Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Bits And Pieces

Kent:

Did you see this list? Another love song list from Billboard –

Tom Cuddy

https://www.billboard.com/lists/top-love-songs-all-time/lovin-you-minnie-riperton-hot-100-peak-no-1-1975-2/

I did not … and I have to admit that I like it better than their Cupid Countdown because first of all, it goes back to the beginning of The Hot 100 in 1958 instead of relying so much on the post-Top 40 era …

And it also has a much more clearly defined definition as to how the titles were selected.

(Still, by eliminating some of the “love” songs from 1955 – 1958, we lose a few more classics … “Love Me Tender” and “I Want You, I Need You, I Love You” by Elvis Presley, “Love Letters In The Sand” and “April Love” by Pat Boone, “Bye Bye Love” by The Everly Brothers, “Young Love” by Sonny James and/or Tab Hunter, “Papa Loves Mambo” by Perry Como, “Let Me Go, Lover” by Joan Weber, “Melody Of Love” by Billy Vaughn and “Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing” by The Four Aces … all of which made it to #1 before The Hot 100 launched in August of 1958.)

That being said, even on Billboard's "alternate" list, there are still quite a few titles here that don’t register very high on my “Timeless And Memorable” meter … but overall it’s not a bad list ... a bit more variety.  (kk)

 

Kent,

While watching the Super Bowl, I tried to take notice and write down any commercials in which the background music was made up of OUR songs.

Without naming the product, I noticed the following songs being used in backgrounds: LOOK OF LOVE, I GOT YOU (I FEEL GOOD), OOGUM BOOGUM, SHOUT, APACHE, REAL WILD CHILD, THEME FROM ROCKY, RIGHT PLACE WRONG TIME, SUMMER NIGHTS. There were about two or three others I couldn't come up with titles off hand. These were not necessarily done by the original groups or artists.

Larry Neal

Ultimate Classic Rock made a list of not only some of the great Classic Rock Music that was featured during this year’s Super Bowl commercials … but THIS year, all kinds of Classic Rock ARTISTS that were featured as well!!!

When would you ever expect to see commercials starring Elton John, Billy Idol, Paul Stanley of KISS, Ozzy Osbourne and Joan Jett?!?!

Elton was in a Doritos commercial (winning an award for Triangle Player of the Year!), while the others all shared a spot in a Workday Commercial asking us normal folks out here to please stop referring to our coworkers as “Rock Stars” … pretty funny stuff.

The John Travolta clip featuring “Summer Nights” was ranked one of the highest by those who run these types of polls … while WE loved the “Breaking Bad” spot, too.  (I thought the Ben Affleck / Jennifer Lopez bit was pretty cute … and so was that couple dancing around their living room to the “on hold” music.  Several others were also quite clever.)

As to Classic Rock songs we heard on Sunday that are NOT on your list, how about “I’m Alright” by Kenny Loggins from “Caddyshack,” “Simply The Best” by Tina Turner, “True” by Spandau Ballet and “Money For Nothing” by Dire Straits.  We also heard “The Safety Dance” by Men In Hats.  Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters paid tribute to Joni Mitchell and Rush in his salute to Canada, too. 

Rainbow’s “Since You’ve Been Gone” (one of my VERY favorites!) appeared in the commercial plugging the new “Guardians Of The Galaxy, Volume Three” movie, which ALWAYS feature great ‘70’s music as part of their soundtracks (with a few surprises like this one) … and Night Ranger’s “Sister Christian” is evidently also part of the new “Air” movie, which looks pretty interesting, too.

I didn’t notice them, but UCR also mentions Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Child” and Motley Crue’s “Live Wire.”

So yeah … our music is alive and well in commercial heaven!  (kk)

 

We’re hearing more and more rumblings about a Rolling Stones 2023 Tour … and possibly even a stop here in Chicago in late June!  (We just might have to go see them this time around!)

The Stones should have a brand new album out to promote by then … this release seems imminent as well.

Stay tuned as more details become available …

But these guys still bring it, all these years on … and have been in the spotlight quite a bit lately again.  They still seem to love performing together ... (and the money ain't bad either!!!)  kk

I finished watching the two-part series on the life of Bill Russell on Netflix last night. I was skeptical prior to the viewing, but immediately got sucked in. There is an incredible amount of vintage footage on the Celtics and early basketball that I was seeing for the first time as when I was a kid, my family did not have a TV, as my parents thought it was unnecessary.

 

I initially became a fan of the Celtics listening to NBA games on the radio in the living room in the mid-‘50’s. My dad rooted for the Lakers, then from Minneapolis, so as a future child of the ‘60’s I rooted for the Celtics. I became an avid Celtics fan and followed them up to the time when the NBA legalized traveling, at which time I completely cut ties with the NBA. The series takes place prior to this and is an excellent series. I was glued to the TV for the two nights that I viewed it.

 

Now how does this tie into Chicago and rock music?

 

There is a minimal soundtrack to this series which, of course, includes Dirty Water by the Standells. After that, there are a couple of soul songs. In the second part of the series, and after his retirement, Bill Russell leaves his family, never really explained, and is driving to California in his Lamborghini to the sounds of “First Train to California” by The Cryan’ Shames. Totally inappropriate, but I loved it. 

 

On a side note ...

 

Let me tell you about my Jeff Beck Breakfast ...

 

While watching the two-part YouTube series, Jeff Beck: His Music and Cars, Jeff mentioned that he was a vegetarian and that his favorite meal was poached eggs and spinach. It sounded good to me, so I had my wife make it for breakfast this morning. It’s a keeper.

Robert Campbell

 

An unusual choice of music, to be sure.  (I'm amazed they were even aware of the song, which never even made The Top 100 in any of the music trades.)  

But we sure loved it here in Chicago ... so kudos to our buddies in The Cryan' Shames ... just think about how many people are going to hear this short snippet when they watch this documentary!  (kk)

 

>>>"CATCH A FALLING STAR" / PERRY COMO - First Song Ever To Receive A "GOLD RECORD"  (FB)

>>>‘Tis true …  From the official RIAA Certification site:  The very first Gold Award was earned on March 14, 1958 to Perry Como for his hit single, “Catch A Falling Star.”  But with time, music changes — and when the popularity of disco music led to a huge boom in music sales in the seventies, RIAA created the Platinum Award to celebrate more than one million sales of a single or album — and the first Platinum Single Award was earned by Johnnie Taylor’s “Disco Lady.”  (Betcha didn’t know THAT one, Frank B!!!)  kk

kk …

You're Right, Kent ... I Didn't Know About "DISCO LADY."

Here are some upcoming March Shows …

MARCH 15 = Peter Asher Told Cousin Brucie About His Appearance At Carnegie Hall  in NYC FOR "THE MUSIC OF Paul McCartney."  I Think It's A Benefit Concert.

MARCH 31 = "COUSIN BRUCIE & FRIENDS" featuring Frankie Avalon + Lou Christie + The Tokens … Carteret Performing Arts Center, New Jersey. Only Three Acts ... Something A Little Different.

A Listener Requested A Song And Didn't Know The Title ... called it "GOOBA-GOOBA-GOOBA."  I Sent Him The Clip Of Dad & Daughter Singing "DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT."

Interesting Question In Glen Fisher's "DOO-WOP RAMBLINGS" …

After A Singer Has Died, Should DJ's Continue To Use Their Voice On Promos?

Readers Voted Yes.

Fred Parris' Wife Emma Told Glen To Continue To Use Fred's Promos.

I Wonder How You And Your Readers Feel About It.

I Think It Should Be Done On An Individual Basis ... Go By The Families Wishes.

FB

I’ve never even given a thought to something like that … but I vote absolutely YES …

And can’t imagine ANY family member NOT wanting to have the voice of their departed loved one live on forever … it’s a GREAT way to preserve the legacy of their recordings and their career … and also a great way for the jock to have them introduce their own record.  I’ll betcha we’d get a resounding YES on this one!  (kk)

Outta time ...

But we'll be back tomorrow ...

With more Burt Bacharach praises.

See you then!  (kk)