Saturday, March 12, 2022

Phil Nee: March 12

One of my favorite bands of the early 70's was Badfinger.  Their haunting single 'Day After Day' hit its peak in early 1972 and the group picked up a gold record in March.  Guitarist Joey Molland was my guest in 2003.  I had the chance to ask him about George Harrison's involvement with that song.


When the Badfinger song 'Baby Blue' debuted on the charts in March of 1972, it was an instant classic.  It gained new popularity when it was used in the finale of the series Breaking Bad.  I had the chance to ask Joey Molland about that hit.

 

One of my favorite new artists of the early '70's was Badfinger.  People may have referred to them as "The Baby Beatles," but they had their own unique way with a song (even though The Beatles WERE involved to some degree ... John Lennon renamed them, after they first recorded for Apple as The Iveys, Paul McCartney wrote and produced their first hit single, "Come And Get It," from the film "The Magic Christian," which just happened to star Ringo Starr, and George Harrison produced ... and played slide guitar on their 1972 big hit "Day After Day!"  Badfinger even performed at George's Concert For Bangla Desh, with Pete Ham sharing the acoustic guitar duties during Harrison's performance of "Here Comes The Sun.")

Still, their hit ratio was phenomenal ... inside of just two years, they hit The Top Ten four times with "Come And Get It" (#3, 1970), "No Matter What" (#4, 1970), "Day After Day" (#1, 1972) and Baby Blue" (#9, 1972)  Their "Straight Up" album (produced by George Harrison and Todd Rundgren) remains one of my very favorite LPs of all time.  (kk)

Many of my favorite guests are those that have only had one moment on the charts.  Chicago born actress/singer Beverly Bremers joined me by phone in 2007.  I had the chance to ask her about her recording career and 'Don't Say You Don't Remember,' which was on the charts in March of 1972.  This song is truly a forgotten hit and it often gets a good response when I bring it back to the airwaves.

Beverly Bremers was one of the first interviews I ever did for Forgotten Hits.  I always found "Don't Say You Don't Remember" to be catchy as hell ... and it went all the way to #4 here in Chicago.  (It peaked at #13 nationally.)  Beverly was doing quite a bit of voice-over work for Disney at the time we talked.  I always felt she should have had a more noticeable career on the pop charts (although she immediately pointed out, to both me AND Phil, that her follow-up single, "We're Free," also made The Top 40, making her technically NOT a One-Hit Wonder act.)  I dunno ... it peaked at #40 in Billboard only ... and I wonder if three people out there can actually sing a line of this tune!  (lol)  kk