Monday, July 15, 2013

One More Round Of Your Goosebumps Memories

Even though we officially wrapped up our Goosebumps Memories Series on Saturday, we're still receiving "Goosebumps Moments" from our readers ... as well as comments about and praise for our series ... so we just HAVE to share!!!

Here are a few recent stragglers ...

re:  GOOSEBUMPS MOMENTS:  
Hey Kent.
Hope I'm not too late on this.
My Goosebump memory takes place in the desert of New Mexico, on one of those roads where you could go 100 miles without seeing a town. On road trips, I would flip around to different radio stations to hear how the rest of the country was broadcasting, but when you're in the middle of nowhere, there's not much of a signal. After a particularly long stretch, I spotted something that resembled a city, so I hit the scan button looking for signs of life on the FM dial. It stopped on an oldies station that was in break (running a promo, so I knew the format). I said to my companion, "Maybe they'll play that song 'Vehicle'." About 90 seconds later, the break ended, and those trumpets blared. Out of the hundreds of songs in their library, they picked the one that was the soundtrack to my journey exactly when I wanted to hear it. In that moment, I connected with all those Bruce Springsteen songs.
Many years later, I had the pleasure of asking Jim Peterik about the song, and he told me that he wrote it to impress a girl who became the woman he is still married to. I was happy to hear that the song meant as much to him as it did to me that day.
Be Well,
Carl Wiser

www.songfacts.com  


I've already sent in a goosebump moment but I really should have included this one:  The first time I saw "Woodstock" and Ten Years After took the stage. I'm Going Home" really blew me away!  
wfisch  

As a radio program director in the 70s, I had the opportunity to hear a lot of records before most people and the ability to put the ones that gave me goosebumps, (and felt would do the same for listeners) on the radio. Some of those include "The Streak" by Ray Stevens, "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, "Telephone Man" by Meri Wilson, "The King is Gone" by  Ronnie McDowell (yeah, I liked novelty records :)) and "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" by Meat Loaf. Those are all among the gold record awards hanging on my wall.  At that time, most of my contemporaries were in radio because they loved music and wanted to share the music they loved with others. 
Ed Salamon

Since Fred Vail pointed out the fact that I mentioned the Beach Boys were left out of my Goosebumps list because they were too obvious I feel compelled to mention them. Gees, he noticed my name. Fred has become a hero of mine since I really always have been a Beach Boys fan. 
Surfin' came out first, but Surfin' USA really was one of my goosebump moments. I remember the first time I heard it on my transistor radio when I was supposed to be asleep.  The radio was a replica of a coke machine. When it came on I just wanted to crank it up 'cause it sounded so much more rock and rolly than anything else at the time. You had both a Hammond organ solo and a great surf guitar solo and those fabulous vocals. 
Yes, of course I bought it. And played Shut Down all the time, too. 
For me there were just lots of great moments with Beach Boys and Beatles albums.  
I gotta say that I probably still play more Beach Boys stuff than Beatles, though, but I don't love them any less. 
Yes, Good Vibrations was one too. I had a crush on an older girl down the block. I was walking by her house the first time I heard it. They had a great stereo and it came blasting over the radio and I ran up the steps and stood outside the screen door. She saw me and invited me in to hear the rest of it. 
I also remember that it got so much air play in it's chart run that I actually started to get sick of it. Wow!!! 
Of course that feeling went away and it's in my music favorites folder. 
Bill 
'Believe it or not, here in Chicago "Shut Down" was the bigger hit, peaking at #2 while "Surfin' USA" stopped at #6.  There was a time when you'd still hear BOTH songs fairly often on our radio stations.  (Of course now we don't have ANYBODY focusing on the great music of the '60's anymore.) 
I'm going to go to Beach Boys purgatory for sure after saying this but for me, "Good Vibrations" never lived up to all the hype.  There was SO much press about the recording process (both the time and the expense) that when I finally heard it, I just wasn't all that impressed.  Yes, it was different ... but I just didn't care for it all that much.  Still don't.  I always thought "Heroes and Villains" was the more inventive of the two.  My favorite Beach Boys song from that era is "Do It Again" ... and it's still probably one of my Top Three All-Time Beach Boys favorites.  It was just SO cool to hear them return to their original sound after playing around with all these new sounds. 
For me, The Beach Boys were always more of a "singles" band ... The Beatles delivered the full, complete package.  There are very few Beach Boys albums I can listen to all the way through without some degree of cringing ... but there are some exceptions ... "Pet Sounds", of course ... and "Sunflower" (which has become my favorite over the years).  I still like the critically-panned "Beach Boys" album on Epic from 1985 ... and thought their latest, reunion album "That's Why God Made The Radio" was one of the strongest things they've done in decades.  (That's why it was SUCH a disappointment to hear that they weren't going to record a follow-up ... I think it could have been AMAZING!!!)  kk  
I did the "Hike For Hunger", too. But we didn't run (except downhill for a short time to pass up some slowpokes). 
My last mile it was "Twenty-Five Miles" from Edwin Starr that kept me going. ("I'm so tired. But I just can't lose my stride." Poor rhyme, but a great thought.)  
-- Ron Smith   

>>>In 1966 the biker movie "The Wild Angels" starring Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra hit the movie theatres and my uncle Ray, who rode a groovy little motor bike, went to see the flick and he ran out and purchased the soundtrack. When mom dropped me off at Grandma's house to visit, I went upstairs and picked the lock to my uncle Ray's bedroom to get into his Regular and Lime English Leather and Hi Karate and Jade East colognes and read his Hot Rod, Car Toons and Surf Toons  magazines and I saw that cool LP and placed the record on the stereo and when the song "Blues' Theme" began it was beyond goose bumps! It mutated me into another person! That was my introduction to the genius of Davie Allan & The Arrows. Today is July the sixth, two-thousand and thirteen and I still ride every fuzzed out note of that song as I did the first time I laid ears on it! Then forty plus years later I heard Davie Allan & The Arrows "The Stranger" and it was so beautiful I put the headphones on and put the repeat play function on and laid in bed that night and cried from the emotions it stirred up from within me. Talk about goose bumps! Then came "Mood Swing" right after that release and I got those wonderful goose bumps that still rise up every play of that tune. If the readers on this website "Forgotten Hits" want to spend two dollars today on a wonderful gift to themselves then go to Amazon or any search engine site that sells his tunes you prefer or go to www.davieallan.com (entire CD) and get "The Stranger" from "Restless In LA" & "Mood Swing" from "Moving Right Along" and those two instrumentals will convince you that Davie Allan's namesake should be worldly wise as famous as any top rated guitar player on this planet. He is so melodic and beautiful. It is very touching and fabulous. I will guarantee the goose bumps will pop up. If it don't move you then there needs to be a serious soul check!  (vibramutant)

Kent,
When I read messages like this one, it makes it even harder to deal with the fact that "Retrophonic 4" is the last Arrows' album in physical form!
Thanks for posting it,
Davie



That would be a great show of 'Goosebump' memories.  It would be really cool if Forgotten Hits readers could read their own 'Goosebump' story.  That could be a future show that we could send for air in your area as well.  Let me know if you are interested. 
Phil - WRCO 
P.S.  I interviewed Louise Harrison for this weekends show.  It was great fun!  This month marks the 50th anniversary of her brother George visiting her in Benton, Illinois. 
I think a Goosebumps Memories show would be a HUGE radio hit ... pre-record several stories and then even have listeners call in with some of their own.  We could probably do a feature on WRCO first with a replay on WRLR here in Chicago, which could be streamed worldwide.  Hey, maybe even a simulcast!!!  (The wheels are ALWAYS turning, guys!!!)
Here's another link to our Beatles feature that talks about this major "Beatle In Benton" event. (kk)
Click here: Forgotten Hits - Who Played The Very First Beatles Record In America?  
As well as a link to see the entire "A Beatle In Benton" video!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kF0dnVRBCg
And here's a vintage shot from the past of FH Reader JD Stone (aka Doc Rock) from the time HE interviewed Louise Harrison for his radio program!



>>>I finally saw this rockumentary  "Searching for Sugar Man". Let me tell you, if you like good music, please rent it. It is a story about Rodriguez, a man who had two albums out in the States in the early 70's and never made it, but was reviled as a living legend in South Africa. A few musicologists track him down after 25 years and in 1998 he finally received a hero's welcome in South Africa. If you love music and a great story please rent this movie!!!!!!!!!! It gave me goosebumps!  After the movie, my friend Ivan and I went downstairs to learn more about him. He seems to be doing well and playing concerts all over the world. I am so glad for this humble man.  Now for the exciting ending ... in reading about him, I found out today, July 10th, is his birthday ... how's that for karma!   HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIXTO RODRIGUEZ ... you now have two more fans!  (Mike De Martino)   
>>>I've been hearing quite a bit about this film lately but still haven't seen it.  Yours sounds like a pretty glowing recommendation!  Thanks, Mike!  (kk)   
We also heard from Tom Cuddy, who referred to "Searching For Sugarman" as a "Must See" film ... and then THIS note from Alex Valdez of The Yellow Balloon ...   
Kent and others; 
You all should see the movie "Searching For Sugarman". 
It is a feel good movie about someone who really deserved recognition. It will satisfy anyone with a heart. The guy sounded like James Taylor or vice versa, but lyrically superior to others of the day IMHO. 
I think the good brother that commented on the film earlier this week did not intend the word "reviled" to describe the South African sentiment for Rodriguez. Better stated, he was held at a level higher than Elvis. When you have an album that is over 40 years old, and even the little kids can recite all the lyrics, it must be something.  And the real kicker is that the artist has no idea that his album is huge. Again I say , this story is one of a kind and unbelievable to say the least. Five stars I give it. 
Alex Valdez  

And Alex has more to say about another one of our goosebumps comments ...  

>>>Something to go along with the 'Goosebump' song was when you first heard an MOR song on a AC radio station (usually when you were in your parent's car)  that you became a fan of but had to keep it to yourself, as it wouldn't be 'kool' to let your friends know! I loved 1968's  "Les Bicyclettes De Belsize" by Engelbert Humperdink but no way I could let my friends know about that one. I would enjoy to learn if others had 'secret songs'.  (John)  
Go ahead John, I'm with you. Les Bicyclettes De Belsize is one of my all time favorites. In fact, I used to practice voice to it, as Englebert could sing his ass off. I got to where I could mimic it pretty good. "Winter World Of Love" was another favorite for practicing. 
As it turns out when I go outside to my backyard I look up the hill at his house which is less than a mile away. I hear he goes between the crib in England and here. So don't be ashamed he truly is a great voice. 
Alex


Hey Kent,
Reading your comment about you, Mark and Dave singing "She Loves You" for Grandma ... that would have been a great 8mm moment!!!
But then you mention having to get a haircut and that sparked a childhood memory for me as well. My Aunt Lou always used to cut my hair. She was a part time beautician and always cut everybody's hair. Anyways, I remember being at her house when the Beatles made their second appearance on Sullivan from "Miama Beach" (as Ed would say) and I was getting a haircut of all things!!! My Ma would have none of that long haired shit either!! 
However, I did have a Beatle wig!!! And here's that picture again to live on forever on the FH website!! Looks like I couldn't figure out whether I wanted to be Lennon or Roy Clark ... lol!!! 
Mike


Good Afternoon Kent,
I am truly overjoyed by your spectacular "Goosebumps Moments" series ... it broadens our knowledge and introduces us to newer music we may have missed. Heck, some of the PBS specials have heightened my appreciation of songs by seeing the artists perform their hits and learning a little about them. "Then He Kissed Me" comes to mind and how young La La Brooks was at the time (I may have that wrong but seeing the interview and hearing the song again moved it way up on my personal favorites playlist.) As well as Ronnie Spector being able to sing her five favorites absent studio control.
We all have our own personal playlists and we all create our favorite song mixes either on Tape, CD, or Ipod playlist, and it got me to thinking there are many songs which I consider 'related' I.E. House of the Rising Sun / Honky Tonk Woman.  One of my favorite cassettes has the Cow Bell start of Honky Tonk Woman kicking in as House fades away. I consider them a match made in Music Heaven. I often 'pair' songs up. Another example would be Big Yellow Taxi / Tar & Cement ... very much related. My daughter went to LMU in LA and we went to establish her in her dorm with the help of my Brother and Sister in law who live in Calif. The entire trip I couldn't get those two songs out of mind, trying to imagine the natural beauty of the California coast in the fifties and what it was at the time, ribbons of highways despoiling the natural beauty that was, and the songs resonate that loss.
I am getting off track, but what I am proposing is another "Hook" to energize and engage your readership by having them come up with their own favorite Song Pairings.  It gets the mind and memory working and is basically what the site is about enjoying 'our' musical memories and shared experiences.
Have a great weekend,
CharlieOFD
I'll bet our list could come up with some real good "blends" ... and there are some really creative deejays out there who live for this kind of stuff.  I, too, would try to get creative when making tapes to listen to in the car ... what fit well with what.  Might be an interesting topic somewhere down the line.  Thanks, Charlie ... and for the kind words, too.  Our Goosebumps Series seemed to really hit the spot with many of the folks on our list.  (kk)   

Kent,
That was a very good piece you wrote for Saturday's goosebumps finale. There is something so deep and meaningful about shared experiences through the bond of music, and FH has helped thousands realize what you said about our parallel lives. Thank you for doing this.
David Lewis     

Kent,
What an exceptional issue of Forgotten Hits ... you really are capturing the pulse of the music biz through the Top 40 years.  When you listened to the radio over the years, a Top 40 station was like reading Forgotten Hits ... you may hear Led Zeppelin, The Rip Chords, Bill Pursell, and Skeeter Davis all on the same station and during one shift.  Sometimes chart numbers didn't always reflect the popularity of a song, as it may be a group's first hit, or they were possibly building momentum or catching on with their second hit, or maybe a group released a great song but it wasn't received as well because people were burning out on the group, their sound, or a format.  Bottom line: great music survives and rises to the top as a classic.  A perfect example of that was "Old Time Rock & Roll" by Bob Seger ... it topped out at #28 in 1979 in Billboard and went on to become a Classic.  Forgotten Hits gets more interesting to read with every issue!
Thank-You,
Tim Kiley 

Thanks so much, Tim, for the kind words ... and you're absolutely right ... for YEARS all of this great music was able to survive and be presented side by side without all the radio segregation going on today.  As such, the listener was exposed to the full gamut of musical styles on the landscape ... British Rock, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Easy Listening, Country and Western, Rhythm and Blues, Surf Music, Soul Music ... every bit of it came at us every day ... and somehow it all fit, contributing to a well-rounded station and a well-rounded and appreciative listener.  And that is EXACTLY the message we've been trying to convey now for the past fourteen years in Forgotten Hits.  Because those of us who were there at the time remember ... and remember just how magical it really was.  Throw the talented deejays into the mix who were allowed to express their personality on the air (rather than just give the time and call letters every fifteen minutes) and you had a formula that kept people tuned in all day and all night long.  Radio today doesn't seem to have a clue ...  or, more accurately, really doesn't seem to care.  They program to the occasional listener who only tunes in for 10-20 minutes at a time, with no regard for those of us who would listen all day long if there were only something worth listening TO!!!  Thanks again.  (kk)  

Wow Kent ... 
Your summation of the Goosebump moments segment gave me Goosebumps! 
What a lovely way to bring it home.
Thanks -
Stacee
It's because we're connected ... all of us ... and Forgotten Hits has just become the power source that keeps those feelings going on inside us.  Thanks, Stacee!  (kk)