Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Some Last Minute Comments


Chuck Buell here to share with you the perfect T-Day Wardrobe, which most of our Radio FHs Brothers and Sisters will surely understand and maybe even a few of our ‘civilian’ friends, too!

And here's wishing you that your Thanxgiving Day is all it should be and more!

CB ( Which stands for “Carving Boy!” )
With God as my witness, I swear I thought turkeys could fly!  (kk)

By the way, you can catch the rock group Chicago performing on the Hallmark Cards Float at this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade when it airs Thursday Morning on NBC beginning at 9 am ET.  They’ll be playing a selection from their brand new Christmas CD, the band’s FOURTH!!!  (kk)

And, segueing into Christmas from Thanksgiving (something we’re ALL going to have to do, like it or not!  Lol) …

Kent,
Like you, I had never seen that Mike Douglas clip of the Royal Guardsmen singing Snoopy’s Christmas. What was really special about it was they were playing to a track but the lead vocals were live ... and really done well. I was expecting a lip sync but it wasn’t! Nice work, Barry!
Mike Hartman
Yep, that was a new one on me … but I thoroughly enjoyed it!
1967 was DEFINITLY their year … FOUR Top 50 Hits that year … SNOOPY VS. THE RED BARON (#1); THE RETURN OF THE RED BARON (#14), AIRPLANE SONG (#46) AND SNOOPY’S CHRISTMAS (#10).  A year later they would release one of MY favorites … their version of The Rascals’ tune BABY LET’S WAIT (#33, 1968)  kk

We had the extreme pleasure of being there last Saturday at Barbara’s Book Store in Vernon Hills for The Ides Of March mini-acoustic concert, followed by the signing of copies of their brand new 2020-2021 two-year calendar, copies of their new album, available on both vinyl and CD, their retrospective career CD Box Set (now in very limited supply so if you’ve ever thought about getting a copy, NOW would be the time to do so) and Jim’s book “Through The Eye Of The Tiger,” a great and intimate autobiography of this man’s incredible career.

Photo ops were minimal … but Frannie was able to take these two:

For all of you out-of-towners, please know that ALL of these materials are available thru Jim’s websites: 
http://jimpeterik.com/merchandise/
https://theidesofmarch.com/store/
(Tell him Forgotten Hits sent you and he’ll probably even sign them for you!)  kk

Locals can catch The Ides THIS FRIDAY (November 29th) at the Annual Tree -Lighting Ceremony in Elk Grove Village.  Festivities kick off at 4 pm with The Ides taking the stage at 4:30 for a one hour concert. (Hoping for a better prognosis weather-wise … right now they’re forecasting a high of 40-degrees with rain!)
The following night they'll be appearing at the sold out Cornerstones Of Rock Show at The Arcada Theatre ...
And then, of course, they've got their Annual Christmas Show at The Arcada on December 14th.

I just got through looking at a picture of you with the Ides of March.  I'm so happy you get to be part of the lives of these artists.  How exciting!
Nikki
Most of the artists who participate with Forgotten Hits see this as “the greater good” … a GREAT way to meet and stay in touch with their fans … keep them abreast of new releases and concert appearances … and portray them in a more down-to-earth, “real people” scenario.  And the kid in me still absolutely LOVES it!  Who doesn’t enjoying getting out to see a great concert by a great band!  Win / Win, all the way around!  (P.S.  You'll find a new one of us above!)  kk

By the way, Elk Grove Village has already announced their Summer Concert Series, too …
This year you can catch: 
Daughtry on Saturday, July 4th, Bret Michaels on Tuesday, July 14th, KC and the Sunshine Band on Tuesday, July 21st and The Beach Boys on Tuesday, July 28th

The B-Sides show was so successful on Sam Tallerico’s Lost And Found Oldies Show that he’s already doing it again!
Be sure to tune in on Saturday, December 7th, for the next installment.
(A Listen Live Link is provided below) 
https://streema.com/radios/WVKR_FM 

Hiya, Kent!
The next B-sides special will be Saturday, December 7th, from 1 – 3 pm ET, available by searching WVKR on your favorite radio streaming app. We plan to feature more of your readers' selections as well as several of our own.
Thanks for the inspiration, Kent.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families, online and genu-ine.
Sam 

A big shake-up on the Rock Hall Ballot since we last checked …
The Dave Matthews Band has now taken over the lead with right around 600,000 votes, pulling ahead of Pat Benatar (525,000) and The Doobie Brothers (475,000).  Rounding out The Top Five, we find Sound Garden (450,000 votes) and Judas Priest (400,000 votes).  Whitney Houston is currently in sixth place with a little over 350,000 votes.
A few of our choices have fallen seriously behind … Todd Rundgren’s got just over 250,000 votes, T-Rex 200,000 and Rufus is bringing up the rear at just under 100,000 votes.
Remember … you can cast YOUR vote here:
https://vote.rockhall.com/ 

It's ironic that i stumbled across your oldies forgotten hits site today ...
I have a Facebook page dedicated to all of the beautiful musical memories that Mr. Jack Scott left to each and every one of us.  It has been 60 years since his first gold record, "What In The World's Come Over You," which is just one of many he so deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for.  He, and many others like him, paved the way with their gold records for those that are now being inducted.
I try to make people aware of this on my Facebook page ... "FRIENDS THAT LOVE JACK SCOTT” … I pray that he can get the recognition that he so deserves  and perhaps one day his family will be able to see him rock that Cleveland stage.
Believe it or not, at 83 years old just two years ago Jack Scott headlined in Las Vegas  and then jumped on a plane to headline in England.
I would so appreciate it if you could play some of his awesome tunes. I do so love listening to all the oldies, and thanks to y'all, perhaps real rock and roll is here to stay.
Thank you so very much  for your time … and y'all have a blessed holiday.
Bonnie Dejean



Jack’s name has come up in conjunction with The Rock And Roll Hall Of Name Nominating Ballot many times over the past twenty years … he certainly does have an allegiance of fans.
Although they’ll vehemently deny it, The Rock Hall seems to have some type of aversion to Canadian artists … he fact that Scott, Paul Anka, The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive (and of course their constituents, Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings) have never even so much as made the ballot seems to prove otherwise.  (Yet someone like Neil Young can get TRIPLE inducted … it just doesn’t seem fair somehow!)
Happy to pass your info along … I remember a petition being circulated many, many years ago with names soliciting his induction … like so many petitions before it, it went nowhere … it’s just not the way The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame operates.  They have always taken an approach of “We know music and you don’t” attitude … and it’s really hard to break through.  Sadly as more and more time passes, more and more worthy artists are forgotten hit the dust, in order to concentrate on newly eligible nominees who did little to really change the course of rock music.
It’s sad in a way … short of saying that everyone who actually deserved to get in there was already inducted thirty years ago, it seems to operate more as a “boys club” rather than a true tribute to all the artists who helped shape rock and roll music and make it what it is today.  (kk) 

I did not participate much in the voting for the Top 3333 Most Essential Classic Rock Songs list, but I do check it each morning.
And (for me), the timing was perfect.
Most mornings during baseball season, I check the standings, box scores and stats soon after I wake up.  Since this TOP 3333 began quite close to the end of baseball season, checking the TOP 3333 List has become part of my morning routine.
I download anything on your list I don't already have on my computer.  Today, I only had to 'grab' four songs - and two of those I had on LPs or cassettes already.
I've already burned nine CDs of songs from your list, mostly of songs I already have (somewhere in my collection), but which aren't in "frequent enough airplay" in my world.  And I have enough songs selected for several more already; just haven't burned them yet.
I gave up on radio listening, for the most part, decades ago.  No station in my area plays anything close to a mix of what I want to hear.  And since I have a rather vast collection of my own, I essentially program my own personal airwaves.
Thanks again for the gargantuan undertaking this is / was / has been / will be.
Brad
Readership has definitely spiked since we hit The Top 1000 … and I expect it will go up again when we begin revealing The Top 500 next Monday, December 2nd.  Still hoping this whole concept has “legs” and that we can garner some airplay next year, even as limited countdowns here and there.  We’ll keep you posted!  (kk)

Remember ... you can check the countdown daily here:
https://classicrockessentials.blogspot.com/ 

Here’s a cool shot of The Happy Days Cast reuniting for a tribute to show creator Garry Marshall … 

 
(L-R):  Ralph, Richie, Fonz, Mrs. C and Posty


The show lasted for an incredible 255 episodes … and spawned three successful spin-off series:  Joannie Love Chachi, Laverne And Shirley and Mork and Mindy … pretty incredible in hindsight (and virtual television domination at the time!)  When you think of franchises put together by Shonda Rhimes, Ryan Murphy, Aaron Spelling, Dick Wolf, etc., Garry Marshall’s name isn’t one that immediately jumps from the tongue … but this guy had an absolute hit-machine working in the ‘70’s! (kk) 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US! 
Hi Kent:
Just wanted to wish you a happy 20th anniversary. 
Forgotten Hits is a goldmine of info for music fans of the golden age of rock 'n' roll. Hope you continue to work your magic for many decades to come.
It's a daily highlight for me and many more of us that love this music. Thanks again for keeping it alive and for your dedication and hard work. Have a terrific Thanksgiving!
Santi Paradoa
Miami, Florida
Thank you, Santi … and for sticking with us for as long as you have.
We’re always looking for new ways to keep things interesting, fun and exciting … and, believe it or not, I’ve still got a few more tricks up my sleeve … so hang in there with us a little longer!  (lol) [I don’t know about ‘many decades to come’ … but I am STILL hellbent on making it to The Year 2525 just to see if Zager and Evans were right!!!]  kk

Kent,
Congratulations!
On behalf of The Buckinghams, we wish you continued success for many years to come. As we travel around the country performing, we always look forward to reading Forgotten Hits!
Thank you,
Carl Giammarese
The Buckinghams

How Cool!
Congrats!
Davie Allan


Hi Kent -
Congratulations on 20 years!
It’s amazing what you have created and I'm sure you know the important place you hold for the legion of music fans who look forward to each new installment.
Thanks for all your hard work to keep the best music ever created alive!
Mark Pheanis


That WAS a different era. 
Congrats Kent,
Still Rockin’
Paul


Wow, congratulations, Kent. A whole lot of people have come to welcome and enjoy your newsletter.
Well done!
Best regards,
Jeff March


Kent,
Congratulations on 20 years of Forgotten Hits. Checking out Forgotten Hits is a daily requirement for me. The information you provide is great and is often a springboard to my searching other sites for memories and information about music. In addition, your inclusion of concerts in the Chicago area has resulted in occasional short vacations there from our Milwaukee-area home.
Keep up the great work, it’s appreciated by this Wisconsin fan.
Bob Verbos

Hi Kent,
A Heartfelt Happy 20th Anniversary to YOU for "Forgotten Hits." 
They said a loooooong time ago that Rock n Roll would never last … and you helped to prove them wrong!!!
Keep up the FANTASTIC WORK " to keep the Music Alive" like pioneers Alan Freed and Dick Clark and Dick Biondi etc., etc., etc., etc.
Carolyn 
I wasn’t there for the beginning of rock and roll …
But we’re doing our part to help keep the fires burning.
Thank you!  (kk) 

>>>So HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY TO US  (kk) 
Kent, 
Happy 20th!!!
I am not sure how long I have been reading FH, but likely 15 years or so.  Seems like at one time you had a "60's Shop" site I visited?
Wish I woulda been on aol in 1999.  I was first on internet in 2001 and used various companies before joining aol in about 2004, I think(?)  I was on a radio djs yahoo group, but never even knew aol had groups to this day.  Good thing, in a way ... like with facebook, twitter, etc., just no time for all of that stuff.  Glad YOU kept with website, so it worked out well for me!!!
I was (like many) tipped off by a buddy and I was enthralled by the thought that you let OTHER people comment and add things to your site.  With working and having no knowledge of internet workings to do such a thing -- and NO ideas to go with that, I thought "Hey what a great way to share my collection!"  I started doing such with my 60's obscure music radio show from 1980-89 locally and then with CD booklet work 1990-2014 (or so), but have never had the outlet FH has given me and MET so many great people at the same time.
Thanks, Kent, for going the distance!
WLSClark Besch


Congratulations –
Something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day ...
Joy to you and your family.
Carol Ross


Hi Kent -
Congratulations on twenty!  
Thanks for all of your help with past programs, countdowns, and trivia for my radio shows.
I am looking forward to your 33 1/3 and your 45th Forgotten Hits milestones.
Phil - WRCO


Kent,
I remember you inviting me to join the 60sshop as you called it back 20 years ago. I had a computer, but no internet access at the time. It would be a couple years before I did. Of course, I had you put me on the mailing list then.
As my music business, Rock And Roll Never Forgets, prepares to celebrate 30 years on New Year's Day, who woulda thunk that we'd still be bitching about what isn't played on the radio for the over 40 years we've known each other. Congratulations.
Jack
To clarify … because several people wrote in to ask me about this …
When I first signed on to AOL for the very first time back in 1999, I didn’t know ANYTHING about the Internet or Chat Rooms or any of that stuff … I learned along the way … and when I found out that AOL did, in fact, provide a chat room to discuss Oldies, I opted in right away.  Attendance grew so quickly that we soon had three or four oldies rooms going at any given point in time.  (I think back then the capacity for any chat room was 35 people … which coincided perfectly for my first newsletter launch.)
In order to sign on, you had to pick a screen name … so I selected The60sShop … and that’s what I went by for a good many years.  The newsletter, launched November 26th, 1999, however was IMMEDIATELY called Forgotten Hits as my vision was to do a periodic update, featuring songs and artists that I KNEW people would remember as soon as they heard them … they just weren’t being given the opportunity to do so yet as terrestrial radio was locked into a 200-300 song play list … period.
Over time, this too, grew.  Internet stations started popping up offering a MUCH wider range of variety … and oldies station across the country the embraced the concept started inviting me on the air to play some of our “forgotten hits.”
Finally, at some point and time (and I honestly can’t say when … but I believe it had to be 2007), Scott Shannon … one of the all-time BIGS in radio … told me that I HAD to change the name to Forgotten Hits … it was just getting too confusing by having The60sShop still attached to it.  (Several radio folks since then have suggested that I call it “Kent Kotal’s Forgotten Hits” … but I have always shied away from that because for me, Forgotten Hits has ALWAYS been “communal” … what makes it work is the input of ALL of our readers … who have been able to share thoughts and memories right alongside the deejays who were playing this music and the artists themselves, who were there at the time, creating all this great music that we all still know and love.
It was the PERFECT blend … and it’s been Forgotten Hits (only) ever since.  (Although I still dream of someday getting “60sShop” vanity license plates!  Lol)
Forgotten Hits is … and as always been … a group effort.  It works because ALL of you out there participate and make it work.  I have learned SO much over the past twenty years about music, songs and artists … things I thought I knew that have been clarified for me in ways that would never have been attainable otherwise.
Fortunately, we have been among those who have had the honor of rewriting and clarifying some of this history … and establishing new, documented facts.
We have covered SO much ground over the past twenty years … I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to look something one for one of our “Helping Out Our Readers” segments, only to find that the #1 reference is ME because it’s something I already covered 10-15 years ago!!!  It never ceases to blow me away!
It has been one heck of a ride … but it ONLY works if you guys are out there to react to it.  It HAS to be interactive in order to survive.  So please … keep those cards and letters comin’, folks … because without you, I’ve got very little left to write about!  Lol)  kk

kk:
Do you know how many of those original 35 e-mail subscribers are still around?  
FLASHBACK:  11/22/1963 - 
Lee Harvey Oswald is having breakfast and planning his day …
1 = Assassinate President Kennedy
2 = Go to the movies
3 = Go to the Dick Clark show  try to get Bobby Vee's autograph.
(You're not buying it???)
I haven't seen the PBS Phil Spector Christmas Special yet ... don't think it’s on here in New York till December.
FB
Because I no longer have that original list, I can't say for certain ... but I’m going to say that probably right around half have stuck with us every step of the way.  And word-of-mouth was so good that the list very quickly grew to about 200 subscribers inside of the first couple of months … and many of those folks still consider themselves to be “originals” since they were there from the beginning, although not necessarily the VERY beginning.
You’ll enjoy the PBS Christmas thing … and The Drifters’ performance will absolutely blow you away!  Watch for it. It’s supposed to air at least twice in December. (kk)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!!!



LOTS more coming in the days and weeks to come ... so please check back regularly for new postings!  (kk)