my eyes) the “best there ever was on the air at WLS,” especially in those early days. 

Good old Uncle Lar … I loved the guy ... plus I gave him a ton of on-air material to use by just being the baby-faced night kid on WLS.   

Fun times –

P.S. This  link / article came out yesterday via the Illinois Entertainer ... it may give you some material for Forgotten Hits.

Stay safe ...

Kris Erik

https://illinoisentertainer.com/2021/08/media-september-2021-the-big-89-to-hollywood/

Kris Erik Stevens’s arrival in Chicago in the late ’60s involved a bit of serendipity.

“I was on my way from San Francisco to a gig I had just taken in Pittsburgh, and I stopped in Chicago along the way to see an old buddy of mine, Lyle Dean, who I had worked with in Omaha. I said I wanted to meet the program director. Lyle said, “Well, he’s the guy you just brushed off on the way in here. You didn’t even say hello.’ I thought, ‘Oh No!’ So I ran down the hall and went into his office and said, ‘Mr. Rook, I’m so sorry; I always wanted to meet you.’ And I introduced myself. He told me that he had heard a lot of good things about me. Sure enough, after I was in Pittsburgh for about four months, he gave me a call, and before I knew it, I was on WLS.”

Having grown up in Michigan listening to the station, it was a dream come true.

“I used to copy those guys while I was doing an all-night show in high school. I loved Chicago. I loved the people. To me, that is where I always wanted to be. It was a big-time radio station. I was on the air at night on the best station, WLS, and the signal was carried all over the country. I mean, it covered everything. It was unbelievable the reach it had. I could hear it in California.”

Stevens has very fond memories of his three years in Chicago.

“Working with people like Larry Lujack. That was a pleasure. Larry and I got along really well. He had a lot of material to work with regarding me, I’m afraid. WLS had a great environment. They let you be you. I made a lot of personal appearances and met a lot of people, and of course, it opened the doors for me because people now knew who I was. It’s what made the rest of my career possible.”

He also had a taste of the famous WLS - WCFL rivalry, although he never really considered it contentious.

“When (program director) John Rook left WLS, they brought a new clown in, and he wasn’t a fan of mine — I was a little too much for him, and before I knew it, I was on the outside looking in. Looking for a new job. So I went down to Miami and became a program director. And then, Rook called me again and said, ‘I’m going back into Chicago at WCFL. Come join me, and let’s beat WLS.’ But honestly, other than that, I never really thought about the rivalry between the two stations or the ratings when I was in Chicago. When I was on WLS, we were always #1. We had Larry. John Rook was a great program director, and he really knew what he was doing. Then when Lujack and I both went to WCFL with John Rook, we beat WLS, so it wasn’t really a big issue for me.”

But after a nomadic radio career that had brought him from Michigan to Omaha to San Francisco to Pittsburgh to Miami, and Chicago twice, after his WCFL stint, Stevens finally decided it was time to “give up the inflatable furniture.”

“When I left WCFL, I said to myself, that’s it. No more radio for me. I’m done. I want to go into movies, and I know I can do that. So I went to LA without a job, and I did put it together there. I met a lady, and settled down, and created my own business.”

That business included many high-level voice-over acting in everything from commercials to trailers to cartoons (The Smurfs and Richie Rich). But it included radio work, too.

“I did a show called Entertainment Coast to Coast via satellite every Saturday night. I conceptualized it and wrote it, and movie stars came to us. We interviewed big-time celebrities for that show. It opened so many doors. I did a deal with Universal Pictures with the Rolling Stones for their movie Let’s Spend the Night Together. They wanted a nationwide radio special to coincide with the release. I flew to Paris to talk to Mick and Keith. Then I went to London to interview Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman, and then to New York to interview Ron Wood, and then flew back to LA to put the program together.”

Kris and the movie have remained constant companions ever since.

“For ten years, I was the voice of MovieTunes. I was partnered with Robert Kardashian. His daughter Kim used to come over to pick up the tapes from me after I recorded them. We were in every movie theater in America. That was great exposure.”

Despite going bigtime in Hollywood, does Stevens stay in touch with his old Chicago friends?

“(Former WLS colleague) Fred Winston and I have always been close. I still talk to him all the time. He puts me on the floor — the funniest guy I know. I stay in touch with Chuck Buell from my WLS days. I was looking forward to seeing them — there was talk of a WLS reunion happening right before the pandemic. It’s just another one of those things that didn’t happen.”

To read more about what has happened to Kris Erik Stevens, check out his website at www.kriserikstevens.com.

-Rick Kaempfer

This is SO cool … thanks for sending, Kris Erik!  (kk)

And Tom Cuddy sent this piece from Chicago’s ABC 7 coverage …

Illinois Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts 1st class including Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Chicago - ABC7 Chicago

https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-chicago-muddy-waters-reo-speedwagon/10991322/

Several of the inductees were on hand to celebrate and perform.  Dennis Tufano accepted the award for The Buckinghams, as they were out on tour at the time.  (Having this on a weeknight made it difficult for all of us who have been waiting to attend ... especially all the way out in Joliet ... but hopefully once Covid allows things to get back to normal again, we can make our way out there and tour the new facility.)  kk

Had he lived, Buddy Holly would have turned 85 today. (September 7th)  

The catalog of music he left us is staggering … in just two short years, Holly (with and without The Crickets) hit The National Top 40 eight times:

1957 – That’ll Be The Day (#1)

1958 – Peggy Sue (#2)

1958 – Oh Boy (#7)

1958 – Maybe Baby (#9)

1958 – Rave On (#37)

1958 – Think It Over (#27)

1958 – Early In The Morning (#23)

1959 – It Doesn’t Matter Anymore (#13)

In addition, many of his non-charted hits went on to become hits for others for decades to come.  (“Everyday,” “Not Fade Away,” “Well All Right,” “True Love Ways,” “Words Of Love,” “Crying, Waiting, Hoping,” “I’m Looking For Someone To Love,” “It’s So Easy,” “Love’s Made A Fool Of You,” “Peggy Sue Got Married” and many others.)

His contribution to The History Of Rock And Roll cannot be overstated.  We miss you, Buddy … and often wonder how much more great music you may have given us were it not for that fateful plane crash on February 3, 1959.  Buddy was only 22 years old at the time.  (kk)

From Frank B …

Damn, I guess we should have chipped in on THIS one, too! (kk)

kk …

Elvis Is Still The King.

FB

Elvis Presley’s White Eyelet Jumpsuit From 1972 New York Concert Sold – Deadline https://deadline.com/2021/09/elvis-presley-white-jumpsuit-1972-madison-square-garden-sold-auction-1234827620/?fbclid=IwAR0dtA6EKu1ZxptLAqu_ryDNqo9mKYhEj_WwD5yBhkiudzuJMl4luqi-zSs

Nancy Sinatra’s been making music headlines again this past week …

Besides an article written by our FH Buddy Harvey Kubernik in Record Collector Magazine, Light In The Attic has just announced the rerelease of Nancy’s “Boots” album … in CD, vinyl and even 8-Track Tape configurations!  (I’ve gotta admit that it IS kinda cool to see Nancy in her vintage poses again!)

The eleven original tracks are here, along with two bonus tracks culled for this special reissue …

Side A

1.    As Tears Go By

2.    Day Tripper

3.    I Move Around

4.    It Ain’t Me Babe

5.    These Boots Are Made For Walkin’

6.    In My Room

7.    Lies

Side B

1.    So Long, Babe

2.    Flowers On The Wall

3.    If He’d Love Me

4.    Run For Your Life

5.    The City Never Sleeps At Night (Reprise single 0432, 1965) (*)

6.    For Some (previously unreleased) (*)

Read all about the new CD release (and other planned titles in this series) here:

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/08/30/and-thats-just-what-theyll-do-nancy-sinatras-boots-returns-from-light-in-the-attic/

Pick up a copy of the October issue of Record Collector Magazine and check out Harvey’s article in!

Harvey also celebrates what would have been Billy Preston’s 75th birthday … and is induction into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame!

Billy Preston on His Career and Touring With the Stones | Best Classic Bands

Speaking of Billy Preston, Tom Cuddy tells us about an upcoming documentary and box set honoring this grossly underrated musician …

Billy Preston, the “5th Beatle,” Would Have Turned 75 Today, Featured in Upcoming Doc and Box Set
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/09/02/billy-preston-the-5th-beatle-would-have-turned-75-today-featured-in-upcoming-doc-and-box-set

Watch for a new Janet Jackson documentary next year as well.  The program will air over two nights on both the Lifetime and A&E networks and celebrates the 40th anniversary of Janet’s first album.  (She was all of 16 at the time!)  She says the film is being made on her terms.  “This is my story being told by me … not through someone else’s eyes.”  Filming was done in 2018 (the year her father passed away.)  No official air date has been announced yet.  (kk)

Ronnie Rice will be performing at The Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Saturday, November 13th.  Tickets are on sale now thru the theatre box office.

And don’t forget to order your tickets for the Dick Biondi 89th Birthday  Bash, happening September 19th at The Arcada Theatre.

Check out the list of performers who’ll be on hand to help raise funds for The Dick Biondi Documentary …

Get Your Tix here: The Dick Biondi Big 89! Birthday Bash - VIP EXPERIENCE - Arcada Theatre (arcadalive.com)

We told you before about the deluxe 50th Anniversary Edition of The Doors’ LP “L.A. Woman” coming out.

Well, it looks like our FH Buddy Chuck Buell was instrumental in helping getting sales and airplay for this landmark LP …

And even has the Gold Record Award to prove it!  (WTG, Chuck!)  kk

From Geoff Lambert …

The Zombies will give a concert from London's Abbey Road Studios covering both classic hits and brand new songs, to be streamed live worldwide on September 18th, 2021, from Veeps.com. The band's line-up includes original members Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone.

Hey there -
Let me start by saying that I was in high school when the Guess Who became stars. I was in love with their music. Fast forward to the split, and I went to see Burton Cummings solo, and Melissa Manchester was his opening act. I was pregnant and named my daughter Melissa. I got caught up in life and about ten years ago I saw an ad in a local paper that someone had a ticket for his show in St. Charles, IL, and it was affordable. I got in touch with the fan who was selling, and he actually was able to juggle things around and was able to get good seats for myself and my husband both. The show was fantastic.
I was accepted into this close group of people who followed him around the country and into Canada. They were all very nice. I retired and was able to go to some of the shows in other states. It was all very fun and in the last few years I began to notice a few weird things. I hope you have a little time, but I'll try to make it brief.
In one of his 'Up Close And Personal' tours, he spent some time talking about 'Glamour Boy,' and sort of disparaged David Bowie, who is another one of my favorites. I don't care, black, white, gay, trans, whatever, I love music. I went to another show after Bowie died, and Cummings totally changed the story to he had written it to honor Bowie and his diversity. I shook my head saying 'huh'?
Then I read what he did to Randy and the ownership of their songs. Awful. I hope he settled things with Randy before this tour. 
I did watch a bit of the show on Saturday, and the part that I saw, Randy was talking about some old times, and BC had his back to Randy and was talking to other people and basically not paying any attention. 
I don't think he puts out any new music because he lives off of the oldies. I don't think he's capable of writing music, only lyrics. He's an old has-been and from what I've seen personally, he still drinks heavily and smokes and it's killing his voice. 
Thanks for listening, and you're right, he needs to retire!  He acts very humble on stage, but is very full of himself. 

Susan Sheehan

Addressing a couple of your points …

I, too, was at that Burton Cummings / Melissa Manchester show … FANTASTIC!!!

Burton had just gone out on his own and put on a KILLER show of new material and Guess Who favorites … and after seeing her live in concert, I went out and bought ALL of Melissa Manchester’s albums.  I have seen her a couple of times since.

As for the whole “Glamour Boy” thing, I saw The Guess Who several times during this era … and Burton was VERY outspoken all the artists who had picked up on the whole Glam Rock thing and were wearing outrageous outfits on stage.  (For the past ten years, he’ll typically wear a rock and roll t-shirt picturing some other band’s logo and comment to the crowd, “For the most part, you guys are better dressed out there than we are up here!”

But he regularly slammed artists like David Bowie and Alice Cooper for their outrageousness and how it was polluting rock and roll as we knew it.

Imagine my surprise when two years later he was opening up for Alice Cooper!!!  (I imagine a little bit of crow had to be eaten for THAT tour!!!)

I would have never gone to see Alice on my own … but have to admit that he put on a very entertaining show.

For the past couple of decades, Burton has lashed out on stage at the other members of The Guess Who who legally own the name.  There really ought to be a law of some sort that prevents that from happening.  They are NOT The Guess Who … not the band that we all love and remember.  NOTHING is more attached to this band than this voice … there isn’t anyone else in rock and roll history to match it … and how The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame can justify their existence without inducting The Guess Who is beyond me.  Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here!!!

As for not writing any new material, Burton actually HAS released a few new things over the past 10-12 years … they’re just extremely hard to come by as most have been Canada-only releases … but if you search hard enough, you can find them.  When it comes to performing live, this is a guy who can certainly rest on his laurels.  You hear his music EVERY SINGLE DAY for well over 50 years now … he doesn’t have to EVER write another song.  (Look at Billy Joel … he’s done a dozen albums of new material in his entire career … yet still sells out Madison Square Garden every single month, just playing his hits!)

ALL of that being said, Burton Cummings has been a top-notch entertainer in my book for as long as he’s been around … nobody can touch him.  I, too, have expressed my concerns about the state of his voice these days … and previously about perhaps a recurring drinking problem … but I’m told he’s all-right and, in that he’s posted the bulk of the concert on his own Facebook Page, I can only assume that he is satisfied with his performance … and, if this is the case, far be it from me to criticize any further.  (As you know, I’ve already excised several paragraphs of your original email to keep this whole thing as “professional” and respectful as possible.  MY big beef was if he realized what he sounded like that night … and if that would measure up to his own personal standards.  Apparently, he does … and it does … so at this point I can only back away.  (Hey, I’ve been complaining about the deterioration of Paul McCartney’s voice for twenty years now … yet he still sells out every show!)  kk

‘60’s FLASHBACK:

I asked Burton Cummings about touring with Alice Cooper when we did our FH interview in 2013 (specifically in regards to The Guess Who song “Glamour Boy”) …

FORGOTTEN HITS:  I’ve got to tell you that one of the STRANGEST pairings I’ve ever seen was a show that YOU did back in the day during the early solo years where Burton Cummings opened up for Alice Cooper!!!  How weird did THAT have to be for you (especially after the whole “Glamour Boy” thing?!?!?)

[EDITOR’S NOTE:  “Glamour Boy,” while not a big hit here in The States, was a #11 Hit back home in Canada.  In it, Burton takes a musical swipe at some of the Glam-Rock / Theater Rock that was going on at the time … more specifically, artists like David Bowie, The New York Dolls and … well … Alice Cooper!!! … although he never actually mentions ANY of them by name. -kk]

BURTON CUMMINGS:  Opening for Alice Cooper was an exercise in professionalism.  The first few rows were always painted up like Alice, some of them carrying tomahawks and axes, an I’m out there singing “Stand Tall” … but eventually the band I had won over a lot of audiences.

Cousin Brucie is posting more of his Saturday Night Rock And Roll Party interviews here … Cousin Brucie's Saturday Night Rock & Roll Party | 77 WABC (wabcradio.com)

Another Alan Freed Concert Poster, courtesy of Frank B …

Also …

Check out this Doo-Wop Poster …

And the spelling of Doo-Wop!

(must have been trying to draw in a heavily Italian crowd at the time!)

After all our recent Bill Haley talk, I just couldn’t resist this one!

And from Frank B …

When I saw this Kent, I immediately thought of you. 

In case you haven't seen it, here it is on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=4252670548101801&set=gm.3062669467341801

Thanks for all you do each and every day.

Bill T.

Happy 84th Birthday, Dolores Erickson!

Here’s Dolores in 2012, holding the Herb Alpert Tijuana Brass album cover she posed for in 1965 – album photo by Peter Whorf


Fun Fact - Erickson wore a bikini for the shoot and was surrounded by cotton batting and many cans’ worth of shaving cream, because actual whipped cream turned runny and smelly under hot lights. She was also three months pregnant at the time of the photo shoot.

Actually, yes, we’ve run this photo several times before … but if it was Dolores’ 84th birthday recently, then how can we not wish her a happy one???

84 candles on the cake …

And a ton of whipped cream on top!

Happy Birthday, Delores! (kk)

I found your blog and saw the letter Tom Konard sent to you a long time ago.

Anyway, in case you didn't know, Tom passed away on August 24th this year.

He was buried in Belgium. 

As far as we know, all of his tapes, etc., were thrown out by his son in law.

If you would like to know more, feel free to contact me … I was friends with him for over 40 years.  We will miss him.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn – I am sorry for your loss.

I had to go back and see in what context we talked to or about Tom and found this link below so that others can view it, too.

It’s always such a shame when somebody devotes so much of their life collecting something … something that is unique and meaningful to themselves along … only to have that life’s work be discarded without a care.  We’ve seen too many readers leave us over the years, some with INCREDIBLE and extensive collections that now no one will ever see.  As long as we’ve been doing this, we’d LOVE to be able to display some of this material … but it simply isn’t practical.  Short of a museum of some sort (and we HAVE talked about that from time to time) where this material could be displayed where OTHERS could enjoy it, too, far too much of it just fades to dust.  A shame really, as it truly is irreplaceable. 

Thanks for writing.  I appreciate it.  (kk)

Forgotten Hits: This And That (forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com)

THOUGHTS:  Too many long-time FH List Members have left us over time … Clark Weber and his extensive personal collection, Bill Hengels, a local collector of WLS and WCFL charts to the point of eventually collecting every single one … Ron Smith, whose calendar book and Chicagoland Chart Books contain invaluable information.  I would have LOVED to have access to this material to share with our readers, who I know would have relished the opportunity just to see it.  So sad.  (kk)

I thought this was an interesting piece on banned songs …

Ken Voss

These Songs were Banned from the Radio for the Weirdest Reasons

By Brian Delpozo

Imagine – John Lennon

While many see John Lennon’s “Imagine” as an ode to world peace, some more politically conservative stations have banned the song due to its supposed espousing of communist ideology, specifically lines about “no religion” and “no possessions”.  In addition, the song was dropped from Clear Channel playlists after the 9/11 attacks.

Louie, Louie – The Kingsmen

The Kingsman’s “Louie, Louie” is one of the most controversial songs of all time… for no actual reason. Throughout the 1960s, the song was banned and even investigated by the FBI because authorities believed that the song’s incomprehensible lyrics contained uncouth lyrics. The song still stirs controversy in the 21st century. In 2005, a high school superintendent banned marching band from performing the song over its lyrics… despite the fact that the band was planning to play it instrumentally.

Like a Prayer – Madonna

Madge’s 1989 smash single faced boycotts from religious groups, including the Vatican, due to the allegedly blasphemous content in the song’s lyrics and music video. While the song was still a chart hit, the pressure led to Pepsi canceling an endorsement deal using the song.

Rolling in the Deep – Adele

While Adele is certainly not known for courting controversy, she did face issues with one of her biggest hits. The officially released lyrics for “Rolling” in the Deep” contain the usage of the word “ship.” However, many listeners believed Adele was belting out an expletive that sounded awfully similar to “ship” leading to numerous complaints. Adding fuel to the fire, Adele replaces the word with “stuff” on televised performances. It was eventually revealed that Adele’s handwritten lyrics did indeed feature the offending curse word.

If You Seek Amy – Britney Spears

Always one to court controversy, Britney Spears had cultural pundits and radio stations alike up in arms over her 2009 single “If You Seek Amy”. Why? Well, say the title five times fast. Due to the titular entendre, the song’s original title was banned by U.S. radio stations, who referred to the song as “If You See Amy”.

Eminem – The Real Slime Shady

Eminem was controversial in the early 2000s that a Colorado radio station was fined by the FCC for playing the CLEAN version of “The Real Slim Shady.” Despite having all of the questionable language removed, the FCC had put guidelines in place which stated that “context and innuendo alone could get a station in trouble for violating its decency standards.”

The Kinks – Lola

While you may be thinking “Lola” was banned due to its narrative about a romantic encounter with a cross-dresser, the actual reason the BBC banned The Kinks’ track is much stranger. The station felt that the lyrics “Where they drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola” could count as free advertising which was strictly against the BBC’s rules as a non-commercial station. This forced the band to re-record the song with the lyrics changed to “cherry cola.”

Juicy - Notorious B.I.G.

When Notorious B.I.G.’s single Juicy dropped in 1997, the line “Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade” – which compared the rappers quick rise to fame to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing – was a tongue-in-cheek, if in slightly bad taste,  New York reference. However, after 9/11, the line led to the song being pulled off the radio.

Physical – Olivia Newton John

Olivia Newton John’s “Physical” faced criticism for both its lyrics (many radio stations refused to play the song due to certain raunchy lyrics) and its video (which showed a same-sex couple holding hands). Of course, neither stopped the song from being an era-defining hit.

In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins

Phil Collins’s “In the Air Tonight” may seem like an odd song to ban, there are no blatantly objectionable lyrics themes, however, the song has been pulled from radio not once, but twice. Each time (in 1991 during the Gulf War, and 2001 just after 9/11) this was directed to perceived lyrical references to the Middle East.

WAP – Cardi B

Cardi B’s WAP proved to be one of the most controversial released songs in decades. The track’s celebration of female sexuality in somewhat graphic terms angered pundits and radio stations who considered it an affront to American morality.

Baby It’s Cold Outside

Songwriter Frank Loesser’s Baby It’s Cold Outside earned him an Academy Award in 1949, and went on to become an often-covered classic of the Holiday Season. However, in recent years the song has come under fire for its lyrics, which are seen by many as a description and endorsement of a non-consensual sexual encounter. The song has been banned by many radio stations in the United States and Canada, despite protests.

Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison

While many modern listeners would likely think of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” as a sweet, innocent song, it saw controversy at the time of its release due to the lyric “making love in the green grass.” Many radio stations refused to play the track, which was quickly replaced with an edited version that replaced the offending line with a repeat of the “laughin’ and a-runnin’ hey hey” line from earlier in the song.

Beach Boys – God Only Knows

Believe it or not, The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows” was banned by numerous radio stations across the United States in 1966, mainly due to the fact that the song actually used the word “God” in its title. Despite songwriter Brian Wilson confirming that the title isn’t a reference to any specific “higher force” or religion, the use of the word was still seen as blasphemous.

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow –The Shirelles

“Will You Love Me Tomorrow”, written by the legendary team of Carole King and Gerry Goffin, was a huge hit for The Shirelles. However, the song also earned its fair share of controversy given the lyrical implication of a one-night stand, which was taboo at the time.

What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong’s iconic “What a Wonderful World” was included on Clear Channel’s post-9/11-banned list because the song was too happy. On some level, the sentiment is understandable, but it’s also a sad testament to the state of the world.

Well, there are a few new ones on me on this list (and I can probably think of a dozen more that SHOULD be listed here) … but always interesting food for thought.  (kk)

While we were having all of our computer problems this past week (I’d say we’re about 60% recovered right now, but will be working on catching up every day for a while yet), we missed a few timely reports.  Even those some of these events have already passed, they’re still cool to read out.  (By the way, we’re still nowhere NEAR out of the woods with Blogger … I have absolutely NO idea what’s going on there … but virtually EVERY post has some kind of gobbled glitch in it … and they offer absolutely ZERO in the way of customer support.  I hate to say it, but I’ve actually been looking into other sources.  (I would hate to have to move the website after all this time … we’ve been posting on Blogger since 2008 … but I just can’t devote the time to redoing every post nine or ten times and then STILL having it fail and look unprofessional.  So again, if ANYBODY out there can offer some programming guidance … or actually get a representative from Blogger to talk to me and resolve this problem once and for all, PLEASE speak now … I just can’t take this anymore!!!)  Thanks!  (kk)

That Baseball Thing You Do

Now THIS is what I call closest thing to this year's Field of Dreams Game.  How much fun would THIS BE???

https://www.mlive.com/life/2021/07/that-thing-you-do-wonders-reunion-coming-to-tigers-minor-league-ballpark.html

Clark Besch

Regarding “Big Rock Candy Mountain,” my Roger Whittaker LP says "Traditional" for the writer of this.  

David Lewis

There are all kinds of different versions of this song out there … and it looks like the lyrics have been adapted, modified and improvised since the 1920’s.  The one that wound up on the B-Side of Dorsey Burnette’s “Hey Little One” in 1960 was credited him as the songwriter on the record label, which is obviously false.

It is said that the earliest recorded version (dating back to 1928) was done by a guy named Harry McClintock, who also claimed the writing credit at the time.  (In all likelihood, the song really dates back well into the late 1800’s and its verses were “borrowed” from two or three other songs before being consolidated into “Big Rock Candy Mountain” (aka “Hobo’s Paradise” and/or “Hobo Heaven.”)  It is said that McClintock loaded the lyrics with obscenities and innuendo that had to be cleaned up when he finally got around to recording it.  Since then, everybody from Pete Seger to Johnny Cash to (perhaps most famously) Burl Ives have also recorded the tune.  (Bing Crosby, Tom Waits and Bruce Hornsby have also taken a stab at it.)  It was even included in the film “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” (as well as snippets being used in the films “Room” and “Runaway Jury,” ALL with varying modifications to the lyrics.)  In fact, search for this song on YouTube and you’ll probably find at least a dozen different clips … all varying slightly in the lyrics department. 

Most recently (well, since artists like The New Christy Minstrels in the 1970’s and Lisa Loeb in 2004 recorded clean, sanitized versions), the song has become a popular sing-along tune on many children’s records.  Incredibly, the song has also been used in everything from a Burger King commercial (featuring Darius Rucker as the cowboy!) to an episode of “The Simpsons” (featuring Natalie Maines of The Dixie Chicks singing a chorus.) 

Now don’t even get me started as to “Where Is Big Rock Candy Mountain?” … because that’s a whole ‘nother chapter all to itself.  (You guys will have to do THAT research on your own!!!)  kk


Strange But True …


Time now for "CB's Collegiate Gridiron Report!"

College Football Season opened yesterday and the Indiana Hoosiers were at the Iowa Hawkeyes!

At the team's introduction, an Indiana University Bloomington football player ran out of the tunnel onto the field wearing his brand spanking-new football jersey!

WAIT!  

Are these the Whozshures from INDIANIA University?!



Uh-oh!     ……….     Can't Spell!  Can't Score!




But they do have cute Collage coeds!



Now, if you're going to the Whozshures Home Opener against Idaho this Saturday, remember to drive safely!



CB  (which stands for "College Boy!" )

 


(And you thought they couldn’t possibly look more ridiculous than they did in the ‘70’s!!!  Well … you were wrong!)  Tickets for their 2022 theatrical debut in London are on sale now!  (kk)

Abba Voyage | Tickets & Info | Ticketmaster UK