Monday, June 6, 2022

1972 Surveys - June 2nd - Indiana


We're back in the Midwest this week with this chart from WMEE in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

You may find more of a soulful touch on this week's chart ... a dozen of The Top 30 tracks are by Black Artists ... but all of these folks are also doing well on the national charts right now so this really shouldn't seem that out of the norm.  In fact, scanning down the list, there really aren't ANY tracks that stand out as being the least bit unique or unusual ... other than the Vigrass and Osborne single "Men Of Learning" in the Hit Bound section, ALL of these other songs were getting steady airplay across the rest of the country.  ("Men Of Learning"  is one of those tracks that showed varying success between the three major trades at the time ... Cash Box had it peaking at #45 while Billboard placed it a full 20 points below at #65.  Record World fell right in the middle, listing the record at a peak of #58.  Although I like quite a few songs by Vigrass and Osborne, I wasn't really familiar with this tune myself ... so I figured this would be a good one to feature today.)

I also picked "Ask Me What You Want" by Millie Jackson, as I don't know that I've ever heard THIS song on the radio before either ... although it DID peak at #17 ... in Cash Box.  (Once again, it placed a full ten points lower in Billboard.)  I was quite surprised to see that it also peaked at #16 and #17 here in Chicago, as I really don't remember ever hearing it on the radio at the time ... but it's really not a bad song at all!)