Saturday, November 19, 2022

PHIL NEE: November 19th

I recently went to my 40th class reunion.  
 
When I was in high school, I would always listen to music that came out 10, 20, even 30 years before.  My sister and cousins were all much older than me and I loved their music more than the songs from my era.  
 
When I was getting some music together for the reunion, I realized that there were a few songs that I still really like from my high school days.  They were all songs that stuck out and were different than the tunes on the radio at that time.

It is a real honor to be able to speak with those that made the music of your life.  The first WRCO archived cut today comes from Berton Averre.  He was the lead guitarist and founding member of the Knack.  They recorded one of the biggest records of all time. Released in 1979, My Sharona is a truly an ear worm that has been used in tv shows and movies through the years.
 

The next archived cut is from Cliff Johnson.  
 
When I was in high school, a group from Chicago known as Off Broadway opened for several top acts at the Dane County Coliseum in Madison, Wisconsin.   Their first album was called 'On' and it had a real throw back sound to an earlier era.  The single Stay In Time got a great deal of air play in the Badger state.  
 
I spoke with Cliff in 2002.


The last Those Were the Days archived cut comes from an interview with the late Jon Wetton of Asia.  He had been in previous groups such as King Crimson, Roxy Music, and Uriah Heep.  
 
When the super group Asia released its debut album in 1982, we had our music for the summer.  The single Heat Of the Moment debuted in April of that year.  It was in constant rotation on MTV.   
 
Jon talked with me in 2004 about the composition of that song.
 
 
A sure fire way to bring the kids to the dance floor in the early '80s was to spin a song from the Romantics called What I Like About You.  
 
The song only made it to #49 in Billboard for the Detroit band during the early months of 1980.  Thanks to its MTV play, it became a staple on Top 40 radio and in the clubs during the following years. 
 
The group would finally hit big with Talking In Your Sleep in late 1983.  
 
Lead guitarist Mike Skill joined me by phone in 2010.

 

Be sure to listen to Phil Nee's THOSE WERE THE DAYS radio program tonight … and EVERY Saturday Night on WRCO ... 6 pm – Midnight (Central):

WRCO AM FM Radio Richland Center Wisconsin

Just click on the 100.9 headphones and start streaming!