Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Tuesday This And That

You know, I am probably the ONLY Beatles Fan in America that didn’t receive his “Revolver” deluxe box set on Friday.  That’s because once again … for the second time in six months … our bank account was hacked into and the bank locked it to prevent any further activity.  And, since Amazon doesn’t charge your card until the item actually ships (a GREAT policy, by the way … unless you’ve been waiting for something like this for the past few months!), my copy now isn’t arriving until sometime later today, which means I’ll also likely be the last Beatles fan in America to listen to and devour all these new tracks.

Fortunately, The Beatles Channel has been real good about playing the heck out of it (as they should!), so I HAVE been able to enjoy several of these early mixes and renditions.  It’s just SO frustrating to be waiting for something like this and then be denied it because some asshole in Washington State hacked into my account and tried to steal $1600!!!  (Of course HE doesn’t suffer at all … we can’t even press charges against the guy because technically he didn’t actually steal anything … because the bank stopped the check from going thru.)  Meanwhile, I had to spend seven hours on Saturday between sitting at the bank opening up all new accounts and then heading home to switch over all of my bill paying to this new information, many of whom were unable to help me (because it was the weekend) until the next business day.  And, to make matters worse, as I sat there for seven hours, I couldn’t even listen to the new “Revolver” box set while I was waiting!!!  (It’s a vicious circle, I tell ya!)

Anyway, Spotify now has the entire set of 5-CD’s up for streaming … so that’s pretty cool …

As is Harvey Kubernik garnering the cover story in Disc Collector Magazine with his coverage of the new Beatles “Revolver” box set!  (WTG, Harvey!)  kk


Jerry Lee is just one example, but I am beginning to wonder if hearing their own death announcement encourages people to give up? I know you will say their deaths were probably imminent, but how would you feel hearing it? It is very disturbing to me to have this continue as it has.

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

I’m not so sure that by this point Jerry was even aware of what was being written or said about him.  His wife said that he told her that he was ready to go … I think that in this case anyway, he already knew his run was over.  (kk)

LINDA GAIL LEWIS, Sister Of Rock Legend JERRY LEE LEWIS, Honors The Memory Of Her Brother And Looks to Keep The Family Tradition Alive! 

The world mourns the passing of one of music’s most beloved figures, rock n’ roll pioneer and piano-playing icon, Jerry Lee Lewis who died on Friday at the age of 87. Lewis is a cultural figure of gigantic importance, the first “wild man” of rock n’ roll who won multiple Grammy awards, influenced countless artists including The Beatles, and gifted the world with some of the most memorable songs including “Great Balls Of Fire,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “High School Confidential” and many, many more!

Lewis is survived by, among others, his sister Linda Gail Lewis, an incredible music talent in her own right, who just recently completed a US tour with rockabilly guitarist Danny B. Harvey and her daughter Annie Marie Lewis, where they performed some of her brother’s classic songs to enthusiastic audiences. She also recently released a collection of her early work Early Sides 1963-1973, which includes two duet tracks with Jerry Lee, as well as a live DVD entitled Family Jewels. Linda Gail also recently teamed with another famous family member, Mickey Gilley, for a version of “Splish Splash” that features Ann-Margret, Danny B. Harvey’s band The Rockats. In addition, Linda Gail Lewis is preparing a heartfelt tribute album to her brother as well as a rockabilly cover album with a series of special guest stars to be released later this year.

Linda Gail had this to say on the passing of her brother and her role as his musical heir:

I can’t believe my big brother is gone … my world will never be the same again. From the first moment I opened my eyes, he’s been my protector and inspiration.  As a child, I grew up watching him play piano in our house and developing his distinctive piano and vocal style that would change the world only a few years later. Jerry is the one that first took me into the studio, made me sing my first notes and record my first record at 15 as a duet with him. I owe my entire career and my life to him! Every unforgettable experience, every song we sang together, every stage we shared on the road for over two decades will never be forgotten by me, and hopefully not anyone that was there.

The world has lost a light that we’ve been blessed with for 87 years. I hope, in my own humble way, I can keep my brother’s memory alive and as long as I can breathe, every breath will be a tribute to his legacy, the greatest piano player, singer and brother the world has ever known. God bless you Jerry Lee Lewis, I love you!”

Across the country and around the globe, select events are being planned to mark the passing of the great Jerry Lee Lewis and to celebrate his life in a way that would make him proud – with live musical tribute performances featuring Linda Gail performing along with several special celebrity guests.

Wanda Jackson made an interesting comment as well …  

For a good while now, Jerry Lee Lewis and I were the only ones living of the original rock ’n’ rollers of the 50s. Now, it only leaves me. Jerry was one of our great entertainers and I loved hearing his rock ’n’ roll songs, but oh my, what he did to a country ballad was incredible! The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum finally inducted him!  I’ll never forget Jerry Lee going to church with me while we were touring Canada, and he and I sharing a hymn book. I’ll miss you, old friend. Every day.  

 Wanda Jackson

And from Billboard Magazine …

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/jerry-lee-lewis-biggest-billboard-hits-1235162931/#recipient_hashed=fa7e92da6f6e66bffcf0bcbf863670c6eb37d7159eb4d0ea1e44fecd5ec87eeb&recipient_salt=3a1d6b09af3b92ad7e38f8327cf18febeb049fd1c9a251b66957a07d9375735c

What a picture!  

A man in bed being presented an award by a guy who is only one year younger, who I imagine will probably go out and play a softball game afterwards.  Both of them victims of Liquor, Drugs, Smokes, and Pussy.  

RIP in peace Killer.

Alex Valdez

One more, from FH Reader Robert Campbell ...

Don’t know if you have seen this, but I found it very interesting. Much better than all of the cookie cutter articles that came out this past week end.

https://500songs.com/podcast/episode-59-whole-lotta-shakin-goin-on-by-jerry-lee-lewis/

>>>Legendary Hall-of Fame Dee Jay Scott Shannon officially announced his retirement on Friday Morning during his on WCBS-FM in New York City.  (kk)

I have already expressed my personal feelings to Scott on his decision to leave WCBS, but I wanted to add here that Scott was one of my first supporters and told me to continue writing concert reviews for Forgotten Hits. You may have changed your mind on that, but TOO LATE, DEAR! And THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

 

>>>It's Another One Of Our Very Rare, Very Special Editions known as our Forgotten Hits SATURDAY EVENING POST!!!  (kk) 

So, I went out to that Secret, Undisclosed Location and read tonight's Special FHs Post!


Great FHs Saturday Night Post!

Fun, too, in that it reminds some of us of the Newspapers Heyday when a Story would hit and they'd print an Extra Edition later that Day!

 


Well Done, Kent!

CB ( which stands for "Circulation Boy!" )

 

>>>The fact that Chuck Buell had THIS much stuff ready to post for Halloween is just a little bit ... well ... scary!!!  Lol  (kk)

I went from laughing to worrying about CB's mental state BUT I really think we need to bring back The Halloween Pumpkin Happy Meal! (well, mostly the prices)

Shelley

HA!  My "Show Prep" Gene is still Healthy and Active and Ready for Action at a Moment's Notice!

CB


A few comments on some of the stuff you’ve been covering lately …

 

As to "Rock N Roll Heaven," I gotta say that the Climax version is just not very good and the Righteous Brothers certainly saved that song.  Today, tho, it has lost its shine for me and I prefer their follow-ups to it.  GREAT to see our old late friend Artie Wayne mentioned as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umIlAot-6hI

 

I think we talked before about the Mah Na Mah Na possibly being associated with the Chicago promoters on the WLS Hit Parade or maybe with Clark Weber at the time.  I always felt the song sounded exactly LIKE Art Roberts singing it!

 

As to Orpheus, try "I’ve Never Seen Love Like This" if you want to hear a song that shoulda been a big hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SraPcU18ioM

Clark Besch

 

Hi, Kent ...
I'm sorry if I missed something important during your discussion, but ... like most folks, I remember hearing that "Mah Na Mah Na" tune about 50 years ago, on all sorts of programs, even commercials.

Out of curiosity, after reading the comments of the past few days, I decided to look around a bit, and found a Wiki writeup ... who was Piero Umeliani?   He seems to have gotten the credit for the tune.

OK, now I understand. I see that Mr. Umiliani WAS the writer.  HIS recording, musically, is immediately recognizable, but there are probably a hundred recordings of the tune, by others, many of which were used on TV shows, cartoons, et al.
I like your site - I'm getting an education!

 

Mike

Your write-up on John Lodge made it sound like a great show ...

Too bad it looks like the tour is only going to be on east coast.

www.johnlodge.com/tour

Ken Voss

Unfortunately, that's true as things now stand ...

No official word yet as to whether or not he'll be adding more cities and dates to this upcoming tour.  (kk)

Taylor Swift set a record that can't be broken, only tied, this week, when she captured ALL TEN spots on Billboard's Hot 100 Pop Singles Chart.

The Beatles locked in The Top Five positions during the peak of Beatlemania in 1964 ...

And Michael Jackson scored SEVEN Top Ten Hits off of his "Thriller" album ... 

And once, Drake was able to tie up NINE of The Top Ten Positions ...

But this is the first time anyone has ever captured all ten.

In fact, all twenty tracks from her latest album, "Midnights," made The Hot 100.  (It also sold a million copies during its first week of release ... something else that just doesn't happen anymore these days.)

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/taylor-swift-midnights-chart-history-hot-100-1235163645/#recipient_hashed=fa7e92da6f6e66bffcf0bcbf863670c6eb37d7159eb4d0ea1e44fecd5ec87eeb&recipient_salt=3a1d6b09af3b92ad7e38f8327cf18febeb049fd1c9a251b66957a07d9375735c

It's a different era when it comes to keeping tabs on the pop charts ... and we've discussed and dissected it countless ways over these past twenty years or so ... so while we have to tip our hat and offer a hearty congratulations to Ms. Swift, we ALSO have to point out that, big as she is, Taylor Swift is NOT (nor will she ever be) a star of the magnitude of Michael Jackson or The Beatles.

But still, this IS a pretty remarkable achievement ... so WTG, Taylor!  (kk) 

JUST A THOUGHT:  Interestingly enough, Taylor Swift may have a tough time holding on to that #1 Album spot next week ... when she goes up against none other THAN The Beatles and their brand new "Revolver" box set!!!  (And THAT'S music that's 56 years old!!!) kk

Chuck Buell Forgotten Hitters Storytime ~~~

It’s sometimes hard to comprehend we’ve seen Music CDs come and go and that they’re now basically “Media History,” the story of their previous existence now to be passed along by Forgotten Hitters as just another of our spell-binding “Tales of the Past.”


“And then at the END of the CD, there’d sometimes be a Secret Bonus Track that wasn’t even in the Liner Notes Songs List!”

Ah, yes.  Those were the Days!

CB ( which stands for “Compact Boy!” )

For those of you who may be wondering, yes, this is another picture of me (R) and Chuck (L) from his recent visit to Chicago.

I don’t care … I still enjoy listening to CD’s in the car on the way to and from work!

(To be honest with you, other than when they would unwind inside the tape machine, I miss my old cassettes collection, too, as I was ALWAYS making custom tapes of my own for enjoyable traveling experiences.)  kk