Thursday, January 4, 2024

More Great Concert Reviews ... from Rich Turner!

Kent,
 
You may remember I mentioned upon my return home to Florida from Chicago and the Cornerstones Of Rock show, that I had a great weekend of concerts planned here in the Clearwater area and you replied to send in some reports. 
 
Well, here we are and let me say the all the shows lived up to their advance hype.
 
First up on Friday was Bowzer's Holiday Party with special guests Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits, along with Joey Dee, Jay Siegel & The Tokens and Henry Gross. 
 
Bowzer (AKA Jon Bauman of Sha-Na-Na fame) mentioned that this was the ninth (almost) annual event here at Ruth Eckerd Hall. Bowzer treats his show with great reverence and he truly enjoys being the MC of the proceedings. The man is 76 and he is moving much slower than before. He stated that he just had a back operation and was scheduled for a heart procedure in a few weeks but he hopes he can keep doing these events for some time to come ... but he's not sure how much longer his body will allow it. God-willing, let's hope it's for many more years! 
 
 
The Florida-based band Rocky & The Rollers were the back-up band for all the entertainment except for Peter Noone and they are truly excellent at what they do. I have seen them several times in the past , mainly doing shows at the Villages in Central Florida, and they can play practically any type of music. 
 
Bowzer brought out Joe Dee (of Joey Dee & The Starlighters fame) and he sang four or five songs, ending up, of course, with the "Peppermint Twist." For an 83-year-old man, he was a huge bundle of energy and he was kicking and dancing all over the stage. 
 
 
Next up was a former member of Sha-Na-Na, Mr. Henry Gross. He sang "Blue Moon" along with Bowzer and the three back-up singers called The Stingrays and then, of course, we were treated to his huge 70's hit "Shannon." And yes, he did the falsetto beautifully! 
 
 
Next up was Jay Siegel and his current Tokens. Jay is 84-years-old and he has also kept himself in beautful shape. And WOW what a voice! 
 
 
They sang six songs, ending with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and yes, if you shut your eyes, you would think you were hearing the record playing. Jay hit the high notes perfectly! And in addition to his singing, he is quite the entertainer, keeping the audience laughing to his quips. 
 
After a 15 minute intermission, Bowzer started off with a couple of songs with The Stingrays and then he brought out Johnny Contardo (a former member of Sha-Na-Na), who then sang two songs.
 
Then we were treated to just a magnificent version of  the Brooklyn Bridge classic " The Worst That Could Happen" as sung by Steve Santos, who is the lead singer of Rocky & The Rollers. Bowzer had the song dedicated to the great Johnny Maestro. 
 
A quick five minutes to realign the stage and then Peter Noone along with his Hermits (Rich Spina, Vance Brescia, Billy Sullivan and drummer Dave Ferrara) hit the stage running opening with, of course, "I'm Into Something Good." They ran through about 45 minutes worth of Herman's Hermits' hits, including several Christmas classics. The way he starts off singing "Rudolph" and then segues into into "Mrs. Brown" has to be heard to be believed. 
 

I got my Peter Noone moment about halfway into the show when he jumped off the stage (well went down the stairs) and into the audience to sing "Listen People." He traversed a couple of rows and then yes, he came right down my row and stood right next to me while continuing to sing. Quite a thrill to have this fabulous entertainer stand right next to you while singing to over 2,000 people!! I even got a handshake, which my girl friend Alice was about two seconds too slow to get a picture of. The man is just an incredible entertainer! 
 
To end the show, Bowzer came back out with the entire cast and they all sang the classic "Good Night, Sweetheart." A very enjoyable three hour show!
 
The next night, it was off to the Capitol Theater in downtown Clearwater to see The Outlaws Christmas Show with The Artimus Pyle band opening. 
 
The Outlaws have been doing this show at the Capitol in December for many years now and Henry Paul (Outlaws founder and de-facto leader) said from the stage that he plans to do it for at least 20 more, even though he is 73-years-old. I hope he's right. 
 

I am not going to say much about the Outlaws show as I saw it last year and sent in a review to Forgotten Hits then. The show was pretty similar, although this time they included a three-song acoustic portion in the middle. In my opinion, they have the best four-part harmony singing of any Southern Rock band, which stands them out from the others ... not to mention the great three-part guitar army attack. Great show as always from Tampa's own! 
 
I just want to mention that it was a thrill to see the Artimus Pyle band open this year. If you are a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd , then this group is as close as you will get to the real thing. In fact, technically ... since there is no members left in Skynyrd from the classic era of the band ... that means that Artimus Pyle is even closer to the real thing! Of all the original members of Skynyrd, he is the only one still alive! Very hard to believe! 
 
His band ran through great versions of seven Skynyrd songs, ending with (what else) "Sweet Home Alabama" and then "Free Bird" I think that was an audience request, LOL! 
 
 
"Free Bird" lasted for over 10 minutes and was easily as good as any Lynyrd Skynyrd version ever played. And if that was not enough, Alice and I got to meet Mr. Pyle after the show as he was signing autographs, posing for pictures with his band and hawking some merch.  Artimus could not have been nicer to Alice and I. I mentioned to him that I thought he just about had that Lynyrd Skynyrd thing down pretty good and he replied with a very straight face, "Rich, it's a work in progress." As funny as that was, the fact that he remembered my name after signing an autograph a minute before just blew my mind. Another great night of rock ... and we are not done yet.
 
 
On Sunday night it was back to Ruth Eckerd Hall and Three Dog Night with Firefall opening. I was pretty apprehensive about this show beforehand. I was a huge Three Dog Night fan back in their heyday in the early 70's and probably saw them in concert back then around five or six times. Loved the shows, loved their singles and loved their albums, which are still proudly in my collection. 
 
Everybody that is familiar with the band (well let's say most) knows some of the history and now they are referred by many as "One Dog Night," as Danny Hutton is the only original member left. Time has not treated the group well and if I hadn't won my tickets in an auction, I probably would not have gone. 


 
 
Around 2014 or so, I actually got to meet former lead singer Chuck Negron here in Clearwater after he did an outdoor concert with his band. We were heading back to our car when who just happened to pull up next to us at a stop sign ... Chuck in a van with his driver. He had us (yes, believe it or not) climb into the van and pose for a couple of pics and signed an autograph. I asked him point blank why was he not still performing with Three Dog Night anymore. He hemmed and hawed for a couple of seconds and then replied "Man, all I can tell you is that it is all a bunch of bullshit, plain and simple." The man could not have been nicer or more gracious, except when talking about his former band. And even then he said he misses Cory Wells. This was about a year before Cory died. 
 
Anyway, back to the show. In a word, I was greatly entertained! David Morgan did a nice job in the Cory Wells role and told some fascinating stories. The band's unsung weapon is lead guitarist and vocalist Paul Kingery. He did a great job on a couple of Negron songs such as "One." Danny Hutton's voice is not what it used to be, but he was still able to shout out "Liar" and "Black And White." And, interestingly enough, Hutton's son (Tim) plays bass in the band and provides an occasional back-up vocal. 
 
They performed just about all their hits except for "One Man Band" (which would have been appropriate, LOL!) and the one I really missed, "The Show Must Go On."  That would have made a great show-closer, but it was not meant to be. They did perform one newish song titled "Prayer Of The Children," which they sang a ccapella, and it was quite impressive. And then it was time for (what else!) "Joy To The World" to bring the show to a close with a giant bullfrog dancing out onto the stage. Again, I was entertained by their (I guess let's say) professionalism and I think that they actually did the best job they could with one original member. There were around 1,500 people in attendance and my impression was that everybody enjoyed it. 
 
I almost forgot ... Firefall opened the show. I have seen this band several times and every time I do I notice that band members seem to come and go but there is one constant and that is founding member Jock Barkley. Whoever is in the band does not seem to matter ... they put on a great, entertaining (there's that word again!) show. 
 

They played ten songs consisting of nine hits from the past and one newer song (which really wasn't new at all.)  Firefall put out a covers CD a few months back, consisting of what Jock said was their favorite songs from the 70s and they played from it the Doobie Brothers' classic "Long Train Runnin'." (Doesn't it seem like that when a lot of our favorite bands from the past decide to make new music, somehow it seems like it turns out be a covers album!)  
 
Now there are exceptions , like the Stones, of course, but look it up and see if I'm wrong. Firefall sounded great; I'm guessing Jock Barkley has the band trained well. And to put the icing on the cake, we also got to meet the band after the show for some quick conversation and pics and autographs. 
 
Well, if that wasn't all, there is still one more show to talk about. 
 
Four days later, The Steve Miller Band rolled into town. They performed at our newest venue in Clearwater, an outdoor amphitheater called The Sound At Coachman Park. An outdoor show in December you say? Well, it is Florida and the temp at showtime was around 70 degrees. You can't beat that! Around 4,000 fans had no problem with it. 
 
The Samantha Fish Band opened and I like to think that my general knowledge of musical history is pretty good (well, not so much hip-hop and the music of the kids nowadays), but before tonight, I had never heard of her or her group. The band plays sort of a bluesy, country-ish sort of rock and since I was not familiar with any of the songs except for a couple of covers, I guess my entertainment needle was not real high. Coupled with the fact that our seats were not real close to the stage, let's just say I got through it. 
 
Then Steve Miller came out and he did not disappoint. He kicked it off with "Swingtown" and the hits never stopped coming. This was a greatest hits show and the audience was loving every second. I do not need to name them, but if it was a classic Steve Miller song, then it was probably played. 
 
 
His band was in fine form and they hit every note perfectly. Steve Miller is 80-years-old (where does the time go?) but he has lost nothing from his fine singing voice. He told a lot of great stories between the songs and he sounded like he was having a great time also. In the middle of the show, he brought out the legendary blues guitarist Les Dudek to join with the band for a couple of songs. The Otis Rush song "All Your Love" and "Stranger's Blues" were the two choices, and it looked like Miller and Dudek could not be happier jamming together. My understanding was that this did not happen for any other show on the tour, so Clearwater got a real treat. 
 
Another juicy tidbit was Miller playing a solo acoustic version of "Jet Airliner." He mentioned that he likes doing that occasionally because that way you get to really hear the words. And if anybody was disappointed in that version, he played the full band version of the song also. Two for the price of one. 
 

I think I mentioned that our seats were not close to the front, but that did not stop my girlfriend / photographer Alice from getting some great shots. She sweet-talked a security attendant into letting her run up close to the stage for a song or two and she managed to get some excellent photos. A couple of them look like she was standing right next to the man himself!  
 
All great things must come to an end. After playing "Take The Money And Run," "The Joker" and ending with an extended version of "Rock 'n Me," Steve and the band bid adieu and left the stage and the building. Another excellent two-hour show came to an end and so did our concert week. 
 
I guess all I have left to look forward to is Christmas and New Year's ... and then my next show which is Styx and .38 Special at the Sound on January 5th. 
 
I think I one time estimated that I have attended over 1500 concerts since I was 14 (that show was Blood, Sweat & Tears in 1969) and I still look forward going to as many shows as possible. And the great thing is I have a girlfriend who enjoys it as much as me. 
 
Until my next review ...          
Rich Turner
Largo, Florida
 
Man, you've been busy!!!  (lol)
 
GREAT reviews, Rich ... keep 'em comin'!!!  
 
And thank Alice for me for all the great photos ...
 
I just LOVE sharing this stuff with the readers!  (kk)