Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A Few Of Your Mid-Week Comments


Been awhile! 

Since we last talked Mick Jagger has already had his heart replacement valve surgery and is already on the mend.  In fact, it sounds like The Stones are expecting him to be back in action pretty quickly … they’ve already begun rescheduling their postponed shows for July!

All in all, this is pretty miraculous … The Stones typically perform a very long show, during which Jagger still puts on a very strenuous, high energy performance … not to mention the rigors that go along with a tour of this nature to begin with.  He really needs to be in tip-top shape prior to taking this on … and I’m not sure this represents a sufficient recovery period.

Because several of these shows were scheduled to take place at outdoor football stadiums, they now need to figure out a way to wrap things up before the new football season kicks into high gear!

Stay tuned for a complete, updated list of appearances.  (If you already have tickets, they will be honored for these new show dates.  And, if people opted to take a refund instead, it just may free up some additional seats for several of these appearances!)  kk

FH Reader Frank B suggests that THIS might be a good track to honor The Mickster’s recent surgery …





Because of Mick’s little health set-back, The Stones had to cancel their appearance at New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival scheduled for May 2nd

No worries … Fleetwood Mac steps in to cover the gig …

Until Stevie Nicks had to bow out because of a bad case of the flu. (As a wise man once said, “What a drag it is getting old.”)  The remaining dates of their tour will need to be rescheduled while Stevie recuperates.

Luckily she was in fine form at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony, where she stole the show with her acceptance speech.  (You can catch the ceremony highlights on HBO beginning on Saturday, April 27th)

I guess we can expect to see more of this sort of thing … the last decade has not been good to rock and roll … and it’s really painful for all of us to see our heroes getting older, having health issues and leaving us.  All of a sudden, they’re human, rolling out of bed with the same aches and pains and ailments that many of us are suffering as we get older.  (It ain’t as easy as it used to be!!!)

Also sidelined ... for the rest of 2019 (!) is Ozzy Osbourne!
Ozzy released an official statement explaining that he's recovering from an injury that was "sustained while dealing with his recent bout of pneumonia." Osbourne had previously postponed his entire UK and European tour while he was recovering in the hospital from pneumonia and a hand infection that sidelined him last year.  

"I can't believe I have to reschedule more tour dates," Osbourne said in his new statement. "Words cannot express how frustrated, angry and depressed I am not to be able to tour right now. I'm grateful for the love and support I'm getting from my family, my band, friends and fans. It's really what's keeping me going. Just know that I am getting better every day. I will fully recover ... I will finish my tour ... I will be back!" 

And talking about upcoming exciting concerts, The Eagles have announced that they will only be performing TWO SHOWS in North American during 2019 … and they’re both going to be held at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas!

Tickets go on sale this Friday, April 12th, to the general public … but once again American Express card holders were able to take advantage of an earlier presale that began on Monday, April 8th.  (This would be an AWESOME show to see … and a GREAT way to cap off the year … and they’re not all that expensive, comparatively speaking … of course that doesn’t include what you’ll lose at the tables and the slot machines!!!  Show dates are scheduled for September 27th and 28th.) 
More info here:



The other day we ran the brand new video by Dennis DeYoung and Jim Peterik for their song “Proof Of Heaven” from the forthcoming World Stage CD (due out on the 26th of this month.)  

Love that ‘Proof Of Heaven’ video … just sensational!
David Salidor 

Jim is especially proud of the lyrics to this song, which he sent me to post:


Proof Of Heaven 
Tell me all you know
Whisper in my ear
The secrets of the universe
We’re dying all to hear


I promise not to tell
Well, maybe just my wife
Please explain the mystery
They call the afterlife


’Cause I believe, I believe
I tell myself everyday
When I look around, I see
A world in disarray
But I keep on hoping, I keep on hoping

We search for proof of heaven
We seek the sacred light
We kneel with saints and sinners
Hoping for the black and white


We look for guardian angels
We pray for saving grace
We search for proof of heaven
In every stranger’s face


And tell me one more thing
Why all this mystery
Are there any more like us
Out in distant galaxies


‘Cause everyone I know (everyone I know)
From here to who-knows-where
Wants to know the reasons why
Oh, life can be unfair


But I believe, I believe
I tell myself everyday (everyday)
But when I look around, I see
A world that’s gone astray
Still, I keep on hoping, living, coping


We search for proof of heaven
We seek the sacred light
We kneel with saints and sinners
Hoping for the black and white


We look for guardian angels
We pray for saving grace
We search for proof of heaven
In every stranger’s face


Can you see the signs of heaven
Right before your very eyes
Can you feel the hope inside us
Shining, shining


Can’t you hear the sound of music
Through the streets of paradise
Can’t you hear the bells of freedom
Chiming, chiming


We search for proof of heaven
In each and every face
We look for signs of mercy
And pray for saving grace


I swear by all that’s holy
If we’re to rise again
We’ll find that our salvation
Is always found within


We search for proof of heaven (proof of heaven)
In each and every face
We look for signs of mercy
And pray for saving grace


I swear by all that’s holy (this I swear)
If we’re to rise again (we’ll rise again)
We’ll find that our salvation
Is always found within


We’ll rise again 

The duo are finishing up a new CD’s worth of material as well … and some vintage Jim Peterik music made the “New Releases” list this week as the video was also released for the brand new New Found Glory version of “Eye Of The Tiger.”  (Think Survivor … with a little too much sugar!) 
The brand new video was released yesterday … but when I went to post it this morning, I noticed that the clip has been pulled from YouTube … so not quite sure what’s up with that.  Let’s just say it’s pretty intense.  (If it becomes available again, we will definitely let you know!)  kk 

We will have a copy of the new World Stage CD to give away to a lucky Forgotten Hits Reader … you can register now by dropping me an email.

And, Davie Allan is also sending us a copy of his brand new “Retrophonic 6” CD to give away.

Interested in winning a copy?

Drop us a line with “CD Giveaway” in the subject line, specify which CD you’re interested in winning and we’ll throw your name into the proverbial Forgotten Hits Hat!  (kk)

FH Reader Ken Voss tells us that an original founding member of The O'Jays has passed away ...
https://www.chicagotribune.com/la-me-william-carvan-iles-dead-20190405-story.html 

Hi Kent,
What an Extra Fabulous Edition of Forgotten Hits!
Great to hear about the Dick Biondi Documentary that will soon be seen!  A great tribute to a man that made ALL things happen with Rock and Roll.  Thank you, Pam, for all your dedicated work!
So glad to see that Jimy Sohns / Shadows of Knight's “Gloria" made it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  And in my Top Ten of Favorites, "Money" will be honored too!  What a line:  "Your Love Gives Me Such a Thrill, But Your Love Don't Pay My Bills ... Give Me Money!!!
The Searchers, one of my favorite British Invasion Groups, will be missed, but what wonderful memories they gave us.  Along with the "Chicago Groups Invasion," the "British Invasion" was the BEST!!!
Keep Up the Great Work, Kent ...
And isn't it nice to hear "I Got You Babe" on a recent commercial? Sonny Bono would be proud.
Carolyn 
There are SO many great songs being used in commercials again right now.  The other night while I was tabulating more votes for our Classic Rock Countdown, within the span of an hour I heard “Give A Little Bit,” Joe Cocker’s version of “Feelin’ All-Right,” “Walk This Way” and “Me And Julio Down By The School Yard” … plus, on that new show “Whiskey Cavaliere,” foreign language versions of Lindsay Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” and the Ram Jam classic “Black Betty.”  With TV music THIS good, you almost don’t even have to turn on the radio!  (kk)

We evidently posted a bad link to the article about the Frank Zappa Hologram Show coming up … so here it is again for all of you who wrote in asking for more information … 
http://recordcollectornews.com/2019/03/the-bizarre-world-of-zappa/ 

And, speaking of hologram tours, the new music recorded for the ABBA tour is expected to be released in September of this year.  (They apparently have run into numerous delays prepping this … jeez, it might have been easier to put together a REAL tour instead!!!)  kk  

Hey Kent,
I just heard my favorite Grass Roots song on an oldies station today.
"Lovin' Things" was written and first recorded by Artie Schroeck back in '68. The Marmalade recorded the first cover of it, which was never heard in the US, back then. It sounds quite a bit like The Grass Roots' version. I like the original lyrics and key change towards the end of The Marmalade's recording, but you can't beat Rob Grill's vocals, Hal Blaine's drums, and the brass section for the great sound of the Grass Roots' release. What a shame it only made it to #49 on the charts! Bobby Rydell also recorded the song.
 - John LaPuzza 
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4j2uul 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayzA6OMEWDI  

John also sent us this article on Blood, Sweat and Tears' rightful place in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ...  

Hey Kent,
Here is a good article from a few months ago.
- John LaPuzza 
https://edgeinducedcohesion.blog/2018/11/16/why-arent-they-in-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-blood-sweat-tears/  

Hi Kent,
Really liked the Searchers piece ... I always thought they deserved more attention, too ... great band.
Keep hammering, my friend.  I do enjoy the blog.
Blessings - 
Barry

And finally, here's a shot of Micky Dolenz committing the ultimate no-no ... sitting in Sheldon's chair on the set of The Big Bang Theory!

As Micky Dolenz preps for a series of solo shows and a Mike & Micky tour of Australia and New Zealand this June, he visited the set of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory last week – one of their last tapings and sat in Sheldon’s chair for a photo.
Any follower of the show knows, sitting in Sheldon’s chair is a no-no.