Thursday, April 22, 2021

Thursday This And That

Songwriter / Producer Jim Steinman passed away on Tuesday (April 20th)

Best know for his hits with Meatloaf, Steinman also penned and/or produced hits for Celine Dion, Bonnie Tyler, Barry Manilow and Air Supply.

Billboard Magazine picks these as his ten greatest moments …

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9559621/jim-steinman-best-songs-meat-loaf/

Joe Marchese also wrote a beautiful tribute here:

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/04/21/in-memoriam-jim-steinman-1947-2021/

The new ratings for Chicago Radio puts Me-TV-FM back into The Top Ten.  (It’s up from #17 in the last ratings period … so I think it's safe to say that the oldies are alive and well in Chicagoland again!)

FH Reader Phil Miglioratti sent us this blurb from Rob Feder’s column …

The month’s most notable uptick was registered by WRME 87.7-FM, the Weigel Broadcasting soft rock/oldies station. MeTV FM gained more than a full share point to rise from 17th to 10th.

Here are Chicago’s top 10 radio stations from 6 a.m. to midnight Monday through Sunday, as measured by Nielsen Audio from March 4 to 31, followed by format and average quarter-hour share of listeners age 6 and older (with previous month’s share in parentheses):

   1.  WVAZ 102.7-FM R&B, 6.3 (6.0)

   2. WBBM 780-AM/WCFS 105.9-FM all news, 6.2 (7.1)

   3.  WLIT 93.9-FM adult contemporary, 5.7 (5.3)

   4. (tie) WBEZ 91.5-FM public radio news talk, 4.7 (6.4); 

    WDRV 97.1-FM classic rock, 4.7 (4.0)

6. WTMX 101.9-FM hot adult contemporary, 4.4 (4.5)
7. WOJO 105.1-FM Mexican regional, 4.2 (4.0)
8. WXRT 93.1-FM adult album alternative, 3.6 (3.8)
9. WGN 720-AM news talk, 3.5 (4.1)

10. WRME 87.7-FM soft rock oldies, 3.2 (2.1)

Congrats to all our buddies over at Me-TV-FM … the little station that could … for this MAJOR ratings upswing!

(This weekend, in honor of The Oscars, they’ll be playing Movie Music all weekend long!  You can listen live here: https://www.audacy.com/metvfmmke/listen#.W6oi2vZRfcs

Note:  Radio.com is now Audacy.com)

Good Morning, Kent:

Those words mean a lot to us, coming from you.  Thank you.

As you’ve probably noticed, our listeners are a passionate and loyal bunch.  (They’re very similar to your readers.)  We owe it all to them.  

Thanks again for the nice note!

It’s great to see events going up on the concert calendar again, isn’t it?  You’re always on top of everything — that’s an essential service you provide your readers.

In addition to the Movie Music Weekend, we’re also working on a couple of features we’ve never done before that we’ll be premiering in a few weeks.  I’ll let you know about them as they get closer.

Enjoy your week!

Rick

Love those specialty weekends!  (I may have an idea or two of mine own as well!!!  We'll be in touch!)

Thanks, Rick … and congrats to all on your Top Ten showing!  (kk)

Mark Lindsay’s name was noticeably missing from the new Happy Together Tour line-up currently circulating, now that rescheduled show dates have been announced.

Mark announced yesterday on his Facebook page:

“After many thoughtful discussions … with my longtime agent … I’ve tried to make a decision that would be best for my long term life goals.

“My ankle injuries over the years — from childhood mishaps to falling into an orchestra pit to a major skateboard crash to jumping off amps to bouncing down a cliff on Maui — have all left a major mark on those joints. My left ankle isn’t in great shape, but my right ankle is the main problem – it’s a degenerative issue, resulting in bone IN bone with zero cartilage in the joint and painful even with limited use. The pain and damage ramps up with every mile I put on it.

“I need to be able to allocate my remaining miles the most logical way possible for the long term, and adrenalized stomping around on stage most every night for weeks isn’t the best way to do it. I’ve exhausted every option other than dialing back the miles I put on my ankles.”

Mark says that he has removed his name from the line up for all of 2021 and 2022 and will not be participating in next year’s Flower Power Cruise (currently scheduled for March and April of 2022) either.

If you’ve seen the singer perform in recent years, you know that even at the age of 79 he is still VERY active on stage, doing leg kicks over his head on Paul Revere and the Raiders’ signature tune, “Kicks.”

But a couple of years ago he had a heart attack and had to have a pacemaker installed in 2018.  He insists that he is NOT had any further heart issues.

“My heart and pacer are just fine and will require no further attention until my battery replacement is due in 6 years.”

Lindsay goes on to say, “Don’t worry … I’m definitely not retiring!  I may potentially take a limited number of one-off live dates in the future, but only after evaluating each one carefully to determine if I can do it without creating more problems for myself.”

He also mentioned that he will be finishing filming his hosting parts for a Where the Action Was ’60s documentary later this year.  (So we’ve all got THAT to look forward to!)

In addition to his many pre-Covid live shows, Mark had also been making the rounds quite a bit recently in conjunction with the Quentin Tarantino film “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood,” which features quite a bit of Raiders music.  (kk)

Frannie and Mark Lindsay - Happy Together Tour

Me and Mark - 50 Summers of Love Tour

Our long time FH Buddy Quent Lang sent us this regarding Chicago Founding Member Walt Parazaider ...

Kent:

Thought your audience would want to know … I just found out yesterday.  

Quent

https://vermilioncountyfirst.com/2021/04/19/chicago-co-founder-walt-parazaider-reveals-alzheimers-battle/

That's too bad.  I know he hasn't performed with the band for years but as a founding member still has some type of controlling interest.  (The brass section has been a long-standing "constant" within the band Chicago.)

I thought he was having breathing issues that prevented him from performing anymore but I don't claim to know the exact details or specifics.  Still, as a cracker-jack brass man yourself, you already know how critical breathing is to every note you play.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful ride the rest of the way.  (About a week ago we told you about the new "Chicago Live At Carnegie Hall" box set that's coming out ... scroll back for more information.)    Let us know when you're back out and about performing again.  Thanks, Quent!  (kk)

From Frank B …

kk:

"EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED"

FB

Paul McCartney recalls the first time The Beatles got stoned with Bob Dylan

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-mccartney-recalls-the-first-time-the-beatles-got-stoned-with-bob-dylan-2921282?fbclid=IwAR15F0OiKxVxIESbwf1uu7uFclPB9-R8ojmeZ-muot4HhBok0PX3BGxcZzU

Weird to hear THIS story now after so many years … but Alice Cooper has been talking about the time he was invited backstage to meet Elvis Presley after one of The King’s shows in Las Vegas …

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alice-cooper-elvis-presley/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&utm_term=UCR

Hi Kent ...

A Question for Kent ...

Tell me, Kent ... please …

What do you do when you hear a song you really like?  That would be one that you haven’t heard in a long time.  

I know what I do ... I get up and DANCE if it's one that moves and grooves. 

Usually I don’t remember all the words, but guilty as charged.   

I can even sit down DANCE … Move and groove, even when I drive. 

The Oldies Chat Room friends used to call me the "Dancing Queen." 

I just read in your blog that Curtis Lee's" Pretty Little Angel Eyes" was a Phil Spector production.  Love the song and love to DANCE! lol

PS.   I must get away from politics and get back into this room!  Some good reads here!

And, speaking of the late, great record "Wall of Sound" record producer, Phil Spector, I discovered in a record collection I bought years ago that I own the original "To Know Him is To Love Him" by the Teddy Bears.   I must have been very young when this song came out because I don’t remember hearing it on the radio until later years. I'm glad I own it though.  (I also once owned the original Phil Spector Christmas Album but unfortunately it was stolen from me.)

Thanks for all of the info.  I really enjoyed this series.  Looks like you did a lot of homework / research.

Sandy

I've never been a dancer ... but I will admit that I do my fair share of "internal dancing" when the right song comes on.

The Teddy Bears first charted with “To Know Him, Is To Love Him” back in 1958, when it went to #1 in all three major trades.  Back in the earliest days of oldies radio, this was one you could always count on hearing.  (It sounds so antiquated today, doesn’t it?  Almost like it was recorded in their bedroom!)

The song itself is considered a classic … Peter and Gordon and Bobby Vinton also made The Top 40 with their versions of this tune (although those were both retitled “To Know YOU Is To Love YOU.”) 

It looks like people are starting to make their way thru the Phil Spector Series again … it’s a long read, for sure … but all the research credit has to go to Steve Knuettel.  I’m just the one who provided the source to run it, chiming in from time to time, here and there, as I am so wont to do.  (lol)  It’s a goodie, for sure … SO happy to FINALLY have the forum to present it again.  (kk)

Here’s a rare Phil Spector you don’t expect to find every day!!!

Kent –

Got a note from a guy who claims to be the only person ever to cover "(Let's Dance) The Screw." I have no reason to doubt him.

Here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buafpmKEVAo

Be Well,

Carl Wiser

www.songfacts.com

Actually, that’s not horrible …

In fact, it may actually be LESS horrible than the original!  (lol)   

But honestly, ten minutes is a bit much!  (kk)

Hi Kent ... 

I have some audio from Felix Silla.  He was in the studio for an interview with me in 2009.  Not only was he in the Addams Family and many other tv shows, but he was an extra in some of the biggest movies of all time. 

I have sent a long a couple of sound bites from that interview.

Phil Nee

It's AMAZING the projects this guy worked on over the years.  (kk)

Check out this new release from Cream’s Goodbye Tour …

A 2-LP set of Cream Live At The Forum, circa 1968 … on blue vinyl no less!

More details can be found via the link below:

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/04/20/im-so-glad-creams-the-goodbye-tour-live-at-the-forum-1968-arrives-as-2-lp-set/

From Jim Peterik …

Hi Doge fans!  Here is my new tribute song to the mascot we all love –

How much is that Dogey in the window depends on how much you invest.  

Woof!!  

Jimbo

From Paul Evans …

Hi Oldies Lovers,

I’ve just updated my site. It’s about Happy Go Lucky Me  - the book, my career, lots of info, lots of photos and Mp3s.  I believe that you'll enjoy it if you get to it:

paulevans.com

Paul Evans 

Punk Rock’s Patron Saint SID VICIOUS Gets Venerated On Recordings Featuring THE DAMNED’s RAT SCABIES and more!

Nobody embodied the spirit, ethos and attitude of punk rock better than Sid Vicious. As the bass guitarist for Sex Pistols’ from 1977 until the band’s dissolution a year later and a solo career that found him annihilating stages on both sides of the pond, Vicious transformed audience expectations of what a rock musician was supposed to be both on and off the stage. Toward the end of his tragically short career, Sid’s legendary live shows frequently found him revamping garage rock classics and pop standards with his trademark punk attitude. He did them, just like everything else Sid Vicious ever did, his way. Now a special vinyl release of some of Sid’s most ferocious performances has been put together with help from Sid’s contemporaries. Working from vocal outtakes of Vicious belting out Sinatra’s signature tune “My Way” and The Monkees’ classic “(I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone,” The Damned’s Rat Scabies and Johnny Thunders’ bandmate Walter Lure have revitalized these treasured recordings offering a stark reminder of just how charismatic and influential Vicious was. In addition, Scabies has created both a brand new mix of “My Way” as well as a unique track featuring some Sid studio banter.

Scabies proclaims, “Working with Sid was always a laugh, often stimulating and sometimes illegal, so it was good to be able to work on these tracks to remind myself of his intellect and humour.”

My Way will be released on two limited edition vinyls, a 7” in your choice of RED or BLUE vinyl and a 12” in either PINK or GOLD.

Buy the 12”: https://cleorecs.com/store/shop/sid-vicious-my-way-limited-edition-colored-vinyl/

Buy the 7”: https://cleorecs.com/store/shop/sid-vicious-my-way-limited-edition-colored-7-vinyl/

Digital version: https://orcd.co/sid_vicious_my_way

12” Track List:
SIDE A
1. My Way with Rat Scabies
2. (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone with Walter Lure

SIDE B
1. It's Sh*t with Rat Scabies
2. My Way with Rat Scabies (Yacht Mix)
BONUS TRACK

3. Stormtrooper - I'm A Mess

7” Track List:
SIDE A
1. My Way with Rat Scabies

SIDE B
2. It's Sh*t with Rat Scabies 
 

Yeah, he wrote all those Buckinghams hits, but he also was one of the main men behind the soulful sound of Chicago's "The Mob" which helped send Chicago on a path of horn rock.

Now, James Holvay is BACK with five  brand new songs that will send you back to the soulful sounds you remember from the Windy City!

Check out James' new stuff.  You won't regret it! 

The Impressions, Tyrone Davis, Major Lance, Curtis Mayfield, Gene Chandler, The Dells, The Chi-Lites, Jerry Butler and all those smooth R&B sounds we grew up with!

James does a masterful job.

My fave?  

"Sweet Soul Sound"!!! 

Give these songs your thumbs up!

James Holvay’s debut EP is out now!!!

Entitled “Sweet Soul Song,” the EP features five tracks all paying homage to 60s Windy City Soul! Available now on all streaming services!

Here’s what critics are saying about “Sweet Soul Song” :

“I certainly didn’t know what to expect when I first played this EP last week; especially as the cover shows a grey haired white guy looking a bit like Jeff Goldblum or even Tom Hanks … so when the dance-tastic Working On It came out of the kitchen speakers I couldn’t stop myself shuffling along as I buttered my toast (not a euphemism!). Man … what a smooth and, cooool voice this cat has; and alongside producer Cameron Lew and engineer Steve Cohen can put together a melody and groove worthy of Stax, Atlantic and Philadelphia International too; with occasional nods to what I know as Northern Soul.”

Read the full review here!

Listen here:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56sY4Y1cBuOL_0drakGEMiMSB49b2DNg

Clark Besch

Clark also sent us this clip ...

The long sought-after "Honey House" from The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, 1968.

(Better look quick 'tho ... every time it has ever been put up on YouTube, it's been yanked down immediately.  I don't know why CBS or The Smothers Brothers don't just post this on their own ... there is obviously a very high demand to see it!)

Of course, we all remember the TREMENDOUS success of Bobby Goldsboro's #1 Hit "Honey" ...

Watch it all come to life right here ... 

And a couple more quick smiles from FH Reader Mike Wolstein …