Monday, August 3, 2020

August 3rd, 1970


The Top Eight tunes on this week's chart were all Top Ten Hits last week, too.  In fact, #'s 1, 2 and 3 all hold their position from the week before.  The only two new entries into this week's Top Ten are "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry (#9) and "Cottage Cheese" by Crow. (#10)

Edwin Starr's got the biggest mover of the week as "War" jumps 19 places (from #33 to #12.)  This one's got "hit" written all over it.


Meanwhile, Bobby Sherman climbs 15 places (from #30 to #15) with "Julie, Do Ya Love Me."  (Yeah, I know ... you guys are STILL makin' fun of me for this one!) while Chicago is up 11 spots with "25 or 6 to 4."

Bang Records has released another old Neil Diamond track ... but this time around they've remixed it and "modernized" it a bit. 


"Solitary Man" was Neil's first chart hit back in 1966 ... but it didn't make much of a dent on the charts.  This "new" version will go on to make The Top 20 ... and, quite honestly, is a bit more accessible than the material he's been recording lately.  (Neil will bounce back nicely later this year with "Cracklin' Rosie" ... and then score big with the hits "I Am, I Said," "Stones" and "Song Sung Blue" over the next two years ... as well as with his version of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.")

And the new CCR single has a definite country feel to it ... "Lookin' Out My Back Door" is catchy as can be ... and is sure to be another Top Ten hit for the band.


The big mystery of the week?

What kinda payola was going on to give "Two Little Rooms" a Hit Bound spot for Trella Hart?!?!?!

This song "Bubbled Under" for exactly one week in Billboard (and nowhere else), where it peaked at #120.  I'm not sure I'd want to hear it even if I COULD find a copy!!! (lol)