Friday, February 1, 2013

Today's Forgotten Hit

re: TODAY'S FORGOTTEN HIT:  
Ariel by Dean Friedman was a great choice for a forgotten hit on Monday. That has always been a favorite of mine. It was #4 on the WLS charts in the Summer of 1977 when I was driving around in my green and yellow 4 door Ford Maverick looking for a girl like Ariel. 
Phil - WRCO  

Kent,
I can't think of a better way to UNWIND at the end of a hard day than to read what's in FH.
I enjoyed hearing your "local" version of Tex Ritter's version of I DREAMED I WAS IN HILLBILLY HEAVEN recorded for the DJ's there in Chicago. Later on tonight, I am going to call up a retired top 40 DJ here in OKC to see if he happens to have a copy of the OKC version.
Finally, you mentioned in today's comments and I believe previously, the name Frannie. I get the impression this is your wife. Well, seeing her name in the comments for today reminded me of a song put out in early 1958 by Nino and the Ebbtides, FRANNY FRANNY. Remember or are you familiar with that record at all? I wasn't familiar with it as far as what it sounded like. Got it out while ago and played it, uptempo Doo Wop.
Larry
 

Yes, Frannie is "Mrs. K" ... and we've featured "Franny Franny" a couple times now. (While reading Mike Rabon's book, he mentioned a local Texas Hit called "Dance Frannie Dance" by The Floyd Dakil Combo ... so now I've been playing that one! (kk)  
Click here: DANCE FRANNY DANCE FLOYD DAKIL COMBO - YouTube

We owed you this one from yesterday when we couldn't get DivShare to cooperate in time for the morning post.  Here are The Ohio Players doing "Funky Worm", a #13 Hit from 1973.  This was their first entry into The Pop Top 40 ... and doesn't sound anything at all like the songs they'd be most remembered for.  ("Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster" both topped the chart during the height of the disco era.)  Lead vocalist Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner passed away last weekend.




And how about a feel-good Friday song, too?




Del Shannon had eight Top 40 Hits between 1961 and 1965.  If you're lucky, you get to hear one of them.  ("Runaway", #1, 1961).  Here's a great Del Shannon track from 1963 ... "Little Town Flirt", a #11 Hit in its own right!  (kk)