Monday, December 27, 2021

Another New Feature for 2022

I am so excited about some of the things we'll be bringing you next year in Forgotten Hits.

One extremely rare and unique feature will be glimpses into the journals and photo collections of Henry Diltz, perhaps the most famous rock and roll photographer of the '60's and '70's (and beyond!)

Through our mutual friend, Gary Strobl (who I have known since the late '70's), we now have access to bringing you, our readers, EXCLUSIVE memories and perspective from behind the lens ... and I couldn't be more proud of this new feature.

I asked Gary to kick things off with a brief history of how he and Henry met ... and developed a decades long friendship that has allowed Gary to become the keeper of his archives.  

On a cold night in late Fall, November 13, 1982, my path in life would change forever.  

My good friend and photographer Michael Bush & I went to see Crosby, Stills & Nash in concert at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago. 

I had designed and printed three different T-shirts, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield and The Hollies, hoping to get backstage after the show to present them to David, Stephen and Graham. I had also printed a special T-shirt for me to wear with all three designs on it. As good luck would happen, my T-shirt enabled us to go backstage.  

We waited patiently in the shadows near the dressing rooms, but we never met David, Stephen or Graham. We did spot this photographer scurrying from dressing room to dressing room and he looked familiar to us. I finally was bold enough to get his attention and he wandered over to where we were standing. I asked, “Are you Henry Diltz who used to photograph The Monkees for Tiger Beat magazine? He smiled and said, “How did you recognize me?” I shyly said, “You haven’t changed very much.” We talked about The Monkees and about his album covers for a few minutes and then we exchanged business cards.


I told him about an upcoming Monkees convention in Los Angeles in January, 1983, and suggested that he sell some of his wonderful Monkees photos there. He said that he would check into it. He was very humble and down-to-earth. He slipped away to take more photos in one of the dressing rooms.  

That memorable night turned into an amazing lifelong friendship. In fact, years later, when I started to scan his written journals, I discovered that I made some kind of impression with him on that fateful November night in 1982. He referred to me as Monkees convention guy. How cool is that?

Henry and I have been on one incredible adventure after another ever since. He has been one of my greatest teachers. He always tells me, “I can’t be me without you.” How lucky can one be?

Love, Peace & Happy Days Ahead,

Gary

Our very first Henry Diltz exclusive will run on Thursday, December 30th ...

Hope you'll join us!   (kk)