Monday, September 21, 2026

Concert Review: JUSTIN HAYWARD

In April of 2012, I saw The Moody Blues live for the first time. It was John Lodge, Graeme Edge, and Justin Hayward from the original band.  Today, on September 8, 2026, I am seeing Justin Hayward in his solo concert. Solo only because he is the last surviving member of that trio. He comes to Ridgefield Playhouse, a beautiful community theatre that was once the auditorium of Ridgefield High School. It is one of the remodeled and reinstated post-covid theatres that we, in CT, worked very hard to save. I love coming to this theatre. I love that the work we strived for in my state has paid off and that we are now reaping the benefits of seeing 60s and 70s performers live. SOLD OUT! SOLD OUT! SOLD OUT!

Yes, another sold out concert proving again that this music continues to be loved.

This is "The Story In Your Eyes Tour."  I think Justin and his publicist's words are so well said that I will post them here for you to read.

"Having chalked up over fifty years at the peak of the music and entertainment industry, Justin Hayward's voice and guitar playing has been heard the world over. Known principally as the vocalist, lead guitarist and composer for The Moody Blues, his is an enduring talent that has helped to define the times in which he worked. Possessing one of the most distinctive voices in rock music, as well as being the driving force behind The Moody Blues, Justin penned classics like 'Nights In White Satin,' 'Question,' 'New Horizons,' 'I Know You're Out There Somewhere,' 'Tuesday Afternoon,' 'Story In Your Eyes,' 'The Voice' and 'Your Wildest Dreams.'

A NOTE FROM JUSTIN:

The Story In Your Eyes Tour is a natural progression and evolution of my recent tours - in Europe, UK and USA - but with additions to the set list of songs, new ideas, a question and answer session with the audience and fans, and a full band performance. This time round we are with the help of guitar player Billy Adamson, whose playing and technical ability are helping to bring my music from my home to the stage, along with Julie Ragins (keyboards, guitar and vocals), Karmen Gould (flute, keyboards and vocals) and longtime 'guitar tech,' guitarist and friend Josh Johnson.

"The Story In Your Eyes" was a hit for me as a writer and singer with The Moody Blues and it was a favourite with my fellow band mates and fans. The title suggests my intention for the upcoming tour, with stories and question and answer time, as well as a full band performances of the hits from all phases and eras of my career."

Love, Justin

As Justin Hayward enters the stage, the audience erupts in applause and cheers. Justin was referred to as "Legs" in school.

"When my now deceased brother and I were small ... actuall,y we were never small. When my brother and I were young ..."

He is still tall. He will be 80 years young in October, and his voice is the voice you hear on his recordings. Amazing singing and equally amazing guitar! Yes, he still does all those rambunctious solos and riffs that made The Moody Blues the stars they were.

Driftwood

Say It With Love

Lovely To See You

Tuesday Afternoon

Living For Love

Hope And Pray

The Voice

And then he turns up the lights, the band leaves and he opens the question-and-answer segment of the show. Two assistants with mics appear in the audience and walk to some of the people with their hands up, ready to ask a question. 

My go-to album is ‘Days Of Future Past,’ but Justin remembers ‘In Search Of The Lost Chord’ and the music for ‘Excalibur’ as being the times of his life where he was happiest. One audience member reminds Justin of an interview he had for “Excalibur’ where he stated that men see themselves as Lancelot when young, King Arthur when middle-aged, and Merlin when old. Justin looked puzzled, then said, "That's great. I will remember that. I was too stoned to remember it before." 

Another question concerned 'Go Now.'  As Justin explained, that was before he and John Lodge joined and he (Justin) had been brought in as a songwriter for the group. Ray Thomas was supposed to be the lead singer. Denny Laine sang 'Go Now' because Ray could not sing that high. The audience member then asked, "Well, it would be a great segue if you went into 'Go Now.'  "Oh No! I can't sing that either."

The Day We Meet Again

Medley of Justin Hayward Songs

Fly Me High

A Minute Ago

The Land Of Make-Believe

Your Wildest Dreams

Question

Nights In White Satin

The Story In Your Eyes

I waited all night for Nights in White Satin. When the song first came out, I thought it was Knights In White Satin, which appealed to the romantic side of me. White Knights floating on horses through the night with the words I LOOOOOOOVE YOU wafting through the air. 

One that was missed tonight, but was heard back in 2012, is Graeme Edge's 'I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band.'  There was no drum kit, although an occasional snare, cymbal or hand-held blocks were played. I did not expect to hear this song, and I am not suggesting that it be added. 

The story in MY eyes in Ridgefield that night was one of contentment, joy, memories and yes, even longing. 

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

NE Correspondent

Forgotten Hits

 

60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

9/21/66 – Jimmy Hendrix changes his name to “Jimi”

(Read our in-depth Jimi Hendrix Series here:  https://fhjimihendrix.blogspot.com/)